Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Intruder posted:

It's pretty funny because he was always fairly critical of dems but the culture has changed to the point where any mild criticism of Biden is treated as an endorsement of Trump by liberals

He also opened the segment with the ol-switcheroo by showcasing all of Trump’s recent gaffes so it’s not like he let him get away scot-free

If you can’t defend against the mildest of criticism from within then you’re going to have a real bad time come October/November

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Jesus Christ

One of the bartenders from my favorite bar was walking his dog, got jerked unexpectedly, slipped down an embankment and broke his neck. Paralyzed from the neck down.

Has a kid too.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 19, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Good god.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Holy poo poo that’s loving awful

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Intruder posted:

It's pretty funny because he was always fairly critical of dems but the culture has changed to the point where any mild criticism of Biden is treated as an endorsement of Trump by liberals

feels like it’s now the norm for any fandom

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Brutal, how old is he?

Friend of mine's dad took a header at home randomly and lost function in his right arm and has trouble walking (and is refusing to do his drat PT), but he's closing in on 70, so that's more expected. The idea of being relatively young and in shape and that happening is horrifying.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Late thirties.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

General Dog posted:

I'm fairly compensated; I'm not going to take money beyond that that I don't feel I earned.

Take the bonus and buy shares in the Green Bay Packers.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Intruder posted:

Look, im voting for Biden because I want to be stuffed into my rail car by a diverse collection of jackbooted thugs.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jesus Christ

One of the bartenders from my favorite bar was walking his dog, got jerked unexpectedly, slipped down an embankment and broke his neck. Paralyzed from the neck down.

Has a kid too.

Life is so loving cruel.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FizFashizzle posted:

Late thirties.

gently caress.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

FizFashizzle posted:

Jesus Christ

Has a kid too.

FizFashizzle posted:

Late thirties.

jesus. I can't even imagine

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

LeeMajors posted:

Look, im voting for Biden because I want to be stuffed into my rail car by a diverse collection of jackbooted thugs.
Yeah, girl boss Gestapo that get $5,000 of student loans forgiven if they serve for 5 years in underserved minority communities! They won't misgender me when they drag me off to a camp.

FizFashizzle posted:

Jesus Christ

Has a kid too.
Life is truly random and awful.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Lmao last week tonight last night.

Lmao I'm glad you posted about this so I flipped it on

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Just ordered a Kinesis Advantage360 Professional :buddy:
  • I am so gosh darn excited to do an ergonomic keyboard!
  • I'm trying to intentionally reframe my mindset of "my office equipment is good enough, so there's no need to spend money" to "it's actually cool and good to invest $ into things that promote good health". This is difficult because my instinct is frugal and my income is low.
  • Only downsides I found while researching is that it generally fits bigger hands better and that the bluetooth can be finnicky. I hope those issues don't pop up!

I got a Herman Miller Embody late last year during their sale. It's silly how night and day it is compared to the old used office chair I had been using before that.

Next, got too see if the mouse needs changing...

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Ornery and Hornery posted:

• I'm trying to intentionally reframe my mindset of "my office equipment is good enough, so there's no need to spend money" to "it's actually cool and good to invest $ into things that promote good health". This is difficult because my instinct is frugal and my income is low.
  • Only downsides I found while researching is that it generally fits bigger hands better and that the bluetooth can be finnicky. I hope those issues don't pop up!

I got a Herman Miller Embody late last year during their sale. It's silly how night and day it is compared to the old used office chair I had been using before that.

Dude, if you spend a lot of time in front of your computer (and is there anyone here who doesn't spend too much time in front a computer?), investing money in making it more comfortable and healthier is great!

My big recent purchase was a Victrola Revolution Go. It's a portable record player, and I've used it to play my grand total of two records (a peach smoke press of NOVA ONE's "lovable" and a blue press of boygenius' "the record") and it seems kind of silly, since I have Spotify (student discount rocks), but those records are loving gorgeous and there's something magical about watching them spin and the fact that the grooves in them are music.

Gonna have to buy more degenerate queer filth on vinyl in every color of the rainbow, I guess.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Dude, if you spend a lot of time in front of your computer (and is there anyone here who doesn't spend too much time in front a computer?), investing money in making it more comfortable and healthier is great!

I'll have you know I spend too much time on my phone, not my computer.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I always think about switching to an ergonomic keyboard, but I’m such a nonstandard typer that it just feels like an impossible switch.

Agreed on the Herman Miller though - first thing I bought when I made the full time switch to remote work and no regrets at all.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Happy President's Day, goons. I spent the weekend out in the wilds of Clovis, CA where there was no cell phone coverage.

Luckily for me I had a double quarter pounder with cheese that I forgot in my car for the a couple days, so at least I had something to eat when I was back in civilization.

The drive back was kinda rough. Heavy rain in northern CA that turned into light snow in the mountains.

At least it cleared up by the time I got to Oregon*.

*Narrator: It did not clear up."

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Welcome to Washington's Mexico.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
We nearly starved to death until I remembered the crockpot full of lobster bisque I leave in my car at all times for emergencies,

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Doesn't everyone keep emergency shrimp in their frunk?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nervous posted:

Welcome to Washington's Mexico.

*finger hovers over PROBATE button*

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1674718315468521472?t=W74C4fTd4zNuT0fEpzWHog&s=19

One of my favorite genres of tweet are when some techbro or company reinvents something that has been around forever. My absolute fave was the Uber VP who pitched Uber Routes, a large van that goes on a prescribed route, the heaviest used among Uber riders and will just stop at intersections, so you just go to that intersection and wait for the next one to pass by, and the fare is less because its shared and on a single route. The man invented the city bus and had no idea.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1674718315468521472?t=W74C4fTd4zNuT0fEpzWHog&s=19

One of my favorite genres of tweet are when some techbro or company reinvents something that has been around forever. My absolute fave was the Uber VP who pitched Uber Routes, a large van that goes on a prescribed route, the heaviest used among Uber riders and will just stop at intersections, so you just go to that intersection and wait for the next one to pass by, and the fare is less because its shared and on a single route. The man invented the city bus and had no idea.

This is also my favorite thing in the world, because as much as Dunning-Kruger effect is evoked too often, the entire tech disruptor sector is the living embodiment of this poo poo.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dune gonna be real good

https://twitter.com/DAYASCHANl/status/1759780401277489599?t=X__Z8ebawQRBqRhONJaH0Q&s=19

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

swickles posted:

This is the one of these where I'd just smile and nod and let them do that, and hope that we can cut bunker diesel out entirely, because holy poo poo it's nasty for the environment.

"but the U.S. requires cleaner fuel-" yes, in U.S. waters only, or in other maritime limits as relevant. But that's not most of the ocean, as those ships take cotton over to China to turn into the cheap T-shirts you buy back here.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Just watched it again the other day because my wife hadn't seen it yet, and goddamn does that movie just breeze through an almost 3 hour runtime. She doesn't like long movies *or* sci-fi, and she still loved it

My expectations for this one are unreal, but DV hasn't let me down yet.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

This is also my favorite thing in the world, because as much as Dunning-Kruger effect is evoked too often, the entire tech disruptor sector is the living embodiment of this poo poo.

Legit one of the reasons I got the hell out of IT.

Here's a framework. We'll call it Ligma. Ligma has been around for a decade and has been improved continuously. Now comes Deez, and Deez is exactly the same as Ligma, but instead of using % as an operator, it uses $. Suddenly Deez is in demand because Modified Date is more recent. THE FUTURE IS NOW. gently caress tech bros and their dumb poo poo.

But also 100% agree this is the best type of tweet...

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

swickles posted:

All this is making me think about is why we got rid of sails in the first place? We couldn't combine sailing and diesel power for cargo ships from the get go?

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

All this is making me think about is why we got rid of sails in the first place? We couldn't combine sailing and diesel power for cargo ships from the get go?

My guess is that the size of sails you’d need to move the mega container ships that haul our goods today would be problematic

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Would love to see the sails that can propel a modern cargo ship ^^^E: yeah that.

Bad uncle :eng101:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

T-Square posted:

My guess is that the size of sails you’d need to move the mega container ships that haul our goods today would be problematic

I meant we could've kept them as supplemental power. Yea powering an entire container ship with sails doesn't really work, but if you throw a sail on there and reduce energy usage by 10-20%, why wouldn't we want to do that? What's the downside to sticking a sail on a container ship?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I meant we could've kept them as supplemental power. Yea powering an entire container ship with sails doesn't really work, but if you throw a sail on there and reduce energy usage by 10-20%, why wouldn't we want to do that? What's the downside to sticking a sail on a container ship?

Probably the additional crew needed to run them.

Anyway,

https://twitter.com/CursedAni/status/1759721683009581167

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

swickles posted:

You neglect to mention that Uber Routes excludes poors and minorities, which is the real problem a lot of the tech bros have with public transit

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Shrimpy posted:

I always think about switching to an ergonomic keyboard, but I’m such a nonstandard typer that it just feels like an impossible switch.

Agreed on the Herman Miller though - first thing I bought when I made the full time switch to remote work and no regrets at all.

Yisss nice

I’ve got a sit/stand desk and a wireless razer basilisk mouse but no matter what I just can’t get that combo to feel comfy for my wrist

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Have you seen a loaded container ship? Where the hell are you gonna put them? How insanely tall are they going to have to be?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Have you seen a loaded container ship? Where the hell are you gonna put them? How insanely tall are they going to have to be?

The idea is kites that act as sails, so they would just need a point of attachment on the ship which thankfully there are plenty! The trick is that this type of system would rely heavily on wid patterns, and unlike traditional sails, it could not be tacked to allow for changes in direction.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

How about under water sails hooked up to chains?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

how about a bunch of drunk people peddling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Somewhere in a nondescript office building outside DC are plans drawn up in 1957 during an amphetamine, coke, and alcohol fueled bender (AKA an average Tuesday afternoon back then) by some military contractor for a container ship powered by the explosions of relatively small nuclear weapons.