Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

there a working link to the discord? i'm thinking about clickin on this one and want a discord to hang out on this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Martout posted:

I'm going to start Falconer and try to create some kind of explosive trap detonating arrow build. Some of the nodes in the explosive trap skill tree look nuts with traps throwing more traps and traps shooting detonating arrows and I want to see if it can be made into a functioning build :D

This build has been extensively theory-crafted already and is likely to be a popular one on launch (albeit with blast rain/bows rather than actually throwing traps). Don't watch this video if you want to figure it out on your own though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3Wv6aKN5g

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gnoma posted:

Both letools and maxroll panners are updated for 1.0 now, including uniques

Huh... Digging through all the data, it seems like Detonating Charge, the subskill flagged as the version of Explosive Trap that you attach to enemies with melee attacks, is tagged as a Bow attack? And lightning? As opposed to throwing, melee, or fire. That seems very wrong to me. Although I'm not sure how much I should trust a pre-release version of a hidden, uncastable skill.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 20, 2024

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Wraithlord's Harbour looks cool as hell.

municipal shrimp
Mar 30, 2011

I think the link in the OP is broken but we're all still playing in that discord together. Got a lot ready for 1.0 in a few days.

https://discord.gg/gDGCVwfuSB

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I didn't really understand any of it beyond the lighting and general improvements. So... is patch good? Is patch full of destructive turbonerfs? Should I apply Diablo logic and wait ten years? :v:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The big thing if you didn't look at the notes is that the game will be down 24 hours before launch. https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/planned-server-downtime-tuesday-february-20th-at-11-00-ct/62657

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

J posted:

The crafting in this game is great because you can engage with it right away without feeling like you're wasting resources that "should" be saved for endgame crafting projects later.

I think it is literally the best crafting system in an arpg wrt the amount of power behind it relative to the obtuseness of the system as a whole. Overall it's a pretty elegant solution to arpg crafting

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I hate crafting and I think this crafting is pretty great

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

Full controller support sounds very nice. They specifically mention they removed all the annoying auto targeting, and fixed movement abilities too.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

phosdex posted:

The big thing if you didn't look at the notes is that the game will be down 24 hours before launch. https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/planned-server-downtime-tuesday-february-20th-at-11-00-ct/62657

I was going to nab the game before launch and get to grips with the interfaces so I was ready to go on (my) Thursday. Now they've taken the servers down for "patching" in hopes of making the game "playable" and I demand compensation for the lack of servers in my unpurchased game! This is a slap in the face to everyone considering purchasing at this specific two-day block of time!

Got two friends who were pumped to play despite not playing together since the early D3 season days, so I really hope the servers become usable in the first week.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Ready, willing and able to start my poo poo posting and calling EHG various names for not having a 100% smooth as silk launch

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Goons before the game even launches:

No but really I just want to get picked up and carried by my bird is that so much to ask :negative:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The footage they showed of Falconer was compellingly badass. No idea if that turns into Ignore The Bird or Nothing But Bird in the endgame, but it's at least a kind of nifty idea. Not an Inferno Firehawk, or Raging Hellhound or whatever... just a bird living his best, murderous life.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nearly bought the game yesterday, but Wolcen traumatised me too much. :stare:

In a week or two.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Just Another Lurker posted:

In a week or two.

While there's absolutely no reason to not buy it now (the game has been a good buy for at least a couple of years), there's also no harm in waiting a week or two.

If you want to play offline, there's not really even a ton to worry about.

If you want to play online, yeah, waiting a week or two is always a good idea for almost every game these days, heh. I saw yesterday even their forums had some banner message up about high server load for a bit (because of the patch notes).

Semi-related, but lastepochtools.com was down a lot yesterday too. Not sure if that was due to traffic or updates. But this morning the site mostly isn't working at all (at least yesterday it was cloudflare).

Not that LE Tools is ran by EHG, but just that the game hype is reaching critical levels so there's no way online play won't be a bit of a shitshow for a while.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

xZAOx posted:

If you want to play offline, there's not really even a ton to worry about.

It's going to be exclusively offline for me, even with online games i'm SSF/non trade. :D

Hope they have as few hiccups as possible, i think they are Texas based so they should have access to decent servers & lines.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: misread

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

In a week or two.

As someone who still suffers from post traumatic wolcen symptoms I can assure you that this game is in a totally different league.
I'm trying not to think about how disappointing D4 has been
Zero regrets buying this as someone who has dipped in over the years.
Absolutely nothing wrong with waiting a of course

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Semi-related, but lastepochtools.com was down a lot yesterday too. Not sure if that was due to traffic or updates. But this morning the site mostly isn't working at all (at least yesterday it was cloudflare).

LET has been working fine for me the last hour poking around with a Bird Build :shrug:

And yea if we had another Wolcen on our hands, we'd know by now. Game's been in EA for years and is good. But of course spend your dollars however you wish.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

YerDa Zabam posted:

As someone who still suffers from post traumatic wolcen symptoms I can assure you that this game is in a totally different league.
Zero regrets buying this as someone who has dipped in over the years.
Absolutely nothing wrong with waiting a of course

Never did the Diablo thing, POE was my start along with Titan Quest and Grim Dawn.

Wolcen was a waste of £15... i seem to be a sucker for convoluted skill trees and Diablo never had that.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Ended up playing a necromancer up to 35. Doubt I stick with that for launch but I'll probably still go with the acolyte and then do warlock or lich. Probably warlock. Leveling to there was fine and easy overall. I have to agree with the folks that say spells and abilities lack "oomph". It's definitely noticeable coming straight over from finishing the D4 season journey but it doesn't really take away from enjoyment of the game. I'm excited to play this in a few days.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

YerDa Zabam posted:

The sad part is (aside from the matchmaking) D4 had a pretty good technical launch. No one got locked out for a week while exhausted techs tried to convince management that maybe the unused desktop in the closet wasn't good enough server architecture, no endless looping of lost progress, it just kind of worked in a way things didn't used to.

I expect LE to be mashed to hell on day one with all the youtube videos being made drawing in crowds but hopefully they either have plans to scale temporarily or manage to ride out the crush quickly.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Never did the Diablo thing, POE was my start along with Titan Quest and Grim Dawn.

Wolcen was a waste of £15... i seem to be a sucker for convoluted skill trees and Diablo never had that.

I've been reading that wolcen got some huge patches recently and is actually ok? Can anyone confirm that?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

I've been reading that wolcen got some huge patches recently and is actually ok? Can anyone confirm that?

steam cloud support was the last update

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

Last I played (march 2023) Mechanics wise it seemed... fine, and the story wasn't any worse than Diablo 3's, but I kept getting inventory corruption issues which I found references to going back years. Annnd... just checked and I found one thing about that kind of issue which was related to switching characters and I only had one character.

My verdict is "don't buy unless it's on a really steep sale"

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Pohx (POE Twitch streamer) is currently streaming offline as he converts a Paladin into a Righteous Fire Juggernaut, the lad is committed to the RF playstyle no matter the game. :magical:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

i tried it post-major patches and it was still kinda boring. never felt like i could get a good handle on how to build a survivable character and i didn't feel like it was worth spending time doing it. maybe you're just supposed to feel like you've got a glass jaw in it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Field Mousepad posted:

you're probably thinking of grim dawn, which got some huge patches recently and went from good to very good

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pohx (POE Twitch streamer) is currently streaming offline as he converts a Paladin into a Righteous Fire Juggernaut, the lad is committed to the RF playstyle no matter the game. :magical:

lol god bless this dude

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Aw, LastEpochTools seems to be down down now. Sad.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

Aw, LastEpochTools seems to be down down now. Sad.

Maxroll has a planner that has been updated to 1.0

https://maxroll.gg/last-epoch/planner/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Honestly I was just trying to find a list of all the Uniques to scroll through.

I was looking at Talents earlier more just to get a high level idea of what Tags the Falconer might want, wasn't really concerned about like optimizing my build. Respecs are painless enough that if winging it fails me come Monolith time... Not a huge deal to rectify it!

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

There’s a Reddit AMA ongoing: https://reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1avmmnx/ama_we_are_eleventh_hour_games_makers_of_last/

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I'd rather just have a list of skills than a calculator. Like, you can't even look at a skill tree on that site without first allocating enough passive points to "learn" it, which is incredibly annoying.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

We’ve scale tested for months with third parties, consultants, the help of infra providers, and our own backend team. We have the ability to scale servers quickly, have reserved a large amount of bare metal machines, and do not have a maximum spend for cloud overflow- it’s all elastic. From the extensive testing we’ve done, unless we do have a really crazy turnout, we should be stable. It’s not lost on us that many much larger companies than us have had issues at launch though... We’re optimistic and if there are issues it certainly won’t be for lack of effort, spend, or ignorance to the importance of launch day.

If we do have issues I promise that we’ll stay very communicative and you can be 100% certain we’ll be all hands on deck working to resolve anything that comes up. We understand what’s on the line.

I will say that this is probably the most stressing thing to the team as we’ve seen games be review bombed and eviscerated when there are launch issues. I remember being frustrated when games I was excited for had launch issues in the past, but now being on the other side of it I’ve seen how much of an emotional toll it can take on a team to face hatred for something that they have tried hard to prepare for but it not be received/gone well despite best efforts. Just in general I think it’s a good thing for the gaming community to understand the impact those types of things have on development teams. That’s not me asking for leniency for our team, just rather an insight I feel worth sharing for gamers in general.

Another thing I’ll share because it’s interesting and something I didn’t understand before being in game development (before LE) - it’s nearly never the game servers that have issues at launch as those are easy to scale as long as you have the funds and willingness to pay the server providers (typically Google or Amazon), it’s more often an issue with services like login/authentication/database rate limiting. We use Steam and other services that are battle tested at scale for these things.

But, in summary, we’ve prepared heavily and have every reason to suspect we’ll be in good shape come launch day. If there are issues we’ll be communicative and working to address anything that comes up immediately.

Thanks all, sorry for the long post here

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Yeah I saw that. Sounds like if things are entirely busted it won’t be for a lack of trying or preparation. Just kinda up to fate at some point.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm gonna take the under on server stability

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Uh, servers were not great when I tried the beta. I'm hopeful tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Still very much expect the first few days to be a poo poo show.