Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Subsequent booking styles up till today had me wishing midcarders were fighting over shampoo commercials instead of trading parity wins in meaningless matches with no story, I'd rather they have stupid stakes than no stakes at all in never-ending storyless battles where nobody has the upper hand for months at a time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Looking back, I wish it had been.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The worst thing, to 12 year old me, about that King of the Ring was that my man Razor Ramon wasn't there because of a "legitimate" shoulder injury.

Hub Dirt
Apr 26, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

I hope no one's first ppv was the one where Owen fell

it wasn't my first ever ppv, but the first one I watched with a big group of peers. Twelve 16-18 year-olds getting together to watch a ppv in a friend's basement and immediately simmering down when it was obvious something was wrong. We convinced ourselves that it had to be fake because the show kept going. :(

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm convinced that one of the many reasons I'm into goth girls is because of Scary Sherri

Elvira is probably the main reason but Sherri was around at the same time

When was Sherri goth?

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Sherri was sort of Siouxsie Sioux esque at times

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
one of the most hosed up things vince has ever done was force owen's friends to continue wrestling on the show he died on where the ring had a massive blood stain from where owen hit it

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the most hosed up things vince has ever done was force owen's friends to continue wrestling on the show he died on where the ring had a massive blood stain from where owen hit it

it wasn't a blood stain, it was a dent in the ring and they could feel the ring slope whenever they'd walk where he hit the mat

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

he also got Brian Pillman's widow to be on raw the night after he died

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They could at least do something like get the crowd to sing his favourite song. Most Attitude Era wrestlers and fans are probably already in all black.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Hefty Leftist posted:

it wasn't a blood stain, it was a dent in the ring and they could feel the ring slope whenever they'd walk where he hit the mat

Dark Side of the Ring said it was bloody too, I dunno

David Richardson
May 19, 2007

There are some images in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OObDrX8E_k&t=570s

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
it was bloody there is footage of it

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The blood is actually there from the Brood segement on Heat before the PPV, you can see Matt smear his arm along the apron here, and you can see it during the first match too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OObDrX8E_k&t=139s

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

XeeD posted:

When was Sherri goth?

Scary Sherri!

She was with Randy Savage after Elizabeth left him. They were awesome together

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Xisticide posted:

The blood is actually there from the Brood segement on Heat before the PPV, you can see Matt smear his arm along the apron here, and you can see it during the first match too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OObDrX8E_k&t=139s

i see

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
immensly hosed up that owen's widow was made a villain by wwe because she wont allow owen to be inducted into the meaningless hall of fame of the company that murdered him

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
and bret's carniness coming out during the lawsuit

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

While I'm not someone who pays much attention to it, apparently some interesting poo poo is going down with TNA these days. In the past several years, the promotion (as IMPACT) was starting to stand up as a solid company. While nowhere near as popular as WWE or AEW, it was said by many to be an awesome show in its own right and lacked all the embarrassing poo poo from years past. At the very least, it wasn't NWA.

Scott D'amore was the head of the company for all of this and while he may have put too much emphasis on himself on the air, he's been credited as the reason why the promotion has been so good lately. As they changed their name back to TNA, did a big PPV, and brought in guys like Dolph Ziggler and Ali, things were definitely looking up for the company. Hell, they even had Women's Champion Jordynne Grace make a special appearance at the Royal Rumble last month. They apparently came really close to signing CM Punk, though considering his quick injury, it's probably a dodged bullet.

Then Anthem, the parent company, cut him loose. They seemingly didn't think his leadership was paying off financially, so they fired him. He even offered to try and buy TNA in response to this and was shut down. This has pissed off a LOT of the locker room because they really believed in his vision and some claim to have re-signed with TNA previously just because of him. Soon a whole lot of the roster was tweeting emojis of an hourglass, suggesting that they were planning on skipping out ASAP. TNA even took Josh Alexander, a guy who wants to leave, and exercised an option to expand his contract against his wishes.

Short version is that TNA went from all this hype to everyone involved grumbling, "Man, gently caress this poo poo!" over the course of a few days.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I really hope the TNA locker room, or a majority of them, just straight up no show until management fixes their poo poo and brings back D'Amore

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Here have a cool joshi thing. Miu Watanabe rules (and so does Shoko Nakajima)

https://twitter.com/i/status/1760124408788562079

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gavok posted:

While I'm not someone who pays much attention to it, apparently some interesting poo poo is going down with TNA these days. In the past several years, the promotion (as IMPACT) was starting to stand up as a solid company. While nowhere near as popular as WWE or AEW, it was said by many to be an awesome show in its own right and lacked all the embarrassing poo poo from years past. At the very least, it wasn't NWA.

Scott D'amore was the head of the company for all of this and while he may have put too much emphasis on himself on the air, he's been credited as the reason why the promotion has been so good lately. As they changed their name back to TNA, did a big PPV, and brought in guys like Dolph Ziggler and Ali, things were definitely looking up for the company. Hell, they even had Women's Champion Jordynne Grace make a special appearance at the Royal Rumble last month. They apparently came really close to signing CM Punk, though considering his quick injury, it's probably a dodged bullet.

Then Anthem, the parent company, cut him loose. They seemingly didn't think his leadership was paying off financially, so they fired him. He even offered to try and buy TNA in response to this and was shut down. This has pissed off a LOT of the locker room because they really believed in his vision and some claim to have re-signed with TNA previously just because of him. Soon a whole lot of the roster was tweeting emojis of an hourglass, suggesting that they were planning on skipping out ASAP. TNA even took Josh Alexander, a guy who wants to leave, and exercised an option to expand his contract against his wishes.

Short version is that TNA went from all this hype to everyone involved grumbling, "Man, gently caress this poo poo!" over the course of a few days.

*sigh* That's sooooo TNA (from early 2010's)!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Gavok posted:

lol TNA is cursed

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
can i get a nostalgic LOLTNA

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
if punk had signed with TNA instead of WWE this would have been perfection...

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Trying to imagine a cm punk signed by Billy corgan to NWA, it's the most hipster incarnation of punk possible

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

this time next year he'll be in AAA

Slavik
May 10, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

can i get a nostalgic LOLTNA

Why not relive the nostalgic memories

https://lolrasslin.fandom.com/wiki/LOLTNA_History

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BnyJN1txvk

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Here's a thing I wrote about 15 Things WCW Did Better Than WWE.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

How convenient for someone to collect every bad wrestling idea together in the same place, now promoters will know what not to do in their promotions. Now to take a big sip of water and check out Total Nonstop Action in the Impact Zone, this sounds great!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

I really enjoyed that, especially since I started watching wrestling in late 1998 with WCW. I'll always have a soft spot for that era, which had some truly great stuff before it all went to hell.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Kanyon and DDP crashing and burning in the WWE was so heart breaking for me. I didn't like much about WCW at the end of the Monday Wars, but I liked those two(despite the stories they were put in), the cruiser weights, Booker T.

I was at Summerslam 2001 and watched that whole stupid stalking storyline, and cage match. Kanyon deserved better as a character, and better treatment from the WWE as a person.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Astonishingly, I can find no evidence that Mike Staples here is dead. Considering what happened with Rodney "Yokozuna" A'anoi, that's incredible good fortune. In a sense, anyway.

PicklePants posted:

Kanyon and DDP crashing and burning in the WWE was so heart breaking for me.

Crashing and burning implies they were given a chance and blew it. They were set up to fail.

Perhaps it was best in DDP's case. If he'd been given a fair shake and managed to get over in WWE and become a big star there as well, he might not have gotten into his yoga field later. Kanyon though...it says a lot about the business that you look at how it wronged him and can only say 'throw it on the pile' and the pile is larger than the drat Himalayas and just keeps growing.

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 22, 2024

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

With Vince hopefully finally gone they can revive WCWs true legacy: The Yapapi Strap Match.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

One thing I missed about wcw is they would often have some single episode self contained storylines that didn't lead to ppv,, it was just a fun story for the night.

Like one, Ric Flair was told he had to do a title defense and it had to be picked randomly. He went and grabbed the cruiserweight roster and put them all in the bag to draw thinking he would get a little guy easy to beat. Then they drew Rey Mysterio Jr and he was freaking out the whole episode trying to get out of it, then in the main event he pulled out every cheap trick and dirty cheat he could think of to barely escape. This didn't further and storylines but it was fun

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

With Vince hopefully finally gone they can revive WCWs true legacy: The Yapapi Strap Match.

This remains one of my favorite stupid YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3OY2GQ-d_E

To this day, me and my wife say "Yapapi!" instead of "apple pie."

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Them bringing Kanyon back after leaving him at home for a long time for one homophobic joke sucked, Kanyon was done dirty

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

This is great, strong agree on #1. La Parka is entertainment, which supposedly Vince McMahon is about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

always lol when I see wrestlers with cupping bruises