Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're aging them down. Persona Babies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jon Irenicus posted:

I wonder if they are gonna age up the new crew in P6 (whenever that happens)

Why would they?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jon Irenicus posted:

I doubt it. Sega already has a JRPG series starring 40somethings in Yakuza now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really don't think the "College/Adult Persona" thing is ever gonna happen, it just seems much less relevant to the target audience and core fantasy of the series and I have doubts the calendar system would even really translate to a university or workplace setting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should make the next persona game about 35 year old computer touchers who spend all day posting on internet forums.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Only if one of them awakens to their persona: Goatse

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should make the next persona game about 35 year old computer touchers who spend all day posting on internet forums.

so all the social links are just Tower, Magician, Hermit and Moon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unironically I do think you could do something interesting with a Persona game where the internet itself is the Big Danger and you can focus on the negative effects of social media and whatnot, with a cast who are not even in the same city but instead befriend one another through the internet. You can play with the idea of someone having an online persona (lol) and an offline persona and how those things mesh.

Not sure if Atlus could do it but I think it could be interesting.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They should make the next Persona game about a group of self-centered friends in 90s New York City, one of whom is a successful stand-up comic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Unironically I do think you could do something interesting with a Persona game where the internet itself is the Big Danger and you can focus on the negative effects of social media and whatnot, with a cast who are not even in the same city but instead befriend one another through the internet. You can play with the idea of someone having an online persona (lol) and an offline persona and how those things mesh.

Not sure if Atlus could do it but I think it could be interesting.

This is just Caligula though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They should make the next Persona game about a group of self-centered friends in 90s New York City, one of whom is a successful stand-up comic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY7ABD8gKeU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

This is just Caligula though

I am thinking a bit less obscured, like logging in/logging off is part of the gameplay loop.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The hermit SL already exists in P3 though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Prestige live-action television series where the protagonists are adults who awaken their personas...and their personas are the characters of Persona 5

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jon Irenicus posted:

they are never going to have a persona cast older than high school seniors because the target audiences for persona are highschoolers and 20-40 year old burnouts who wish they could do highschool again except that this time they're popular. the second group of people are understandably unwilling to admit that that's what they are so they ask questions like "when are they going to make a persona game with an older cast for people like me?" but in reality, neither they nor anyone else would enjoy a persona game where the main cast consisted of overworked salarymen and college dropouts; the life sim aspects would simply be too sad juxtaposed against the flashy battles and the result would be a game with a more depressing tone than the one where your standard combat action is shooting yourself in the head

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ytlaya posted:

Prestige live-action television series where the protagonists are adults who awaken their personas...and their personas are the characters of Persona 5
Group of plucky Japanese high school students start playing a video game about a goofy but earnest former Yakuza who is way too into Dragon Quest, who starts playing a modern RPG about a group of plucky Japanese high school students who are playing a video game about....

It's called At Swim-Two-Dragons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

they are never going to have a persona cast older than high school seniors because the target audiences for persona are highschoolers and 20-40 year old burnouts who wish they could do highschool again except that this time they're popular. the second group of people are understandably unwilling to admit that that's what they are so they ask questions like "when are they going to make a persona game with an older cast for people like me?" but in reality, neither they nor anyone else would enjoy a persona game where the main cast consisted of overworked salarymen and college dropouts; the life sim aspects would simply be too sad juxtaposed against the flashy battles and the result would be a game with a more depressing tone than the one where your standard combat action is shooting yourself in the head

I mean Like A Dragon is right there.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

We did get Catherine so not all hope's lost yet. I admit I kinda disliked that entire game except for the OST but hey :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean Like A Dragon is right there.

That is a different game series OP. One piece of evidence is that they are by different publishers. Another is that they have different names

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Wait.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

P3R's new not-quite-social-link events........can give Personas for completing them?? Boy I sure hope someone who has not been around for the past 10 hours didn't have one \

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Persona game where the protagonist is none other than the famous persona Jack Frost, accompanied by his friends Pyro Jack, King Frost, and Black Frost. It takes place in the Demon World, which is where all the personas come from, like in the manga Zatch Bell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That is a different game series OP. One piece of evidence is that they are by different publishers. Another is that they have different names

They literally shared staff. If you want a goofy-rear end JRPG starring 40 somethings which even has social links and social stats and collecting monsters and where you can listen to the Persona soundtrack then Infinite Wealth is probably the closest you're going to get.

Artelier posted:

Wait.

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

P3R's new not-quite-social-link events........can give Personas for completing them?? Boy I sure hope someone who has not been around for the past 10 hours didn't have one \

I'm afraid he does. It's Hell Rider.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lad and persona's pacing are dfiferent tho. lad is a crime drama with goofy hang out segments you dont play the story day by day as a lifesim

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

lad and persona's pacing are dfiferent tho. lad is a crime drama with goofy hang out segments you dont play the story day by day as a lifesim

Oh, it's not 1-for-1, but if you're looking for "Persona but you play as an old" you're honestly not going to come closer.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

neonchameleon posted:

Well, that and the Pokemon-collection to fight.

But the key thing about social links is the consistency and variety. If we ignore core party members, any central questgiver (so Igor, ME2's TIM, etc.) and the main villain how many RPGs can you name that have a dozen or so separate character whose primary relationship to you isn't "questgiver" (yes, each S-link has a quest but that's not normally the primary relationship) and who have enough depth to the writing that all dozen go through a complete character arc and have a dozen scenes? And in addition to this they all have different personalities (because each is inspired by a different arcana).

This gives the Persona (3+) games a dozen side characters everyone can remember and that have at least two and on a good day three dimensions to the character - and the S-link system points you to keep going back to them. It doesn't matter that most of them are mediocre (and a few are genuinely bad); they show up in a way that they do in almost no other RPG. And a dozen 2+ dimensional side-characters (in addition to the normal array of side characters and villains) means that the world feels populated in depth.

How many other RPGs can you think of that do this? The party is normally pretty decent in any RPG as are the main region rulers/bosses. But, with the exceptions of Baldur's Gate 3, Witcher 3, and Hades (which copied this part of Persona's homework) how many others that neither rule a region nor fight with or against the party and are present for more than about a scene? If I look at the normally extremely well regarded ME2 I can recall about a dozen squadmates, TIM in the Igor-role, some region boss equivalents (even ME2 Aria or the Quarian admirals aren't really any deeper than a P3R palace ruler), and as genuine side characters ... Conrad Verner, Kal'Regar, and punchable reporter. ME2 is written well enough that I can recall other characters such as "Biotic God Volus" and "Quarian on Citadel struggling with pilgramage" - but these are one dimensional characters, basically present for a single scene.

This means that we have a dozen characters per Persona game that have lives that don't revolve around our protagonist and aren't just waiting for the protagonist to show up and offer you a quest on first meeting (you need to rank them up half a dozen times before they will ask for something) and that you can see continue with their lives. So they feel much more like real people. And this means that even if the individual links aren't always great the structural effect makes the characters more real and with it the world.
It might be a bit of a stretch to call it an RPG, but My Time At Sandrock hits all of those notes and does so very well.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Ytlaya posted:

Persona game where the protagonist is none other than the famous persona Jack Frost, accompanied by his friends Pyro Jack, King Frost, and Black Frost. It takes place in the Demon World, which is where all the personas come from, like in the manga Zatch Bell.

If I told you that this already existed I know you’d be seeing red

because Jack Bros is a Virtual Boy game and therefore looks like this:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Finished Reload. While I was a bit saddened at first by the removal of the more rough elements of p3, I got over it pretty fast and enjoyed my time. All the extra little scenes they added helps some of the more dead sections of the game pacing wise and the male party member hangouts were an extremely good addition and I very much enjoyed the little plots each of them had, especially Ken and Shinjiro.

The few extra Takaya scenes were a nice addition too but I still think Strega is kind of weak as an antagonist group, not the biggest deal though and I appreciate the effort to give at least a bit more characterization to them all. Overall very pleased with the whole package and I'll be curious to see how they mess with The Answer.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I do feel Reload errs a little too close to a shot for shot remake with the social links, but I do enjoy the new gameplay elements such as Theurgy and Monad doors. The link events are also a great addition, and I appreciate that the dorm events give more to do at night after you max out your social stats. I never really cared for Strega outside of Chidori so Takaya's extra scenes are whatever. Asking him why he doesn't wear a shirt when given the chance is a real power move though, gotta respect that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

If I told you that this already existed I know you’d be seeing red

because Jack Bros is a Virtual Boy game and therefore looks like this:

Whoa!

I actually had a Virtual Boy, but I only had two games for it (Mario Tennis and some space ship thing). I thought it was actually really cool, even if it gave me a headache.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I do feel Reload errs a little too close to a shot for shot remake with the social links, but I do enjoy the new gameplay elements such as Theurgy and Monad doors. The link events are also a great addition, and I appreciate that the dorm events give more to do at night after you max out your social stats. I never really cared for Strega outside of Chidori so Takaya's extra scenes are whatever. Asking him why he doesn't wear a shirt when given the chance is a real power move though, gotta respect that.

Were the various NPCs talking about Strega people before the story really introduces them in the original?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
The rumors about Strega and their appearances before formally engaging the party existed in the original, but the scenes focusing around the MC and Takaya are new to Reload.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
there's something more closely connected when we talk about Persona But Adult:

Metaphor Re:Fantazio's party seems to be adults, if young ones, mostly, and we have an image of an old man party member as well

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It is also a fantasy game and not what people are really talking about when they want Persona: Adult I think.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

persona 2: eternal punishment 2...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Persona but instead of taking place over the course of one year it takes place over the course of decades and half your social links decay irreparably due to falling out of contact, death, or addiction.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Gotta get to the social link rank 6 scene with The wheel of fortune where you run into him during your lunch break at work and he's drunk to the point of slurring his words.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i am very annoyed that you can't decline the extra shuffle time cards that Justice gives you because I got a shuffle time that only had 2 cards in it and had to fill one of my major arcana slots with Temperance, a card that does literally nothing because my social stats are maxed

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think the only major change I would deviate from the original might be moving one of the daytime links to nighttime, to make maxing everyone less strict, but that's just me. Very weird to only have two links at night, and even though they've given you more to do at night now, you'll still run out of things to do.

Even just allowing you to go to the shrine at night would be fine. You do get the website to progress links so you can spend time on that, but it's gotten really late in the game.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hermit could easily have been a nighttime SL. I don't know of any MMORPG degens that play only on weekends.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Moon is probably the best candidate to get pushed to night. Nothing happens in the link that would need to be re-written because of the time change and Nozomi hangs out at the mall which you can still access at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Jon Irenicus posted:

lmao the fusion fail caught me off guard and got a nice snort out of me

https://i.imgur.com/56yaFjM.mp4