Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Struensee posted:

Napping should end by age 3.

it's a pretty wide range 3-5 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mustached Demon posted:

it's a pretty wide range 3-46 years

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
posting on something awful should end at age 30. Yet here we are

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

eventually child will learn that naps own and be all hell yeah nap time

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

eventually child will learn that naps own and be all hell yeah nap time

Our nearly 3yo kinda fights naps (he still needs to nap at the moment) but also likes to listen to "Tiger" album, so I get to combine the two.

(Jungle Obsession by Roger Roger and his pal, Nino Nardini, an early mix of exotica and electronica.)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't stop thinking about the family whose 2-year old boy fell into a river in Leicester. They were just walking alongside it and then he disappeared into the raging torrent. They still haven't found the body. Can't imagine what that feels like :(

Stories like those hit me in a way they never have before. Felt sick when i was reading about it last night, still feel sick

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Naps are for 0-4 and 35+.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

fartman posted:

This one was always a fight with whoever was doing the afternoon because of course they want the kids all to be sleeping, that's their coffee break

yeah I could always tell which days my daughter took naps in pre-k or when my mother in law watched her

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
ADHD and naps aren't friends

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ikanreed posted:

ADHD and naps aren't friends

wrong

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

daycare never responded to my message so i guess i will call them tomorrow. how late will my son stay up tonight, let's see. i predict: 10:45

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

well in good news, my son who has been a champion potty pisser for a long time but who has also basically resisted pooping in the potty... pooped in the potty! i was bathing my daughter when he asked me to put a diaper on him so i was like "please just try sitting on the potty man im busy" and that's exactly what he did. great job sonny boy.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

well in good news, my son who has been a champion potty pisser for a long time but who has also basically resisted pooping in the potty... pooped in the potty! i was bathing my daughter when he asked me to put a diaper on him so i was like "please just try sitting on the potty man im busy" and that's exactly what he did. great job sonny boy.

nice

I'm really proud of my daughter, she's been resisting the potty with all her might for like a solid year now, and once she got over the hump of being scared of loving up, she took to it like she was born there.

Her minmaxed poop strat has already completely filled our reward chart, and she's on to Level 2, in which we're NOT inadvertently incentivizing her to poop/pee as frequently as possible. Every day without an accident gets a star. Every poop or pee on the big toilet (which she still won't touch) gets two stars. Ten stars gets her a stuffed kitty. Worst case, she gets the drat cat in like two days and isn't scared of normal toilets anymore, which we'll absolutely take.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

loquacius posted:

nice

I'm really proud of my daughter, she's been resisting the potty with all her might for like a solid year now, and once she got over the hump of being scared of loving up, she took to it like she was born there.

Her minmaxed poop strat has already completely filled our reward chart, and she's on to Level 2, in which we're NOT inadvertently incentivizing her to poop/pee as frequently as possible. Every day without an accident gets a star. Every poop or pee on the big toilet (which she still won't touch) gets two stars. Ten stars gets her a stuffed kitty. Worst case, she gets the drat cat in like two days and isn't scared of normal toilets anymore, which we'll absolutely take.

i think for my son he just wasnt ready, like he just said "i dont want to" and "ill do it when im bigger" any time we tried to figure out what his issue was.

this is not the very first time he has pooped in the potty so im trying not to get my hopes up but... i really hope he has turned the corner lol.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

daycare never responded to my message so i guess i will call them tomorrow. how late will my son stay up tonight, let's see. i predict: 10:45

it was 10:30

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm at 9 o'clock with the older one drifting off while the younger one does the nebulizer routine due to a sudden onset wheeze.

bedtime just takes so drat long with two kids.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

lobster shirt posted:

it was 10:30

That's wild for a young kid, what time is he getting up in the morning? And how long does they daycare let them nap for?

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My kids are asleep by seven, seven thirty when I put them to bed. My wife can't get the youngest to sleep, so she'll usually tag out around seven thirty

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Microplastics posted:

Can't stop thinking about the family whose 2-year old boy fell into a river in Leicester. They were just walking alongside it and then he disappeared into the raging torrent. They still haven't found the body. Can't imagine what that feels like :(

Stories like those hit me in a way they never have before. Felt sick when i was reading about it last night, still feel sick

Yeah, I don't read that stuff anymore.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Struensee posted:

Yeah, I don't read that stuff anymore.

I just don't engage with it at all either. If I see something like that I consciously power down imagination and empathy.

I hate when my MIL is here because she has a pathological need to see all the horrible things happening on the news and share them with us.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Yeah sorry I didn't mean to bring the thread down with a bummer. Just hosed me up a bit is all. I'll refrain in future

In LIGHTER news, my kid has started saying :thanks: in exactly the tone that that emoji conveys and it makes me laugh

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Microplastics posted:

Yeah sorry I didn't mean to bring the thread down with a bummer. Just hosed me up a bit is all. I'll refrain in future

In LIGHTER news, my kid has started saying :thanks: in exactly the tone that that emoji conveys and it makes me laugh

No worries, the defenses held.

My 18-month-old has entered a hugging phase and I am absolutely soaking it up.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

That's wild for a young kid, what time is he getting up in the morning? And how long does they daycare let them nap for?

they nap from 12 to 2, we wake him up around 7. i have tried getting him up earlier but it doesn't really seem to affect his bedtime, likely because of the nap.

my daughter on the other hand is a perfect angel, she goes to sleep at 7:30, bedtime routine is simple (bath, brush teeth, sing twinkle twinkle), and she sleeps all night.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Microplastics posted:

Yeah, stuff like this basically tanks my emotional state, sometimes for hours. I constantly think about what my kids are doing and if they're safe when I'm not around. It's maddening.

On a less downer note, speech therapy seems to be paying off for my youngest. His enunciation has improved and he's making a better effort to say something rather than get frustrated and point at what he wants. Baby steps :gbsmith:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I am very empty brain and cold heart when it comes to being separated from my kid for a workday or an afternoon. It is straightforwardly simple to compartmentalize, I simply have faith they will be ok by the time I see them

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I miss my kid. Work sucks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

TheHoosier posted:

Yeah, stuff like this basically tanks my emotional state, sometimes for hours. I constantly think about what my kids are doing and if they're safe when I'm not around. It's maddening.

On a less downer note, speech therapy seems to be paying off for my youngest. His enunciation has improved and he's making a better effort to say something rather than get frustrated and point at what he wants. Baby steps :gbsmith:

my younger son is starting to get over a lot of speech issues and he can finally rattle off extemporaneous speech without having to concentrate super hard.

I mentioned how smooth his speech had been and he said "yeah I actually really like talking now."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
my daughter's language has always seemed to be pretty good, although she does stick her tongue out to talk occasionally, but that seems to be more of a "hey this sounds really silly when I do this" than an actual issue.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I was sad when my son started saying elephant correctly instead of saying effalent

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Mustached Demon posted:

I was sad when my son started saying elephant correctly instead of saying effalent

my son used to say nanaconi instead of macaroni... very cute.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
My kid just straight up makes new words for stuff

Food = "boose"
Car = "door"
Train = "daze"
Water = "dots" (:wtc:)
Dog = "mmm mmm" (:psyduck:)

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

KirbyKhan posted:

I am very empty brain and cold heart when it comes to being separated from my kid for a workday or an afternoon. It is straightforwardly simple to compartmentalize, I simply have faith they will be ok by the time I see them

Same.

"Don't you miss your child when she's visiting grandparent?"
No, not until she is scheduled to come back.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Microplastics posted:

My kid just straight up makes new words for stuff

Food = "boose"
Car = "door"
Train = "daze"
Water = "dots" (:wtc:)
Dog = "mmm mmm" (:psyduck:)

"Fig it!!" - Fix it

"Want ee-see puffs" - Reese's Puffs

"Det down!" - Get down

"Nine calf" - Minecraft

I'm gonna miss these days.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mustached Demon posted:

it's really hard not to reinforce the incorrect pronunciations because 99% of the time they're adorable and 1% of the time they're incredibly inappropriate

"appa coco:" apple sauce & coconut yogurt
"chapup": ketchup
"geen": green
"gwocewy story": grocery store

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Dreylad posted:

Man you already let your kids listen to podcasts?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ikanreed posted:

I miss my kid. Work sucks.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

we don't have a ton of words over here, but agua is for all liquids, water or otherwise, whether we drink them or not

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dreylad posted:

it's really hard not to reinforce the incorrect pronunciations because 99% of the time they're adorable and 1% of the time they're incredibly inappropriate

"appa coco:" apple sauce & coconut yogurt
"geen": green
"gwocewy story": grocery store

Our 3yo says "banished" instead of "vanished" (no idea where he picked it up) when something's not there.

"Fergs, where's your pants?"
"Banished!"

Unfortunately, might need to correct that however funny it is.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My wife got mad at me for teaching our three-year-old how to properly make the "th" sound instead of just going "ff" a few days ago but luckily she doesn't seem to have put it into practice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cinnamon toast crunch is just crunch crunch, not sure we'll change it