Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

spooky 8 year old slowly sings twists and shout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Famethrowa posted:

Bottoms was super charming. was not expecting such a surreal? magical realist? movie

Marshawn Lynch had my favorite line delivery of 2023

https://twitter.com/andrew12la/status/1753927681442304472

Just to be 100% clear this is not what I actually believe. The Holocaust was indeed real.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Papercut posted:

Yeah it's very well-acted and well-made, it's just the cartoonish cruelty is way over-the-top

Yeah, he always insisted it was just to be true to the challenges kids are facing today, but then he made his next show and fired all the women from the writing room that said "this is unnecessarily gross and exploitative, can we tone this down?"

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

The Peccadillo posted:

I'll be honest the refrain of the soft indie score of Twist and Shout was more jarring than the narrative ending

loving foolish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIBP62zRa3k

This was one of the dumbest things to ever happen on a TV show since the invention of the television.

Rest of the episode was alright

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I really hated the music in true detective s4. It was actually pretty similar to the Traitors UK music. Undermined a lot of the drama on what was otherwise quite a good show.

Looking forward to whatever Kali Reis does next.

firewalker
Aug 7, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

I really hated the music in true detective s4. It was actually pretty similar to the Traitors UK music. Undermined a lot of the drama on what was otherwise quite a good show.

Dark vibes Twist and Shout was just ridiculous.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
You guys are telling me you didn’t get excited for the dark and brooding cover of the hit 90s song “Save Tonight” by Eagle Eye Cherry???

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Chas McGill posted:

Maybe a broody indie music career, I think that might be her singing, sounds like her voice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mcmagic posted:

Euphoria is pretty gross but it's also pretty good too. Zendaya is awesome in it.

The only actor on EUPHORIA to me that stands out for even a moment is Alexa Demie, legit have no clue what people are talking about wrt that show.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXRkqXfhYM

I always watched and listened to the intro to true detective season one

"When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold" is an all timer lyric

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 21, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The only actor on EUPHORIA to me that stands out for even a moment is Alexa Demie, legit have no clue what people are talking about wrt that show.

Angus Cloud is amazing in it but also appears to be playing himself

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I still think True Detective S2 is the worst one by a lot but I think it has the best intro credits song, Leonard Cohen is GOATed

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Agreed in general but I don't like that song, I sounds kinda like a worse funkless version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPFIkty4Zvk

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 21, 2024

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Now I want to hear a version of Why Does It Hurt When I Pee? in a somber tone.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The killer pushes their victim into an open grave, and as they rain dirt on the body the killer calmly whispers "You're gonna push the little daisies and make them come up."

A haunting "Do do do, do do do do" starts as the opening credits play.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man, I finally checked out Uncut Gems and holy poo poo is it intense. And stressful. I'd always heard Sandler was good in it but was not expecting him to be great.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sandler can act, man, even if he is a slut for easy money the rest of the time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

Man, I finally checked out Uncut Gems and holy poo poo is it intense. And stressful. I'd always heard Sandler was good in it but was not expecting him to be great.

one of the few movies of the last decade that I can confidently point to as an all time American classic. Truly amazing and I can't believe I ate an edible before my first viewing.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I watched Bodies Bodies Bodies, much more entertaining than I expected despite nearly every character being absolutely insufferable. That ending was just awesome.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Euphoria is the product of a 30 something year old white nepobaby and the stink of that is hard to miss, though there's enough money and talented people behind it that it's sorta competent and stylish (but also often sorta creepy).
My ex pushed me through the first season and I don't think I ever got much farther but that whole like season finale dance thing I can barely remember is pretty emblematic of the show. Just a lot of spectacle and noise thrown at the screen.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fart edit

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 21, 2024

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Euphoria has some dope as hell needle drops

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

The Peccadillo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXRkqXfhYM

I always watched and listened to the intro to true detective season one

"When the last light warms the rocks and the rattlesnakes unfold" is an all timer lyric

Same. The Handsome Family's whole Singing Bones album is great, if you liked this song.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Papercut posted:

Angus Cloud is amazing in it but also appears to be playing himself

Oh yeah, the guy that was so like his character he fuckin died OD'ing on a speedball.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Watched Crimes of the Future on Hulu. This is the latest David Cronenberg body horror movie. I found it unintentionally funny with how Vigo Mortensen’s character, who spends a majority of the movie in pain, can’t deliver a line without contorting his face or heavily breathing, gasping for air as well as Kristin Stewart’s line delivery which are all whispered with constant lip biting as she gets more and more horny thought out the movie.

It’s basically a Cronenberg rear end Cronenberg movie… would recommend.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Tainen posted:

Watched Crimes of the Future on Hulu. This is the latest David Cronenberg body horror movie. I found it unintentionally funny with how Vigo Mortensen’s character, who spends a majority of the movie in pain, can’t deliver a line without contorting his face or heavily breathing, gasping for air as well as Kristin Stewart’s line delivery which are all whispered with constant lip biting as she gets more and more horny thought out the movie.

It’s basically a Cronenberg rear end Cronenberg movie… would recommend.

i liked it quite a bit but i feel like making kristen stewart the main character and making viggo her weirdo secretive boss or whatever would've been a better call, the whole bit about him being a police informant goes nowhere and seems like one of those 'this was important in an earlier draft' type deals

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.

Famethrowa posted:

one of the few movies of the last decade that I can confidently point to as an all time American classic. Truly amazing and I can't believe I ate an edible before my first viewing.
Agree on being an amazing movie, but I enjoyed seeing it with an edible the first few times. Not recommend for the faint of heart or those prone to panic/anxiety attacks (but then I ask why are you doing weed)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does anyone have a link to that super in-depth analysis of True Detective season 1 on reddit? I recall it being multiple pages and comments in length. I can't come up with it on a search engine.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Euphoria has some dope as hell needle drops

The other thing about Euphoria is that a bunch of the people on that show are huge stars now lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm kinda hatewatching Mr. & Mrs. Smith at this point, very disappointing to me. There's never any sense of danger or stakes, they just kinda sleepwalk through every situation and then whine a bunch. I'm really not understanding what they're going for at all. There's obvious hints of plot twists coming regarding the nature of their position but the main characters seemingly have zero interest in examining or questioning their circumstances...

It feels like show is just repeatedly hammering the joke that marriage is harder than action movie shenanigans and that's about all I'm getting from it.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The show is putting an especially thin veneer of spy stuff on relationship stuff. The deliberate thinness of the veneer is what is different and interesting about it. A show like the Americans kinda has a story arc and a relationship arc, and they will weave in and out, echo each other, and sync up for big moments and so forth. MM&S's gimmick is being completely driven by the relationship and as you watch it you're supposed to think about relationships 95% of the time.

Like, in S1E6, when John 'makes friends' with some guys, and Jane is listening on overwatch, then she suddenly starts sniping them dead -- that's just funny IMHO if you have ever been any of the vertices on that partner-partner-friend triangle.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't like when the show puts the relationship stuff at the expense of the characterization. Like the meet-cute dinner party episode makes no sense in the context of having seen these people execute numerous high-risk spy missions. The idea of bonding with another couple over the spy poo poo is mildly amusing but comes at the expense of turning Mr. and Mrs. Smith into fawning idiots, I hated it.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Sax Solo posted:

The show is putting an especially thin veneer of spy stuff on relationship stuff. The deliberate thinness of the veneer is what is different and interesting about it. A show like the Americans kinda has a story arc and a relationship arc, and they will weave in and out, echo each other, and sync up for big moments and so forth. MM&S's gimmick is being completely driven by the relationship and as you watch it you're supposed to think about relationships 95% of the time.

Like, in S1E6, when John 'makes friends' with some guys, and Jane is listening on overwatch, then she suddenly starts sniping them dead -- that's just funny IMHO if you have ever been any of the vertices on that partner-partner-friend triangle.

That was cute about it, I've been on both sides of that dynamic. It does not generally turn into operational clandestine murder

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I got kind of bored with Mr and Mrs Smith too, I felt like there wasn't enough to it. The best part was the other spy couple episode (with the guy who played Escobar in Narcos!) but the rest of it wasn't great. I didn't even finish the last episode.

Also I liked Maya Erskine previously but in a recent interview she said "I think people who don't like nepo babies are jealous." which kind of put a sour taste in my mouth, seeing as her dad is an insanely successful drummer and she went to a super exclusive and rich private school.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Morally jesus christ no I seen a father pull a child out of a schoolbus and I was like "hooray" but then his twisted face lolled back into the screen and his eyes and jaw were gone and it was a bit much I think I don't want that, death to Israel

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i think you meant to post int he PIV thread my dude

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Peccadillo posted:

Morally jesus christ no I seen a father pull a child out of a schoolbus and I was like "hooray" but then his twisted face lolled back into the screen and his eyes and jaw were gone and it was a bit much I think I don't want that, death to Israel

:haibrower:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Peccadillo posted:

What the hell movie

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Inspector Hound posted:

What the hell movie

Tweets. You can see Gazans screaming if you so chose

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Aphex- posted:

The best part was the other spy couple episode (with the guy who played Escobar in Narcos!)
Oh you mean the Parker Posie episode. :D I think the last episode is maybe the worst one so no great loss. I think I got what M&MS was going for, but my main problem with it is that they succeeded so well at the relationship trouble part that I was sick of their poo poo too, and I didn't care about either of them by the end.

I saw Dream Scenario last night and liked it well enough, though it's about the heft of an episode of Black Mirror.