Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I sure thought it was a choice that this "Female Forward" story with two nuanced, flawed female lead characters had to rely on their male coworker to do a ton of the legwork off screen for them.

Feel free to dig into my post history, I have no idea what kind of trash I was posting 8 years ago, but I bet it was absolutely dire. Like, even worse than now if you can believe it. We could all use a cringey laugh.

right arm posted:

Lmfao remembering the scene of fat old women slowly assembling

incredible finale

It was pretty funny how they just come out from whatever bedroom in the back they're all waiting in, one by one, to stand there and look intimidating to the two armed cops. Were they all standing in the hallway waiting their turn, like mooks in a video game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

What is really blowing my mind is the ridiculous amounts of critics praising this season.

The acting was pretty good, I’ll give it that, but reading some of the critical praise for the show as a whole I feel like I’m in bizarro world.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
New angle

quote:

I'm Inuk and suicide in Inuit communities is the highest in the world so romanticising it like this feels thoughtless at best. The suicide rate amongst Canadian Inuit is up to 25x their non-Inuit counterparts. Greenlandic Inuit also have a suicide rate similarly above neighbouring countries. It's a massive problem and glorifying it doesn't do anything to help.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

covidstomper58 posted:

Reflecting on this masterpiece which will in time be regarded as well as the Sopranos or a Wire, I'm wondering how they filled up that pool for the water birthing scene.

I recall it looking murky af, and didn't notice a huge pile of empty water bottles when she was walking in, I'd bet it was a garden hose from a tap.
That was a flashback.

I know you're being sarcastic but at least be accurately sarcastic!

counterfeitsaint posted:

It was pretty funny how they just come out from whatever bedroom in the back they're all waiting in, one by one, to stand there and look intimidating to the two armed cops. Were they all standing in the hallway waiting their turn, like mooks in a video game?
I've seen a lot of people talk about the women loading up the lady's house at the end but a lot of it is really, strangely inaccurate. These women were neighbors, they were in their homes when the cops rolled up, and they all saw them roll up through their windows. I believe they were all checking in to make sure their friend wasn't being harassed by the cops... but they did it in a very slow, one-by-one kind of way that seemed really strange. It was meant to show unity among the women... but it was presented in a cult-like way that made it seem like they planned it ahead of time. Just another reason this show was bad, really.

BTW the mine being shut down completely eradicated Ennis's economy. 2 years later, everyone who wasn't living off the land had moved away. Except the old lady. She's still chilling with Rust's dad's ghost.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 20, 2024

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

When people talk about "this feels like it was written by AI", the scientist explanation for the pollution cover-up is exactly what I think of. The broad strokes of "the scientists cover up pollution so they can do their research" makes sense. But from both an in-universe perspective and a meta script-writing perspective, the way the show actually lays it out is just insane. "The scientists encouraged the mine to do More Pollution because Pollution melted the permafrost so that they could harvest a Molecule that would Improve Life" is just such an.... Uncanny valley of text.

Those phrases come close to making sense, but when you focus on what they're saying it's just insane nonsense. "Pollution" makes it possible to harvest the Molecule? Why? The laziness to not even stop at something vaguely reasonable like "the mining work broke up the ground for us", and instead have the scientist say that they wanted Extra Pollution for its Thawing Effect is breaking my mind. It's what a nonhuman thinks humans say, an outline of an idea that never filled its placeholder words.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 20, 2024

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Tender Bender posted:

When people talk about "this feels like it was written by AI", the scientist explanation for the pollution cover-up is exactly what I think of. The broad strokes of "the scientists cover up pollution so they can do their research" makes sense. But from both an in-universe perspective and a meta script-writing perspective, the way the show actually lays it out is just insane. "The scientists encouraged the mine to do More Pollution because Pollution melted the permafrost so that they could harvest a Molecule that would Improve Life" is just such an.... Uncanny valley of text.

Those phrases come close to making sense, but when you focus on what they're saying it's just insane nonsense. "Pollution" makes it possible to harvest the Molecule? Why? The laziness to not even stop at something vaguely reasonable like "the mining work broke up the ground for us", and instead have the scientist say that they wanted Extra Pollution for its Thawing Effect is breaking my mind. It's what a nonhuman thinks humans say.
Yeah but nobody guessed it so it worked. Remember, the job of a writer nowadays is to come up with a twist that Reddit can't guess.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

They covered this, it makes the permafrost, which is not like a layer of permanently frozen winter shards of ice in the mushy peat bog ground hard, but literally a solid block of ice filled with skeletons that they take ice core samples out of softer, so they can drill faster.

The ice is softer so they can drill faster and deeper and get more of the dawn of life bacteria out of the bore holes quicker.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This series is like somebody's memory of peak tv, and the memory's fading. It's like there was never anything here but Westworld.

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I take it back I don't want True Detective: Night Country season 2 anymore, I want a prequel. True Detective: Day Country where they show the mine showing up in town.

Billie Lee Tuttle:
Ladies and gentlemen, ladies and gentlemen, thank you so much for visiting with us this evening. Now I've traveled across half our continent to be here and to see about this land. Now I daresay some of you might have heard some of the more extravagant rumors about what my plans are, so I just thought you'd like to hear it from me. This is the face -- it's no great mystery.

I'm a drill man, ladies and gentlemen. I have numerous concerns spread across this continent. I have many boreholes flowing at many thousand ice core samples per day. I like to think of myself as a drill man. And as an drill man I hope that you'll forgive just good old-fashioned plain speaking. Now this work that we do is very much a family enterprise. I -- I work side by side with my wonderful son Errol Childress I think one or two of you might have met him already. I encourage my men to bring their families as well. Of course it makes for an ever so much more rewarding life for them. Family means children; children means education. So wherever we set up camp, education is a necessity, and we're just so happy to take care of that. So let's build a wonderful school in Ennis. These children are the future that we strive for and so they should have the very best of things.

Now something else, and please don't be insulted if I speak about this: Mac N Cheese. Let's talk about Mac N Cheese. Now to my mind, it's an abomination to consider that any man, woman, or child in this magnificent country of ours should have to look upon a pot of Kraft Mac N Cheese as a luxury. We're going to dig mines here. Mines mean irrigation; irrigation means cultivation. We're going to open convenience stores here where before it just simply was impossible. You're going to have more Mac N Cheese than you know what to do with. Mac N Cheese will be coming right out of your ears, ma'am.

New roads, agriculture, employment, education, advanced medical facilities and outpatient mental health centers these are just a few of the things we can offer you, and I assure you ladies and gentlemen, that if we do find ancient bacterial life here, and I think there's a very good chance that we will, this community of yours will not only survive, it will flourish.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Danvers: Ask the question.
Mr. Freeze: What killed the dinosaurs?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Wachter posted:

OK so if I have it all correct, the ghost that causes bleeding ears and terrifying visions and rolls oranges and hubcaps at you is the bad ghost. It ate the dreams of the scientists who killed her. Later it possesses the sole survivor of those scientists in order to cruelly taunt the one cop who actually cares about catching her killers.

The ghost that also makes your ears bleed but just wants to tell you your secret native name is the good ghost. Unfortunately both the good and the bad ghosts both have the exact same MO of tempting you out onto the ice by whispering your name in a creepy voice.

The ghost that appears as a polar bear is probably the bad ghost but it doesn't really do anything so we can't be sure. Maybe the ghosts are all getting their wires crossed by the flat circle or the spiral dinosaur or the literal panacea that's easier to study after being bathed in toxic waste

E: Oh I forgot, there's also the ghost of Rust's dad who does the Matrix bullet time dodge to tell his girlfriend where the victims of the bad ghost are. So I guess he's another good ghost but also kind of a narc

I think the neat thing about the season is that it manages a carefully-crafted balance of ambiguity, so there's also a perfectly rational explanation for all of this - maybe the supernatural is involved, or maybe it's just a regular town filled with constant meaningful hallucinations, nomadic oranges exploring the tundra, and that one spooky wind everyone hears that sounds exactly like "She's awake". It's really up to the viewer to interpret what they've seen.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I did enjoy the Scooby Doo moments.

Let's follow these watery footprints that also go through a wall...

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I did enjoy the Scooby Doo moments.

Let's follow these watery footprints that also go through a wall...

That started out as a pretty cool shot, we see the bare floor, pan up, pan back down and now there are footprints.

Too bad it didn't amount of anything, just like everything else.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I like to think if Marty visited to help with this case, he would pronounce the town as "anus".

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Well, that finale was ... unfortunate.

It feels like they cut out 1-2 episodes worth of material. So much poo poo got absolutely no resolve or even mention. They had these hints that the ancient microorganism got out (the tongue showing no decay and Jodie Foster seeing some weird slime where it was found and that one scientist survived being frozen/thawed) and it got absolutely no follow up. What was even up with that tongue? Did Jean Penn cut it out? Who put it under the table then and why? Are these leftover setups for Night Country S2 that they couldn't manage to remove from the script without huge rewrites in time?

Also, why did Navarro kill herself? I must have missed a scene or something.

Overall, I gotta say rebranding this as True Detective was a very bad decision. Yes, you got a viewer bump out of it, but the True Detective brand is basically dead. It's just some random rear end dime a dozen anthology show now and that's not what HBO lives off AFAIK

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Navarro was such a waste of a character. An indigenous cop caught between two worlds and struggling to reconcile them is a great idea with lots of potential to show how her unique perspective leads to clues Danvers and Prior totally miss and to serve as a bridge to the rightly-pissed local community.

Instead we get half her screen time taken up caring for her whacked out sister and the other half of her being essentially a thug. The one time they do something potentially interesting with the concept, her being on the SWAT team, is immediately dropped and forgotten about (they get some more of her doing violence in there though can't forget more of that).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

It's really amazing that they wrote her having a loveless relationship, eventually letting some of her guard down to her boyfriend, their connection growing stronger... and then she kills herself.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

Also, why did Navarro kill herself? I must have missed a scene or something.

I don't think it's clear she did definitely kill herself, so much as surrender herself to the Tundra on a spiritual journey -- or possibly descended into the same schizophrenic fugue state that took the other women in her family.

That said, it i think she could have survived, and I read the ending is ambiguous. Yeah, I reckon she survived.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

GABA ghoul posted:

What was even up with that tongue? Did Jean Penn cut it out? Who put it under the table then and why? Are these leftover setups for Night Country S2 that they couldn't manage to remove from the script without huge rewrites in time?

From creator interviews:
- Hank cut the tongue out to send a warning to Annie's fellow activists
- Depending on your interpretation, the tongue was then either stolen and stored away by a local member of the community who then participated in the killing, or it was left there by Annie's vengeful spirit to signify that justice had been done.

Why would either party want to leave the tongue under a sandwich table at the research lab instead of out with the bodies? Well, you see, they, uh

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

I did like the idea of setting the show in frozen waste company town since it's basically the same as a small backwoods community with powers that be and corrupt cops, except arguably much more miserable.

Too bad this season kinda went wishy washy on it and whiffed the landing.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I wish this show didn't retreat into ambiguity for literally everything, it's so lazy and a big reason why it falls so flat. Complete lack of confidence from the writer and director to make any decisions about what is happening. Even the final murder mystery solution is left ambiguous. Why were they so afraid of concrete plot beats in a detective show?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

It is apparent that most of you do not understand good TV.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Colostomy Bag posted:

I dont see what that has to do with True Detective Season 4: Night Country

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

I wish this show didn't retreat into ambiguity for literally everything, it's so lazy and a big reason why it falls so flat. Complete lack of confidence from the writer and director to make any decisions about what is happening. Even the final murder mystery solution is left ambiguous. Why were they so afraid of concrete plot beats in a detective show?

bad writer

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

We are all in bad TV country now

Grave Centipede
Apr 19, 2007
"But how can I put my lion's head in the lion's mouth? That act is ruined!"
Just finshed the series and reading this thread, did we ever find out why the core sample room entrance needs to be hidden in what looks like a kitchen? Why is it not signed posted 'core sample drilling area' ?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Grave Centipede posted:

Just finshed the series and reading this thread, did we ever find out why the core sample room entrance needs to be hidden in what looks like a kitchen? Why is it not signed posted 'core sample drilling area' ?

Every science facility needs a secret murder room

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

grobbo posted:

From creator interviews:
- Hank cut the tongue out to send a warning to Annie's fellow activists
- Depending on your interpretation, the tongue was then either stolen and stored away by a local member of the community who then participated in the killing, or it was left there by Annie's vengeful spirit to signify that justice had been done.

Why would either party want to leave the tongue under a sandwich table at the research lab instead of out with the bodies? Well, you see, they, uh

I don’t know why lol but this is the thing that gets me the most about the finale. They went out of their way to highlight the tongue several times (asking both Clarke and the Hit Squad who had placed it at Tsalal, showing the strange substance where it had previously been on the floor in the kitchen), but then never actually follow it up. I figured, Oh, I must have just missed something, but I guess not.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I think the tongue, the weird frost stuff on the ground, and the burned eyeballs was all supposed to hint that the ice ghost was real and the women weren't just bullshitting when they said "ice ghost killed them" and that Navarro and Clarke weren't just crazy and hallucinating.

Except the writing is bad and stupid so this never actually comes across clearly.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Like I think the sequence is supposed to be:

Otis discovered the caves and explored them which angers the ice ghost (because it's her lair) so she burns his eyeballs and fucks him up which causes him to become a junkie.

Later the scientists discover the caves and start drilling in them and calling the mine up to say "more pollution please, yum yum. Don't worry about those pesky natives they don't matter". This also angers ice ghost.

Annie finds out about their misdeeds and the scientists kill her in revenge. This makes the ice ghost even more angry and it starts torturing Clarke by making him have seizures and horrifying visions.

The native cleaning women find the secret lab and realize the scientists killed Annie and decide to take revenge by rounding up the scientists and sending them out into the ice to face the judgement of ice ghost. Ice ghost burns their eyeballs and kills them and Dr. Caribou is like "wow they didn't freeze to death"

Ice ghost throws the tongue in the base as a warning and then later starts bothering Navarro for some reason. Later in the final storm ice ghost freezes Clarke too finally getting revenge on the last scientist.

Danvers gets a mug that says Hawaii.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

True Detective: Pacific Island up next duh

e: we ain’t letting the Cthulhu allegations from s1 go away

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

if they really leaned into Danvers and Navarro being terrible people it might have been good but as the saying goes they wanted to have their cake and eat it too

Navarro especially with those cheek piercings and demeanor would make a great antihero for a talented showrunner

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jeep posted:

I don’t know why lol but this is the thing that gets me the most about the finale. They went out of their way to highlight the tongue several times (asking both Clarke and the Hit Squad who had placed it at Tsalal, showing the strange substance where it had previously been on the floor in the kitchen), but then never actually follow it up. I figured, Oh, I must have just missed something, but I guess not.

They have a 6 seasons arc planned so they can't just give away all the answers in the first season. You gonna have to wait for True Detective 5: Night Country 2 for the tongue reveal

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Did they explain how Annie K was able to find the secret underground crime lab that the detectives completely missed?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Grave Centipede posted:

Yea I didn't really think about this but you're right, we assume the ice cave stuff is the terrible secret but it turns out the ice cave is their research and the secret is that they're falsifying pollution numbers (which is the thing that Annie K is upset about?) Why did the mine need to keep the cops out of the cave anyway, they should have just removed the murder weapon, "we can't let anyone in here, because the murder weapon is just sitting around waiting for someone to find it." is another backwards AI-logic piece of writing.

It feels like there's a draft of the script where the caves themselves are the secret taboo, like they're historically relevant to the tribe or something, but that got elided completely. Also really surprised that the ancient molecule wasn't connected to the bizarre behavior and hallucinations or even the deaths. Like that's still implied but it's not in a subtle interesting way, just a strange incomplete way.

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 20, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

my bony fealty posted:

Did they explain how Annie K was able to find the secret underground crime lab that the detectives completely missed?

No, but they implied she was actively spying on the scientists so that makes some sense.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

mrmcd posted:

Ice ghost... starts bothering Navarro for some reason

For all its creators' claims of ambiguity, ghosts pretty much HAVE to be responsible for some of the plot developments (revealing the corpsicle to Rose, leaving the tongue, Navarro's native name). But the motives of the vengeance ghost don't make any sense! Navarro was the only person outside the janitor mafia who was doing anything to catch Annie's killer. If it was torturing her for not solving the case and catching Clarke faster, why go after her sister? She was completely blameless!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Wachter posted:

For all its creators' claims of ambiguity, ghosts pretty much HAVE to be responsible for some of the plot developments (revealing the corpsicle to Rose, leaving the tongue, Navarro's native name). But the motives of the vengeance ghost don't make any sense! Navarro was the only person outside the janitor mafia who was doing anything to catch Annie's killer. If it was torturing her for not solving the case and catching Clarke faster, why go after her sister? She was completely blameless!

It also doesn't make any sense why the ice ghost couldn't just kill Clarke. He's hiding out in the same ice caves that's her home and where she ganked Otis why does it need to wait for the detectives to catch him while it mulls around the station doing spooky ghost stuff?

Also why does the ice ghost like Twist and Shout so much?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Wachter posted:

The theme of like communal psychic agony of a people being slowly poisoned into extinction is a solid one but the show doesn't really know what to do with it and conflates it with a vengeance ghost for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Lmao at the distinctive murder weapon sitting there for 6 years

OK yeah they probably have more than one star shaped tool but the way it's portrayed is very much supposed to be "this is the murder weapon"