Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
I'm just here to spread the good news about the big book of edible poisons :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol
https://members.wto.org/crnattachments/2018/SPS/JPN/18_4072_00_e.pdf

6 pages of produce they're planning to or already use cquat on

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

part of an interesting piece about citrus growers in Turkey and their situation wet climate annihilation
Impacts of the Climate Crisis on Citrus Fruits - From the World of Agriculture - Ali Ekber Yıldırım | FOOD, AGRICULTURE, AND LIVESTOCK PLATFORM

www.tarimdunyasi.net - Wed, 31 Jan 2024 posted:

The Enterdonat lemon is at risk of extinction

Özbek Özler, who produces and exports citrus fruits in Çukurova and apples in Niğde, mentioned that due to climate change, some products no longer yield efficiency, stating: "For example, we have a variety of lemon, Enterdonat. It might not be very important in terms of quality, but it's the earliest-fruiting variety. It's very valuable and important in terms of timing, filling a significant gap. It used to facilitate Turkey's early entry into many markets. Due to climate changes, over the last 10 years, none of our producers have been able to obtain yield from this variety. Producers who used to get 5-7 tons of yield are now happy if they get 3 tons. As the yield decreased, producers started to remove it. This variety is facing the risk of extinction.

Apart from that, we have a Satsuma mandarin variety in Mersin and Hatay Erzin. When I first started working, it was indispensable for Russia, England, and Europe during Christmas and New Year's. With autumn becoming warmer and winter shorter, the fruit's shelf life began to decrease. We are thankful if we can make it to the beginning of December, not to mention New Year's. One day, while harvesting in the garden, my father came and asked what we were doing. When I said we were cutting mandarins, he said, 'we used to cut these in February.' Mandarins that were cut in February are now being cut in December."

Different varieties should be tried

Özbek Özler mentioned they are working on different product varieties, including cherries, and described their efforts as follows: "Cherries don't grow on the plains in Adana and Mersin because they require a certain amount of chilling. We researched whether we could find a suitable variety because if we could grow it, it would be very early and could be marketed for a certain period. If successful, it will be a cherry variety suitable for our country's climate at that time, with very high added value, being the northern hemisphere's first cherry. Our research led us to discover such a variety in California, and we started efforts to bring it to Turkey and ensure its adaptation. We planted it in Adana. We brought in 14 varieties of cherries. After five to seven years of trials, 12 were unsuccessful, but two succeeded. Two varieties were identified, and their planting is underway. Let me explain its value to you this way; one of Germany's largest supermarket chains made a direct financial contribution of 1.8 million Euros to the producers and offered a 10-year purchase guarantee, agreeing to buy it for 3.5 Euros per kilo on the branch."

The greatest danger is sudden weather changes

Özbek Özler, mentioning that sudden weather changes are the biggest problem in fruit cultivation, illustrated with examples: "Farmers also face problems besides varieties. Due to climate change, there is drought in Central Anatolia. In Çukurova, we encounter unprecedented pests and diseases due to temperature and rainfall. If the rain lasts too long at certain times, it prevents harvesting. It's January 27; we were able to harvest for 10 days, and for 15 days, we could only look at the fruit and couldn't harvest because of the rain.

Due to the heat, fruits' resistance decreases, shelf life shortens, and they soften. It used to be cold in December, January, February, but now the cold comes in March. The tree is most vulnerable and weak during this period, and then it gets damaged by the cold. In 2022, the cold in March due to frost halved the yield. When early heat in spring made temperatures rise from 23-24 degrees to 38-39 degrees in May, there were flower and fruit falls, and again, the yield suffered. We are exposed to such difficulties.

How does this affect exports? As I initially explained, the loss of some varieties, entering the market, extending the season, and scheduling with markets seriously challenge us. When the season shortens, and there's significant production in Turkey, you need to sell it in a shorter time. Harvesting quickly, packaging, reaching the market, transportation, and getting buyers ready is not easy. Trying to sell in 45 days what you usually sell in 90 days requires a very different strategy. The absence of products that are resistant to long journeys. Due to climate change and the shifts in the season, our competitors were Spain, Egypt, Morocco, and suddenly, our competitors became South Africa, Argentina. Because the changes in the climate made the productions of the two hemispheres overlap."

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

how’s pakistan after those brutal floods from a couple years back? still hosed i imagine?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
It hasn't been on the news, so it must be fine :)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

‘Like the flip of a switch, it’s gone’: has the ecosystem of the UK’s largest lake collapsed?

quote:

Declan Coney, a former eel fisher, knew there was something wrong when the famed swarms of Lough Neagh flies failed to materialise. In past years, they would appear around the Northern Irish lake in thick plumes and “wisps” – sometimes prompting mistaken alarm of a fire incident, Lough Shore residents say.

Clothes left out on a washing line “would be covered in them”, Coney says. So would any windshield on a vehicle travelling around the lough’s 90-mile shoreline. Conservationists marvelled at their courtship dances, hovering above treetops.

Last spring the flies never arrived. “This is the first year ever that, if you walked up to the Cross of Ardboe or the area around there, you’d find there’s no flies,” Coney says.

The flies were long considered a nuisance. Now, however, alarm is growing. “People have really been scared,” he says, by the rate of accelerated change to the lough’s ecology that their absence signals. “It’s just happened. Like the flip of a switch, it’s gone.”

“Lough Neagh fly” can refer to various non-biting midges, but these crucial insects support fish and wildfowl that are endemic to the lough system, as well as frogs and predatory insects. The loss of these keystone species, alongside sharp reductions of others, the spread of invasive species like zebra mussels, and a long-term deterioration in water quality, indicates deep trouble across the lough’s entire ecology. It also raises the prospect that this shallow body of water and its surrounding wetlands may have shifted beyond a state of decline into cascading ecosystem collapse.

Lough Neagh – the largest freshwater lake in the UK – supplies more than 40% of Northern Ireland’s drinking water, and hosts the largest wild eel fishery in Europe. It is considered a cultural and archaeological “jewel” that reaches “way back” into the very beginning of shared memory on the island.

Last summer, a vast “bloom” of blue-green algae – a thick, photosynthesising blanket that deprives the lake of oxygen, choking aquatic life – brought the lough’s accelerating biodiversity crisis into sharp focus. It prompted considerable public outcry and is expected to return in “more severe” form this coming summer.

The toxic algal growth – described by local people as appearing like something otherworldly due to its brilliant green or blue appearance – has since disappeared from the surface of the lough, but remains visibly suspended just underneath.

Breen pauses to take stock of the losses he has witnessed since he began work here as a wildlife ranger in 1986.

“In the winter, we did an annual wildfowl count – a colleague and I did this particular section,” he says, gesturing towards an area of several square kilometres between Coney Island and Kells Point.

“We got about 50,000-60,000 diving ducks. So many that people – our bosses, I mean – came out of Belfast to take a look for themselves, since they didn’t believe us at first.”

These fleets of pochard, scaup and goldeneye made Lough Neagh an internationally significant site for overwintering birds in the 1980s. In the years since, their numbers have plummeted. A 2013 study found that the number of these winter migratory birds at the lough had dropped nearly 80% in a decade – from 100,000 to fewer than 21,000.

“I remember lying in bed and hearing these swans calling out to each other, up and down the lough, having this magnificent conversation at all hours of the night. That’s all gone.”

“This whole lough could be an income generator that keeps all of our young people from emigrating to the cities and emigrating out of the country. We could have a really good life around this lough, while supporting the rest of the ecology.”

But Breen, who has also worked in government, is less optimistic.

“They’re hoping this will blow over, now the algae’s disappeared from sight”, he says of decision-makers and government, “and that it’ll be back to business as usual.”
it’s fine

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

The area is completely surrounded by farmland, so most likely all the runoff has ultra poisoned the lake for a long time.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I've just seen my first butterfly of the season....

In February

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
The Butterfly a-hosed

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

as usual the British think too small. Meanwhile we in the colonies have nearly mastered the art of environmental chromomancy

Lake Winnipeg: 24,000 km^2
Lough Neagh: 392 km^2

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Winnipeg had climate change on loving easy mode and threw it away

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

AceClown posted:

I've just seen my first butterfly of the season....

In February

sounds like a lovely silver lining for what isn’t that bad yet. enjoy

kater
Nov 16, 2010

man I like conceptually do not know what a big lake looks like. 90 miles of shoreline sounds absurd but that’s apparently pretty small compared to big lakes. I guess I don’t know what a pretty small lake looks like either. just teensy weeny ones

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

kater posted:

man I like conceptually do not know what a big lake looks like. 90 miles of shoreline sounds absurd but that’s apparently pretty small compared to big lakes. I guess I don’t know what a pretty small lake looks like either. just teensy weeny ones

There's this weird thing about shore length where you can get a good estimate of how long it will take to get around or an accurate estimate of all the wiggles and those two numbers have almost nothing to do with one another

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Microplastics posted:

The Butterfly a-hosed

the better-fly away

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

lmao

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Karach posted:

as usual the British think too small. Meanwhile we in the colonies have nearly mastered the art of environmental chromomancy

Lake Winnipeg: 24,000 km^2
Lough Neagh: 392 km^2

ok, so can we genetically modify these things to not produce toxins and then turn them into a food source???

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

Another example is the agency’s struggle to curb Roundup, a weed killer that has proved extremely dangerous to humans. Roundup contains glyphosate, which the World Health Organization has described as “probably carcinogenic.” In 2022, the CDC found that 80 percent of urine samples taken from U.S. adults and kids had traces of glyphosate in them. A follow-up by CDC and National Institutes of Health scientists found that people with glyphosate in their urine also have cancer biomarkers in their urine. 

I like how thought leaders have absolutely no context for how widely these chemicals are actually used. There is no "struggle" to ban glyphosate in the US and Canada, other than what takes place in the minds of urban libs (setting aside mommy blogs and poorly funded environmental groups). Industrial agriculture as we know it simply does not function without pesticides, full stop. We absolutely could do industrial-scale organic agriculture and feed everybody comfortably while preserving the soil forever: the tools and techniques exist already. But we don't, and we won't. Instead we allow things like Bayer's $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto, further cementing industry's power over life and death.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

does anyone have the full resolution bdell image? I only have the one with teeth

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Karach posted:

I like how thought leaders have absolutely no context for how widely these chemicals are actually used. There is no "struggle" to ban glyphosate in the US and Canada, other than what takes place in the minds of urban libs (setting aside mommy blogs and poorly funded environmental groups). Industrial agriculture as we know it simply does not function without pesticides, full stop. We absolutely could do industrial-scale organic agriculture and feed everybody comfortably while preserving the soil forever: the tools and techniques exist already. But we don't, and we won't. Instead we allow things like Bayer's $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto, further cementing industry's power over life and death.

nature already invented pesticide! It's called caffeine! We just need to start eating tea as a staple crop

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Ruggan posted:

ok, so can we genetically modify these things to not produce toxins and then turn them into a food source???

what if we harvested it for fertilizer, to be used on farmland that ultimately drains nutrient-rich water into the lake, which caused the eutrophication that gave rise to the toxic algae bloom in the first place?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

does anyone have the full resolution bdell image? I only have the one with teeth

looks fine to me

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ruggan posted:

can we somehow refine the toxin and market it as a new type of green project? Hit it from all angles? This is generating carbon credits.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Years ago (c. 2009) I watched a lecture on Codex Alimentarius that would seem to be relevant today, talking about all the then-upcoming changes in pesticides/agriculture. It was given by a guy who worked for Schlumberger but of course I'm having trouble finding it now

Does anyone have or read the book Seeds of Destruction?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Karach posted:

Instead we allow things like Bayer's $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto, further cementing industry's power over life and death.

which one is which

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

kater posted:

which one is which

yes

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

looks fine to me

It is perfect, but sometimes it is inappropriate for man to look upon the face of god

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Karach posted:

Instead we allow things like Bayer's $66 billion acquisition of Monsanto, further cementing industry's power over life and death.

I didn't allow it, you allowed it! :mad:

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Someone left the glue bottle out and Bayer rolled in it

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

uh this is pretty hosed up

https://www.inquirer.com/news/pennsylvania/inq2/pfas-artificial-turf-cancer-athletes-pennsylvania-nj-20240220.html

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

nature already invented pesticide! It's called caffeine! We just need to start eating tea as a staple crop

you're thinking too small, cocaine and thc are also pesticides, let's grow much more of those instead

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

quote:

He’d known for a while that the turf has “like 90 carcinogens,” so he had instructed Schyler to play in long sleeves and pants. Sometimes she forgot, and wore shorts.

Schyler promised her father that when she got well, she would play in Kevlar, and cover herself from neck to foot.

what

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Of course

what a hosed up story

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The number of things that should be obvious are countless

of course plastic turf full of shredded road tires is a bad idea. not just environmentally, but for the players.

...been seeing a lot more rash guards in the nfl the last 5 years or so

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

quote:

The National Football League players union, citing concerns about PFAS and player injuries, urged the NFL to replace turf at 14 stadiums with natural grass. And a March 2023 Inquirer investigation, Field of Dread, found 16 different types of PFAS in turf that was used at Veterans Stadium in the 1970s and 1980s.

Six former Philadelphia Phillies, each of whom had spent parts of their careers playing on the Vet’s turf, died from glioblastoma, at a rate three times higher than the U.S. average. (The Phillies have said the team consulted brain cancer experts, who told the organization that there was no evidence of a link between turf and the disease.)

wtf

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
"honey I'm taking the kids to the park. Where are the organic vapour respirators and Tyvek suits?"

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

I'm at the track made out of cancer
I'm at the Superfund site remediated as a school sports field
I'm at the combination track made out of cancer Superfund site remediated as a school sports field

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Maed posted:

you're thinking too small, cocaine and thc are also pesticides, let's grow much more of those instead

GMOs can unite all three in one.

Is the chemical in quat a pesticide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

GMOs can unite all three in one.

Is the chemical in quat a pesticide?

Quat goals