Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

In this thread, we remember Football Guys from yesteryear. I'm not talking about your Barry Sanderses, your Joe Montanas, your . I'm not thinking of the famous or the talented.

I mean guys like... Laurance Maroney.

I don't even know why I think of him sometimes. I guess it has something to do with getting back into football in 2007 when the Pats were King Shits and I was living in Massachusetts, so I guess it was just being surrounded by all things Pats. But even then, even when I can't say I really knew a whole lot about the game, I recognized thaHe shook around the field like a piece on one of those electronic football boards.

I sometimes think of John Fourcade just because he was in Tecmo Super Bowl. Who is John Fourcade? He played for the Saints in the late 80s and early 90s I guess. I have a blank Saints Jersey from back when Reebok were ditching all of their poo poo cheap since they lost the NFL license. I occasionally think of trying to get some iron on letters for it and if I ever do, they'll spell out FOURCADE because it's a weird name. I paid $5 for that jersey. it would probably cost more to get whatever the hell materials I would need to actually apply a name and number to it.

So who do you think of in the dead of night? What random NFL has-been or never-was or flash in the pan haunts your dreams? Did you just think of Lito Sheppard right now? or Danario Alexander? Tavon Austin or Jeff Feagles? Post a long screed about them. Post just their name. Post their stats. Post Random Football Guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Antonio Freeman

https://youtu.be/0ie467tdFG0?si=Kuw72-xHNqZzh6me

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I randomly stumbled onto Kenny Stills twitter earlier as he's currently pushing a call for ceasefire from a few dozen athletes right now, and was reminded of how he was one of the few guys to really side with Kaepernick and kneeling and all that.

Never a star, but put up a pretty respectable 9 year career, almost 5k yards receiving, a healthy 38 touchdowns and even played in a couple of playoff games (he had the first touchdown in that 24-0, whoops now we're losing at halftime Chiefs-Texans playoff game.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdhkaGq7Z-U

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Texans have had two starting QBs that I only remember because they share their name with musicians whose heyday was in the ‘80s: Tony Banks and Stephen Morris.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Remembering Brett Basanez

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Please never forget Derek Lokey

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Dhani Jones wore glasses and he was smart

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Moetmeal Williams

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Chris Conley

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Black Lighter posted:

Dhani Jones wore glasses and he was smart

I always liked him and I was very sad when he left the Giants for Cinci.

In honor of this thread I will be remembering Jason Sehorn, and I will be *specifically* remembering the play where he couldn't make a tackle cause his pants were falling down

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Brian Finneran

Generic wide receiver who blocked a field goal and tackled Plaxico Burress on a Hail Mary at the 1 in possibly the most amazing tie in NFL history.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Samkon Gado

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
cody core

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Curt Marsh

He ain't got no foot (thanks to poor medical care from the nfl).

He used to do a lot of speaking at school functions in snohomish county, WA back in the 90's. I met him a couple times.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

fartknocker posted:

Samkon Gado

Dr. Samkon Gado, please.

My boss has terrible taste in music and switches the office to some "light adult contemporary" channel that plays this every god damned day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEjhVYXwq9w

Which immediately takes me back to being like 8 and singing "Eddie Lee Ivery" to the melody.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Lee_Ivery

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Idk man. Daunte culpepper. Mark rypien. Frostee rucker

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Eddie Royal.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I always choose to remember Peerless Price

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Az-Zahir Hakim. Tony Siragusa. Kevin Faulk. Dre Bly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Isaiah Stanback

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Rudi Johnson and all our special RBs that love absolutely trucking people for two years before their body disintegrates.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Chester Taylor was a cool backup for the Ravens and also pretty good on the Vikings mostly backing up Adrian Peterson but also did well the year he started there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Malcolm Mitchell was a rookie WR for the Pats who actually looked good in 2016 and caught a bunch of passes during the 28-3 comeback, but somehow nobody noticed when they drafted him that his knee cartilage looked like aquarium gravel so he was done in a year.

He writes wholesome children's books and promotes literary and just seems like a good dude?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://twitter.com/Cedric_Benson/status/805831498926530560

rip

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
Ricky Proehl

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Troy Drayton

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Punter A.J. Trapasso.

https://youtu.be/_CwheVbNFFo?si=GvIy5aQdB5tDIu01

For some reason the Jeff Fisher Titans decided to run a trick punt in a preseason game. Trapasso faked the handoff and ran it into the end zone himself.

He washed out of the league and ended up in camp with a UFL team but didn't make the final roster so the above clip is basically his career highlight reel.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

sean10mm posted:

Malcolm Mitchell was a rookie WR for the Pats who actually looked good in 2016 and caught a bunch of passes during the 28-3 comeback, but somehow nobody noticed when they drafted him that his knee cartilage looked like aquarium gravel so he was done in a year.

He writes wholesome children's books and promotes literary and just seems like a good dude?

He read a book at my daughter's school last year and she got a free copy. :3:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

Punter A.J. Trapasso.

https://youtu.be/_CwheVbNFFo?si=GvIy5aQdB5tDIu01

For some reason the Jeff Fisher Titans decided to run a trick punt in a preseason game. Trapasso faked the handoff and ran it into the end zone himself.

He washed out of the league and ended up in camp with a UFL team but didn't make the final roster so the above clip is basically his career highlight reel.

Not just any preseason game, the loving Hall of Fame Game :lol:

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

There was a push to get Carlos Emmons into the pro bowl as a strong side linebacker because he was legitimately great at covering tight ends. It didn't go anywhere and now no one knows who Carlos Emmons is

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Gary Brackett was cool

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Michael Anthony Jones, you stole away the chance for the Titans to tie the game after St.McNair put the game on his back and we had to hear about the jesus goober grocery bagger boy for 20 years

gently caress you mike jones

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
I know a bunch of random guys from video games.

Derrick Moore was inexplicably the starting RB for the 1995 49ers in Tecmo Super Bowl III, even though he was apparently on the expansion Panthers roster. He was semi okay in that game.

Thomas Lewis was a crappy 1st round receiver for the crappy mid-90s Giants.

Howard Cross was cool.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Marc Bulger

Phillip Gaines

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006
Dat Nguyen

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Everyone knows Barry, but back in the mid 90's, there were a few years where the Lions had one of the best offenses going despite their QB being basically the Jimmy G of his era, Scott Mitchell.

He had a 3 year run as a starter and looked like a star thanks to Barry, but also two WR's named Herman Moore and Brett Perriman. Now on paper these two are too good for this conversation, hell Moore put up a near 1700 yard 14 TD season in '95 in the middle of 3 straight 1st team all pro's. But when was the last time you heard anyone mention either of those two guys? Probably not since Calvin Johnson broke their various single season / franchise records.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

fartknocker posted:

I know a bunch of random guys from video games.

In the franchise mode of whichever Madden came out the year Thomas Jones was drafted, he basically always became the greatest running back of all time. 100 speed, 100 agility, 100 hands, 100 strength, 100 everything. He would inevitably become Marshall Faulk x 100, and I still find the fact that he didn't do that IRL irrationally frustrating. There's a tiny part of my brain that insists the morass of the early 2000s Arizona Cardinals kept him from becoming the GOAT, because how could the N64 Madden ratings be wrong?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In 1994, my first year getting into Foobtall, the Patriots rushing attack sucked as loudly as you can suck. They had Marion Butts who ended up averaging 2.9 yards per attempt on 243 carries , and when the team was 4-6 Parcells said gently caress it and let a 2nd year Drew Bledsoe throw the ball an infinite number of times. This started with the second half of a game against Warren Moon that ended up setting a bunch of passing records (112 combined passing attempts for example)

This led to a bunch of volume stat records and an absurd 5 players with more then 50 receptions on some truly ugly statlines for guys not named Ben Coates.

Ben Coates: 148 targets, 96 receptions, 1174 yards, 7 TD's
Michael Timpson: 125 targets, 74 receptions, 941 yards, 3 TD's
Vincent Brisby: 122 targets, 58 receptions, 904 yards, 5 TD's
Leroy Thompson, 86 targets, 65 receptions, 465 yards, 5 TD's
Kevin Turner, 74 targets, 52 receptions, 471 yards, 2 TD's

Kid me certainly thought holy poo poo the team was going to be amazing in 1995 with an actual running back, not yet understanding the concept of volume. Who knew that adding Curtis Martin and Troy Brown to that list would make the offense... a ton more efficient and way, way worse.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Leroy Thompson was a RB and Kevin Turner was a FB too.

Kevin Turner is a guy most people don’t remember, but you’ve all seen his jersey at least once. He went to the Eagles for a few years and wore #34. Y’all know the infamous gif/video of Eagles fans at the draft yelling in anger when they selected :mcnabb: in 1999? One of the dudes yelling is wearing a Kevin Turner jersey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Julius Thomas - I thought he was THE guy then he signed with Dolphins and proved himself A guy and faded into obscurity as far as I can tell. I actually have his jersey lol

Brandon Stokley - I'm not sure what to say about him but he was cool as WR3 or 4 or whatever