Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ToxicFrog posted:

By "candy coloured pixels" do you mean the OG duke palette:

or something else? Because if it's the former Foone's death screen generator has you covered.

Yup, checks out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nature made me a freak... between the sheets.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

the hint is in the lower right

I'm blind and also stupid, you got me

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if i was falling to my death after being defeated by the hero of the film, i would at least use the gun in my hand to pop off a few futiles shots. modern audiences demand this insane comitment to senseless destruction.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Hey they had one commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGCFEoYmgL4

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Seems like they're getting into viral marketing though

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6xpSrrAaXg

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Err.... missed a page.

Cognitive Behavioral Morbing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Never heard of them. Maybe a little more advertising wouldn't hurt.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Once I morbed so hard I morbed out the drat window. That was not cognitive behavior.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lobok posted:

Never heard of them. Maybe a little more advertising wouldn't hurt.

They're an irresistible and ubiquitous tool of Big Waiting Room

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

cult_hero posted:

It's already been litigated that the X-men are mutants, not humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toy_Biz,_Inc._v._United_States

lmfao. Court went full magneto

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

What, no link to the song / video?

https://youtu.be/8HqLysSnnlQ?si=4E-NfoljAFYnJIng

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

That's a blast from the past; I remember playing AD&D2 back in the day with a GM who had a very "let's just gently caress around randomly" attitude and at one point he gave the party a DOMT to see what would happen. Unsurprisingly, it ended badly for everyone involved.

Out of curiosity, I grabbed a deck of cards to see what happens to the bard, and got "gain 50 random gems, gain 50k XP and a random beneficial magical item, charisma set to 18 if less and get a small keep of your very own, and then lose all your poo poo and get magically imprisoned somewhere else".

I like to think that from the point of the view of the rest of the party, this looks like the bard drawing five cards and then exploding in a shower of treasure.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

I love that people post memes like this as if it's a relatable and unavoidable part of the RPG experience when basically every system except the only one they make memes about figured out a way to stop it from happening.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't play RPGs, how do they stop it?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

they use dice that are all 20s

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

hawowanlawow posted:

they use dice that are all 20s

Ah yes, I rolled another unnatural 20

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Whybird posted:

I love that people post memes like this as if it's a relatable and unavoidable part of the RPG experience when basically every system except the only one they make memes about figured out a way to stop it from happening.

Nah, you can't really blame that on D&D. The problem is more that a lot of people/groups have more fun when they succeed on a roll. Failure should be just as much fun as success, but that requires a different mindset from both the players and DM. Getting caught by the guards because you failed a skill check isn't a bad thing. It's part of the story and an opportunity for a cool and fun chase scene or interesting combat or whatever else you can come up with.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Quick someone post the meme about the system where outcomes like that are unrelatable and avoidable

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Milo and POTUS posted:

So firstly D&D uses D20's which are insanely swingy dice compared to a dice pool(giving you less extreme, more reliable results, clustered near the middle of the potential results in a bell curve) or just, simply, smaller dice, which can vary less.

Secondly, many(if not most) modern non-D&D systems have some sort of metacurrency(fate points, fabula points, edge, whatever) that you can spend for a reroll, a guaranteed success, some sort of bonus, etc. Hell, even Baldur's Gate 3, the first big-name D&D game in a long time, implemented this with its inspiration mechanic allowing you to buy rerolls. But from the first to the latest edition, by-the-books D&D has nothing like this.

But also as Taeke said it's also a lot down to the GM. A good GM can make a failure exciting or interesting, and a good GM does not call for a roll when the result is just "nothing happens" or "nothing interesting happens." You call for a roll when there's some sort of dramatic tension or the story might go down a different path if the roll fails vs when it succeeds. A bad GM just says "you miss" when you flub your roll to hit the bad guy, a good GM narrates how your swing or shot goes wide, does a bunch of damage to the decor, maybe forces your opponent to fall back not to get hit, gives a feeling that you still did something, rather than simply sitting out the round.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I have made a magic item to oppose the Deck of Many Things.

I call it the Deck of One Thing (and that thing is Fireball cast at your face)

It looks exactly like the Deck of Many Things and only by identifying it and passing an arcana check will you be able to tell the difference

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

PurpleXVI posted:

But also as Taeke said it's also a lot down to the GM. A good GM can make a failure exciting or interesting, and a good GM does not call for a roll when the result is just "nothing happens" or "nothing interesting happens." You call for a roll when there's some sort of dramatic tension or the story might go down a different path if the roll fails vs when it succeeds. A bad GM just says "you miss" when you flub your roll to hit the bad guy, a good GM narrates how your swing or shot goes wide, does a bunch of damage to the decor, maybe forces your opponent to fall back not to get hit, gives a feeling that you still did something, rather than simply sitting out the round.

I really really hated dice roll based rpgs until I played Disco Elysium and failed rolls made my organs fold in on themselves cringing

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

PurpleXVI posted:

Secondly, many(if not most) modern non-D&D systems have some sort of metacurrency(fate points, fabula points, edge, whatever) that you can spend for a reroll, a guaranteed success, some sort of bonus, etc. Hell, even Baldur's Gate 3, the first big-name D&D game in a long time, implemented this with its inspiration mechanic allowing you to buy rerolls. But from the first to the latest edition, by-the-books D&D has nothing like this.
The Inspiration mechanic was not invented by the team that made BG3. It's directly pulled from the default mechanic of the same name in fifth edition.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

FFT posted:

The Inspiration mechanic was not invented by the team that made BG3. It's directly pulled from the default mechanic of the same name in fifth edition.

I was about to say

Although i think in bg3 you can stockpile it

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I interpreted PurpleXVI as meaning the "buy reroll" part of inspiration being what BG3 added, rather than the concept itself.

In non-BG3-D&D, inspiration gives you advantage, which is certainly one more roll, but not nearly as powerful impactful as getting to reroll after the fact.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

But also as Taeke said it's also a lot down to the GM. A good GM can make a failure exciting or interesting, and a good GM does not call for a roll when the result is just "nothing happens" or "nothing interesting happens."

You can't actually do this all the time.

If the players are inspecting a room that I know has nothing in it, and I just handwave it "there's nothing here", then the players will eventually be conditioned to know that only rooms they inspect that have things of interest in them are the ones I'm going to ask for rolls for. Which is a meta knowledge that that is going to effect their perception of the game no matter what.

This reduces the tension in investigating things, or trying to suss out what's going on. So there are some rolls I always treat as ones that have consequences for failure, even if they don't. The alternative is worse. Of course this also works for just skipping all investigating type rolls as well. If there is no opportunity to fail to find some extra info or whatever, it reduces the tension.

Of course the other way to do it is to roll for the party. Which for some games I do. Depending on the skill anyway, things like investigation or stealth or perception are the ones I do it if I do it all. But when I do it that way, I'm also just making fake rolls to myself all the time so they don't know there's something that needs rolling.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Phosphine posted:

I interpreted PurpleXVI as meaning the "buy reroll" part of inspiration being what BG3 added, rather than the concept itself.

In non-BG3-D&D, inspiration gives you advantage, which is certainly one more roll, but not nearly as powerful impactful as getting to reroll after the fact.

As a DM, I allow Inspiration to be used as a reroll after the fact. House rules are the best rules!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
If a roll goes against my cool story that you so rudely interrupted with your inititive, well opposite day just started suck it luserz *gollum takes off on the updrafts with his loincloth wingsuit*

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If a GM is being a jerk making me roll for stuff then I'm gonna do a Dex roll before I use their bathroom and I am not spec'd for range attacks.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

ew gross

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

You can't actually do this all the time.

If the players are inspecting a room that I know has nothing in it, and I just handwave it "there's nothing here", then the players will eventually be conditioned to know that only rooms they inspect that have things of interest in them are the ones I'm going to ask for rolls for. Which is a meta knowledge that that is going to effect their perception of the game no matter what.

This reduces the tension in investigating things, or trying to suss out what's going on.

You can absolutely do this all the time, there are systems built around it. They tend to force you to sacrifice the sense that the players are unravelling a mystery that the GM pre-wrote -- instead, the players and the GM discover the mystery together. So if you're trying to do a real-life murder mystery solver then sure, but if you're after an immersive, character-driven roleplaying experience then it's absolutely possible.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

wizard mastered again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
It's also possible to have less binary win/lose rolls. For instance, the players enter the scene of the murder and poke around looking for the murder weapon. The roll is not whether they find it or not, it's how soon they find it and what happens while they find it.

There may be a timer in the back determining when John Murderman kills his next victim, if they spend a lot of time poking around unsuccessfully, he might get to kill more things. Or perhaps the roll is not whether they find the murder weapon, but whether they also spot the rigged shotgun trap set near it or one of them gets a leg full of buckshot. Or perhaps they find the weapon, but a bad roll means one of them clumsily erases some bloody footprints along the way they could have served as additional clues.