Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Jivesauce posted:

Dominic Rhodes?

Possibly the best RB the UFL had in 2010, he played for the Florida Tuskers.

Rhodes managed 9 TDs and got 551 yards on 127 carries, good for 4.3 ypc. Doesn't sound all that impressive but the UFL only had 8 games/ season, and the league's offensive lines were absolutely awful, to the point that there was a rule that teams could only rush 5 defenders at most.

I'd make the argument for Lorenzo Booker though. Booker was in a platoon RB situation on the Hartford Colonials. Both he and his running mate, Andre Dixon, got 76 carries on the season. Dixon was listed as the starter primarily because he'd attended UConn and the front office wanted some hometown talent to get local fans interested, but he was just a guy who plodded up the middle for short gains. Not a power back, he just clearly wasn't an NFL-level talent and wasn't even drafted by an NFL team. Booker, on the other hand, put up 5.4 ypc on the same number of carries. He got 80% of Rhodes' yards on 60% of the touches.

He was a 3rd-rd draft pick by the Dolphins but traded to the Eagles. Got cut by them and sat out 2009 for no reason I can locate. He spent part of 2010 on the Colonials and then some of 2010-2011 on the Vikings, mostly as a KR, and then a short stint with the Bears before hitting IR and just never playing again. Nobody wanted to keep him for long but he genuinely looked the part of an NFL RB. I have to wonder if he was just seen as a pain in the rear end to work with. He did boycott games to protest the UFL's ridiculous transfer fee ("Hey NFL, if you want to poach our players you pay us $250,000, isn't that smart!?"), which, fair, but also suggests he was outspoken about any bullshit he encountered.

Oh, I guess the Las Vegas Loco's RB that year, DeDe Dorsey, also put up 4.7 ypc. That was on about 90-ish carries. Dorsey spent some time as a bottom-of-the-depth-chart guy on the Bengals in 2007-08. Despite being one of the few competent RBs in the UFL, I don't think he ever made it back to the NFL.

The award for top RB that year went to Sacremento Mountain Lions running back Cory Ross. Ross was able to assemble a 435-yard season on the back of 121 carries. So, 3.6 ypc. He did have the league's longest rush with 75 yards, which if taken away gives him a season with 360 yards on 120 rushes, or exactly 3 ypc. Love that easy math. Ross had been drafted by the Ravens but only spent a year on the squad. Last I heard (ages ago now) he was looking to get into coaching.

The end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Anthony 'A Train' Thomas, who was hyped up after one good year on the Bears before we truly understood how the Bears worked

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Jivesauce posted:

Dominic Rhodes?

He was always good as Edge's backup and then paired with rookie Addai.

His third stint with the Colts was best remembered for being the guy Peyton faked the ball to on his bootleg against the Raiders:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAAPCnn0L2c&t=7723s

2:08:40~ if the timestamp doesn't work for the comedy of Peyton at the line pointing frantically to one side and the Raiders all falling for it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Prince Amukamara

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I looked up Rashard Mendenhall and apparently he wrote 30 episodes of Ballers

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Atari Bigby

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Adewale Ogunleye

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Lance Briggs, who I always felt was a lot better than he got credit for because he was next to Urlacher for a while

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Clint Stoerner

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

David Beuhler

Technically a kicker, but at 6'2, 225, was more like a linebacker that could kick the ball far but sucked at directional kicking so he couldn't make field goals reliably. Did 25 reps on the bench at the 2009 combine and ran something like a 4.5-4.6 40. The Cowboys decided to keep him for kickoffs but also roster Dan Bailey because having two kickers is apparently a good idea. He loved him some kickoff coverage though and would gleefully rush at returners.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I'm trying to think of that dolphins running back that pretty much threw it away because he liked weed too much? He was really good.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Fat Jesus posted:

I'm trying to think of that dolphins running back that pretty much threw it away because he liked weed too much? He was really good.

Ricky Williams

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Amobi Okoye

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Akin Ayodele

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

C U R T I S

E N I S

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Jairus Byrd. He was a safety for the Bills, and he was pretty great. Dude had an incredible knack for arriving just in time to break up a pass or even snag the pick. Just a great zone cover guy, but of course the Bills didn’t resign him and he signed a lucrative(for a safety) free agent contract with the Saints.

He tore his meniscus after four games and was never the same.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Joe Horn, who was a top-tier receiver for like five years but no one knew it because he played on the Aaron Brooks/Jim Haslett Saints. Also made boomers incredibly angry with the Cellybration.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Jerricho Cotchery

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Black Lighter posted:

Joe Horn, who was a top-tier receiver for like five years but no one knew it because he played on the Aaron Brooks/Jim Haslett Saints. Also made boomers incredibly angry with the Cellybration.

Oh I remember Joe Horn, I feel like he always loving tore up the Rams. The Saints were one of only two teams to beat the 2001 Rams in the regular season, and they did it in our house after being down like 24-6 at halftime. Horn had 8 for 121 yards and 2 TDs.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I would also like to remember Glenn Dorsey, who was a high pick and then surprisingly sucked as a 3-technique but nevertheless made a career out of being a pretty good 2-gap player because he had a low center of gravity and extremely long arms.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

You know Marcus and Desmond, but do you recall, the least famous Trufant of all?

Isaiah Trufant was the shortest of the three Trufant brothers. At only 5'7, it's kinda understandable how he didn't get drafted out of college. He worked his way up through various football leagues, including the Arena League 2 in 2006, then the Indoor Football League, and finally the United Football League from 2009-2010 and earning two UFL Championship rings with the Las Vegas Locos. Trufant was easily one of the best CBs in that league despite his size and won DPOY in 2010. This did net him a few years in the NFL with the Jets and Browns. He had a knee injury in late 2013 and despite making the Browns 2014 roster, didn't finish out the season and never stuck with a team after that. Sad but I guess a 5'7, 32-year old corner coming off a knee injury isn't at the top of anyone's list.

One of those guys where you could totally see the talent but could also get why he wasn't anyone's first choice at the NFL level.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Criminal Minded posted:

Oh I remember Joe Horn, I feel like he always loving tore up the Rams. The Saints were one of only two teams to beat the 2001 Rams in the regular season, and they did it in our house after being down like 24-6 at halftime. Horn had 8 for 121 yards and 2 TDs.

Between that and the playoff game with Az Hakim (a Remember a Football Guy if there ever was one) muffing the kick, that was a really good incipient rivalry snuffed out by realignment

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Asad Abdul-Khaliq

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Black Lighter posted:

Between that and the playoff game with Az Hakim (a Remember a Football Guy if there ever was one) muffing the kick, that was a really good incipient rivalry snuffed out by realignment

Yeah, I absolutely HATED those Saints and ended up missing them.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Terdell Middleton

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Angelo Crowell. He was a pretty good linebacker who once feasted on Dolphins-era Daunte Culpepper.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Bankok posted:

Terdell Middleton

Terdell? Didn't the chiefs waste a draft pick on some guy called Terdell Sands? How many Terdells are there?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Fat Jesus posted:

Terdell? Didn't the chiefs waste a draft pick on some guy called Terdell Sands? How many Terdells are there?

Per PFR, two :v:

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Terd

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

keith traylor

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

R.D. Mangles posted:

keith traylor

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jiu52DN8vYA

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Vince Workman

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wendell davis

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ricky Proehl

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Josh Heupel

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Channing Crowder.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Wayne Chrebet should be the mascot of this thread

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Willis McGahee

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Why, after all these years, did I still instantly recognize Rusty Smith?