Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Anybody in Canada willing to weigh in on what to expect from the Core 1 orientation workshop? I've got mine next weekend and just got an email saying I need to complete some sort of store brand Myers Briggs personality assessment and that cameras have to be on the entire workshop which is setting my expectations at "I'm going to want to blow my brains out by the end of this thing"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Tony quidprano posted:

Anybody in Canada willing to weigh in on what to expect from the Core 1 orientation workshop? I've got mine next weekend and just got an email saying I need to complete some sort of store brand Myers Briggs personality assessment and that cameras have to be on the entire workshop which is setting my expectations at "I'm going to want to blow my brains out by the end of this thing"

I finished the CFE and did all of the modules in the last year or two, AMA.

9 am to 4 pm on a Saturday and Sunday certainly isn’t fun, but at least you get an hour lunch break and two 15 minute breaks. In my experience the worst part is if there’s someone with a shitload of questions. I had a guy in my final two modules who asked a LOT of questions, so much so that I started keeping track. He even had questions during the few minutes that gave an overview of post-designation PD requirements.

Because of the pandemic I did Core 1 and 2 asynchronously so you may not do this, but there may be a group assignment. Hopefully your group will be chill like my final one was and no one insists on overthinking things, since you’re being marked on presentation.

Other than that, just be present and ask the occasional question. Not much is really expected if you, but you’ll need that weird report that personality test spits out for some small assignments.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but is there a good resource for finding a decent business accountant? My wife started her own business in 2022 (therapist). To this point we've been using a family member who is a CPA, but she's been... not good. We'd like to find a better option.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

mojo1701a posted:

I finished the CFE and did all of the modules in the last year or two, AMA.

9 am to 4 pm on a Saturday and Sunday certainly isn’t fun, but at least you get an hour lunch break and two 15 minute breaks. In my experience the worst part is if there’s someone with a shitload of questions. I had a guy in my final two modules who asked a LOT of questions, so much so that I started keeping track. He even had questions during the few minutes that gave an overview of post-designation PD requirements.

Because of the pandemic I did Core 1 and 2 asynchronously so you may not do this, but there may be a group assignment. Hopefully your group will be chill like my final one was and no one insists on overthinking things, since you’re being marked on presentation.

Other than that, just be present and ask the occasional question. Not much is really expected if you, but you’ll need that weird report that personality test spits out for some small assignments.

So it wasn't too bad although I understand why the program is so rigidly structured after seeing that a solid half the class hasn't even had a job out of university yet and I'm assuming having make work assignments every week is to keep them on track. I personally would rather just be able to do my own thing but whatever that is what it is.

How big is the capstone 1 group project? I think I did an own goal on myself with the personality test since I spiked it to get the usual obvious "leadership type" personality, I didn't realise they sorted groups based on the personality test results and now I've got a bad feeling I'm going to end up managing a bunch of snot nosed kids when that comes around lol.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Tony quidprano posted:

So it wasn't too bad although I understand why the program is so rigidly structured after seeing that a solid half the class hasn't even had a job out of university yet and I'm assuming having make work assignments every week is to keep them on track. I personally would rather just be able to do my own thing but whatever that is what it is.

How big is the capstone 1 group project? I think I did an own goal on myself with the personality test since I spiked it to get the usual obvious "leadership type" personality, I didn't realise they sorted groups based on the personality test results and now I've got a bad feeling I'm going to end up managing a bunch of snot nosed kids when that comes around lol.

Well, it’s the whole module. Most of the people who make it to Capstone 1 should have some level of discipline because the elective modules are actually tougher than the Core modules. Most people have a vested interest in passing so even if you have one person who isn’t the best, the rest should work well enough.

Not to get too ahead of you, but it requires at least one weekly meeting. Basically find the sample responses and internalize those. There’s a format they’re looking for and you had better ensure that you follow it. That also goes for Day 1 of the CFE since you’re on how well you put together the follow-up assignment (for the love of God, do not miss those practice cases in Day 1. I missed the deadline for the first one, and got a marginal fail for the second one because I didn’t address any additional operational issues. I got it when I wrote the CFE but that one is a lot harder to nail because it’s “holistic”).

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

How much practice does it take to make fewer mistakes?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Annointed posted:

Twice. You have to try it at least two times.

What they're looking for with Day 1 is different than anything else. Every other module, as well as Days 2 and 3 are practice cases where you read it, analyze it, create an outline, and then put together an answer. Day 1 has a specific format that is graded differently and if you miss one of the specific areas, you can fail Day 1 entirely. In my case, I omitted the "other operational issues" when I did the second practice and would've preferred one more shot on getting it graded so I knew what I was doing.

I still ended up passing it because I memorized the rubric, but I still don't know why Week 1 of Capstone 2 had a due date of "Saturday, 2:55 AM" and then Week 2 was "Friday, 2:25 AM". All of the other modules had similar due dates for the quizzes and integrated problems/practice cases every week.

Tony quidprano posted:

I just remembered: there's a Capstone 1 assignment guide here. Part 1 of the assignment is just a general overview of the situation, which builds into Part 2 that goes over the strategic options and other analysis, which builds into Part 3 which is the overall report that you would submit to your theoretical clients.

It looks a lot more daunting than it is, and at least it's only 7-8 weeks long. Like I said, if you can find the sample assignment and response, those will help a lot with the basic framework of the reports and presentation. Good news is that the Capstone 1 and 2 modules start immediately so you go over almost everything with the facilitators instead of waiting at least a few weeks in.

Honestly, the more annoying parts of the module were making sure your Excel pages fit into the limitations, and the peer evaluations. You had to do one immediately after your first meeting when you barely know them, and then one just 2-3 weeks later. "What is this person doing that they should stop? What is this person not doing that they should start? What should this person continue doing?"

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Annointed posted:

Were you referring to the CFE, or at work in general?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zarin posted:

Were you referring to the CFE, or at work in general?

Work in general

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Annointed posted:

Work in general

It depends on the frequency and types of mistakes. Things happen, but incorrectly processing a standard recurring invoice 3 months into a job is more concerning than charging an unusual and vague check from a vendor to the wrong account during the 5th month end close.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Democratic Pirate posted:

It depends on the frequency and types of mistakes. Things happen, but incorrectly processing a standard recurring invoice 3 months into a job is more concerning than charging an unusual and vague check from a vendor to the wrong account during the 5th month end close.

Well just now I had to change billing because there was miscommunication between a weekly to monthly invoice that apparently no boss on other other side will admit to wanting to change. Now I got to rebill for missing vehicle and gasoline payment.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

mojo1701a posted:

There’s a format they’re looking for and you had better ensure that you follow it.

Boy loving howdy did I get told this in no uncertain terms on the feedback for my first assignments. They apparently are not too loving keen on me turning in the assignment only in Excel without an accompanying word document.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Tony quidprano posted:

Boy loving howdy did I get told this in no uncertain terms on the feedback for my first assignments. They apparently are not too loving keen on me turning in the assignment only in Excel without an accompanying word document.

Yeah, the Word document is the main format, and the Excel is there for backups of statements, calculations, etc. I would always write "Please see associated Excel tab <Table 1> for calculations".

Remember: all of the practice cases are meant to be read as an actual memo to whoever the intended recipient is, which includes remembering the target's ability to understand technical jargon.

Good news is that even though you need a 75% to pass, you get 50% just for submitting the practice cases and integrated problems. They're there to make sure you're on the right path, in the event that there are areas where you need extra work.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
yeah, the whole guardrails thing is a little annoying tbh but it made sense when I saw how many fresh grads who hadn't even started work there were. I did back-calculate it out of curiosity and you basically have to get a 45% actual grade across all assignments to qualify to write the exam. I get why it's there, you gotta have some mechanism to push people over the finish line. But for myself I am 100% certain that my time and test results would be better suited to just grinding out test bank questions and a few retired exams and this stuff is just getting in the way.

Azrial
Apr 26, 2002

Coach, how did we beat Tennessee this year? The same way Vanderbilt did.

Annointed posted:

Work in general

The human error rate is 4 percent. This is why as a former auditor I sometimes hate random sampling procedures that lead to more samples if one error is found. Write down major instructions, there is nothing worse than being asked how to do something for the third time. I always tell my staff make mistakes, there is nothing you can do I can't fix and ultimately it's my mistake if it matters. You only learn by making mistakes, being terrified to make them will hurt your career more than anything.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Tony quidprano posted:

yeah, the whole guardrails thing is a little annoying tbh but it made sense when I saw how many fresh grads who hadn't even started work there were. I did back-calculate it out of curiosity and you basically have to get a 45% actual grade across all assignments to qualify to write the exam. I get why it's there, you gotta have some mechanism to push people over the finish line. But for myself I am 100% certain that my time and test results would be better suited to just grinding out test bank questions and a few retired exams and this stuff is just getting in the way.

I mean, the practice cases are basically the same as the exams. You get 4 hours to do two practice cases and a certain amount of multiple choice questions.

Like I said, it’s not a matter of grading you, but practice and evaluating you to see where you need work.

Once in a while you’ll have a case that leaves you scratching your head. I had one in Capstone 2, I think, that involved something that was never covered in any of the material at all. The only response in the discussion board from the facilitators was to research it. Which, if this is supposed to be exam prep, was absolute bullshit. Thankfully the actual evaluators have enough sense to say, “Yeah, I know this was stupid. Just keep doing what you’re doing.”

The exams are much better and in my experience most of the first four modules don’t really make you hunt for the requires. You just need you practice doing an outline and time management.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
https://x.com/ap/status/1757842566551101584?s=46

Rip to that guy

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Really need a second monitor sick of having to use half screen for everything.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

yeah 2 monitors are standard. Your office should provide.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm the one person in the world who hates using two monitors. I also hate working from home. I am a bad millennial.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I honestly prefer ultrawide

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PatMarshall posted:

It has been months please people above me it should not be this hard to get the set up done. It's really tiring to end up making errors because whoops constantly flipping through different windows and split screens to make sure everything is okay alongside changes to rates and schedules would make things a bit odd. Once I can have that things will make things so much easier for me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

PatMarshall posted:

My new office has me using a laptop and a second screen. I'd ideally have two regular screens, but it's so much better than my previous one with just one desktop screen.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Good Citizen posted:

I honestly prefer ultrawide

Yeah, give me a wide single monitor. I'm quick flipping back and forth with alt-tab, but I'm also dumb and lose my cursor between screens.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My cursor is like 5x regular size and bright green. My 30 year old business partner makes fun of me but it helps so much.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I'm a psychopath who's been working solely on my 14 inch laptop screen for the last four years but I do not recommend it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I also occasionally work from home so I bring my work laptop and plug it into my monitor there. Problem is I already have a laptop plus external monitor setup with my personal computer, so I need to find a shelf or something where I can place the work laptop above my personal laptop and not have to move it (if that makes sense).

Hellblazer187 posted:

My cursor is like 5x regular size and bright green. My 30 year old business partner makes fun of me but it helps so much.

I've noticed one of my new coworkers does this.

PatMarshall posted:

I'm a psychopath who's been working solely on my 14 inch laptop screen for the last four years but I do not recommend it.

...and I have an old coworker who used to do this, too, except that he never adjusted it to be comfortable and would be constantly hunched over staring at the screen from like, a foot or two away. He was never in the best shape, either, and I can't imagine that being any good for him.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Now I mad why so many people just not wanna pay on time. Now I have to apply late fees and be called the rear end in a top hat.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah my back is in bad shape! Collections are the worst, I'm going through it now. All I can say is try not to take it personally and try to get to a non collections role when the opportunity presents itself.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
drat, there really are a good number of people looking for tax preparers. I've picked up like three new clients this week, which is pretty good for a solo shop with no advertisements. Glad things are starting to grow.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
How's the job market for you guys currently? And which market are you looking in?

Currently in NYC, there's a hell of a lot of undesirable jobs in industry to be honest.

Lots of below market salary for the role listings, half of them can't even match my salary.

Big red flags during the interview such as understaffing, 4-5 days a week in office required, long hours, etc.

Also I don't know if it's my luck, but it seems almost every other place I interview at seems like a dumpster fire.

My current job isn't the best, but I'm already familiar with it. Why would I leave a dumpster fire for another one?

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Yeah, it's been a weird year. Hoping things turn around.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

PatMarshall posted:

Yeah my back is in bad shape! Collections are the worst, I'm going through it now. All I can say is try not to take it personally and try to get to a non collections role when the opportunity presents itself.

Good news Pat! I was able to hold off collections for a bit longer because oh gee it turns out the first person i billed late fee just had the check in the mail, said check my boss couldn't go pick up for other reasons. Meaning I have to go around apologizing to others to make sure I don't end up losing clients due to my boss's order. I really need him to sit down with me on how strict and exact he wants these late fee invoices to be. Once that happens, and the dual screens I can feel like I can improve my skills. That and getting some higher wages.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

At a weird transition/not sure what to do or look at, but here goes.

I got a bachelors in accounting back in 2005. While in college I worked as a junior accountant, doing payroll and the books for a bunch of small companies. Graduated-worked for 6 months in AR and then joined the military.

Did nothing with accounting for 13 years and then. The military sent me to get an MBA and MSF. Spent 3 years working in budgeting and execution of one year funding for $250 million, and now for my final job in the military I teach financial accounting, managerial accounting, finance, and federal budgeting classes to undergrads. I also manage our small budget of $250k.

My work has bought me the books for cpa prep and I struggle to find the time to blast through MCQ’s and correctly prep for any of the exams. My busy work schedule plus 2 young kids at home make it difficult.

I can retire from this job in 2 years and have a pension, meaning I’ll need to find a job making $90k per year to be commensurate with current pay. The con is being an instructor for my lady tour is a kinda weak bullet point on my resume.

Second option is to get the job as comptroller in 2 years and stick around for a while. That’s a huge boost to my resume I would think, plus an extra $20k in my annual pension, meaning I only need $70k in my post-retirement job to by commensurate with current pay.

On top of all this is the cpa exam-do I need it or will it not be worth the squeeze? I don’t plan on wanting to do taxes or anything. I also don’t want to work 60+ hours a week and I want remote work to be an option.

Where am I going with all this?

1) what accounting jobs, if any, would you recommend that don’t require a CPA but would allow for partial remote work? What pay could I expect?

2) is a cpa worth it if I don’t want to do taxes or be a cfo somewhere?

I realize I may be off base with some of these questions, but appreciate any suggestions!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well, if you want to make more money, talk to Deloitte (or one of the other consulting firms). You can probably get a security clearance and be making 6 figures easily on a govcon contract. Not sure about the hours, CPA is a huge plus, but probably not needed until you want to get promoted to manager or above.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
My software is killing me this year. We use CCH Prosystems and for some loving reason they keep pushing back the release that will allow us to e-file returns with form 8283. We pay way too much for this software for such a basic form to be held up.

I'd love to switch to a cheaper program next season but I've been using it going on 13 years and it and TaxslayerPro are the only programs I've ever used(and I hate the latter). Any recommendations on software with similar workflow and functionality? We do ~2,000 returns a year between business and personal.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Epi Lepi posted:

My software is killing me this year. We use CCH Prosystems and for some loving reason they keep pushing back the release that will allow us to e-file returns with form 8283. We pay way too much for this software for such a basic form to be held up.

I'd love to switch to a cheaper program next season but I've been using it going on 13 years and it and TaxslayerPro are the only programs I've ever used(and I hate the latter). Any recommendations on software with similar workflow and functionality? We do ~2,000 returns a year between business and personal.

I use UltraTax and they project the form to be available on the 29th; the IRS made some updates to the form for this year and they only finalized it at the end of January. The 8283 has been extremely rare for early season filers in my practice since the TCJA passed, but now that the brokerage statements are all out I'll probably be running into that problem shortly.

There's not a whole lot of good alternatives to Prosystems. On the expensive side you have Lacerte/ProConnect from Intuit and UltraTax from Thomson Reuters (Gosystems as well but I've never seen a small firm use it). In the middle range is ProSeries from Intuit.

And then you have a bunch of low cost software options like Taxslayer, TaxAct, OLT, and Drake. My prior firm used Drake, and the program seems to be the most popular of that group for good reason. But since being sold off to private equity, their rabid fanbase has quieted down their praise significantly... but it's still only around $2k for unlimited clients and e-filing if you pay for it early enough.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I am pissed at Ultratax and I kinda want to switch to Drake for 1/10th of the cost. After season, though.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Good news I got day off today alongside payroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Quite possibly the lamest question ever, but are there any Accounting-focused (or even just -related) podcasts that are worth anything?

I have a long (very long) drive coming up, and if I can spend any of it pretending to be even remotely productive that'd be a win.

I'd narrow it down further but that's probably already narrow enough haha