Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Motronic posted:

Where did you see someone reviwing an LG (presumably front load) washing machine as unreliable? They are generally accepted to be among the best in that class, with Samsung being the worst.

I have an LG front loader that is still going strong after almost a decade. Can't say the same for two LG TVs I owned. They were crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Skunkduster posted:

Can't say the same for two LG TVs I owned. They were crap.

Or their refrigerators, or lots of other LG things. It's kinda like Bosch: only buy the dishwasher.

I think this is probably where that came from, people not understanding that appliance product lines vary wildly in quality from type of item to type of item.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
wow, i can't believe all this hate for LG appliances.

I have an LG front load washer and gas dryer for 7 years, not 1 problem on either. I have an LG gas stove for 6 years without a single problem.

My inlaws bought a fridge and electric stove from Samsung - they replaced the fridge after ONE MONTH because the compressor sounded like a diesel truck idling in their kitchen. this was "normal" when the repair tech came, and checking reviews after the fact, seemed like a normal complaint. they lost $2k because they just had to get rid of it, it wasn't "defective" as per Samsung.

the stove had to have the control panel replaced THREE times, twice under warranty. after it crapped out the 3rd time, they got rid of it - only 3ish years old.

as of now I will continue to buy LG appliances in the future.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Some Guy From NY posted:

wow, i can't believe all this hate for LG appliances.

Ther's not "hate" for them, and a sample size of one for a mass produced white good is basically meaningless. The conversation here is about odds and large numbers (consumer surveys, tech/shop surveys), as well as multiple class action law suits (LG compressors). Feel free to disregard if you want to be brand loyal. Nobody is telling you what to choose.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

Where did you see someone reviwing an LG (presumably front load) washing machine as unreliable? They are generally accepted to be among the best in that class, with Samsung being the worst.
I'm not sure where I initially got the idea from, quite possibly these forums, but it was echoed by the appliance repair tech that my home warranty insisted we call out to confirm that the old washing machine wasn't worth repairing and I really didn't have any reason to question it since my LG dishwasher is an annoying piece of poo poo.

We were at the time discussing top loaders if it matters, at the time my SO was against front loaders.

I guess good to know if the Electrolux turns out to be a bad call, LG seems to easily be the most common brand on retail floors.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

We were at the time discussing top loaders if it matters, at the time my SO was against front loaders.

I think it does matter a lot. To my understanding there are very few companies that make a good top loader and they all look like domestic brands.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Motronic posted:

I think it does matter a lot. To my understanding there are very few companies that make a good top loader and they all look like domestic brands.
Which is rough, if you're into dyeing. Dyeing in a laundromat rips up the social contract, burns it, and spits on the ashes.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Hardwood flooring question:

Given an old house with hardwood laid directly on joists on the ground floor, I’ve read people sometimes treat the old floor as subfloor, add underlayment, and install new wood over top.

How the heck do you handle doorways in that situation, since you’re adding 3/4” + a bit to the floor level? shave the bottom edge to fit?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

the yeti posted:

Given an old house with hardwood laid directly on joists on the ground floor, I’ve read people sometimes treat the old floor as subfloor, add underlayment, and install new wood over top.

How the heck do you handle doorways in that situation, since you’re adding 3/4” + a bit to the floor level? shave the bottom edge to fit?

Take em off their hinges and cut off the bottom with a circular saw. Honestly that would be the easy part, you'd also have to do the same thing with all the door trim and baseboard. A skilled installer could probably handle the door trim with a oscillating tool, baseboard you'd probably have to entirely remove and replace. That would be a very annoying job.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Sirotan posted:

Take em off their hinges and cut off the bottom with a circular saw. Honestly that would be the easy part, you'd also have to do the same thing with all the door trim and baseboard. A skilled installer could probably handle the door trim with an oscillating tool, baseboard you'd probably have to entirely remove and replace. That would be a very annoying job.

Potentially wrecking an oak door seems in my head more hair raising but yeah point well taken.

The rooms in my place this might apply to are all full of failing plaster tho so that trim is coming off sometime anyway.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

the yeti posted:

You refinish it if you can you monster.

Otherwise yeah you trim your doors. Same as you did for thick pile carpet. Hinge pins come out trivially and then the door just falls off.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the yeti posted:

I would simply sand 3/4" off every joist.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

the yeti posted:

Potentially wrecking an oak door seems in my head more hair raising but yeah point well taken.

Somebody did this with every door in my house, when they installed carpet. The carpet was gone by the time I bought the place and now I just have doors that are a little too short. It doesn't look too bad in most cases, except for the bathroom where it seems someone cut it with hand tools, poorly, at an angle, and the hallway closet where its clear they thought they were cutting the bottom off but whoops actually it was the top?? Well moving the hinges is too much work so let's just cut off the bottom too and leave it like that...

Yeah.

Long story short, 4 years later I have only these two original doors remaining to be primed and painted. All the rest required a ton of time to sand, patch, paint, and for a couple convert from mortise lock to standard handle sets. Two had to be trimmed and extended. That hallway closet door is at the front here.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Sirotan posted:

g the bottom off but whoops actually it was the top??

Goddamn I feel this in my bones. I can hear the "motherFUCKER" across both time and space.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

Electric riding mowers aren't there yet, especially for 2+ acres, plus their prices are ridiculous. If you have lots of trees, you may want to get a zero turn radius mower.

I got the 54” zero turn electric Ryobi on sale. gently caress small engines forever imo.

Qwijib0 posted:

This ryobi apparently isn't bad (once you do a full battery swap)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQVa48RJ1_E

(This now a common thing, based on a quick google search to see if ryobi just sells a lifepo4 version already, they don't appear to sadly)

Yeah this one! AFAIK from the manual and stuff, this uses LiFePo already. At least in Canada in the 2023 models?

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

H110Hawk posted:

You refinish it if you can you monster.

I’m waffling! I would prefer it get refinished but since there’s no subfloor relaying over it would solve a handful of things- drafts from the basement, dust falling into the basement, all the broken or sagging ends, damaged spots, etc

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do the most annoying of both worlds, remove the old hardwood, put a subfloor, re lay the old hardwood, and re finish.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

the yeti posted:

I’m waffling! I would prefer it get refinished but since there’s no subfloor relaying over it would solve a handful of things- drafts from the basement, dust falling into the basement, all the broken or sagging ends, damaged spots, etc

Closed cell spray foam on the underside of the subfloor. It will stiffen it up quite a bit too.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Cyrano4747 posted:

Goddamn I feel this in my bones. I can hear the "motherFUCKER" across both time and space.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

the yeti posted:

The rooms in my place this might apply to are all full of failing plaster tho so that trim is coming off sometime anyway.

Just a heads up if the plaster is failing, prepare for it to crumble apart at, and slightly above, the height of the baseboard when you pull it, no matter how careful you are.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Slugworth posted:

Just a heads up if the plaster is failing, prepare for it to crumble apart at, and slightly above, the height of the baseboard when you pull it, no matter how careful you are.

Oh yeah I’ve done a buncha trim in other rooms so I’m well aware, but thanks

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

the yeti posted:

Oh yeah I’ve done a buncha trim in other rooms so I’m well aware, but thanks

Did you repair a bunch of plaster yourself? I accidentally put a hole in one of our plaster and lath walls and it’s so much work to fix, felt terrible.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

Did you repair a bunch of plaster yourself? I accidentally put a hole in one of our plaster and lath walls and it’s so much work to fix, felt terrible.

If you've only done it once be sure that it keeps getting easier. It's procedure which you learn and art which you get more used to the more you do it.

Plaster as well as drywall were made and intended to be patched.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

If you live in a place where you can get Synko Concrete Fill then repairing plaster, when the lath is okay or minimally damaged, is about the easiest wall repair you can do. If the lath is damaged enough that it's broken a bunch of keys, then you're in for a fun time. We just rewired our house which involved cutting an repairing a half meter high trench along most walls plus a million bonus holes, so I got to experience the whole plaster repair gamut from "blorp some quickset over it" to "cut the wall out and hang drywall". Very amusing, would not recommended.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

steckles posted:

If you live in a place where you can get Synko Concrete Fill then repairing plaster, when the lath is okay or minimally damaged, is about the easiest wall repair you can do. If the lath is damaged enough that it's broken a bunch of keys, then you're in for a fun time. We just rewired our house which involved cutting an repairing a half meter high trench along most walls plus a million bonus holes, so I got to experience the whole plaster repair gamut from "blorp some quickset over it" to "cut the wall out and hang drywall". Very amusing, would not recommended.

My entire house is lath and plaster all around except for the addition they did some decades after it was built. I'd really like to get rid of it, but it's apparently a gigantic job and I'm very tired.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

hark posted:

My entire house is lath and plaster all around except for the addition they did some decades after it was built. I'd really like to get rid of it, but it's apparently a gigantic job and I'm very tired.

:emptyquote:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Home Zone: It's a gigantic job and I'm very tired

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

hark posted:

My dining room is the only room left with lath and plaster and someone put up paneling over it about 50 years ago. When I pulled back some of the paneling it was nothing but cracks and holes, not looking forward to finishing that room.

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

hark posted:

I'd really like to get rid of it, but it's apparently a gigantic job and I'm very tired.
Nothing wrong with plaster if its in good shape. I think it's the superior wall stuff as far as longevity, sound damping, and character go. Definitely a huge job to replace even a small amount of it though. You do not know the meaning of dust until you demolish a plaster wall. Plus every single sheet of new drywall will probably need 1"-6" trimmed off, because the studs in old houses are usually nowhere close to 16" apart. And your floor probably isn't flat anymore either, leaving all kinds of fun gaps to fill.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Good news every one! We found the leak!

Bad news everyone! It’s almost certainly in the slab! :shepspends:

Edit: whoops that was for the other home thread. Whatever. Works here too.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 22, 2024

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Cyrano4747 posted:

Good news every one! We found the leak!

Bad news everyone! It’s almost certainly in the slab! :shepspends:

Edit: whoops that was for the other home thread. Whatever. Works here too.

What's the other home thread?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I honestly don’t distinguish between the two threads and just post whatever in whichever

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

hark posted:

What's the other home thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3774735

Because if it's worth doing, it's worth doing twice

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I thought it was the fix it fast thread. Now I have three bookmarks about having a house

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

It seems my window probably suck rear end.

When my neighbor grills or smokes a cigarette, they're backyard is near my living room windows, I can smell the smoke. Very confusing the first couple times it happened, i thought i was having a stroke

I also can hear every drat car that goes down the street.

How do i start evaluating their noise and insulation properties (kinda feels like I already did this anecdotally) and start looking for windows while avoiding getting ripped off?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Looks like it’s finally new hvac time! :shepicide:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

KoRMaK posted:

It seems my window probably suck rear end.

When my neighbor grills or smokes a cigarette, they're backyard is near my living room windows, I can smell the smoke. Very confusing the first couple times it happened, i thought i was having a stroke

I also can hear every drat car that goes down the street.

How do i start evaluating their noise and insulation properties (kinda feels like I already did this anecdotally) and start looking for windows while avoiding getting ripped off?

I think the overall thing to remember throughout is replacing them will make your home more comfortable from a sound, temp, and apparently smell perspective, but will never pay themselves off.

I'm also kind of interested. My house has replaced windows on the first floor and original aluminum upstairs, all of the units have popped, they look awful, they don't block much sound, and you get a nice draft off them.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

It’s much much cheaper to buy windows direct and get contractors in to install them rather than going with one of the big companies.

Like, half or more cheaper. I paid $7k for 8 large windows and the biggest sliding glass door I could purchase from a company called showcase through McCoys (Texas lumber company) and another $7k to install them. loving pella quoted me $60k to replace all windows and I did half for a quarter of that.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Who do you look for for a window replacement contractor? Carpenters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esc Ctrl PgUp
Jan 1, 2023

I had a window shatter spontaneously last week (cracked but no impact) and short of figuring out how to buy/cut a new double pane I for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it repaired.

The only contractor that answered my call sounded belligerently drunk. The glass specialty shop I got ahold of did their best job to convince me not to bother repairing it.