Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

You gotta go back to the sixties really. Hitchcock fell in love with the city and filmed there extensively. Bullitt gets filmed there and revolutionizes the car chase and basically creates the first moder police procedural film. And then American Zoetrope was headquartered there.

I love Bullitt but I don't think it created the modern police procedural.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wrt Hitchcock I watched Notorious recently and holy poo poo that is probably a perfect movie

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

If anyone is still interested, here’s some pictures of the “Kinonik Studio” where my dad stores and works on the reels, and where he also does screenings every Wednesday night it seems. I was just talking to him about it - they used to do them at this dilapidated old theater in downtown Portland called “The Movies”, and then they were screening at a local art gallery called “Space” for a while, but that apparently wasn’t too functional. Now they screen here, and it sounds like it’s a pretty fun place to watch a movie with 30-40 folks in there together.

But anyway, here is the place and how it looks! The two girls in the panorama are apparently interns who just began there today, according to my dad. I’m actually a little envious, apparently one of them wanted to just live there full-time and sleep on the couch. I would too!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
House on Telegraph Hill and The Maltese Falcon are also both set in SF.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What are some films set in Paris, Texas?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How is Bringing out the Dead?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I don't think there are any.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Really loving good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Scorsese’s best movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Jay Rust posted:

There's definitely one but I can't remember the name

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Amazing, top 10, worth your time even if you only have a week to live

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Jay Rust posted:

breathless, dazed and confused

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There's definitely one but I can't remember the name

Again, pretty sure there isn't.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

kaworu posted:

If anyone is still interested, here’s some pictures of the “Kinonik Studio” where my dad stores and works on the reels, and where he also does screenings every Wednesday night it seems. I was just talking to him about it - they used to do them at this dilapidated old theater in downtown Portland called “The Movies”, and then they were screening at a local art gallery called “Space” for a while, but that apparently wasn’t too functional. Now they screen here, and it sounds like it’s a pretty fun place to watch a movie with 30-40 folks in there together.

But anyway, here is the place and how it looks! The two girls in the panorama are apparently interns who just began there today, according to my dad. I’m actually a little envious, apparently one of them wanted to just live there full-time and sleep on the couch. I would too!

Your dad kicks rear end.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Again, pretty sure there isn't.

I was making a dumb joke about the movie of that name but yeah it's not actually set in Paris. I thought Bernie was, but I checked and it isn't. Closest though?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The closest Paris, Texas the movie gets to Paris, Texas the city is a photograph.

The original script for Chinatown had zero scenes take place in LA's Chinatown because it's really just a metaphor, but Polanski insisted at least one scene in the movie Chinatown should actually take place in Chinatown so the finale was moved there.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Feb 19, 2024

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

God drat this is sooooooo cool

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

kaworu posted:

You should make a thread about this and we can get it in the next SA highlights Pragmatica does.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

The closest Paris, Texas the movie gets to Paris, Texas the city is a photograph.

The original script for Chinatown had zero scenes take place in LA's Chinatown because it's really just a metaphor, but Polanski insisted at least one scene in the movie Chinatown should actually take place in Chinatown so the finale was moved there.
Yeah it's a real Angela's got no ashes situation

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Miami Connection takes place in Orlando.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The father of internet media criticism and creator of the video essay format has returned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJqarYU5Io

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kaworu posted:

A thing of true beauty.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Miami Connection takes place in Orlando.

French Connection takes place in New York.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The father of internet media criticism and creator of the video essay format has returned

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJqarYU5Io

Orson Welles invented the video essay with F For Fake.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Some fuckers stole my bike last night. I bought an angle-grinder-resistant lock but they just cut through the toughened steel planter to which the bike was locked. We use the bike all the time, for school runs (and errands) so it’s a massive inconvenience, not to mention the cost and rage.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sucks. The only strat is to have piece of poo poo bikes that you don't get care when they're nicked, or else a good bike that you bring indoors. There's nothing an angle grinder won't get to eventually, and nobody gives a gently caress to intervene

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Starship Troopers is trening at twitter because people are claiming that it isn't anti-facsist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And also that helldivers game came out.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

therattle posted:

Some fuckers stole my bike last night. I bought an angle-grinder-resistant lock but they just cut through the toughened steel planter to which the bike was locked. We use the bike all the time, for school runs (and errands) so it’s a massive inconvenience, not to mention the cost and rage.

Keep an eye on fb marketplace and Craigslist. If you see it there, don't bother calling the police, instead say you're interested and go look at it asap. Take it for a test ride and off you go. Have your friend who dropped you off pick you up a couple blocks away.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

regulargonzalez posted:

Keep an eye on fb marketplace and Craigslist. If you see it there, don't bother calling the police, instead say you're interested and go look at it asap. Take it for a test ride and off you go. Have your friend who dropped you off pick you up a couple blocks away.

Yeah, I am tracking all of those plus eBay and Gumtree.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sucks. The only strat is to have piece of poo poo bikes that you don't get care when they're nicked, or else a good bike that you bring indoors. There's nothing an angle grinder won't get to eventually, and nobody gives a gently caress to intervene

It's a cargo e-bike that I use all the time so it's hard to get a beater.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

kaworu posted:

This is so sick. What a setup!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What are some of your favorite films that really let the environment shine? I was watching the trailer for All Dirt Roads Taste of Salt and I just love the atmosphere (also I'm from rural Mississippi but that's here nor there)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiQvFKfpCi4

Also preferably films shot on actual film. They don't have to be, but I do like letting the actual medium shine too.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

about to fire up Pan's Labyrinth for the first time maybe since it came out in theaters.

i'm watching the criterion disc, and there's an option to play an intro by Guillermo del Toro and it's just this like 2 minute thing where he sits in front of a red velvet backdrop saying how he lost 45 lbs making this movie and it almost destroyed and killed him and he hopes you enjoy it!

what the hell was the point of that lol it almost makes me bummed to watch it now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That sounds sick

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ShoogaSlim posted:

about to fire up Pan's Labyrinth for the first time maybe since it came out in theaters.

i'm watching the criterion disc, and there's an option to play an intro by Guillermo del Toro and it's just this like 2 minute thing where he sits in front of a red velvet backdrop saying how he lost 45 lbs making this movie and it almost destroyed and killed him and he hopes you enjoy it!

what the hell was the point of that lol it almost makes me bummed to watch it now.

The movie isn’t gonna make you any less bummed lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched two movies today, War-Gods of the Deep and The Marvels.

War-Gods of the Deep was a lot of fun. Vincent Price as a menacing sea captain, lots of Jules Verne style turn of the century scuba suits, mermen, actual guys in full body merman costumes swimming around and getting into fights the Jules Verne guys, big classic cave sets, a Scottish man with a chicken. Just a fun olde timey sci-fi time.

The Marvels was a bit of a mess. It serves as a sequel to three things; the Ms. Marvel show no one watched, a minor subplot from the Wandavision show, and, and this one's the largest factor, a Captain Marvel movie that does not exist. Like, do you remember at the end of Captain Marvel, Captain Marvel says she's going to go gently caress up the Kree for being bad guys? And then that's just never mentioned again? Well, we discover through flashback like half an hour into this movie that she did do that off screen between movies. She destroyed the giant computer that ran their society and was their god, and also boiled their seas, wiped out most of their atmosphere, and extinguished their sun. And this movie is about one evil Kree lady trying to steal other planet's oceans, atmosphere, and sun in order to save the Kree homeworld.

These fuckin late era Marvel movies are trying to do way too much poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

ShoogaSlim posted:

Optimal viewing conditions.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

She destroyed the giant computer that ran their society and was their god, and also boiled their seas, wiped out most of their atmosphere, and extinguished their sun.

Yeah, I would have liked to see this as an actual movie. We get this brief bit of Captain Marvel as this awe-inspiring figure of terror and then there was nothing else like that in the entire rest of the movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, I would have liked to see this as an actual movie. We get this brief bit of Captain Marvel as this awe-inspiring figure of terror and then there was nothing else like that in the entire rest of the movie.

And the MCU could really use some big epic tentpole movies building up characters at this stage!

I guess they really wanted a multiracial ensemble movie and drat the consequences?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The super loving annoying thing is my mom and her best friend from grade school (who I genuinely call "my other mother") both loved the first Captain Marvel film and my mom watched the Ms Marvel TV show. And so we all watched "The Marvels" together and they were both completely lost. I know post menopausal women isn't the target demographic but I just felt bad recommending it. "Oh, they loved the first one, the three main actresses are super charismatic, this should at least be fun."