Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Helldiver's autocannon really is great for those mid-sized armoured enemies. If you've got the time to go for a weak spot, it'll usually take them down in a single hit. But if you don't have the time to line up that shot, you absolutely can just magdump that thing and it'll take them down in about half a dozen shots hitting wherever. It's main downside is that it can't do anything against truly heavy armor, but those enemies usually tend to have much bigger weak points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

exquisite tea posted:

I don't like how bug-free toggles in video games are being called "Arachnophobia" mode. I believe anything named Arachnophobia Mode should by definition INCREASE the amount of spiders.

That's Arachnophilia mode, come on.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

That's Arachnophilia mode, come on.

Shadows Over Loathing not only has an arachnophilia mode, but also an arachnophonia mode, for when you want everything to sound like spiders.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Evilreaver posted:

Helldivers 2

Weakpoints are too small, and everything dangerous has to be shot in their weakpoint, or with limited-resource weapons (like orbital strikes). I compare this to Deep Rock Galactic, which has a similar most-things-should-be-shot-in-weakpoints game flow, but their bugs have pretty large weakpoints-- Helldivers (particularly the Automatons) have tiny little heads that are hard to hit, as they bob around while moving, and if you stand still to line up a shot you get bonked for it.

On that note, DRG has you being very mobile 95% of the time, where HD2 penalizes mobility and focuses on positioning. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the differences and it's frustrating as I'm becoming :corsair: and can't snap-aim like I used to.

Bring more bombardments. Never stop orbital bombing. You'll hit the bugs eventually. And probably your team mates, but who cares about them; they'll drop their guns so you won't have to call in a new supply drop until you run out of grenades.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The only problem with my last helldiver match was i got bodied by bugs so hard I clipped into the undersea and couldn't kill myself to respawn.

marshmallow creep has a new favorite as of 01:52 on Feb 20, 2024

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

marshmallow creep posted:

The only problem with my last helldiver match was i got bodied by bugs so hard I clipped into the undersea and couldn't kill myself to respawn.

I actually had a charger hit me so hard I clipped through a bunch of walls and got launched straight into the nest we were supposed to destroy, so I called an airstrike down on myself and went down shooting.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

I actually had a charger hit me so hard I clipped through a bunch of walls and got launched straight into the nest we were supposed to destroy, so I called an airstrike down on myself and went down shooting.

I got myself penned in, bugs all around me, teammates all dead, back to the wall. So I called down their reinforcements, and hurled the beacon over the wall- anywhere was better than here!

The beacon, and my teammates, all landed in a minefield I had set up earlier

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't like how bug-free toggles in video games are being called "Arachnophobia" mode. I believe anything named Arachnophobia Mode should by definition INCREASE the amount of spiders.

Let me tell you how many goddamn spiders are in the movie Arachnophobia, which is definitely not played in arachnophobia mode :mad:

edit to talk about something else:

I'm playing NieR:Automata, and I'm all for this Yoko Taro trolling, but sometimes it's a little bit annoying. There's this part of the game where you are in the Resistance Camp, and you get a distress signal. But at the same time, a blip appears on your map to tell you that a new quest is nearby. But if you head toward that blip, you get a game over for not responding to the distress signal. It's goddamn bait is what it is :mad:

credburn has a new favorite as of 03:38 on Feb 20, 2024

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Leal posted:

My last game I went and hugged the mountain to get around that troll. But the gods frowned upon it and had a dragon spawn. I never knew a dragon could appear on the climb to high hrothgar.

I've encountered frost trolls on the way to the "first" dungeon in playthroughs where I powerleveled my Smithing skill to 100 before leaving Riverwood (I used a cheat item because I was not going to craft a million Iron daggers AGAIN)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Evilreaver posted:

Helldivers 2

Weakpoints are too small, and everything dangerous has to be shot in their weakpoint, or with limited-resource weapons (like orbital strikes). I compare this to Deep Rock Galactic, which has a similar most-things-should-be-shot-in-weakpoints game flow, but their bugs have pretty large weakpoints-- Helldivers (particularly the Automatons) have tiny little heads that are hard to hit, as they bob around while moving, and if you stand still to line up a shot you get bonked for it.

On that note, DRG has you being very mobile 95% of the time, where HD2 penalizes mobility and focuses on positioning. I'm having a hard time adjusting to the differences and it's frustrating as I'm becoming :corsair: and can't snap-aim like I used to.

Yeah it kind of sucks. Right now I don't find the game very satisfying to play because I'll get 200 kills on a mission and 150 of them were from airstrikes or a turret. But you are encouraged to be constantly dropping stratagems because enemies arrive in packs of dozens. I never really feel like I'm contributing to the team even if objectively I am based on the stats.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

I got myself penned in, bugs all around me, teammates all dead, back to the wall. So I called down their reinforcements, and hurled the beacon over the wall- anywhere was better than here!

The beacon, and my teammates, all landed in a minefield I had set up earlier

hahahaha classic

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
In Lies of P you have a meter called Fable that you use to do special moves on your weapons. This meter does not recharge when you use a Stargazer to rest, unlike your health and Legion meter (which is the meter to use your fancy gadget arms), you can only build it back with one time consumable items or beating up enemies in combat. There's even nodes in the skill tree thing to give you back some Fable meter when you die so you aren't back to zero.

This is all completely loving pointless bullshit because if you're willing to teleport to Hotel Krat (the hub area like Majula or Firelink) you can walk into the little weapon trial area and have your Fable meter maxed out for free. It doesn't reset when you leave it either, so why the gently caress does it not just refill at Stargazers? loving infurating idiot design poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It did get quite annoying walking into boss fights with no Fable, or walking backwards just to beat up enemies in front of the door on retries. Lies of P is generally quite good about leashing enemies and placing rest stops near boss fights, but it is not always in its favor when there aren't any trash mobs nearby.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Honestly the fable charges thing is about my only mechanical issue specific to the game (other than the weird rear end coin fruit time based limited stock spawning, this isn't loving harvest moon), the rest of the game has been pretty fun. Other than the rafters in the church and expo. gently caress that poo poo. Why can't I take the bolt action rifle from those soldier puppets, the megaman arm has pitiful range :argh:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Alhazred posted:

That loving frost troll in Skyrim. It's so unfair it's almost comically.

lol I'd forgotten this guy until just yesterday morning when I watched this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKUE31peg8&t=1508s
(Timestamp 25.08 if the embed doesn't work)

Not the in-inverts "toughest" boss by a long shot, but one of the first times you'll hit any kind of wall playing through the story without going off-track too much.

(This guy puts a lot of production quality into his videos, nice to see the effort being made)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kitfox88 posted:

In Lies of P you have a meter called Fable that you use to do special moves on your weapons. This meter does not recharge when you use a Stargazer to rest, unlike your health and Legion meter (which is the meter to use your fancy gadget arms), you can only build it back with one time consumable items or beating up enemies in combat. There's even nodes in the skill tree thing to give you back some Fable meter when you die so you aren't back to zero.

This is all completely loving pointless bullshit because if you're willing to teleport to Hotel Krat (the hub area like Majula or Firelink) you can walk into the little weapon trial area and have your Fable meter maxed out for free. It doesn't reset when you leave it either, so why the gently caress does it not just refill at Stargazers? loving infurating idiot design poo poo.

There's also those cube consumables you have to recharge by going to some tree that grows in real time as you play the game. They're even worded in a way that makes it look like they replenish when you go to a bonfire, but they don't! You have to go back to the hotel, walk over to the garden, gather poo poo from the tree (if enough time has passed), and then buy more from the npc. Also the tree can only grow so much at once so the game is encouraging you to go back every half hour or so to not waste tree growth. You can completely ignore this system and be fine, but that doesn't excuse putting such a poo poo system in your game.

ToME 4 is like the only game I can think of that has fully realized that that kind of one-time use consumable just sucks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I finally got around to playing Horizon Forbidden West, and man, I can see why gamers have started to get mad about yellow paint. In the tutorial area there seem to be FOUR different ways that the game will hold you hand about wayfinding:
  • Ladders and grapple points are painted yellow
  • You can use your scanner to highlight through walls
  • You get a goddamn notification arrow on your screen whenever you are near a grapple point
  • Aloy or Her Friend are constantly shouting to each other, including things they couldn't possibly know. (enters room) "Looks like the next door is locked." Does it? does it really?
Any one of these would feel a little heavy-handed, but having ALL FOUR makes me feel like I'm watching a TV show more than playing a game. And this is with the supposedly "minimal" level of guidance on, I cannot begin to fathom what "Guided" mode would actually feel like.

I'm probably just getting whiplash because I've been playing Soulslikes all years, but uh, jeez.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I finally got around to playing Horizon Forbidden West, and man, I can see why gamers have started to get mad about yellow paint. In the tutorial area there seem to be FOUR different ways that the game will hold you hand about wayfinding:
[list]
[*]Ladders and grapple points are painted yellow

In the modern Tomb Raider games, areas like that are telegraphed not by paint but by massive amounts of bird poo poo.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Pretty much the only good version of that was Mirror's Edge because they committed and made it the main part of the colour scheme and because you were always running at high speed it was often really helpful instead of obnoxious.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hel posted:

Pretty much the only good version of that was Mirror's Edge because they committed and made it the main part of the colour scheme and because you were always running at high speed it was often really helpful instead of obnoxious.

Ironically that one worked a lot better because it was more gamey. The game didn't ask you to believe that all the important climbable stuff just happens to be painted red, but instead just comes out and says its a representation of the protagonist's instincts. But of course it also had the advantage that very nearly everything was dynamically climbable in some fashion to begin with, and the red just pointed out a good path.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Muscle Tracer posted:

• Ladders and grapple points are painted yellow
  • You can use your scanner to highlight through walls
  • You get a goddamn notification arrow on your screen whenever you are near a grapple point
  • Aloy or Her Friend are constantly shouting to each other, including things they couldn't possibly know. (enters room) "Looks like the next door is locked." Does it? does it really?
Any one of these would feel a little heavy-handed, but having ALL FOUR makes me feel like I'm watching a TV show more than playing a game. And this is with the supposedly "minimal" level of guidance on, I cannot begin to fathom what "Guided" mode would actually feel like.

I'm probably just getting whiplash because I've been playing Soulslikes all years, but uh, jeez.

In the first game, you only had the first and last of those, and Aloy wouldn't talk about puzzle solutions quite as much. "Make interactable climbing surfaces yellow" is imo important if you can't climb everything. It wouldn't work in Breath of the Wild or AC Origins, that let you climb whatever, but in a game like Horizon or the new Tombs Raider I can see a point to it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Philippe posted:

In the first game, you only had the first and last of those, and Aloy wouldn't talk about puzzle solutions quite as much. "Make interactable climbing surfaces yellow" is imo important if you can't climb everything. It wouldn't work in Breath of the Wild or AC Origins, that let you climb whatever, but in a game like Horizon or the new Tombs Raider I can see a point to it.

I agree, it was very handy. I still had to spend ages looking for where I was supposed to climb sometimes but once I found it it usually came together pretty quickly. Have not played the sequel though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't care too much about the yellow paint but I would like an option to remove it especially when it's overdone like in the RE4 remake which I liked otherwise. I did not need every single box, barrel, shootable thing to open doors, and ladder to be splashed with yellow paint. There has to be another way to indicate something is interactable as games become more "realistic" in their graphics - I'm thinking how Half Life 2 did it with supply boxes being a different model than other boxes so you didn't feel the need to smash every box.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The outrage over the yellow handholds in the new FF7 mystifies me. Unless there is actually some kind of challenge or puzzle related to the way up, please just give me some clear sign of what's climbable, thanks. I don't really want to waste time second-guessing how good the devs were at their texture or lighting work when it comes to making handholds distinguishable from other rock or whatever.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Lobok posted:

The outrage over the yellow handholds in the new FF7 mystifies me.

On the one hand, people who are both gamers and vocal on twitter think they're really smart. On the other hand, we have hours upon hours of playtesting data from games like Portal, which showed that gamers wouldn't look up unless there were arrows graffitied everywhere, or Dead Space, which had gamers try to headshot necromorphs even after 2-4 audio logs said "headshots do nothing", until REMOVE THEIR LIMBS was splattered all over the environment.

I can see a case for an off switch for people who are really insistent about their immersion, but I don't see it as an insult that the game devs went "hey, this whole place is super high-fidelity rendered, but only this stuff actually matters, ok"

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

my immersion (in the game featuring a clinically depressed vampire, talking warrior dog, weird cat doll, and a cool boomer) is totally ruined by non realisms.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
God of War addressing the yellow paint complaint by making it Kratos themed paint in Ragnarok was genuinely very funny. The white and red paint is actually harder to spot in the colorful environments so it works as a tweak, but is still so loving dumb narratively that you can only laugh that it's everywhere.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is there a game where the reverse happens? Let's say you're given a dungeon and you have to tweak it so that an NPC adventurer could reasonably beat it? Like a Zachtronics game but less boring.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I've never played the FF7 remakes and I probably won't ever get around to it, so as an impartial outsider I can say with authority: the yellow paint looks dumb. "Oh but the devs have to make the game look dumb because of all those dumb gamers who are going to play it" I mean, sure, whatever, I'm sure they've done focus testing and stuff, but it still looks dumb. You don't have to be polite about it to spare their feelings.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I dunno I'm not gonna have a breakdown over it and I do understand why they have included it but the yellow is sometimes distracting to me after a point. I'm not gonna quit a game over it, but I might over characters constantly telling me how to solve a puzzle if there's not an option to turn down hints. I just don't enjoy how every AAA game is designed by committee because the budgets for them have bloated so much that they must be designed to be solvable by literally every single person in existence with no challenge to the player.

Really though, for the most part coloring a climbable surface differently isn't too distracting, it's just when they decide it needs to be part of the game so you have yellow splashes of paint on the ground and cans of yellow paint by things like in RE4, that makes it actually distracting and noticeable. Just put a yellow X or whatever on the boxes, I don't need an in-game explanation. You can put puzzle hints in games too, just let me completely turn them off in the options if I want to. A lot of recent games like Control have patched in "cheat" options and I really appreciate those because I can turn them on if I'm annoyed by a section, but they're not on by default.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snake Maze posted:

I've never played the FF7 remakes and I probably won't ever get around to it, so as an impartial outsider I can say with authority: the yellow paint looks dumb. "Oh but the devs have to make the game look dumb because of all those dumb gamers who are going to play it" I mean, sure, whatever, I'm sure they've done focus testing and stuff, but it still looks dumb. You don't have to be polite about it to spare their feelings.

I prefer "looks dumb" over specifying that it's about immersion. Especially a game like FF7R which is artificial as all hell. And I don't mean unrealistic in the way NoiseAnnoys mentioned, I mean it's very videogame-y all over. At no point could I ever go whoa, it's like I'm really there!

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Back in my day we didn't need no yellow paint to know where to climb in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Maybe try making a less visually cluttered environment instead, game devailures

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Mr E posted:

I don't care too much about the yellow paint but I would like an option to remove it especially when it's overdone like in the RE4 remake which I liked otherwise. I did not need every single box, barrel, shootable thing to open doors, and ladder to be splashed with yellow paint. There has to be another way to indicate something is interactable as games become more "realistic" in their graphics - I'm thinking how Half Life 2 did it with supply boxes being a different model than other boxes so you didn't feel the need to smash every box.

I think this is why it was so egregious to me in HZW, was that they DID force me to select between "explorer" mode and "guided" mode, and this is still what "explorer" was like. I had to triple-check that I hadn't picked the wrong setting.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is there a game where the reverse happens? Let's say you're given a dungeon and you have to tweak it so that an NPC adventurer could reasonably beat it? Like a Zachtronics game but less boring.

The magic circle does that

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
imo signpost paint is a very obvious crutch. Games that actually have thought put into their direction and steer the player well don't need it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1WilIGQng&t=2987s

The 30 second commentary node at the timestamp is one I will always remember. Objects in the environment cast lights in the direction you should go. Players go wherever there's light.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

At least old games had the decency to make the interactables look different in normal ways, like spinning in the air or the complete absence of a lighting/shadows because they were the only thing not prerendered.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I remember being an anal dick about games holding my hand too much. I wanted Morrowind level of assistance; a journal, a compass, a map. That's all I needed. Get the gently caress outta here with quest markers and arrows pointing at things.

Now in my old age, if I don't know exactly where I'm supposed to go after ten seconds of looking I start raging.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mr E posted:

So I'm playing Far Cry 6 right now, and the faction you're allied with in the game, the Libertad, is represented by the color blue. The game uses this in a lot of ways, there's obvious arrows painted blue on the surface of some walls to point you in the right direction in certain areas (with the reasoning being it's your fellow rebels pointing their allies where they need to go), but the game uses it in more 'subtle' ways too. Blue flowers growing in the wild will usually point you toward things of notes, blue cloth and flags hanging over surfaces usually means it's a place you should go to or can reach. It comes off feeling a lot more natural than splashing yellow everywhere and calling it a day. Looks a lot nicer too.

The game DOES use yellow paint in some areas though, but generally it's darker areas where the blue wouldn't show up as well.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the libert... oh, sorry, misread that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Vandar posted:

So I'm playing Far Cry 6 right now, and the faction you're allied with in the game, the Libertad, is represented by the color blue. The game uses this in a lot of ways, there's obvious arrows painted blue on the surface of some walls to point you in the right direction in certain areas (with the reasoning being it's your fellow rebels pointing their allies where they need to go), but the game uses it in more 'subtle' ways too. Blue flowers growing in the wild will usually point you toward things of notes, blue cloth and flags hanging over surfaces usually means it's a place you should go to or can reach. It comes off feeling a lot more natural than splashing yellow everywhere and calling it a day. Looks a lot nicer too.

The game DOES use yellow paint in some areas though, but generally it's darker areas where the blue wouldn't show up as well.

FC6 is the best modern FC game. Too bad it came out after everyone got tired of them seeing it's the same formula.