Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Very helpful to have all the diminutives for the biblical names. My dad's generation of American boomer Irish Catholic kids seemed to have only 5 or so first names per gender that made up over half the kids' names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Santiago being st james is something I learned within the last month. No I don't get it either. Nacho for ignacio makes sense at least

It makes more sense if you see how they both come from

"Sanctus Iacobus"

English somehow getting "James" from "Jacob" is the weirder one of the two.

I also just realised that "Diego" is not related to "Tiago"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

Santiago being st james is something I learned within the last month. No I don't get it either. Nacho for ignacio makes sense at least

Zuh? But Iago is derived from Jacob though? Spanish names be crazy

[edit] huh, I did not know that James was derived from Jacob, I assumed they were two different names of Hebrew origin

root beer has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Feb 19, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The -köping in the various -köpings (Linköping, Jönköping, Norrköping, etc. as well as Chipping, Chipping, Chipping Barnet, Chipping Sodbury et al.) just means shopping i.e. a market. I knew full well that the Swedish word for buy was köpa but I never made the connection.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The -köping in the various -köpings (Linköping, Jönköping, Norrköping, etc. as well as Chipping, Chipping, Chipping Barnet, Chipping Sodbury et al.) just means shopping i.e. a market. I knew full well that the Swedish word for buy was köpa but I never made the connection.

So if you want to buy a sunshade for the beach you'd go to the köpa cabana?

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Edit: it's also related to cheap, as it turns out, and links up with Kauf in German

Captain Splendid has a new favorite as of 14:48 on Feb 19, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

So if you want to buy a sunshade for the beach you'd go to the köpa cabana?

Why would you need sunshade at the beach?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Also all the place names ending in church/kirk/kerk/Kirche or (presumably) the various North Germanic forms, although they ultimately derive from a Greek word, which I didn't know until I looked it up just now. I guess you could say I just realized it.

e: Captain Splendid edited his post to make me look foolish, but he correctly related the English thorp to the (High) German dorf

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Feb 19, 2024

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Also all the place names ending in church/kirk/kerk/Kirche or (presumably) the various North Germanic forms, although they ultimately derive from a Greek word, which I didn't know until I looked it up just now. I guess you could say I just realized it.

Yeah it originally meant man with huge head but small face.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Phlegmish posted:

e: Captain Splendid edited his post to make me look foolish, but he correctly related the English thorp to the (High) German dorf

Yeah, sorry, I was just worried I was going off on too much of a self-indulgent tangent.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

Yeah, sorry, I was just worried I was going off on too much of a self-indulgent tangent.

This has never stopped me or any other goon before :justpost:

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Captain Splendid posted:

Edit: it's also related to cheap, as it turns out, and links up with Kauf in German

I went on a tangent looking that up the other day, starting with chapman (seller (like Kauffman)), which got shortened and generalized to chap (a dude)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Hirayuki posted:

I was reminded about more of these great/not immediately obvious nicknames while rewatching Better Call Saul: Nacho (Ignacio), Lalo (Eduardo), even Tuco (Alberto). Then there's Chuy (Jesús) and Poncho (Alfonso). So many diminutives that seem entirely disconnected from the original names--I love it.

I can't ever remember names for the principes involved, but of this kind of make sense

'uardo by itself kinda sounds like Lalo. Poncho is a simpler way of saying 'fonso. the phonemes are close to each other.

like how bubba is how a little kid pronounces brother in some American dialects.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Empty Sandwich posted:

I went on a tangent looking that up the other day, starting with chapman (seller (like Kauffman)), which got shortened and generalized to chap (a dude)

Just saw that post and was wondering if it was a cheapman; I'm glad someone was already there

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Empty Sandwich posted:

like how bubba is how a little kid pronounces brother in some American dialects.
The page I mentioned notes that these familiar diminutives are called "hypocoristics," which means "I speak in the language of children." So that tracks. :3:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Empty Sandwich posted:

Then chaps became assless pants and dude became city slicker on a ranch.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I knew that TV's Gotham and Rome had the same showrunner, but I've only recently been thinking about how they're basically the same show. Gordon and Bullock are Vorenus and Pullo, Alfred is Caesar, Bruce is Octavian, and the list goes on. This is amusing to me in both directions

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Then chaps became assless pants and dude became city slicker on a ranch.

goddammit chaps is from a different line but still [Eric Wareheim exploding in discs]

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Empty Sandwich posted:

goddammit chaps is from a different line but still [Eric Wareheim exploding in discs]

LMAO

Does death of the author apply to etymologists?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

the hardest part of doing a work project is getting started

the hardest part of doing a leisure project is continuing it

because now it's work

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, you definitely start to feel that type of burn if your hobby is also your job. Let's Plays were that for me for a while back in ~2015-18. I used to do two at once, and college, and then I realized that pace is not fun even if it was fun showing things to you folks here. Taking it slower means it's not a job anymore, which also means it's back to being play not work.

edit: Folks say "do what you love for a living" but in reality it isn't always a good idea. Sometimes you will lose your admiration for that thing by 'having' to do it. But it'll come back if you rest.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Feb 24, 2024

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, you definitely start to feel that type of burn if your hobby is also your job. Let's Plays were that for me for a while back in ~2015-18. I used to do two at once, and college, and then I realized that pace is not fun even if it was fun showing things to you folks here. Taking it slower means it's not a job anymore, which also means it's back to being play not work.

edit: Folks say "do what you love for a living" but in reality it isn't always a good idea. Sometimes you will lose your admiration for that thing by 'having' to do it. But it'll come back if you rest.

There's been a whole lot of major Youtubers burning out and walking away from the gig recently, with several of them posting videos saying "I used to love doing this but then it turned into a job, and the pace to maintain the channel and post content on a weekly basis is crazy relentless and I just can't do this any more"

I can't remember exactly who it was but one person who was running a beloved channel with millions of subscribers said something like "I wouldn't wish this gig on my worst enemy"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I just learned that Battlebit Remastered isn't a remaster of anything. It's just a dumb title.

I mean, I guess that doesn't really matter. I never played whatever I thought the original was. But something about it did intrigue me. Like, ohh they've made a good thing out of some old thing I've never heard of. I guess that's marketing for you, though.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

There's been a whole lot of major Youtubers burning out and walking away from the gig recently, with several of them posting videos saying "I used to love doing this but then it turned into a job, and the pace to maintain the channel and post content on a weekly basis is crazy relentless and I just can't do this any more"
I'm sure this has nothing to do with the various video essay people getting outed for plagiarism.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The main example of YouTubers quitting I can think of is Tom Scott, who used to do a lot of "here's a weird/quirky [usually transportation-related] thing that only exists in this one part of the world, I traveled to it and am now experiencing and explaining it" kinds of videos. He was consistently successful and certainly not plagiarizing anyone, but the relentless grind was too much, so he quit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DKv5H5Frt0

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CJacobs posted:

Folks do say that, and I think it's a really bad idea. Better idea to get a job you at least don't hate, and use the money they pay you to do the things you love and still keep a roof over your head!

That's more what I did, but now I don't have time to do Let's Plays anymore. I think I played myself. Oh well!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

I can't remember exactly who it was but one person who was running a beloved channel with millions of subscribers said something like "I wouldn't wish this gig on my worst enemy"

Yeah this becomes evident if you really sit down and try to crunch the numbers on their rate of production vs the effort they put into any video. Even just the editing alone, much less getting information together to have something to present and forming it into a script. All the smarter big channels eventually employ a whole team of 10+ people to do everything while they basically show up for an hour or two each week to record. Or, alternatively, they slowly shift to doing meme reaction videos or whatever where they basically scroll TikTok for 10 minutes each day going, "wow," and "I didn't expect that" every 15 seconds and still pull in $5k per video because their fanbase eats up the slop anyway. The real psychos are the ones who put out a video every day and self-reportedly do everything themselves, like GrayStillPlays who talks about working 80-100 hours a week or whatever while churning out a 20~ minute long video daily

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Kylie Minogue is 55 and still putting out bangers about hooking up with dudes in dance clubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Cnazi_Fi0

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

FFT posted:

Kylie Minogue is 55 and still putting out bangers about hooking up with dudes in dance clubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Cnazi_Fi0

Wow, talk about a grind mindset

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

She looks like a lobster queen

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

She looks like a lobster queen
Yeah, she's killing it.

And has been for literal decades lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c18441Eh_WE

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
YouTubers quitting after 10 years makes sense when you consider that most actual TV shows with a full staff also don't go more than 10 years, at least without a significant turnover in staff. It's kind of crazy to think one person plus an editor or two could keep it going.

FFT posted:

Yeah, she's killing it.

I'm old enough to remember when people were saying this exact same thing about her career, but in reference to this song. :okboomer:

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Silver Falcon posted:

Folks do say that, and I think it's a really bad idea. Better idea to get a job you at least don't hate, and use the money they pay you to do the things you love and still keep a roof over your head!

That's more what I did, but now I don't have time to do Let's Plays anymore. I think I played myself. Oh well!

Yeah, I was a pinball tech for seven years, and now instead of thinking they’re cool and fun, I see a machine and all I can think of is what will break. It’s not like I would refuse if someone asked me to play, but I‘ll never seek it out myself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Domus posted:

Yeah, I was a pinball tech for seven years, and now instead of thinking they’re cool and fun, I see a machine and all I can think of is what will break. It’s not like I would refuse if someone asked me to play, but I‘ll never seek it out myself.

I Let's Played several of my favorite games, that I used to play every year. I haven't touched any of them since finishing their respective LPs. There's something about exhaustively documenting a game that makes it lose the magic, I guess.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
would you say that it's too much abstraction of the core conceit of the game

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

FFT posted:

Yeah, she's killing it.

This is I think the only song of hers I don't like, and it really is specifically because she keeps making this weird face so close to the camera. It really is like a girl way too drunk dancing way too close to your face in the club.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I fully agree. I went to art school over twenty years ago for computer animation, after having spent all of my childhood and adolescence drawing and creating characters and stuff; I very quickly came to hate and resent it, and I haven’t done anything really creative since. I have an itch to do something creative, but I can’t even start anymore, I just end up absolutely hating it. Turns out I was just using art to escape from the loneliness and crippling depression I was suffering as a kid. Welp.

Now I have a career that pays very well that I care almost nothing about, and I’m fine. Had to take a long detour and start all over again, and get a PhD, but I have no emotional investment in it for it to ruin something I once enjoyed. I just need a hobby.

root beer has a new favorite as of 22:48 on Feb 24, 2024

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I just realized I didn't know what the Chinese and Japanese words for "emperor" were, which strikes me as a bit odd considering they come up pretty frequently in history discussion. Anyway

Chinese: Huangdi
Japanese: Tenno

I had actually heard Huangdi before, but I thought it was just the name of the mythical first emperor, I didn't realize the real ones also called themselves that. If you said "Tenno" to me I'd have thought you were talking about Warframe.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The thing about all the "it actually takes fifty hours to edit one of these twenty-minute videos!" that I'm not sure I appreciate is... why? Does someone actually care? Is there actual data that shows a professional level of editing makes a difference? I mean I don't give a gently caress as long as the sound doesn't crackle and the intro is no more than three seconds. Do other people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The thing about all the "it actually takes fifty hours to edit one of these twenty-minute videos!" that I'm not sure I appreciate is... why? Does someone actually care? Is there actual data that shows a professional level of editing makes a difference? I mean I don't give a gently caress as long as the sound doesn't crackle and the intro is no more than three seconds. Do other people?
It's not about what you consciously care about. It's about what you unconsciously care about.

Unfortunately (fortunately?) generation of media is not just checking a list of 10 things off.