Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

the shorts page on youtube is just a nightmare in general. no content previews, thumbnails, or anything. just autoplay one video after the other with no idea of what you're getting next. is this what tiktok is like too? i feel very old and out of touch when i realize how popular these are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah i don't understand the idea that there aren't proper thumbnails on those, surely that's gonna suck for engagement, but i guess you also get less clickbait that way

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

thumbnails are for choosing what to watch, you don't choose what to watch in the tiktok model, you just consume the algorithm firehose

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

If you watch, loop or interact with the TikTok that’s an endorsement and you’ll get more. probably same for shorts

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

the shorts page on youtube is just a nightmare in general. no content previews, thumbnails, or anything. just autoplay one video after the other with no idea of what you're getting next. is this what tiktok is like too? i feel very old and out of touch when i realize how popular these are.

Yes, sort of, but the TikTok algorithm is very good about paying attention to what you’re doing. If it’s feeding you Joe Rogan horseshit and you swipe as soon as you see his face, it’s going to stop. If you watch a video to the end or interact with it, that’s an indicator you might like to see more.

TikTok is far from perfect, but it’s much better than YouTube shorts.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

YT Shorts have the "Do Not Recommend" option... click on the three vertical dots to access it.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I just use uBlock's element zapper function to nuke the shorts bar whenever it reappears on my home page.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Just Another Lurker posted:

YT Shorts have the "Do Not Recommend" option... click on the three vertical dots to access it.

I've noticed that option sometimes disappears on certain shorts. But it breaks in other weird ways constantly too.

But on the desktop I have https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/shortsblocker-remove-shor/oahiolknhkbpcolgnpljehalnhblolkm to remove them completely

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

repiv posted:

thumbnails are for choosing what to watch, you don't choose what to watch in the tiktok model, you just consume the algorithm firehose
sort of, but it still doesn't work very well when you're browsing accounts' uploaded videos

the shorts popping up in my regular youtube subscriptions are still a mess to scan, but part of it is probably also that less effort goes into the presentation of youtube shorts compared to tiktok vids

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Aaronicon posted:

Just like or dislike, and both of those are Engagement and just make it more likely for similar videos to show up

This is the problem with instagram. It doesn’t matter if you go to a page to block it, as going to the page counts as an interaction and you’re gonna get even more bros quoting bible verses between explaining blue chip stocks.

I kinda hope the short form video bubble pops but I have no idea how that works. Are creators getting compensated more than they normally would be because YouTube/Tiktok/Instagram is pushing it? Dunno how that works. I do know that a lot of people in my extended circle seem to take shorts as gospel when the creator is clearly a person shilling for a restaurant they just “happened to discover”.

buglord fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 14, 2024

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

buglord posted:

the creator is clearly a person shilling for a restaurant they just “happened to discover”.

This sounds like every food reviewer. I sometimes watch chimetime sometimes and he seems to hate everything he eats. Yet still gets views. He exclusively only does shorts too and even puts the shorts up as if it’s a long form video so even if you ignore the shorts, you still have only them to chose from.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The influencer racket seems like it gets turned to 11 for shorts. I don’t know what about the format turbocharges it but it seems way, way easier to push sponsored and scripted content. TikTok influencers have been going wild pushing the same bullet points about Helldivers 2 (like that one like about how it gives you PTSD) and I don’t think many are making it clear they’re sponsored.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Papapishu/status/1757925671718805954

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I'll bite. I'm always down to see more color being applied to computers and monitors. It's nice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

god please help me posted:

I'll bite. I'm always down to see more color being applied to computers and monitors. It's nice.

Yeah that looks great!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I would love a good navy blue or slate gray case

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have no idea about the Tiktok app, but the website is full-featured on desktop with channels that you can subscribe to and scroll though all their uploads.

That's more than I can say for Instagram which doesn't actually work on desktop at all.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Panel gaps like a Tesla

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

~Coxy posted:

I have no idea about the Tiktok app, but the website is full-featured on desktop with channels that you can subscribe to and scroll though all their uploads.

That's more than I can say for Instagram which doesn't actually work on desktop at all.

Absolute worst thing with Insta, aside from having to log in to see anything, is their disabling any «back» feature in the browser, like that tab’s history is practically deleted.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How is this worse than blanket disabling search across all of it?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

The influencer racket seems like it gets turned to 11 for shorts. I don’t know what about the format turbocharges it but it seems way, way easier to push sponsored and scripted content. TikTok influencers have been going wild pushing the same bullet points about Helldivers 2 (like that one like about how it gives you PTSD) and I don’t think many are making it clear they’re sponsored.

Buddy I've been telling my friends it gave me ptsd where are my sponsorship dollars.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
this didn't work

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

ThermoPhysical posted:

This sounds like every food reviewer. I sometimes watch chimetime sometimes and he seems to hate everything he eats. Yet still gets views. He exclusively only does shorts too and even puts the shorts up as if it’s a long form video so even if you ignore the shorts, you still have only them to chose from.

its almost always a shill for others or their ownselves when in comes to YT

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

No-one's ever said that to Jay.

E: GN review of the Arctic Liquid Freezer 3, which seems like a straight upgrade over the 2 which was already really loving good. Some really interesting stuff like the VRAM fan being removable by itself and the mounting integrating AMD offset mounting and Intel contact frame stuff. That new cap design looks super cool too and I like that they've gone to a 2-screw mount which I much prefer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfffNRTOZCc

njsykora fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 20, 2024

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

Jay, this racism is huge!!!!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

njsykora posted:

E: GN review of the Arctic Liquid Freezer 3, which seems like a straight upgrade over the 2 which was already really loving good. Some really interesting stuff like the VRAM fan being removable by itself and the mounting integrating AMD offset mounting and Intel contact frame stuff. That new cap design looks super cool too and I like that they've gone to a 2-screw mount which I much prefer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfffNRTOZCc
of loving course, right as i finally buy my liquid freezer 2. at least it can still be returned

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 20, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It's a shame GN only does thermal testing on AM4. The offset mounting on AM4/AM5 helps arctic a lot, and without that advantage on LGA1700, the liquid freeze II tended to lose a few positions in the rankings there.

edit: it'll probably still be pretty good, but it'd be nice to know how good.

edit 2: they're running special introductory deals, $90 for for the 360mm model. gotta say, that's a pretty good deal

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 20, 2024

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah this doesn't look ideal for intel mounts

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 20, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Not ideal, but that's more or less fine, the most important region has good contact pressure. It's just not a trick on par with AMD offset mounting, which is a universally great way to improve cooling on AM4/AM5.

TechPowerUp reviewed it too, and i don't trust their methodology as much as GN's but they do show the difference in rankings between AMD and Intel:

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 20, 2024

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Not ideal, but that's more or less fine, the most important region has good contact pressure. It's just not a trick on par with AMD offset mounting, which is a universally great way to improve cooling on AM4/AM5.

TechPowerUp reviewed it too, and i don't trust their methodology as much as GN's but they do show the difference in rankings between AMD and Intel:

Those results seem to indicate it does better with Intel though, which is the opposite of what you said you'd expect in the previous post? The Intel CPU is cooler (although the heat load is also 25W lower) and the max heat capacity is higher. The tests really aren't directly comparable though, in the temperature test the Intel part is 25W less heat load as mentioned, and in the heat capacity test the cutoff temperature is 5° higher on Intel.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

priznat posted:

I like animal/farming vids and there was one about “flystrike” on sheep and it was gross as hell and now my animal video recommendations are extremely nasty lol

Activate NO! mode

I realize I'm disabling a lot of youtube's functionality, but I don't want some 3 AM curiosity pop up like an acid flashback.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
You can just delete offending videos from your history individually.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Today Youtube made some changes to the default player.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

kliras posted:

of loving course, right as i finally buy my liquid freezer 2. at least it can still be returned

I just built a new PC a few months ago with a high-end Intel chip, and the LF2 420 does an amazing job cooling it. Obviously the new 3 would be better, but your LF2 should still do a very good job at cooling if you don't want the hassle of a return.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

TheFluff posted:

Those results seem to indicate it does better with Intel though, which is the opposite of what you said you'd expect in the previous post? The Intel CPU is cooler (although the heat load is also 25W lower) and the max heat capacity is higher. The tests really aren't directly comparable though, in the temperature test the Intel part is 25W less heat load as mentioned, and in the heat capacity test the cutoff temperature is 5° higher on Intel.

This is due to the difference in IHS design and maybe also the difference between monolithic and chiplets. My point was that the relative rankings are different, and that difference is true at every power level.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Mill Village posted:

Today Youtube made some changes to the default player.

I like that you’re watching a video about another aspect of YouTube being dogshit

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/1axkg7t/youtube_seems_to_be_rolling_out_a_new_theme_and/

Apparently Youtube is previewing a UI change where they're switching the description/comments section with recommended videos so you get a massive feed of thumbnails under video and a tiny comment feed on the right side.

Just lol

lmao

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Jeff Fatwood posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/youtube/comments/1axkg7t/youtube_seems_to_be_rolling_out_a_new_theme_and/

Apparently Youtube is previewing a UI change where they're switching the description/comments section with recommended videos so you get a massive feed of thumbnails under video and a tiny comment feed on the right side.

Just lol

lmao

Yeah no I won't bee seeing that, nice try googs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
To be fair, YouTube comments are loving dire.