Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I did it, finally beat Dark Souls, feels real good. Have no desire to new game plus that poo poo but am very happy I beat it.

Gonna hold off on DS2 until after Final Fantasy but I look forward to the next one

TontoCorazon has issued a correction as of 03:19 on Feb 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ojetor posted:

felt. I resub every two years or so and have to look up what insanely complex rotation is in vogue now and spend ages actually getting it down. not helped at all by the fact i play mostly MNK because i am incredibly stupid like the idea of punching big monsters to death

I mostly play tank because of this. Tanking in normal content is braindead easy, and you're left with an actual simple rotation. You'll also never die during questing.

FF14 has some really cool elements to the way it's boss fights work, but its core button-pressing gameplay has never been good. You just press buttons and the characters does an animation followed by a particle effect - there's no real sense of "oomph" to it*. It's just various different rotation "algorithms" that gradually become very complex for most DPS jobs (largely in an attempt to keep them feeling distinct).

I think the only truly unique-feeling DPS job is Black Mage. All the others are just various complex button algorithms with various gimmicks related to positioning, meters, or stuff like Ninja's thing.

FF14 is still the best MMO though, because its story and setting is enjoyable. And I feel like it's approach to boss encounter design might actually necessitate how "static" all the jobs feel, since they need to avoid too much variation in player character abilities.

* even WoW pulls this off better IMO, with various attacks appearing like actual projectiles or involving more dynamic character movement.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WoW button pressing is worse

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm not going to do any content that will require optimal button pressing this mmo tour. I used to, did the Eden raids and I logged in with a full set of Cryptlurker FF8 style gear.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

I did it, finally beat Dark Souls, feels real good. Have no desire to new game plus that poo poo but am very happy I beat it.

Gonna hold off on DS2 until after Final Fantasy but I look forward to the next one

Honestly going in order really isn't necessary or even great, DS3 follows from DS1 a lot in more than just mechanics and is, imho, far more fun in every single way. Or just jump to Elden Ring. Shorter too but I'm not one to judge because I take FOREVER to beat these games because I want to linger in my first playthrough as long as I can.

Oh and the other nice thing is that you've now got 90% of the controls and expectations down and can slide into a new one in no time at all

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Oh and the other nice thing is that you've now got 90% of the controls and expectations down and can slide into a new one in no time at all

beating the titanite and katana dude no problem when you know theyre their to teach noobs a lesson ftw

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its crazy how much better ds3 looks for there being only 5 year span between them

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Woke Mind Virus posted:

I just want to game

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I looked at steam and found out that Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. It's a technical Edelweise platformer where you power up your stats by growing rice. The rice simulation is detailed, immaculate, and gorgeous. I highly recommend it at full price of $30.. and now it is 50% off for 14.99.

Here is a review from agriculture.com.ph

Sketchylink posted:

Critics have long argued that video games are a waste of time because players don’t learn anything from them. This game proves them wrong.

A Japanese rice farming video game called Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin’s gameplay is so intricate and realistic that many gamers have been visiting Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries website to find techniques on how to play it.

The game developer, Edelweiss, conducted careful research about agriculture through visiting major libraries in Japan, reading papers and books by agriculture professionals, and personally experiencing rice cultivation. This was the reason behind the realistic portrayal of rice farming in the said game.

Many gamers expressed their feedback about the game and shared that they, too, had to visit their country’s agriculture website to search for good strategies. The game presents Sakuna, a harvest goddess who’s on a journey towards home while battling demons along the way. Progress is also determined by how good Sakuna’s harvest is every year. The game shows a detailed process of planting, cultivating, and harvesting rice that will surely familiarize players with the farming methods.

Now to see if any of Sakuna’s players take up rice farming in real life.

The earliest guides came from Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries so like yeah, it's good.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
also lol at them taking the ds2 hub but making it the royal bathroom. Some big asses sat in those chairs

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

KirbyKhan posted:

I looked at steam and found out that Sakuna of Rice and Ruin. It's a technical Edelweise platformer where you power up your stats by growing rice. The rice simulation is detailed, immaculate, and gorgeous. I highly recommend it at full price of $30.. and now it is 50% off for 14.99.

The earliest guides came from Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries so like yeah, it's good.

can confirm that Sakuna (the Filipino word for "[natural] disaster") has very realistic farming mechanics

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

It's a wonderful game, I recounted my own playthrough in this thread awhile back.

And the part that Kirby left out is the OTHER half of the game is a side scrolling crazy beat'em up where you're just tearing rear end around the place, and the rice growing and this part both feed into each other such that you'll always get better at both no matter what you're doing. I just grew the perfect rice for like 3 years in a row, doing nothing else but monitoring water and bugs and fertilizer mix, then tore through the final stretch of the game without even going below 80% health.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Third World Reagan posted:

your lack of imagination is amazing

we watched star ship troopers on the bus on the way to boot camp

To be fair, everybody in the movie was hot. Also, it is always funny to yell "MEDIC!" when someone beefs it.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

Honestly going in order really isn't necessary or even great, DS3 follows from DS1 a lot in more than just mechanics and is, imho, far more fun in every single way. Or just jump to Elden Ring. Shorter too but I'm not one to judge because I take FOREVER to beat these games because I want to linger in my first playthrough as long as I can.

Elden Ring is the first From game I beat. Played DS1 like 10 years ago and washed out hard within like the 1st hour and never thought about it again, I guess because it was something so foreign to me.

I've played Bloodborne and Sekiro as well, super loved them but burned out on those pretty hard and never beat them. Like I felt like I was going nowhere in those games and the thought of continuing gave me serious anxiety.

I've also been replaying Elden Ring infrequently with my brother using the seamless coop mod and I don't know if I can ever replay it again alone. It just feels like such a new game with that mod

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I got a ps5 and its a clown console

- can't use a custom domain email address to register a psn account, .me isn't a valid TLD apparently?, so that was frustrating
- can't use paypal because my paypal email address is the same custom domain and sorry its still not valid (paypal thinks its valid!)
- no audio out anywhere on this, so I have to buy a HDMI audio extractor or run a 10' headphone cable from my computer monitor to a TRS stereo breakout and then into my mixer
- no bluetooth audio support? lmao???

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

KirbyKhan posted:

That actually owns

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Salt Fish posted:

I got a ps5 and its a clown console

- can't use a custom domain email address to register a psn account, .me isn't a valid TLD apparently?, so that was frustrating
- can't use paypal because my paypal email address is the same custom domain and sorry its still not valid (paypal thinks its valid!)
- no audio out anywhere on this, so I have to buy a HDMI audio extractor or run a 10' headphone cable from my computer monitor to a TRS stereo breakout and then into my mixer

The Bluetooth point is the one that pisses me off the most, Sony being greedy fucks, the only Bluetooth device they allow is their own poo poo. Sony sucks so much

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Salt Fish posted:

you have to buy an official Sony headset

lol even the Switch has bluetooth audio

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My ps5 is good

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
still crazy to me that Elden Ring not only came out, but turned out to be the greatest game ever made. miracles do come true.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I actually don't know what a technical Edelweise platformer is so maybe Kirby also mentioned the beat'em up part after all

Ben Nerevarine posted:

still crazy to me that Elden Ring not only came out, but turned out to be the greatest game ever made. miracles do come true.

It's wild, and in theory eventually we'll even be getting a DLC

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i actually finished Elden Ring. not 100% but still. i don't do that very often these days.

Sakuna is cute. i finished that one too. rice farming and then eating a meal with your pals is quite cozy.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Also Demon Souls is SEVENTY DOLLARS wtffff

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

finished myth: the fallen lords. its really good but a little disappointing that you never get to see a truly big battle and just hear about how totally cool it was, trust me bro you shouldve been there, in the mission briefings.

my big annoyance with it is that the tactics part of the game just involve failing repeatedly or savescumming and memorizing what bad poo poo is going to happen and then just beating the level with all that foreknowledge, but dont anticipate stuff too much because you can break the scripting and have to restart anyway.

i think the game wouldve been half as long if any of the units could just loving run instead of sauntering along and giving me ptsd flashbacks of playing diablo 1 with a melee character, especially when the number one tactic is to turn your units away from the enemy so they run up to you to attack and then turning around to whack them before they get a chance to run away again

i think ill take a break before starting myth 2

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the second myth game is much much better and my main tactic in that one involved heavy use of explosives

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I always heard that Myth 3 was bad but I never got why. It even went full 3D!

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Hello extremely! I hope I like to *play*

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Al! posted:

the second myth game is much much better and my main tactic in that one involved heavy use of explosives

Casualty!

Casualties.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Al! posted:

dwarf mortars are incredible and hilarious

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

If I existed in the 40k universe I want to be a genestealer cultist

Break your chains comrades equality for all! :zerg:

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
ive been playing rain code: detective some bullshit and its p great

it was made by the dangonronpa guys and i find that it took most of what made that series interesting to me and made it better while leaving out all the dating poo poo

im only about halfway through and there have still been some annoying and repetitive parts but nothing as bad as the dangonronpa games and i def recommend it if that is ur poo poo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm not going to do any content that will require optimal button pressing this mmo tour. I used to, did the Eden raids and I logged in with a full set of Cryptlurker FF8 style gear.

Same, but I still feel bad if I'm not doing things more-or-less correctly (and most DPS are pretty dysfunctional if you're not doing something more-or-less corresponding to their correct rotations).

Actually getting good at DPS jobs is completely impossible for me, though. Something about my brain makes it inherently impossible for me to simultaneously keep track of what the boss is doing and "where I am in my rotation." Hell, even the latter by itself would be hard. Like I'll be doing Dragoon and suddenly forget which of the two "halves" of its rotation I'm currently on.

I'm still going to do a DPS (I'm thinking Ninja) for Dawntrail though, just to make leveling a little more enjoyable. Ninja is actually one of the more tolerable DPS jobs for me, because I can actually commit the mudra stuff to muscle memory, which effectively means there's slightly fewer "buttons" to remember.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hello extremely! I hope I like to *play*

orz are such a great lovecraftian horror story

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Also Demon Souls is SEVENTY DOLLARS wtffff

I will sell you a copy for $40

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

I always heard that Myth 3 was bad but I never got why. It even went full 3D!

it's a different sort of game made by a different company and team so it's mostly people mad it was called myth 3

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

RandolphCarter posted:

I will sell you a copy for $40

Sorry used games are illegal on the PS5 digital only edition.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Whirling posted:

Warhammer 40k is the embodiment of the "eat the bugs, live in the pod, own nothing" lifestyle that every right-wing guy freaks out about and yet they all love the concept and want to live on a hive world or some poo poo.

hell,

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
if you cant tell the difference between a pepe and a peepo go loving educate yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
lol at baby flag in ds3:dafuq: