Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
I can get matching bins for my Stanley cup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Rufio posted:

I can get matching bins for my Stanley cup?

You must not be from Toronto.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Those Stanley parts organizers also come in a double depth variety too which can hold a decent amount of hardware each.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I forget who recommended this, but yeah this stuff is the poo poo. I would not have been able to swap out my shower mixing cartridge without it!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ah, it's the view from inside the goatse.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

I forget who recommended this, but yeah this stuff is the poo poo. I would not have been able to swap out my shower mixing cartridge without it!

I was one of several people who did, glad it's working out for you.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Trabant posted:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

First time I tried to get the cartridge in I only applied the grease to the silicon bits, then I put it all around the cartridge, then I put some on the inside of the pipe, then FINALLY I smeared it on every surface I could reach within the pipe and it finally worked.

Definitely used like 3x as much lube as they provided, so yeah your rec definitely saved my rear end!!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The thing I don't like about those stanley/packout parts bins is that the lid takes up a ton of space on a bench and I need to store alot more screws than that. Like several different ~5# boxes of 1000 screws of several different sizes . I probably should get a parts bin and keep it stocked for working out of the shop as an easy 'grab this and know you have a handful of every screw size' and not lug around entire boxes of screws tho, and then how well whatever boxes I wind up with for the shop stack doesn't matter so much.

Is the little rack those Akrobins clip on easily DIY-able? I need some narrow flat storage for sandpaper as well but they don't make a great container size for that.

Initially I was gonna say something facetious about a brake and some light tack welds, but ya know? Now that I look at it... that might not actually be the worst thing to DIY at all:

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1488/Bin-Organizers/Standard-Mobile-Stackble-Bin-Organizer-36-x-58?ImagePopupIndex=0

Some C or U Channel stock, drill & indent tool, rivet gun, casters, a good afternoon, and Bob's your uncle.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

What's the difference between it and something like red n tacky?

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Super lube tastes better. I wouldn’t use red auto grease in a potable water supply.

But red tacky is probably a better grease if you’re not going to eat it.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 8, 2024

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bob Mundon posted:

What's the difference between it and something like red n tacky?

It's much lower viscosity than red n tacky, and it's food and body contact safe so you can put it on pretty much anything safely.

Safely for you at least, I'm sure there's some material out there it'll damage over time.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah it’ll dissolve latex condoms, and some other rubbers like EPDM and SBR.

https://www.super-lube.com/Content/...0Elastomers.pdf

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I have a Makita LS1219L that I'm going to be using to do some work outside this spring/summer. I'd like to get a portable miter saw stand so I can bring it inside at the end of the day.

I was original looking at the Makita WST01N but it seems to have mixed reviews. A lot of people seem to like the Bosch T4B stand.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with either stand or had recommendations on another one I should look at.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Trabant posted:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a pretty cheap Einhell table saw and I am pissed off that the T-tracks are a non-standard size and don't fit any loving accessories.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I work with a commercial cleaning business. We usually use little baby electric pressure washers for our pressure washing jobs, because our most demanding use cases are usually spraying off pool decks or removing bird poop from sidewalks. We also do construction jobs, which means we appreciate the extra PSI and don't always have access to corded power.
We had an emergency job come up when our gas washer was tied up, and I rented a 3700 PSI gas pressure washer for a day for $100 from Home Depot. It performed well and I want to add another gas washer to our supply.
I saw that Home Depot was selling a retired rental pressure washer identical to the one I just rented for $300. Any experiences with buying used rental tools from Home Depot? Use case here is it's going to live in a cargo van and get used for an hour 3-4 times per week.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

canyoneer posted:

I work with a commercial cleaning business. We usually use little baby electric pressure washers for our pressure washing jobs, because our most demanding use cases are usually spraying off pool decks or removing bird poop from sidewalks. We also do construction jobs, which means we appreciate the extra PSI and don't always have access to corded power.
We had an emergency job come up when our gas washer was tied up, and I rented a 3700 PSI gas pressure washer for a day for $100 from Home Depot. It performed well and I want to add another gas washer to our supply.
I saw that Home Depot was selling a retired rental pressure washer identical to the one I just rented for $300. Any experiences with buying used rental tools from Home Depot? Use case here is it's going to live in a cargo van and get used for an hour 3-4 times per week.

I worked at a Home Depot Tool rental for a while. I would say generaly the used tools are a decent deal but the specifics of whether an individual tool is decent is going to depend on if your local TR maintained it correctly and how hard its life was. Selling of tool while I was there was based soley on calender time(I think around two years for a pressure washer) so if the machine you want wasn't run much it could be like new. Most of the gas engines had a tach/hour meter (small black plastic box with an lcd) so you could look at that to see what its run hours were.

When a tool went for sale we were given a price sheet with suggested/min price from corporate so if you're nice about it , and the TR persons in a good mood you can negotiate a little on price. Assuming we weren't too busy we also would have been more than happy to set it up and run it so you can test it out, we also had a guage that could be hooked up inline to check the pressure was correct(could clue you into failing pump), but I think we ordered that and it wasnt standard for all TRs so you local place might not have it.

Any of the specifics could have changed its been 8 years or so since I was there but hope I helped a little.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Direct Tools Outlet is running 30% off sale for President's Day. The kicker is that there's free shipping for $99+ orders.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?query=

It's not bad, but not great. It's good if you need some tools that aren't on Home Depot Ryobi days/hack sales.
As usual check price histories at https://darn.tools/ to sanity check the DTO sale price
On that note...

Slugworth posted:

The margin on those nailers must be the only thin one in their lineup. Some day I'll just suck it up. Some day.

Your finish nailer is finally un-stuck from 22% off, so now it's catching sales. :toot:
Whether 30% off + Free shipping ($126 out the door) is worth it, that's up to you. It has been cheaper in the past, but whether that was paired with free shipping :shrug:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P326

Price history: https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=P326

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeAuMaN posted:

Direct Tools Outlet is running 30% off sale for President's Day. The kicker is that there's free shipping for $99+ orders.
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/search?query=

It's not bad, but not great. It's good if you need some tools that aren't on Home Depot Ryobi days/hack sales.
As usual check price histories at https://darn.tools/ to sanity check the DTO sale price
On that note...

Your finish nailer is finally un-stuck from 22% off, so now it's catching sales. :toot:
Whether 30% off + Free shipping ($126 out the door) is worth it, that's up to you. It has been cheaper in the past, but whether that was paired with free shipping :shrug:
https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/P326

Price history: https://darn.tools/products.html?modelNumber=P326

Awesome, thanks for looking out, I pulled the trigger!

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Awesome, thanks for looking out, I pulled the trigger!
:toot: make sure to let us know how it performs.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

BeAuMaN posted:

:toot: make sure to let us know how it performs.
Wtf? Why would you curse me with trim work?? I don't want to use it, I want to have it.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Slugworth posted:

Wtf? Why would you curse me with trim work?? I don't want to use it, I want to have it.
It is the tool thread curse: One goon must actually use the tool so five other goons can buy the tool and stow it away, saying how they knew a goon in the tool thread who had great experiences with the tool when they tell their friends.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Not really 'tools' but what's a good brand of double sided tape? I got some 'Duck' brand and it's terrible, really weak and very hard to peel the backing off the second sticky side. It's more like a layer of sticky film than tape.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

3M, Gorilla or Scotch. I don't think I've ever had a roll of tape from Duck that I was happy with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The 3M stuff has never let me down

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
I've had good luck with this stuff. Some other double sided tape is thicker more for carpet but this is like regular masking tape but double sided. The other options mentioned may be just as good too though, but only tried this one.

Intertape Flat Back Paper Double Sided/Stick Tape for Woodworking 1" x 36 yds https://a.co/d/hqn5PjU

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Feb 26, 2024

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
18 months after buying my cool old Craftsman push screwdriver I finally got around to filling a Lee Valley cart with $50+ for free shipping on the hex adapter so I can use it with modern hex screwdriver bits.
Gotta fill the cart, so I added these retracting ratchet straps
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/home/storage/straps-and-lifting/116343-quickloader-auto-retract-ratchet-straps?item=99W9733

I hope they're as cool as I think they are. I have a complicated relationship with ratchet straps. Most times, I end up just getting annoyed with them and tie knots in rope or webbing instead. I am above average in knot tying skills, but also grossly incompetent in ratchet strap usage.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
You must work with me. Seems like most of the people I work with can't seem to understand the concept of ratchet straps.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

canyoneer posted:

18 months after buying my cool old Craftsman push screwdriver I finally got around to filling a Lee Valley cart with $50+ for free shipping on the hex adapter so I can use it with modern hex screwdriver bits.
Gotta fill the cart, so I added these retracting ratchet straps
https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/home/storage/straps-and-lifting/116343-quickloader-auto-retract-ratchet-straps?item=99W9733

I hope they're as cool as I think they are. I have a complicated relationship with ratchet straps. Most times, I end up just getting annoyed with them and tie knots in rope or webbing instead. I am above average in knot tying skills, but also grossly incompetent in ratchet strap usage.

Great, now I'm buying some, too!

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
My kids have taken to doing demo derby with their RC cars, so I needed a glue gun more than usual. If you're Team Green, you can get their nicest glue gun (P307) right now, and they'll throw in a 2 Ah high-performance battery for free.

BUT, turns out they'll also pay you $12 to give you 24 extra glue sticks with the same tool. So $54 for a glue gun and a free battery, or a battery for half-off and a free glue gun, however you want to look at it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

umbrage posted:

My kids have taken to doing demo derby with their RC cars, so I needed a glue gun more than usual. If you're Team Green, you can get their nicest glue gun (P307) right now, and they'll throw in a 2 Ah high-performance battery for free.

BUT, turns out they'll also pay you $12 to give you 24 extra glue sticks with the same tool. So $54 for a glue gun and a free battery, or a battery for half-off and a free glue gun, however you want to look at it.

Ther first listing:

quote:

Battery and charger sold separately

The second listing:

quote:

Cordless Dual Temperature Glue Gun: Battery and charger sold separately

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

Ther first listing:

The second listing:

If you scroll down there's a "free gift" thing where the only thing you can pick is a free battery.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
I thew that thing in a DTO order a while back because it was like $12 and its been surprisingly handy/useful. Like most goofy neon green tools.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Danhenge posted:

If you scroll down there's a "free gift" thing where the only thing you can pick is a free battery.

I had to put it in the cart, then go back into the cart and click on it to see that. It did in fact say "free". But when you add it to the cart it's not.

What a trash fire of a web site.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Why is this so compelling over a $10-20 corded with a bunch of sticks which will likely last until the end of time? Is it $53 2ah battery+charger?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

I had to put it in the cart, then go back into the cart and click on it to see that. It did in fact say "free". But when you add it to the cart it's not.

Agreed, but also works for me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Is it $53 2ah battery+charger?

For me yes, that looked like a 1/2 price battery+ charger combo and the tool was irrelevant, but potentially useful in the right situation.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Motronic posted:

They may only apply it when you're checking out?

Definitely agree the HD's website is dogshit, but I seem to remember something stupid like that the one time I've ordered through them for a sale?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

They may only apply it when you're checking out?

Definitely agree the HD's website is dogshit, but I seem to remember something stupid like that the one time I've ordered through them for a sale?

I added it again from the link I got from the cart, which then had me on a different add a gift screen, then deleted the old one out of the cart and it eventually worked by making the tool $33 and the battery $22.

I think I'm going to be an rear end in a top hat and return the tool, just because they made me go through this.