Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

haddedam posted:

Hello,
I'm semi-new to espresso and have been messing for a few years with a Sage dosecontrol grinder and had a ECM685 or whatever the famous Delonghi entry level one is. Managed to break it when my modded steam wand hose popped off and soaked the machine and I upgraded to a Lelit Victoria demo model from a local shop, to which I added a new Vibratory Pump pressure valve to get it to 10PSI as the old one was stuck thanks to limescale.
New machine is complete night and day and I'm finally able to make coffee taste delicious, now the grinder is holding me back with it's insane inconsistency but that's a future me problem.

My question is maintenance wise: I run the lelit filter and I use prefiltered water from my fridge as well to deal with limescale. According to manual this is fine. But I never got an blind basket and I've only cleaned the outside of the grouphead after every use.
Manual does not say anything about using a blind basket and backflushing. Is that something that needs to be done and is there any kind of detergent involved as well?

Yeah, get a blind basket and some Cafiza. The Victoria manual has backflush instructions on page 23. https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91AuJAm1rIS.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

Bandire posted:

Yeah, get a blind basket and some Cafiza. The Victoria manual has backflush instructions on page 23. https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91AuJAm1rIS.pdf

Jan posted:

I do not have that particular model, but at a glance, the specs say it has a three-way valve, which is where you would want to backflush:

Ah thanks, mine also didn't come with a manual and the first manual I found must've been an incomplete one. I've ordered the blind filter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm waiting for an espresso at a cheap cafe right now and the guy just tapped the basket empty on the inside of the general garbage can. Sweet

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:barf:

Gunder
May 22, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'm waiting for an espresso at a cheap cafe right now and the guy just tapped the basket empty on the inside of the general garbage can. Sweet

The local coffee shop down the street from here does the same thing. I would at least understand if it was a just a big trash can filled with nothing but coffee pucks. I wonder if the basket ever falls out into the bin.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Gunder posted:

The local coffee shop down the street from here does the same thing. I would at least understand if it was a just a big trash can filled with nothing but coffee pucks. I wonder if the basket ever falls out into the bin.

So he ended up actually making an americano which explains I guess why he asked if I 'wanted anything in it' when I ordered an espresso. He remade it (another trip to the garbage can) and it wasn't bad wasn't great. I drank it.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

try to stay close to a toilet for the next day or so, just to be sure

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I'm sure the hot water sterilized the garbage particles that made it into the cup. Probably.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

So he ended up actually making an americano which explains I guess why he asked if I 'wanted anything in it' when I ordered an espresso. He remade it (another trip to the garbage can) and it wasn't bad wasn't great. I drank it.
I wouldn't have bothered asking for a refund but that coffee would have gone straight in the trash and I'd find somewhere else to get my fix. I won't even order a straight espresso from a shop if I don't see dosing by weight and a pour-over menu (with the exception of an obviously old-school Italian joint), but maybe you just have to pay for a lot of bad shots before you figure out what the warning signs are.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

On the entirely opposite end of the spectrum, I had a shot on Sunday that is in my top 3 of all time. Was being a tourist near the La Brea Tar Pits and my wife had this on her list of places to try. Sour fruit bomb, just the way I like it!

I didn't buy a bag, because I'm a goddamn moron, but looks like they ship so I'm not SOL.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bizwank posted:

I wouldn't have bothered asking for a refund but that coffee would have gone straight in the trash and I'd find somewhere else to get my fix. I won't even order a straight espresso from a shop if I don't see dosing by weight and a pour-over menu (with the exception of an obviously old-school Italian joint), but maybe you just have to pay for a lot of bad shots before you figure out what the warning signs are.
Seems weird to care about having a pourover menu when you’re ordering espresso

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if you walk into a new coffee shop it's an indicator that they care about making good coffee instead of just churning out caffeinated milkshakes

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Clark Nova posted:

if you walk into a new coffee shop it's an indicator that they care about making good coffee instead of just churning out caffeinated milkshakes

or vaguely understand the difference between Mr. Coffee pots and a v60.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I've definitely tried searching for "pourover" to find good coffee before. I live in an area with a big Asian population, and it's a challenge finding actual quality coffee shops around here. Most places that pop up on a Yelp or Google search for coffee are actually just boba tea shops, and while many of them offer espresso/milk drinks, it's usually a mediocre shot smothered in too much milk and foam—whereas a place that offers pourovers is a lot more likely to know what they're doing.

We actually do have a good number of quality roasters in the broader area, but it's real slim pickings for anything under a 20-minute drive, while I literally have about two dozen choices for boba within a three-mile radius

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

404notfound posted:

I've definitely tried searching for "pourover" to find good coffee before. I live in an area with a big Asian population, and it's a challenge finding actual quality coffee shops around here. Most places that pop up on a Yelp or Google search for coffee are actually just boba tea shops, and while many of them offer espresso/milk drinks, it's usually a mediocre shot smothered in too much milk and foam—whereas a place that offers pourovers is a lot more likely to know what they're doing.

We actually do have a good number of quality roasters in the broader area, but it's real slim pickings for anything under a 20-minute drive, while I literally have about two dozen choices for boba within a three-mile radius

It's like me trying to find a lumber mill.

HAHA JUST KIDDING, ITS ANOTHER CABINETRY SHOP

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I stopped into Sump coffee roasters in St. Louis over the weekend and had a tasty Goji Gesha pourover. I try to hit up a nice coffee roaster or two whenever I visit a big city, but none of them can match my local spots bean selection, Hyperion, especially pricing-wise.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Like everyone else said, having other specialty/"third wave" coffee offerings is often a sign that they're taking care in creating the beverages they're serving, not just churning out product mostly via muscle memory. You can't always see the baristas at work before ordering so taking other clues from the environment can come in handy when trying to suss out a new place. Big rack or syrups, no short (8oz) size option, huge menu of frozen drinks trying to replicate Starbuck's offerings, etc. All potential red flags.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Vegetable posted:

FWIW pour over on the menu is also my main barometer for if the espresso is worth it.

I also look for actually listing the origin/tasting notes of the espresso bean, or offering multiple bean options for espresso.

Speaking of which, if you’re ever in manhattan near union sqaure, go to Devoción. They had a speciality espresso option (was $8 for a double) but drat if it wasn’t the best espresso shot I’ve ever had. Bonus points for the barista who saw the timing on the first shot, dumped it, adjusted the grinder, and made sure it tasted right before serving it to me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

These days you can look up most coffee shops on Instagram and get a quick idea of what their offerings are like. If there's lots of steamed milk art, pics of equipment and gear, any focus at all on drinks that aren't 3000 calories, it's worth dropping into.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You guys do way more QC for your potential coffee than I do. That said the only thing I order is an oat milk latte so I guess I don’t fully benefit from a super sick espresso :shrug:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The Oslo coffee scene is so competetive it's not a big issue. Even chain stores and some bakeries invest in training and competition. If you're more about pourovers and interesting filter coffee you can go to any of the stores selling locally roasted stuff.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

How's the DF54 looking? Seems like an insane deal considering it's competing with the Sage grinder at its price point.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Vegetable posted:

You guys do way more QC for your potential coffee than I do. That said the only thing I order is an oat milk latte so I guess I don’t fully benefit from a super sick espresso :shrug:

This is also a go to for me at chain places and yeah you have to REALLY gently caress up a shot to ruin a latte. Now a cortado on the other hand...

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Anyone have an E61 compatible bottomless portafilter they like? The one I ordered got refunded because they couldn't get any in stock, and I want one so it's easier to get a cup under the portafilter. Bonus if the same place sells blind baskets

Also any baskets they like? I got an IMS big bang which has been nicer to work with than the stock ridged baskets, but it's not made of steel so the dosing funnel I have barely sticks and it's annoying

gwrtheyrn fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 23, 2024

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

gwrtheyrn posted:

Anyone have an E61 compatible bottomless portafilter they like? The one I ordered got refunded because they couldn't get any in stock, and I want one so it's easier to get a cup under the portafilter. Bonus if the same place sells blind baskets

Also any baskets they like? I got an IMS big bang which has been nicer to work with than the stock ridged baskets, but it's not made of steel so the dosing funnel I have barely sticks and it's annoying

decent sells both the bottomless portafilter, a blind basket, and their own branded baskets, which are made by VST iirc. prices are not the cheapest but in line with other specialty vendors and they do free shipping if you buy at least 3 accessories. use the search function on their website: https://decentespresso.com/search

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

The bottomless there says only compatible with decent, while the spouted says compatible with decent, e61, and lm

Apparently that's only on the build your own. The assembled says compatible with all idk

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
The lugs are in the right place for e61, but the thickness may be slightly off so it won’t clock in at the exact same angle as the oem portafilter. That’s a risk with any non-original portafilter though, it should fit in and seal just fine

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

I just ordered a normcore because I can get it tomorrow thanks jeff. Basket will be a bit longer because finding vendors for these things is surprisingly annoying

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a Baratza Maestro Plus that's 13 or 14 years old at this point. I figure it might be time to replace the burrs. If I primarily use it for aeropress, drip, and the occasional moka pot, is there an advantage/disadvantage of replacing with with an M2 or M3 burr?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

that big moustached guy on youtube posted a new faff for "slow-feeding" hand griders yesterday or so, and I must say that was ... quite a bit of effort for not that much payoff. I think I got marginally les fines out of the grind, but the impact on the V60 was negligible at best.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Coffee: quite a bit of effort for not that much payoff

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Enjoying coffee right now is probably what it was like for our grandparents experiencing the natural wonders of the world before they completely disappeared and I gotta that that's pretty cool. Shame that our grandchildren won't be able to experience it like we did.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
Yeah. Imagine all the old ladies who spent hours working on their perfect chocolate chip cookie recipes. That's us, but adding in expensive knickknacks

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

George H.W. oval office posted:

Enjoying coffee right now is probably what it was like for our grandparents experiencing the natural wonders of the world before they completely disappeared and I gotta that that's pretty cool. Shame that our grandchildren won't be able to experience it like we did.

And if they develop robusto beans to be even more delicately flavorful than anything arabica is capable of they will be pushing the envelope in ways we cannot

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

They probably said this when they were still adding pieces of fish swim bladder to coffee to make the grounds settle out. I don't have any concrete data on this but I bet stuff like coffee and alcohol is consistently indulged in regardless of economic or environmental disaster. Maybe our grandchildren will enjoy turkish coffee but instead of sand it'll be radioactive Everdust, the hated Siltsand, the Wasteash.

rath
Apr 25, 2005
I should be learning code instead of posting on the boards.
Wait, you all can afford espresso AND children??? :guillotine:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've made my choice. It's a bouncing baby dual boiler with no burn stream wand and an e61 grouphead. I am protected.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

rath posted:

Wait, you all can afford espresso AND children??? :guillotine:

My toddler uses my aeropress inverted.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

That's pretty good! Most toddlers use a Chemex inverted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Residency Evil posted:

:unsmigghh:

A few weeks ago, my five year old very calmly and quietly came and woke me up at about 6:00 am and said "Daddy, can you help me please?" She had the little handheld milk frother completely wound up in her hair, all the way to the roots.