Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think this specific action would likely be a slow play/stalling violation, rather than a "misrepresenting the game state" violation, depending on the context

Arena explicitly encourages players to bluff by turning on full control so you don't automatically pass priority (and to feign defenselessness by passing priority quickly so your opponent doesn't suspect you have instant interaction).

rickiep00h posted:

Someone is going to win every game of Magic.

Gotta use Rule 0 to get her in, but it should still count!
https://scryfall.com/card/ptg/2/princess-twilight-sparkle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon

Silhouette posted:

Enough about dickhead moves in casual games, watch the funniest goddamn edh video ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1Go3yByhL8

the part where prof explains mind goblin to Ced, and Jim and Patrick are asphyxiated with laughter is the greatest thing I've watched all week

As someone who never watched a Professor video is he always this awkward and cringe?

I couldn't play with someone with that energy for more than 2 or 3 turns. Also, agree with one of the comments on the video. Why is there light, awful music being played during the game. It's kind of distracting and takes away from just listening to 4 dudes jam a game and talk.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

As someone who never watched a Professor video is he always this awkward and cringe?

I haven’t watched that one yet, but yes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Free yourself from considering things cringe

Why is there light, awful music being played during the game. It's kind of distracting and takes away from just listening to 4 dudes jam a game and talk.

Because otherwise there's lots of dead air, it's something essentially every gameplay show does (Spike Feeders is the only high profile one I can think of that doesn't but that's much more tightly edited with less table talk)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

I couldn't play with someone with that energy for more than 2 or 3 turns. Also, agree with one of the comments on the video. Why is there light, awful music being played during the game. It's kind of distracting and takes away from just listening to 4 dudes jam a game and talk.

My general read on the Professor is that, yeah he's got some general 'Dad Joke' energy that leads to him being a bit cringeworthy in that harmless way, he's also got a generally decent sense of ways to channel that in a table dynamic, and in this video he has absolutely identified that the best way to play that is to be a big silly dork around three people who are rock-solid straight men being introduced to the dumbest side of Magic. He's not always like that; off the top of my head I remember that in the Doctor Who episode he had a more appropriately kind of 'subtle trickster' angle to go with his Seventh Doctor deck. (But also that episode had TeferiMagic going full ham, so he was hardly the biggest personality at that table.)

As to the music... as someone who also makes Youtube videos, you'd be surprised how much some light music improves the energy of a video that's otherwise just talking. Not just in setting the tone, but also in keeping it feeling a lot more lively and energetic in general. My videos feel downright anaemic before the music gets added in editing. It also helps paper over minor audio issues.

Also: I like that this video shows me that the Professor also thinks the funniest thing to do with Universes Beyond cards is to put exactly one in an otherwise normal deck.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 20, 2024

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
He is a good showman and know exactly how to act to let his guests shine.

Which is good because, like every other person I know with degrees in creative writing, he can't write for poo poo.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
He is very good at articulating when wotc has severely hosed up and his optimism for how things COULD go, though

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
i haven't made it more than ten seconds of listening to his voice so i cannot say whether he is good or bad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
He was much drier in his disembodied voice days.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

I find the energy of "dad jokes but about premature ejaculation" kind of weird too yeah. It's not a big deal.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

generatrix posted:

I haven’t watched that one yet, but yes.

:emptyquote:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yes.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Free yourself from considering things cringe

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Prof good

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Its okay to try something out you haven't tried before and decide its not for you.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

He absolutely hams up the Shuffle up and Play episodes and they vary pretty wildly based on group makeup. When everyone there is trying to hard to be bombastic and quippy it can sometimes be difficult to stomach for sure. As a content creator though unless something changes he's basically unimpeachable in my mind as a progressive, consumer first player who genuinely just loves the game and wants to provide something useful with his material. It more than makes up for any awkwardness in a given episode.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can agree with his opinions while also thinking he's pretty unwatchable and often leans into being extremely over the top because most creators feel they have to flanderize themselves in search of keeping and growing an audience

I appreciate the charity work he does

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:hmmyes: Been hearing this.

I really need to get that Wu-Brg hoodie, cause that poo poo is for the children.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I don't watch much MTG content but I like how Prof seems to know he's cringe and just leans into it. It's not awkward, it's just his way, and that's cool.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Youtube does not reward the content most of you are stating you want. Its just the way things are.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
he sounds like he's doing a nightmare parody of a youtube voice. i'm not going to click on it again! but yeah also it's cool if people dig it

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm a sucker for Cedric and Patrick, I'll watch basically anything with the both of them.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

my advice is to kill the part of you that cringes

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

A Moose posted:

my advice is to kill the part of you that cringes

'cringe' as a concept is mostly just used to donk on neurodivergent people for being 'weird' and is ableist as gently caress, so yeah do this

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Cactrot posted:

I'm a sucker for Cedric and Patrick, I'll watch basically anything with the both of them.

Devotion count for blue?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So far in this Falllout set, Preston crates a new settlement every turn and Liberty Prime's colors are red, white and blue.

It's already perfect.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Nuclear Fallout is going to be pricey and annoying.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

After Wil Wheaton turned into a superbeing in the 24th century, he traveled back in time and changed his appearance and became The Professor. He's living his best life, again.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

yeah again I just feel like stuff like the premature ejaculation joke clashes with the overall presented vibe. The bit at the end with just Cedric and Patrick straight facing each other was by far the best part for me. Resleevables tournament edition vibes.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
lol they made a card for loving ian

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

They need a fallout 1 dogmeat that must attack every turn, must be blocked by creatures with defender and creatures with defender that block him gain deathtouch until end of turn

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Colorless counterspell for target spells + unblockable at instant speed seems... good?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Colorless counterspell for target spells + unblockable at instant speed seems... good?

Ian's card burst firing into your back to hit someone else is very on theme, as much as I dislike UB stuff, sometimes the flavor is on point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Neon Dynasty is still in standard but I really needed that reminder text to know what modified is lol

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Ravages of War is getting reprinted. Only findable in Collector Boosters.

https://twitter.com/themtginsider/status/1760010773177458693?t=BWEkJO9fAa8aMnzVLzZ3Sw&s=19

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah this video is just A++ incredible.
"Cedric, if you had a counterspell in your hand and you didn't counter this I'll never forgive you."

Maaaan. Patrick lookin' rough.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Waffleopolis posted:

https://twitter.com/themtginsider/status/1760010773177458693?t=BWEkJO9fAa8aMnzVLzZ3Sw&s=19

Oh fuuuuuck yeah I need this for my mono white deck so hard

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Waffleopolis posted:

Giddy-Up Buttercup! :buddy:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Some more Thunder Junction item descriptions leaked. Showcase treatment for spells is 'Breaking News' style where it's presented as a front page headline with the spell description being the article.

Vvv That big thing your dad would hide behind in the morning to avoid talking to anyone.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Some more Thunder Junction item descriptions leaked. Showcase treatment for spells is 'Breaking News' style where it's presented as a front page headline with the spell description being the article.

What's a newspaper?