Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

HootTheOwl posted:

There's no siding door near by? For something like this:
https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-slidi...0AaAu_VEALw_wcB

Yeah, as I mentioned, that's exactly what we have now and it sucks. We're also planning to change out the slider for french doors at some point and while they do have options for french doors with a pet door, they're overpriced imo.

pizzadog posted:

Even that one looks cheap to me. I think it depends how confident you are cutting mounting it and sealing it.

Is a new door with one built in doggy door out of the question? it's easier to swap doors off hinges than patch the drywall and insulation, etc.
I put up a wooden screen door and let the dogs walk the the mesh screen though because i do not want them going outside all day when i'm not home.

I know, they all look kinda cheap tbh, even the ones that cost a lot. I'm fine installing it, I've installed windows and this is definitely simpler. We don't have a standard door going out to the backyard so I can't do a door install. When we sell the house, I don't see myself trying to convert back so patching a hole in the future isn't really a concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Today Freja met a new dog. She wasn't very sure to start with and barked at her new friend a lot. She couldn't work out what she didn't like about it, but eventually they became frenemies in my opinion...

She met Boston Dynamics Spot, it was an interesting encounter to say the least! She was so weary and I dont think she really knew why.

Her tail was wagging in her normal friendly manner though, I think I she was a bit anxious and excited at the same time.

She loved the attention she got though from everyone wanting to say hi to her after she finished barking at spot.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
That’s funny. Hard plastic and metal dog is fun to play with if a bit weird.

Newton has gotten comfortable enough in his yard to bark at strangers who come a bit too close. But his warning woofs sound like a steam locomotive starting before the real awoowoos begin (sound):

https://i.imgur.com/kWUears.mp4

Kids riding bikes across the street, crows eating roadkill, or other suspicious activity can get the steam engine going. People coming up to the house get awoowoos, unless they come in the yard, then they get barked at a little and inspected nervously, and if they have treats, they are treated with caution for 15-20 minutes and then they are OK. If they bring a dog, or smell like a dog, they are best buds.

I’ve been working on stepping between him and the intruder and getting a Look At Me, and he stops. It’s not foolproof yet but we are getting there.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Bless him, he's so adorable. I wish Freja could meet Newton! I think they'd be good friends.

She's been out with me today for 2.5 hours walking and doing exposure training and she's shattered now. She's snoring away on the sofa, while sleeping sat upright. She's so odd sometimes but she's finally starting to calm down with people and other dogs and having some self control which I'm very happy about.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

i own every Bionicle posted:

I’ve been working on stepping between him and the intruder and getting a Look At Me, and he stops. It’s not foolproof yet but we are getting there.

Good luck with this, Gabriel is still in the super vigilant phase like this whenever he hears anything "strange" (i.e. anything) it must be barked at. I think a big part of it is he never had a home that was just for him and he's had so much chaos in his early life between being a street dog for ~2 years and then a rescue kennel for 9 months and then a foster for a few more months that I took him from and traumatized him even more :smith:
So now he's just super anxious that someone is going to come and take everything away from him again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Local puppy at the vet blissfully unaware that she'll very soon be way too big to walk under the chairs like this.

Got her next round of vaccinations without a single sound made! Good girl.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Bless him, he's so adorable. I wish Freja could meet Newton! I think they'd be good friends.

She's been out with me today for 2.5 hours walking and doing exposure training and she's shattered now. She's snoring away on the sofa, while sleeping sat upright. She's so odd sometimes but she's finally starting to calm down with people and other dogs and having some self control which I'm very happy about.

I’m sure they would get along great, Newton hasn’t met a dog he doesn’t like. Even the reactive bully mix some guy was walking who was snarling and pulling to get at us, Newton was wagging his tail hoping they could work things out and be buds.

I also just got back from our first longer walk in the woods (kind of). First we went to the town forest but there was a big warning sign saying hunting season was open and to wear orange. Newton looks like a coyote or a deer depending on the angle and I had a black jacket and brown hat so we turned around lest our asses get capped by Bob on his fifth Natty Lite. We went to our rail trail (paved walking path that used to be a railroad) and did a couple miles. He was nervous as hell at first but after a half mile to get away from the road his tail was up and he was happily sniffing and pissing on stuff

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Oliver has started to chew on his own dog tags and the sound of it drives me up a wall because I don’t want him to hurt his teeth. Is there anything I can put on them to maybe discourage putting them in his mouth?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

There are all sorts of souring/bittering sprays out there but ymmv on if your specific dog cares about it

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Can't you just get him a bone or something and give it to him only when he's chewing on the tag
Frejas ostrich bone has been keeping her busy for months now because she doesn't have it all the time.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Oliver has started to chew on his own dog tags and the sound of it drives me up a wall because I don’t want him to hurt his teeth. Is there anything I can put on them to maybe discourage putting them in his mouth?

I mixed apple cider vinegar and white vinegar with some water and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed things Coco needed to stop chewing. Worked like a charm, no chemicals, cheap.

Edit: Coco is getting spayed tomorrow! Funnily enough I'm more nervous than she seems to be! Any commiseration is welcome

Clowner fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Feb 17, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Clowner posted:

I mixed apple cider vinegar and white vinegar with some water and put it in a spray bottle and sprayed things Coco needed to stop chewing. Worked like a charm, no chemicals, cheap.

I regret to inform you that your spray bottle contains acetic acid, some miscellaneous carbohydrates, and water, all of which are chemicals :v:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I bought this thing that was like bitter apple and it tasted like ear wax.
Worked on brisket after like one spray.
Supposed to have been all natural

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I regret to inform you that your spray bottle contains acetic acid, some miscellaneous carbohydrates, and water, all of which are chemicals :v:

Haha no harsh or dangerous chemicals, then. Anyway, point being, it worked, it's cheap, and you may very well already have what you need. And I am to vinegar like Homer Simpson is to donuts: is there anything it can't do?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
How about different dog tags? We have a metal slide on tag that doesn’t dangle. Nothing to chew.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Poor Bubbles got neutered this last week, he is not taking the cone well. We're actually considering asking the vet if it's OK to take it off at like 7 days, he hasn't really so much as rubbed the affected area on something so the cone seems to be primarily just making his ears and neck itch horribly. Admittedly he also found the clever trick of running with it down outside in the snow like a bulldozer to throw snow into the air and eat it; when he came in afterwards he looked like a beagle-flavored snow cone. :lmao:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's like onesies you can use to protect the incision area.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

There's like onesies you can use to protect the incision area.

Our dog had surgery a week and a half ago and we've been having good luck with this option but YMMV.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I may have to murder my adorable idiot loving dog.

Barking at the street at 6am while everyone is sleeping (it's a day off school). I came to the landing to shush him and slipped down 4 steps, hip-checking the railing on my way down.

Gonna be feeling that one for a few days.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Maple is slowly learning to not bite me too much but i still get the occasional scrape from flying teeth when she's in full insane menace mode. Sleeping through the night easily in the crate aside from sometimes indignant "daaaaad i didn't wanna go to bed yeeeet i'm not tiiiiired" noises for a few minutes after going in.

Growing strong and healthy :allears:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Ahh yes, the puppy play blood donation. I know it well.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

MadDogMike posted:

Poor Bubbles got neutered this last week, he is not taking the cone well. We're actually considering asking the vet if it's OK to take it off at like 7 days, he hasn't really so much as rubbed the affected area on something so the cone seems to be primarily just making his ears and neck itch horribly. Admittedly he also found the clever trick of running with it down outside in the snow like a bulldozer to throw snow into the air and eat it; when he came in afterwards he looked like a beagle-flavored snow cone. :lmao:

You can also get those fabric, soft cones. We used them for Freja after her eye surgery.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

You can also get those fabric, soft cones. We used them for Freja after her eye surgery.

Definitely get that or the donut inflatable one.

Don’t deal with the plastic ones.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We ended up returning Diego to his previous owner after another day or so and I stopped coming to the thread because frankly I was pretty loving embarrassed about it. Basically it came down to us really not being up for managing a highly reactive dog and his previous owner insisting that none of the behaviour we were seeing was anything she had ever seen from him before. So because he had a safe place to go back to where he clearly felt more comfortable we asked if she would please take him back and try to find a more suitable rehoming option.

Since then we decided we weren't ready to adopt at all and got in touch with a local rescue to do some fostering so that we could have some dogs in the house again without the big commitment. We fostered back in our 20s when we were too young and flakey to keep a dog had really positive experiences and also as a bonus you get to help dogs find homes! Plus now in the social media era it's an excuse to take a shitload of photos and videos.

Last weekend we picked up a pair bonded seven year old golden retriever and a five year old black lab mix named Jasper and Wallace. These guys were awesome. A bit crazy at times but calmed down nicely, slept through the night after 2 or 3 days, lovely with guests, no reactivity that we saw, etc. etc. And then on Saturday Jasper bit my wife hard twice and almost a third time. The dogs came with some toys and had been great about sharing them, playing tug of war with us and each other, etc. so my wife picked up a couple of new ones at Costco. Jasper started tearing the fake fur off one of them so she calmly told him "ah ah don't do that" and started reaching for the toy and he lost his poo poo and lunged at her. It was like a switch flipped. Our old dog had resource guarding issues (with other dogs, not people) so we're pretty familiar with the warning signs but there was nothing here, just 0-100. She yelled at him and poured her drink on his face and he stopped and then that was it. We got in touch with the rescue to let them know what happened and after thinking it over we also asked them to find another placement for the dogs. My wife feels awful and can't stop blaming herself and we're both really sad now because we really liked those dogs and we were hoping to be able to see them through until their forever home but instead we bounced them out. At the same time I just felt super on edge with Jasper for the entire rest of the time we had him.

Possibly the worst part is we met up with the foster that was taking them (someone who had them before already and who was now actually considering adopting them) and the rescue didn't even loving tell them that Jasper attacked a person. So that tells me that the rescue probably thinks it was our fault or that we were overstating what happened and also who the gently caress knows what else the rescue isn't telling their foster or adoptive families. We sent another email to them last night with a description of what happened and photos of the bites but we haven't heard back.

Anyway I dunno why I'm even posting this. I love dogs so much but I'm starting to feel like maybe I should just get some fish instead because something clearly isn't working here.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Nah, sounds like a lovely rescue.
Even if it was your wife's fault.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

prom candy posted:

We ended up returning Diego to his previous owner after another day or so and I stopped coming to the thread because frankly I was pretty loving embarrassed about it. Basically it came down to us really not being up for managing a highly reactive dog and his previous owner insisting that none of the behaviour we were seeing was anything she had ever seen from him before. So because he had a safe place to go back to where he clearly felt more comfortable we asked if she would please take him back and try to find a more suitable rehoming option.

Since then we decided we weren't ready to adopt at all and got in touch with a local rescue to do some fostering so that we could have some dogs in the house again without the big commitment. We fostered back in our 20s when we were too young and flakey to keep a dog had really positive experiences and also as a bonus you get to help dogs find homes! Plus now in the social media era it's an excuse to take a shitload of photos and videos.

Last weekend we picked up a pair bonded seven year old golden retriever and a five year old black lab mix named Jasper and Wallace. These guys were awesome. A bit crazy at times but calmed down nicely, slept through the night after 2 or 3 days, lovely with guests, no reactivity that we saw, etc. etc. And then on Saturday Jasper bit my wife hard twice and almost a third time. The dogs came with some toys and had been great about sharing them, playing tug of war with us and each other, etc. so my wife picked up a couple of new ones at Costco. Jasper started tearing the fake fur off one of them so she calmly told him "ah ah don't do that" and started reaching for the toy and he lost his poo poo and lunged at her. It was like a switch flipped. Our old dog had resource guarding issues (with other dogs, not people) so we're pretty familiar with the warning signs but there was nothing here, just 0-100. She yelled at him and poured her drink on his face and he stopped and then that was it. We got in touch with the rescue to let them know what happened and after thinking it over we also asked them to find another placement for the dogs. My wife feels awful and can't stop blaming herself and we're both really sad now because we really liked those dogs and we were hoping to be able to see them through until their forever home but instead we bounced them out. At the same time I just felt super on edge with Jasper for the entire rest of the time we had him.

Possibly the worst part is we met up with the foster that was taking them (someone who had them before already and who was now actually considering adopting them) and the rescue didn't even loving tell them that Jasper attacked a person. So that tells me that the rescue probably thinks it was our fault or that we were overstating what happened and also who the gently caress knows what else the rescue isn't telling their foster or adoptive families. We sent another email to them last night with a description of what happened and photos of the bites but we haven't heard back.

Anyway I dunno why I'm even posting this. I love dogs so much but I'm starting to feel like maybe I should just get some fish instead because something clearly isn't working here.

Mate that sounds so rough. I'm sorry you had such an awful time. Don't beat yourself up about it though, it sounds like you guys are being responsible enough to make the right decisions for yourselfs and there's no point t keeping a dog or fostering if you're not feeling up to it, you and the dog are both going to end up miserable and nobody wants that..

I hope your wife's doing ok and doesn't blame herself etc. when the times right I'm sure you'll both give it another shot and if you don't, that's fine too. Maybe when you're ready it's best to get a puppy and raise it yourself in it's entirety. We didn't get a rescue just because we didn't want to deal the issues you came across and we've still ended up with a reactive dog unfortunately.. you can't ever be 100% sure..

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

prom candy posted:

It is much, much better for the dog and for you to admit this to yourself as soon as it starts becoming clear. It's OK to not be able to handle that kind of thing and imo you made the right decision. Don't let anybody give you any poo poo about this.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah you absolutely made the right decision in both circumstances both for yourself and the dogs.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

Yeah you absolutely made the right decision in both circumstances both for yourself and the dogs.

Just emphasizing this.

You did a great job knowing your limits and putting those dogs back in situations that were better for all involved.

Be kind to yourselves!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We definitely want to keep fostering. Having Jasper and Wallace was amazing even though it made me realize I probably don't ever want to have two dogs full-time. We thought about continuing to foster them even but we just felt really uneasy around Jasper after that. He was such a sweet dog the entire rest of the time too. I had really high hopes for this rescue too, they seemed extremely put together compared to the rescue we used to work with 15 years ago.

HootTheOwl posted:

Nah, sounds like a lovely rescue.
Even if it was your wife's fault.

Do you think it could've been her fault? I keep going back to it and it just seems so crazy. We took toys, bones, etc. out of his mouth no problem. He showed no signs of aggression or resource guarding at all. The only hint of it we saw was the boys would play really rough together, but even then it seemed like normal rough dog play (lots of breaks, both dogs choosing to re-engage, never fighting over food or toys.) I hope the people that have them now choose to adopt them because they seemed very nice and we also gave them the full story during the handoff. Who knows if the rescue is gonna tell potential adopters about it, I'm guessing probably not.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Not a certified dog behaviorist, but I wouldn't blame anyone in that situation, especially if other stuff had already been taken away OK. Not your wife's fault imo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
We picked up our dog from the rescue 6 months ago and she's been very sweet without a hint of aggression, letting us fish contraband directly out of her mouth without even so much as pulling away, and she snarled at us for the first time yesterday. She found a swiffer duster within her reach for the first time and decided that this item was so special that she would not even allow us within 3 feet without some serious calming. So yeah, dogs can be unpredictable about random stuff.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I’m so sorry you had two bad experiences and had to give Diego and Jasper/Wallace up. I was a nervous wreck at a couple points the past few months with Newton and all things considered he really hasn’t been challenging at all.

I feel like a rescue not disclosing a bite to a new adopter is asking for a lawsuit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

prom candy posted:

We definitely want to keep fostering. Having Jasper and Wallace was amazing even though it made me realize I probably don't ever want to have two dogs full-time. We thought about continuing to foster them even but we just felt really uneasy around Jasper after that. He was such a sweet dog the entire rest of the time too. I had really high hopes for this rescue too, they seemed extremely put together compared to the rescue we used to work with 15 years ago.

Do you think it could've been her fault? I keep going back to it and it just seems so crazy. We took toys, bones, etc. out of his mouth no problem. He showed no signs of aggression or resource guarding at all. The only hint of it we saw was the boys would play really rough together, but even then it seemed like normal rough dog play (lots of breaks, both dogs choosing to re-engage, never fighting over food or toys.) I hope the people that have them now choose to adopt them because they seemed very nice and we also gave them the full story during the handoff. Who knows if the rescue is gonna tell potential adopters about it, I'm guessing probably not.
I don't.
I'm just saying even in the world where your wife grabbed this dog's tail and put a gun to the other dog's head and said "bite me or else" they should have told the other people.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

prom candy posted:

imo it is generally much, much better to trade something better than to simply take something valuable away from a dog, this is challenging their basic instincts and while you might get away with it a lot of times, it is just so much safer and easier for the dog to learn that "oh hey, this cool thing I found is neat and all but I would 100% rather a nice gob of cheese or a frozen meatball, which I will definitely get in exchange"

this isn't something you can judge is going to be a big deal for any unfamiliar dog until it happens, and if you provoke it bad enough that the dog runs away or other really stressful reaction it makes it harder to fix. better imo to start with the assumption that you should give me the thing you have if I ask because you're getting something even better.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

lmao, Erik, my elderly mini schnauzer (~16 years old) has been whimpering and groaning in obvious distress for the past few hours and just now barfed up and amazing amount of leftover baked chicken that he had for dinner, and then as I was trying to clean it up he and Gabriel were both trying to eat the puke. Beautiful sweet creatures :woof:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Flesh Forge posted:

lmao, Erik, my elderly mini schnauzer (~16 years old) has been whimpering and groaning in obvious distress for the past few hours and just now barfed up and amazing amount of leftover baked chicken that he had for dinner, and then as I was trying to clean it up he and Gabriel were both trying to eat the puke. Beautiful sweet creatures :woof:

Dogs are the best, and also the worst.

I just got back from a beach trip with some friends, and we visited a shop that had two "store labradoodles" wandering around. One of them was the sweetest dog I've ever met -- out of my group, he gravitated to me immediately and sat down next to me and patiently waited for pets, which I happily provided. When I started to walk away, he very gently touched my knee with his paw. "More please?" This happened a couple of times, and then I said "Okay, I need to go now, bye bye!", and he stood up and walked back to the shop owner. So smart and respectful!

It made me start thinking really hard about how much I miss Ahboo. While Kepler is awesome in his own way, he doesn't have the poodle-y personality I loved. I... uh... might need to get a second dog.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Feb 20, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Brisket eating my daughter's spit up is something I probably shouldn't allow but gently caress does it help when I need to take care of her while my hands are full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Brisket eating my daughter's spit up is something I probably shouldn't allow but gently caress does it help when I need to take care of her while my hands are full.

Dogs can be great helpers for kids. When I was little my parents had a Mystery Amish Dog whose name was Georgia. When my sister or I would cry she would howl. My sister is 5 years older so it was discovered before I was around by the following exchange:

sister: *crying*
georgia: AWOOOO
sister: *stops crying, looks at dog, resumes*
sister: *stops crying, looks at dog, resumes*
sister: "STOP THAT, I'M TRYING TO CRY"