Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Darth Walrus posted:

Adam specifically wasn't cool with Lute shushing him, but didn't want to make a scene in public. Maybe it's just that he's a misogynistic fratbro leading a genocidal army of beautiful young women who (according to an admittedly mysterious and not-entirely-reliable sorting system) were once decent people, but I do not have an especially charitable read on their relationship. Lute reads as the head cultist to me, with all that implies.

thats kinda my view. Adam hates the sinners and etc but its more a fun excuse to murder things judgement free. Lute is the psycho who believes in the system and also has some sort of jealosy issue with vaggie.

Flopsy posted:

I'm going to second this as the Helluva boss pilot is non canon so it doesn't really effect the events of the either show in any meaningful way. It's also the weakest of the entire lot in my opinion so no big loss if you give it a miss. Hazbin's pilot on the other hand is soft canon as nothing really contradicts itself aside from new character voices and designs.

Also as a warning take ANY wiki info with a heavy grain of salt. I've seen some fairly stupid omissions and fan edits that pointlessly make things confusing.

yeah. ill also add the hot take and say season 1 of helluva boss is kinda of mixed bag episode wise but none of them are out and out bad. its just very scattershot. season 2 is where there is way more of a plot throughline and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I think season one of HB is a bit more scattershot yeah, but when you set up the premise of "standalone adventures into the human world to kill them folks" you've gotta do a few episodes like that before you go off script and are just following the characters' lives.

See also: how often Planet Express actually does deliveries as Futurama goes on.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
if there's a St Peter, does that mean there's a Jesus?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Vampire Panties posted:

I hear characters reference God and Christ so I'd assume so. Not sure if that's ever going to be addressed though.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Moxxie and Millie being originally intended for Hazbin makes some sense. I wonder if they were replaced by Razzle and Dazzle, or even Niffty; it's easy to see them as Charlie's servants or Hotel staff, Moxxie even still looks and acts more like a maitre'd than a hitman.

Moxxie and Blitzo. Millie might have existed or was a thing developed purely for HB.

They likely being the body guards in the intial early designs does make the most sense. Why else would they be there?

You can see Moxxie in the boo section of the Hazbin pilot but he's in shadow. And yes that's Blitzo as well before they finished his final design.

Vampire Panties posted:

Didn't Husk once drop Christ name wise in episode 4?

Not that I expect him to show up in show. Then again who knows.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The main reason Jesus would be awkward besides the religious real life people is that he should support Charlie 100% on the rehabilitation of sinners thing even though she's kinda the anti-christ.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Lord_Magmar posted:

The main reason Jesus would be awkward besides the religious real life people is that he should support Charlie 100% on the rehabilitation of sinners thing even though she's kinda the anti-christ.

He would support her, which does kinda wreck the premise if it was that easy.

Never thought about how she could be considered the anti Christ. That's sorta funny.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I feel like just from a plot point of view Jesus kinda needs to be sidelined until maybe endgame because he'd immediately be on board with Charlie's plans. And it'd be really awkward for any member of the heavenly assembly to beef with the son of God for agreeing with Lucifer's kid. In the meantime I think Emily is taking his position on being the inside guy who's totally gunning for Charlie's success.

edit: Just had this amazing thought of Lucifer and God uncomfortably watching their kids gush about how much they love humanity together. Like having to put their old disagreements on the back burner for the sake of their kids.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 20, 2024

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Hazbin Hotel getting up and running as a (theoretically) viable route from hell to heaven endorsed by the leadership of both sides is only half the story. That's when they need to put in the hard work of actually redeeming sinners on a regular basis and dealing with the sociopolitical consequences for heaven and hell. Honestly, I doubt it'll take longer than the end of Season 2 (out of four) for us to reach that point.

I can see Jesus showing up as the Lucifer to Emily's Charlie - a powerful, benevolent, supportive force who still can't fix all their problems for them, not least because all this is new to him too.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The Hazbin Hotel getting up and running as a (theoretically) viable route from hell to heaven endorsed by the leadership of both sides is only half the story. That's when they need to put in the hard work of actually redeeming sinners on a regular basis and dealing with the sociopolitical consequences for heaven and hell. Honestly, I doubt it'll take longer than the end of Season 2 (out of four) for us to reach that point.

I can see Jesus showing up as the Lucifer to Emily's Charlie - a powerful, benevolent, supportive force who still can't fix all their problems for them, not least because all this is new to him too.

That's why Sir Pentious's redemption is such a vital plot hook. He's the proof the Hotel can and will work. And it's less through trust falls and exercises then creating a positive environment where you can feel safe and actually connect with like minded people. Hell is a literal crab bucket, even people who were probably just unpleasant get worse by being there. The Hotel is actually kind of a positive purgatory where they can get away from the poo poo and horror outside and once said sinner catches their breath they can actually start working on themselves. That's the vital component I think. Not to mention Charlie genuinely truly and honestly loves them and wants to help. I think being able to get away from the misery for a hot second does wonders for helping people out.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I’m only four episodes in but one thing that’s kind of bothered me ever since Charlie’s opening scene exposition about Adam and Lilith and Eden and the yearly Heaven purge and all that, is do they ever explain what happens to the slain purge victims? Is there like a super hell?

Or does this get addressed eventually and I need to just shut up and watch

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hazo posted:

I’m only four episodes in but one thing that’s kind of bothered me ever since Charlie’s opening scene exposition about Adam and Lilith and Eden and the yearly Heaven purge and all that, is do they ever explain what happens to the slain purge victims? Is there like a super hell?

That’s never explained to my knowledge, I think their souls just cease to be entirely

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The implication is that they cease to exist altogether.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Hazo posted:

They don't explain in the show unfortunately, but during a Q&A it was explained souls slain by angelic steel literally break down into their raw components and are absorbed by the environment. It's why Hell's native plant life and even architecture have eyes, teeth and faces.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Flopsy posted:

They don't explain in the show unfortunately, but during a Q&A it was explained souls slain by angelic steel literally break down into their raw components and are absorbed by the environment. It's why Hell's native plant life and even architecture have eyes, teeth and faces.

Drat, I wanted to drop that truth nugget onto folks here. Was waiting and everything but no one was asking.

You are quite correct.

No double hell. No super hell. No simple erasure.

The persons essence is absorbed by Hell itself into inanimate objects.

So those eyes you see in the sky and everywhere else. It might have been someone you use to know.

It might have been a lot of someones.

Kinda screwed up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Had a realisation that, given his unique signature appearance, position of authority and massive superpowers even relative to others of his kind, Adam is basically Heaven's equivalent of an Overlord.

Also was watching TeamFourStar's HFIL series, which I found out I'd missed an episode of, and realised that it's more or less the same premise as the Hazbin Hotel, hah.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, so is The Good Place. It's not the premise itself that's novel, it's the execution. As any nerd who came of age reading Preacher I appreciate a sarcastic postmodern take on Christian eschatology as much as anyone, where the afterlife is run by morons and sadists and has all the same relatable problems and struggles and daily-life features as the real world. This one's particular angle is a stylish fresh flavor though, and as in any present-day standout work it's the characters and their foregrounded arcs that are doing the heavy lifting of making the premise and "lore" seem so compellingly well developed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm dumb, what was the "you're still on the horse thing?" joke about? I rolled it back several times to make sure I wasn't missing something, but all I could connect it to was Fizz talking about Ozzie's huge dick, which seems... oblique?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Data Graham posted:

I'm dumb, what was the "you're still on the horse thing?" joke about? I rolled it back several times to make sure I wasn't missing something, but all I could connect it to was Fizz talking about Ozzie's huge dick, which seems... oblique?

No it's just that Blitzo has a thing for horses and Fizz knows about it and is teasing him. That's basically it, Blitzo is seen watching a show about horses at one point or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

oh lol ok

inchworm
Jun 23, 2023
is it common knowledge that too much sugar will mess up horse legs because i had no idea until i watched The Circus, and that lines up p nicely with blitzo

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

Go back and rewatch Helluva Boss and watch Blitz very carefully the entire time when there are horses around, when there are horse pictures and drawings in the backgrounds, when people are dressed as horses in incriminating photographs being tossed around by helicopter rotors, etc.

It's a LOT.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

this is why I'm having God appear before Blitzø as a horse

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Never put Blitzo and Angel Dust in the same room.

That's how donkey shows happen.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sort of curious how the two groups would get along with one another now

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blitzø would ruthlessly drag Charlie for her many issues without a hint of irony.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Blitzo: Daddy issues huh, I'll be your Daddy.

Loona: God drat it Blitz.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

Blitzø would ruthlessly drag Charlie for her many issues without a hint of irony.

I feel like Moxxie would probably be on her side to an extent though he’d likely have some logistical questions as well (I could see Blitz bumping heads with Angel and Husk a bit too and the latter just seeing right through him)

Every single one of them would probably hate Alastor though

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 20, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Oh I could definitely see that but I wonder if he would tuck it in if Lucifer was present. He had no problem roasting Mammon but the literal King of Hell while his kid is right there? I dunno....

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blitz is super self destructive and has no filter. He'd go "wow you're a short gently caress aren't ya" upon seeing Lucifer and then make it worse somehow as he tries to make up for it

speaking of Alastor I'm having it so he has a beef with the Goetia demons in my own story

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Lord_Magmar posted:

No it's just that Blitzo has a thing for horses and Fizz knows about it and is teasing him. That's basically it, Blitzo is seen watching a show about horses at one point or something.

Not just once - Blitzo is really into horses. He has posters, plays with horse toys, makes horse references over and over.

Next time you watch the series, keep it in mind and you'll be astonished just how many horse references and jokes there are about Blitzo.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Spindle Horse logo, it's his fetish.

Don't tell anyone.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

basicaly blitz is a brony basically. he litterally collects tiny MLP looking horses and writes concepts for pony shows on the white board.
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...0a507d8298893fa
https://www.reddit.com/media?url=ht...2e8df6b86f29043

Nodosaur posted:

this is why I'm having God appear before Blitzø as a horse

that might even be canon.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 20, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Awesome. I remember seeing most of those as they went past now in retrospect but I didn't put them together into any kind of running theme in my head.

Speaking of running gags though, is it just me or does the "the O is silent" thing not seem like a very good one? Just seems arbitrary and annoying. I'm sure I'll change my mind once we learn the pathos-filled backstory (or if it's an oblique deadnaming riff of some kind) either of which will make me feel like an rear end

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Data Graham posted:

Awesome. I remember seeing most of those as they went past now in retrospect but I didn't put them together into any kind of running theme in my head.

Speaking of running gags though, is it just me or does the "the O is silent" thing not seem like a very good one? Just seems arbitrary and annoying. I'm sure I'll change my mind once we learn the pathos-filled backstory (or if it's an oblique deadnaming riff of some kind) either of which will make me feel like an rear end

I saw it as Blitzo being his clown name, like Bozo, so he needed a rebrand.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
My take was he associated the o with clowns and not being very fond of his circus based life he made the change. The O still being in his name might be a tip off that he's running from his past but he's not able to really erase it either.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe. Still, it feels kind of out of step with the rest of the writing to just keep going back to that well over and over without developing it or anything.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Nodosaur posted:

Blitz is super self destructive and has no filter. He'd go "wow you're a short gently caress aren't ya" upon seeing Lucifer and then make it worse somehow as he tries to make up for it

speaking of Alastor I'm having it so he has a beef with the Goetia demons in my own story

Speaking of which i don't know if this has been posted yet but it's an imperative to watch.

https://www.tumblr.com/diabloku/742440307167248384/the-link-to-the-youtube-video?source=share

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

As someone with a name that is constantly misspelled even in written communication, I honestly just appreciate the verisimilitude of a character needing to explain something important to them but inconsequential to everyone else over and over again to the point of it practically just becoming a verbal tic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Maybe. Still, it feels kind of out of step with the rest of the writing to just keep going back to that well over and over without developing it or anything.

It gets more and more blatant as the show goes on that Blitzo wants to distance himself from who he was in his past; that being a clown. And considering how he was a terrible clown who accidentally destroyed the circus he was born in it makes sense. It's also kind of a quiet way of characters expressing whether or not they hate him.