Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

metachronos posted:

How many episodes in part 2? That looks like a lot of stuff to cover.

Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP

wack

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
They don't have to necessarily resolve any of it since S3 is signed up, but there were only a few major plot points going on in the trailer. Martian parasite stuff, PortalBro and Omniman being held by the other Viltrumites. Could probably knock each of those out in an hour episode, though I assume we'll be cutting around between them all at the same time.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Did this season split just kill anyone else's interest in the show? I'm exaggerating a LITTLE but I'm so annoyed by this. Even a broadcast TV show back in the old days wouldn't have slow-dripped out episodes this way

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Stayne Falls posted:

Did this season split just kill anyone else's interest in the show? I'm exaggerating a LITTLE but I'm so annoyed by this. Even a broadcast TV show back in the old days wouldn't have slow-dripped out episodes this way

lol, midseason breaks have been a thing for quite a while

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wouldn't say it killed my interest in the show, but it certainly does feel like the roller coaster I was on suddenly had to stop in traffic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

Sure, but I can't think of an example, ever, that aired four episodes, waited four months, then aired another four episodes, and then stopped for another six months to a year maybe. Hence OP pointing out that this is unusual even by those standards.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

At least in traditional US drama broadcasting, you’d get like 8-15 eps on each side of such a break. Mid-season breaks and 8 episode seasons aren’t a good combination.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Stayne Falls posted:

I can relate to this. Invincible is still one of my favorite shows on air right now, but the two and a half year gap between seasons on top of the long half season break is doing the opposite of building momentum right now. We're waiting 3 years for 8 episodes of new content.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Sure, but I can't think of an example, ever, that aired four episodes, waited four months, then aired another four episodes, and then stopped for another six months to a year maybe. Hence OP pointing out that this is unusual even by those standards.

Castlevania? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stone Ocean?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Castlevania? Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stone Ocean?

I don't watch much anime so I can't comment on Jojo, but Castlevania did full season drops -- I thought it was implicit to the discussion that we were talking about seasons being broken up into small pieces separated by month long gaps (so comparable to the dominant US linear television release schedules of the last few decades, as per Stayne's post) rather than different, full, seasons being binge dropped with large periods of time between them.

The release of Invincible's second season is basically the former, not the latter.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 16, 2024

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Let me tell you some horror stories about British TV.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
And if we were talking about UK television you'd have a point.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Seems like episode counts have been trending down for a while now, but they were pretty high for a long time. The days of prestige / big production shows like The X-Files getting 24 hour-long episodes a season are pretty much over, the only shows I still see hitting those numbers are filmed on set sitcoms or super formulaic CSI: Your Town type shows. Ideally this reduction in quantity comes with an increase in quality, but :shrug:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just be glad it's not like Babylon 5...

Season 2 Episode 1 premiered November 2nd 1994. Season 2 Episode 22 premiered November 1, 1995. 364 days to air the season.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

I don't watch much anime so I can't comment on Jojo, but Castlevania did full season drops -- I thought it was implicit to the discussion that we were talking about seasons being broken up into small pieces separated by month long gaps (so comparable to the dominant US linear television release schedules of the last few decades, as per Stayne's post) rather than different, full, seasons being binge dropped with large periods of time between them.

The release of Invincible's second season is basically the former, not the latter.

Latest Castlevania is broken up into two sub seasons. But it still doesn't refute too much since each sub season is 8 episodes.

The Tick broke its season into 2 separate 6 episode stretches and ended up getting cancelled because no one cared enough about the back half. Disenchantment had its seasons chopped up and dripfed in chunks, killing the momentum the story was building.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Such as it was

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I assumed this season's release schedule was more Amazon struggling to plug holes in their live content release schedule than a deliberate choice. Like, the episodes were already written when the strike broke out but stuck in animation so they prioritized getting the first four out the door.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The release schedule is dumb, but it really feels like they brought back Mark's dad waaaaaaay too soon. Ultimately it was like, what, five episodes between him slaughtering people on the subway and then him being back with a "I gently caress bugs now Mark. I'm a changed man."

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Latest Castlevania is broken up into two sub seasons. But it still doesn't refute too much since each sub season is 8 episodes.

The Tick broke its season into 2 separate 6 episode stretches and ended up getting cancelled because no one cared enough about the back half. Disenchantment had its seasons chopped up and dripfed in chunks, killing the momentum the story was building.

Disenchantment died for far bigger reasons than "momentum."

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CatstropheWaitress posted:

The release schedule is dumb, but it really feels like they brought back Mark's dad waaaaaaay too soon. Ultimately it was like, what, five episodes between him slaughtering people on the subway and then him being back with a "I gently caress bugs now Mark. I'm a changed man."

I'm just a filthy show watcher, no book reading here, but I dunno if the show could have survived the combination of such a significant break between seasons and the disappearance of its main narrative conflict.

The relationship between Mark and Omniman, it's basically what powered the entire first season of the show and it's clearly what defines the show in popular discourse (most obviously the "think, Mark think" memes). That Omniman wasn't positioned prominently in the second season from jump -- and I think there's a good argument to make that he wasn't -- essentially makes the second season feel confusing and frivolous.

It'd be like the second season of Westworld not having the park turn up for half the season, or the second season of Doctor Who follow the companions without the iconic Doctor / TARDIS elements. You can make pretty much any show work without those central iconographic elements, sure, and there have been rare examples of shows that have, but for a lot of people that's not actually "the show" at all. You're essentially asking a lot of your audience, and a show with three year interregnums is already asking a lot of audiences.

IMO a more effective version of the show probably would have alternated between a storyline set on Earth and a storyline set on Planet Bug.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 18, 2024

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CatstropheWaitress posted:

From what I understand, his return in the comics is about as quick, too.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

That's what I was wondering. It's been years since I read Invincible but it felt like there was a lot of time (like, years of subplots) between Omni-Man leaving and Invincible finding him on the bug planet.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Gather round, gather round.. let me tell you a story of a small show called. The Venture Brothers.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hughlander posted:

Just be glad it's not like Babylon 5...

Season 2 Episode 1 premiered November 2nd 1994. Season 2 Episode 22 premiered November 1, 1995. 364 days to air the season.

That's still averaging an episode every 16.54 days. Invincible Season 2 is going to average an episode every 19.25

PicklePants posted:

Gather round, gather round.. let me tell you a story of a small show called. The Venture Brothers.

There's a reason no one talks about Venture Bros despite it being the origin point for the structure of modern day continuity-conscious adult animation

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 18, 2024

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ironslave posted:

Disenchantment died for far bigger reasons than "momentum."

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm a Venture Bros fan. All shows release quickly.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
The inevitable release becomes the stuff of legends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

There was about 18-24 months of smaller arcs between Mark fighting his father (which I want to say was issue 8) and Mark traveling to Thraxa (which I think was #31 but I can’t be sure). The books are at the bottom of a pile right now or I'd check.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

M_Gargantua posted:

Amazon put out the S2 Part 2 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5OY-vXYzeE

Returning March 14th

At about 30 seconds a new (?) character is wearing the exact same outfit that Mark rejected in the first episode; the Tailor guy had it laying around that he was trying to pawn it off on Mark, initially.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DoubleCakes posted:

That's what I was wondering. It's been years since I read Invincible but it felt like there was a lot of time (like, years of subplots) between Omni-Man leaving and Invincible finding him on the bug planet.

I just read the full run again last week. It's about 20 issues and nothing that important happens. Nothing I'd call a serious plotline.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Adder Moray posted:

That's still averaging an episode every 16.54 days. Invincible Season 2 is going to average an episode every 19.25

There's a reason no one talks about Venture Bros despite it being the origin point for the structure of modern day continuity-conscious adult animation

I see a lot of people talk about Venture Bros. It still remains a pretty high bar. A bit less now that all of the mysteries have been revealed/uncovered and the series is over, but still quite a bit!

Honestly, I'd prefer something that comes out a bit slower, and keeps a higher quality all the way through, then something that's incredibly consistent, but you can see it start to decline of writing and animation as it goes on.

Disenchantment was just kind of bad from the start. It didn't have the same charm or quality that Futurama did (at least.. at the start, not going to comment on Hulu or Comedy Central, but even those had some decent if not good episodes.)

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Disenchantment is bewildering in how bad it is. Show looks better than anything ever done in that style, has a great cast, and the setup sounds like a blast. And then it spends four seasons walking into rakes as it can't decide what it wants to be - and finishes without ever deciding. It just comes across as a show made w/o love in a lot of ways. It doesn't feel like anyone plotting it out could be assed to track it's own lore or had a great plan for where things were going.

Basically the anti-Venture Bros, which comes across like the only child of overly doteful parents.

I'm just a filthy show watcher, no book reading here, but I dunno if the show could have survived the combination of such a significant break between seasons and the disappearance of its main narrative conflict.

Not wrong, but still, woulda been fun to see them try. The world certainly has enough villains and other heroes to sustain some stories for a longer break. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much characters the generic baddies are in this series, honestly wouldn't mind more time with them.

Thinking of S4 of the aforementioned Venture Bros. that takes their breakout star Brock Samson and fridge him for half a season. Or Twin Peaks: The Return that fridges their hero for waaaaay longer than you'd expect. Takes guts, can work out to great effect. To your point though, both those shows had much more established 'norms' they were shattering, which I concede helps.

quote:

IMO a more effective version of the show probably would have alternated between a storyline set on Earth and a storyline set on Planet Bug.

This I agree with tho. Could have Noland's Adventures Developing a Conscious In Space as a stinger for every ep if you really need him in there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DrBouvenstein posted:

At about 30 seconds a new (?) character is wearing the exact same outfit that Mark rejected in the first episode; the Tailor guy had it laying around that he was trying to pawn it off on Mark, initially.

Bulletproof? He's introduced in like episode one of season two.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nuebot posted:

Bulletproof? He's introduced in like episode one of season two.

Anything that wasn't Bug Planet has whooshed out of my memory.

Plus, I re-watched episode 1 like the day before I watched the Season 2 Pt 2 Trailer so the costume Mark rejected was fresh in my mind.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I thought the episode came out today, but it's up on Prime since yesterday?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Came out at midnight PST

https://x.com/screentime/status/1768003166388338844

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

poo poo, that snuck up on me. I know what I'm doing after work today!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

"Wait a second. What happened to the real astronaut?" lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
This show has a really bizarre tendency to begin a new plot thread, then put it down for like 5 episodes before picking it back up again. It's overall fine but it makes things kind of hard to keep track of or even care about.