Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

What does not "being a snake" do for the person here?
It clearly shows that any "alliances" he might have made using the social contract of the game don't matter and aren't worth making, because all of those players lost to him. So it's way better to just be known as a liar and win than to have to deal with bullshit politics people who can't win are trying to make.

You keep arguing against things that I'm not saying. I think he made the right choice for himself and everyone else at the table was dumb to believe him. I think tweet OP is even dumber for trying to complain about lying in CEDH.

All I'm saying is that it's okay for the other players to say he's a manipulative liar and that there is a little bit of cost to that reputation.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

idk about the seconds/minutes before the video starts but if mfer is casting Silence... why didn't they have a million open information questions thrown at them? lol.

"okay cool, what's in your graveyard"
"Breach"
"yes, a Silence is totally cool to resolve when someone has their primary wincon in their graveyard and mana available"

:thunk:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

this is gonna pop into my head and give me multiple chuckles over the next week, thanks thread

for the love of god folks, please do not under any circumstances trust someone's word in a competitive FFA game

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

this actually reminds me of playing live poker in vegas, where people will get real mad when you check-raise them.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

No one casts Silence on their own turn if they can't win that turn

Big skill issue

no im not going to win. plz trust me. ;___;

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I still don't know why we took the casual fun time format for judges to unwind after a long day of babysitting cut-throat angle shooters into it's own competitive format full of cut-throat angle shooters.

As the cEDH advocates insist: cEDH is commander, just where everyone is bringing a deck and mindset with one focus. To win.

The fact that casual EDH players don’t really want to play with cEDH decks is immaterial. The cEDH players have decided they’re going to take EDH and make it competitive, but there won’t be rules or banlist changes because they don’t want another format (‘because it would die immediately’ seems to be the reason), they want the idea that they’re able to take their decks and sit down and play with someone running a Karona goodstuff deck whenever.

It doesn’t matter that nobody with ever play tymna/kraum against a well constructed 8 for the same reason you don’t just put a legacy control deck against a modern combo deck. The control deck is built with the legacy metagame in mind and even if the combo deck does well, they weren’t really playing the same field because their sideboards are for different metas.

There’s always going to be people who want to push formats to their logical conclusion, and I respect that. But the cEDH community seems big enough to split and be focused on what works best for them. I know it won’t happen, you don’t have to tell me! I’m just here for the growing pains of a format that hasn’t figured out how to do competitive yet, it’s very fun.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

rickiep00h posted:

The idea that casual fun time format means no one tries to win is pretty funny tbh. "Fun" is the most arbitrary and subjective criterion ever. Anyone playing Wrath is a snake.

Yeah I don't think I want to play EDH with you.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

this is gonna pop into my head and give me multiple chuckles over the next week, thanks thread

for the love of god folks, please do not under any circumstances trust someone's word in a competitive FFA game

It's a webcam tournament. I'm already trusting you to infinity.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Chakan posted:

As the cEDH advocates insist: cEDH is commander, just where everyone is bringing a deck and mindset with one focus. To win.

They can insist all they want. I will still believe them wrong to do so.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a webcam tournament.

Also don't do this

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

All I'm saying is that it's okay for the other players to say he's a manipulative liar and that there is a little bit of cost to that reputation.

Yeah, and I'm saying it's not okay to do that, and if you are saying and doing that you're a huge baby who should be playing a different game/going back to regular EDH where people might agree with you.

This tweet sums up my feelings:
https://x.com/siziyman/status/1759516800658616632?s=20

quote:

"I said I'd hold him to his word"

And if I say "if you counter my spell you're a pussy, and you'll cause me unstoppable diarrhea for the next 5 days" during a Standard Pro Tour game, is opponent obligated to not counter my spell?"

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 19, 2024

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Chakan posted:

Someone is going to win every game of Magic. The speed at which that happens is mostly irrelevant and if I get beat before I can do my winning thing, then I get beat.

All this argument is is the newest iteration of the "Netdeckers are fun-hating shitlords" argument. If you don't want to get stomped, don't play against strangers, don't play against your friends who recognize that winning is a part of the game, and especially don't play in tournaments for prizes. It's not a problem inherent to Commander, it's a problem inherent to zero-sum games.

If you're going into a game with the expectation of at least 3 people losing and aren't comfortable with one of them being you, either build a better deck or don't play, because whining about it is loving insufferable.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I have a bomb strapped to my chest that's set to go off if you counter my thassa's oracle. just wanted you to know that before I passed priority

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Someone is going to win every game of Magic

not if I can help it

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, and I'm saying it's not okay to do that, and if you are saying and doing that you're a huge baby who should be playing a different game/going back to regular EDH where people might agree with you.

This tweet sums up my feelings:
https://x.com/siziyman/status/1759516800658616632?s=20

Getting upset about people publicly saying what you did is what makes you a huge baby

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

rickiep00h posted:

Someone is going to win every game of Magic.

Commander legal!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Anyone who pulls that off has won the game they're playing regardless of the official result.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Judgy Fucker posted:

Commander legal!

That's what I'm talkin about!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My win condition is Prisoner's Dilemma.

I don't mean winning via it dealing lethal damage (though that's acceptable), I mean that if I cast it and get to see everyone's face as I explain how it works I have won.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

fadam posted:

Here’s another CEDH conundrum that gets people riled up: you have a Pact of Negation in hand but in hand/board only a way to make 2UU. You’re last in priority order and someone puts a win on the stack. Priority passes to you, Pact is your only relevant interaction- do you cast it?

Me? Absolutely 100% of the time I’m firing it off.

cedh seems cool in the sense that there's no social contract on your deck power beyond the banlist and everyone is there with the intent to win the game but poo poo like this is why i can not imagine ever playing it for actual stakes, like you're just adding social contract stuff back in except now there's money on the line. fwiw i agree with your take on what the player should do

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the magic game engine is ill-suited to ffa multiplayer. it's not anyone's fault that edh games lead to feel bads from social contract manipulation, kingmaking, not playing to win, etc, it's just a natural outcome of trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

FWIW I play CEDH every weekend with a group of fellow 30+ year olds who used to play tons of 60 card formats competitively in our youth and it is a ton of fun. It's an amazing format when everyone sitting down at a table has the same expectations. As much whining and complaining I see about Rule Zero, power imbalances, players being salty etc. whenever I pop into a store and people are playing they all seem to be having a blast.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's also not as much to discuss about people just having normal fun together without notable friction or mismatched play philosophy, which is probably most games and groups of friends.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
All the talk about kingmaking reminds me of a cEDH similar drama that got posted in the EDH thread last May

Toshimo posted:

The full video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnBPxktRjv4

We never find out (in the video, I don't know what was revealed post-game in social media) if the player actually had a counterspell. They may have been bluffing.

And people are REAL MAD on the internet about it.

Toshimo posted:

Just to be clear, if you want to have a nuanced discussion on this, you almost certainly need to watch the video because the length of diacussion and complexity of the gamestate are hard to describe fully.

However, the most comprehensive explanation I can give is:

Gamestate:
Player 1: Has Cloudstone Curio and a 2cmc creature in play. Is known (or strongly suspected) to have a Dockside Extortionist in hand. This turn, has tutored for and is attempting to cast a Grand Abolisher. The entire table has enough knowledge to know that, if the Grand Abolisher resolves, the Dockside/Curio loop is infinite mana this turn and with Jeska as Commander, this is a guaranteed win, barring Otawara/Boseiju.
Player 2: Has a Mindbreak Trap in hand, which is public information because he got it from a prior Thrasios activation. Has exactly 5 mana to hardcast it.
Player 3: Is in blue with mana up and a Thrasios in play. Hand unknown.
Player 4: Has no interaction and no meaningful board.

And here's how it went down:
Player 1: Grand Abolisher.
Player 2: I can hardcast Mindbreak Trap, but I don't want to go shields down by hardcasting it. I want Player 3 to either counter this Grand Abolisher or activate Thrasios. I will be passing priority.
Player 3: You have the only known counterspell. I am not tapping out for you to try and get a free win on your turn. If you pass, I will pass.
Player 2: I pass.
Player 3: I pass.
Player 4: I tap a land for mana. I don't want to lose this way. I reset priority and think you should counter this.
Player 2: I won't hardcast my Mindbreak Trap. I could exile the dockside with it if he tries to go off this turn. Either tap for Thrasios or pass. I pass.
Player 3: I pass.
Player 1: Demonstrates game-winning loops.
Player 2: So, did you have the counterspell?
Player 3: I ain't telling you poo poo.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I also seem to recall a story where someone playing a 60 card format forgot to buy/get/bring the card in his deck that he needed for some combo without which he couldn't win and all he did was show the loop that would fetch/get the winning card but his opponents kept conceding before he had to show the card... does anyone know what i'm talking about?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

W.T. Fits posted:

All the talk about kingmaking reminds me of a cEDH similar drama that got posted in the EDH thread last May

Love the time-honored "I can solve this but I choose not to" announcement.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Strong Sauce posted:

I also seem to recall a story where someone playing a 60 card format forgot to buy/get/bring the card in his deck that he needed for some combo without which he couldn't win and all he did was show the loop that would fetch/get the winning card but his opponents kept conceding before he had to show the card... does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Yeah I remember this story. I'm pretty sure it was Pros Bloom without Drain Life or another kill card but I don't remember the other details. It was a major tournament, maybe a GP?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Strong Sauce posted:

You're probably thinking of this.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Strong Sauce posted:

Lsv realised he didn't have a tendrils, it might've been missing from his sideboard. I think only his finals opponent made him play it out?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sit on my Jace posted:

You're probably thinking of this.

loving fantastic

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

yeah that's the story.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hell yes Frank Horrigan!! Ride's over, mutie!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For the low, low cost of 10 mana and a haste enabler you can make Frank proliferate 8 times in one turn with Saw in Half.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

kalel posted:

I have a bomb strapped to my chest that's set to go off if you counter my thassa's oracle. just wanted you to know that before I passed priority

lmfao

Strong Sauce posted:

As others have linked, that's LSV who is amazing at mind games. The pen trick bluff is another ridiculous maneuver by LSV that would send those cEDH players off a cliff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQKaJrUaYTI&t=2128s

Explanation: LSV drew Settle the Wreckage. If Dezani sends the squad it's all over. Dezani is measuring the board state trying to figure out math for attackers and whether he needs to leave blockers behind. LSV has Adanto, the First Fort in play which if I recall correctly had been used before. While Dezani is trying to figure out whether to attack or not LSV moves his lands so three mana are lined up and grabs the 1/1 Vampire token in his hand, sending a signal that if Dezani attacks he is going to make a vampire token to chump block. Once Dezani attacks he tosses the token aside and casts Settle the Wreckage to wipe Dezani's board, ending the game on the spot. It's a masterful move that LSV is known for making.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aphrodite posted:

My win condition is Prisoner's Dilemma.

I don't mean winning via it dealing lethal damage (though that's acceptable), I mean that if I cast it and get to see everyone's face as I explain how it works I have won.

A game I played yesterday came down to Hot Pursuit's second effect coming into play right at the end. And the look on the other guy's face when he read the second paragraph of a card that had been sitting on the board all game was the best payoff of the whole night.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Enough about dickhead moves in casual games, watch the funniest goddamn edh video ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Go3yByhL8

the part where prof explains mind goblin to Ced, and Jim and Patrick are asphyxiated with laughter is the greatest thing I've watched all week

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Silhouette posted:

Enough about dickhead moves in casual games, watch the funniest goddamn edh video ever made

the part where prof explains mind goblin to Ced, and Jim and Patrick are asphyxiated with laughter is the greatest thing I've watched all week

Yeah this video is just A++ incredible.
"Cedric, if you had a counterspell in your hand and you didn't counter this I'll never forgive you."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cleretic posted:

A game I played yesterday came down to Hot Pursuit's second effect coming into play right at the end. And the look on the other guy's face when he read the second paragraph of a card that had been sitting on the board all game was the best payoff of the whole night.

Yesterday I got to have the perfect Blame Game finish in a 5 player game. 2nd to last turn I played Disrupt Decorum; everyone survived but their boards got really beat up. When it got back to me, I got Fiendish Duo out then played Prisoner's Dilemma. One player snitched, killing two and leaving the last player pretty low. Player 3 there was also mostly tapped out because of the Disrupt Decorum except for some small tokens he had created.

I had Hot Pursuit out from a previous turn and a couple of Suspected creatures were still alive, but the snitch used Assassin's Trophy to blow it up as I went to combat so it passed to him. He dropped Craterhoof for ~5 but only sent 2 attacks at me and the rest at the 3rd player. Duo blocked one to shave off enough and I Deflecting Palmed the other back at him, using the land he gave me.

Then the snitch got beat up in the next game for snitching. It was everything I have ever wanted.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Silhouette posted:

"I have three kids, there's no way you can beat me at this game"
"I'm in my mind palace right now, imagining what my untap step will look like"
"Can I count your deck?"

Just impeccable ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Aphrodite posted:

Yesterday I got to have the perfect Blame Game finish in a 5 player game. 2nd to last turn I played Disrupt Decorum; everyone survived but their boards got really beat up. When it got back to me, I got Fiendish Duo out then played Prisoner's Dilemma. One player snitched, killing two and leaving the last player pretty low. Player 3 there was also mostly tapped out because of the Disrupt Decorum except for some small tokens he had created.

I had Hot Pursuit out from a previous turn and a couple of Suspected creatures were still alive, but the snitch used Assassin's Trophy to blow it up as I went to combat so it passed to him. He dropped Craterhoof for ~5 but only sent 2 attacks at me and the rest at the 3rd player. Duo blocked one to shave off enough and I Deflecting Palmed the other back at him, using the land he gave me.

Then the snitch got beat up in the next game for snitching. It was everything I have ever wanted.

Honestly, I am thrilled by how well-designed Blame Game is for the format it's designed for. It's not that it's powerful (although it's definitely got some muscle behind it), it's just that it's clearly made with such an understanding of how Commander works that it'll just always play pretty well. And the fact that its main strength comes from essentially encouraging everyone to attack each other means that it scales really well to your opponents.