Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That's the old school revolver grip, but I'm pretty sure most people these days have never used a revolver, let alone trained with one long enough to do that out of the blue and make a blood sacrifice to the slide gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

quote:

US Navy Destroyer not allowed to enter Japanese Port

As Naval News previously reported, the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115), one of the U.S. Navy’s newest destroyers and is outfitted with the Aegis Baseline 9 combat system, was supposed to make a port call in Ishigaki Island from March 11 to 14 for the purpose of rest and replenishment, according to an official at Ishigaki City.

But on February 9, the city made a decision not to allow the destroyer to enter the port on the grounds that the destroyer’s draft was deep and exceeded safety standards for port use, an official at Ishigaki Coast Guard Office told Naval News on February 13.

Specifically, the deepest quay in the Ishigaki Port is 10.5 meters, but this destroyer’s draft is 9.8 meters. The Japan Ports and Harbors Association, a public interest incorporated association, has set the standard for safe use of ports as “required water depth = draft of the incoming vessel x 1.1”. Applying the destroyer’s draft to this formula, the required water depth is 10.78 meters, which exceeds the 10.5 meters depth of the Ishigaki Port. For this reason, the city’s port and harbor department ruled that the destroyer could not enter the port, saying there was no quay capable of berthing at the port.

For this reason, the U.S. Navy is planning an alternative method for the destroyer, which is to anchor offshore, transfer the crew to another ships, and then make them land on the island without docking at Ishigaki Port.

The Ryukyu Shimpo newspaper in Okinawa also reported on February 12, citing unnamed officials, “The destroyer will be anchored at a quarantine anchorage’ about 3 kilometers offshore from the berth of the Ishigaki Port.”

Local Island Discovers One Weird Trick to Keep Sexual Assault Rates Down. Foreign Navies Hate It!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Harbor masters are the fire marshals of the Sea.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You guys need to get launch service next time you negotiate your contract.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
This never would have happened under Fat Leonard's tenure.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Acorn Causes Assault & Battery

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Thank you, thread, for confirming that the officer was in fact as foolish as it seemed.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Tbh it's pretty safe to not give benefit of the doubt when a cop allegedly does cop things. It's practically tautological.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Smdh if you are giving a cop the benefit of the doubt for any-drat-thing in the current environment. Pig says the grass is green, you find a window and make sure for your drat self.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Smdh if you are giving a cop the benefit of the doubt for any-drat-thing in the current environment. Pig says the grass is green, you find a window and make sure for your drat self.

Wait for the cop to leave first

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Moon Slayer posted:

Local Island Discovers One Weird Trick to Keep Sexual Assault Rates Down. Foreign Navies Hate It!

10% UKC is a bit high, but hey, good on them.

Most harbours and companies have a fixed UKC, like minimum 1 meter or something like that, but I can see why you’d do something relative if you have a wide range of drafts and depth.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I once had PNSY reach out to our customer support center and ask if our sounder indicated depth-below-keel or depth to the actual transducer face. Question came to me, and I provided CSC the answer but pointed out that the difference is only inches and that it's a scary question to ask and made me think they were about to do something dumb. (PNSY has always been a problem child, I expect dumb from them.)

Sure enough, they wanted to move the boat to a berth where they weren't sure they had enough water. I think they ultimately decided to put the boat someplace else.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
It's not running aground, it's "damp docking"

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Sailed hard and put away damp

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Any ship can be berthed anywhere ... once.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

So this seems like a good place to ask this. I've noticed some posts around the internet saying

quote:

“If I charge, follow me. If I retreat, kill me. If I die, revenge [sic] me.”
― U.S. Marine Corps

Is this actually in any way associated with the USMC? It looks like the official USMC account posted it on Twitter ten years ago, but I'm not really finding much in the way of history or origins, other than SEO trash on the internet about this.

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/378805924456321024

Because I know for sure it was the swearing-in oath of Ossewabrandwag, a Nazi militia in South Africa during WWII...

(Searching Google books seems to suggest that it did, in fact, originate in South Africa.)

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
US Marines willingly or unwittingly Nazi symbols???

You don't say.....

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So this seems like a good place to ask this. I've noticed some posts around the internet saying

Is this actually in any way associated with the USMC? It looks like the official USMC account posted it on Twitter ten years ago, but I'm not really finding much in the way of history or origins, other than SEO trash on the internet about this.

https://twitter.com/USMC/status/378805924456321024

Because I know for sure it was the swearing-in oath of Ossewabrandwag, a Nazi militia in South Africa during WWII...

(Searching Google books seems to suggest that it did, in fact, originate in South Africa.)

It's a Henri de la Rochejaquelein quote if I remember correctly. Usually called upon by right adjacent people.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It was most widely popularized by Mussolini but predates the British rule of South Africa. There's a neat WWI-era photo of it in a French trench near Verdun.

"WikiQuote posted:

* "If I advance; follow me! If I retreat; kill me! If I die; avenge me!"

Mussolini actually repeated this sentence various times but the quote didn't originate with him. Attributed to Mussolini by G. K. Chesterton in G. K's Weekly (1925), and later appearing in "Duce (1922-42)" in Time magazine (2 August 1943), this actually originates with Henri de la Rochejaquelein (1793), as quoted in Narrative of the French Expedition in Egypt, and the Operations in Syria (1816) by Jacques Miot

It's also the motto of the Kaibiles, special forces of Guatemala.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I'd follow that mouse to the gates of hell itself!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Scratch Monkey posted:

I'd follow that mouse to the gates of hell itself!

But just to kick him in and slam it shut.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Gruntstyle knows their market. Hard to find a group of people more enamored with edgy graphic print tshirts than modern chuds.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Gruntstyle knows their market. Hard to find a group of people more enamored with edgy graphic print tshirts than modern chuds.

You own one.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
So,
If you retreat I have to kill you. Okay.
But that means that you have died and now I have to avenge you.
Presumably by committing suicide and leaving some other poor sucker to avenge my death on my own body?

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

You own one.

Truly disturbing news.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

EmptyVessel posted:

So,
If you retreat I have to kill you. Okay.
But that means that you have died and now I have to avenge you.
Presumably by committing suicide and leaving some other poor sucker to avenge my death on my own body?

We're getting really weird at trying to find ways to divide by zero

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fun part is at best they are advocating commisars which is it own level of weird.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I wish I could say I'm surprised that after all these years I'm just now learning where that quote is from and that it's from terrible origins. I can't say that, and honestly the surprising thing is more that I never looked it up when I was much younger and used to try find the sources and that one just didn't end up being one of them. I just assumed it was made up, but ofc not.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I remember one of my boots texting me this years ago ahh man good times

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

SlowBloke posted:

It's a Henri de la Rochejaquelein quote if I remember correctly. Usually called upon by right adjacent people.

Thanks, did not know this. Also lol that he was a French Royalist, so would have been an enemy of the American state at the time too.

Digging further into this, it really looks like the motto largely disappeared from consciousness after WWII, outside of South Africa. In South Africa, it seems like it was somewhat popular with at least some of the police and army, many of whom were probably in Ossewabrandwag and the later AWB. Google books ngrams and search trends don't even track the motto, and a search of Google Books brings up a ton of South African books with a sprinkling of books about Mussolini and the French Revolution.

But one of the results that comes up in a Google book search is Guns of the South by Harry Turtledove, which was published in 1992. I haven't read it (and it sounds like I shouldn't), but I guess it makes sort-of sense. The book is about time-travelling South African neo-Nazis, so they'd say South African Nazi things. And it also aggrandizes the South, so would have been read by the hard-right. So my guess would be that Guns of the South was how the phrase entered the US right-wing (and USMC?) vernacular...

(It could also have been "FW:FW:FW:White Genocide" emails from the 90s, though.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Isn't it a plot point in that series (never read it) that the southerners get a look at the time-travelling nazis and say "gently caress, we do not want to end up like that" and become less racist?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

An army that never retreats sounds very easy to destroy via repeated ambushes.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Isn't it a plot point in that series (never read it) that the southerners get a look at the time-travelling nazis and say "gently caress, we do not want to end up like that" and become less racist?

Yeah, it intensely rehabilitates Robert E. Lee as a good man who eventually rejects the South Africans and reforms the victorious south into a more egalitarian society IIRC.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Bring back the practice of having a giant display gun made to teach soldiers what each part does, I say.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Bring back the practice of having a giant display gun made to teach soldiers what each part does, I say.

I didn't realize "Small Soldiers" was a documentary.

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

fun part is at best they are advocating commisars which is it own level of weird.

Army & Air Force Execution Service

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

McGavin posted:

I didn't realize "Small Soldiers" was a documentary.

Somewhere a Marine just got irrationally angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Moon Slayer posted:

I want a Souls game that uses the oversized BAR as a melee weapon. Requires 60 strength to wield.