Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Cash Monet posted:

I've been looking for a replacement for Mass Effect 3 multiplayer for years, will this fit the bill?

For sure. I actually just got into ME3MP again with my crew immediately before this game came out and it ticks a lot of the same boxes for us. Mostly the "running around a map completing random objectives while fighting hordes of enemies" thing. There's really no "powers" or biotic detonations or whatever it was called but poo poo blows up reeeeal good and cooperative play is a must at higher levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Volte posted:

Where's the "Helldivers 2 is a plucky indie success story" thing coming from? Arrowhead Games is a 100+ person company and the game was published by and funded by Sony over the course of nearly 8 years. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find out they're getting acquired by Sony soon.

$40 game = indie game, simple as

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Thumbtacks posted:

Did a drop last night on difficulty 6 and I absolutely griefed the guy I joined unintentionally. Apparently there's something that scrambles the strategem you're holding? I had no idea that was a thing or why that was happening but I called in air strikes on my position about six different times and blew through reinforcements.

Is that just a thing that happens on higher difficulties or is that a thing that bots do or a building or something?

Once you start getting into the higher difficulties you really, really need to start paying attention to the active mission effects

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Til I that Helldivers 1 was the first Sony published game to get a steam release. Interesting legacy

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Marlow posted:

I know that the Discord has been locked for being over capacity for a while, but if any of you have the opportunity to join the Helldivers Official Discord, please jump at it. It is full of some of the best posts I've ever seen. This one almost made me do a spit take with my Liber-tea.

https://www.change.org/p/demand-immediate-repair-of-helldiver-2-server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-09gNDsPzQ

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They should have AI companions who are clearly just robots under their armor

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

jokes posted:

H..Hello?? Democracy Officer???

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

jokes posted:

right right down left right down

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

lol the bots are just kicking the poo poo out of us

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Helldivers 2 is absolutely a AAA game. They called it as such in their own announcement of the game back in 2020.

https://www.arrowheadgamestudios.com/2020/12/arrowhead-game-studios-is-working-on-a-next-generation-3rd-person-cooperative-shooter/

quote:

The Stockholm-based studio, known for their uncompromising game mechanics and intense cooperative gameplay, are well underway on their next project: a 3rd person shooter featuring next-gen graphics, innovative co-op and agency for the community to alter the course of the game. This AAA game will share the satirical humor that fans of the studio’s previous games know and love.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

jokes posted:

Special ops guys named SPECTRES...a plot twist when you find out that they are actually the SPECTRES of Communism!

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

Phanatic posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but...how do you play with other people? I see a Quickplay option at the Galactic War panel, but despite hundreds of thousands of people playing the game it just sits there on a timer and never actually places me into a game. And there doesn't seem to be any kind of game browser to see what's going on at any given time, it looks like my only option is to create my own game, and nobody ever joins it.

If it's finding games and failing to connect it should eventually work - usually have better luck from the full galaxy map then on individual planets. if the timer is just running and you don't see any other games popping up on the world maps, there's a connection issue and you won't be able to match with people. starting a solo game and quitting back out usually fixes it. you can also change the difficulty setting or moving planets and see if that fixes it. usually it takes starting a game for me. solo'ing some stuff is a nice warm-up so i don't mind much

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Having said that, Helldivers 2 just handily beat Destiny 2's all-time PC numbers and Sony paid 3 billion dollars for Bungie

Not to jump on you specifically, but I’ve seen this narrative around and it is not true. These posts are often accompanied by a cute SteamDB graph comparison that completely ignores the part where Destiny 2 was not on Steam for the first two years it existed.

In short one cannot confidently say that Helldivers 2 has higher peak players than Destiny 2 ever did because one does not have those numbers at all. What we do know is that Destiny 2 moved more than 5M copies on its launch week. HD2 did not.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Special ops guys named SPECTRES...a plot twist when you find out that they are actually the SPECTRES of Communism!

No no, they were communist robots but they have been reprogrammed-- much like how Helldivers are REDACTED

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

If it's true that the strategy layer is what's cooking the servers then they need to strip it out. It's a 4-player P2P horde shooter, they don't need to track the orbit of every super destroyer around every planet.

stop posting ideas anathema to the setting of helldivers

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baggot posted:

Helldivers 2 is absolutely a AAA game. They called it as such in their own announcement of the game back in 2020.

https://www.arrowheadgamestudios.com/2020/12/arrowhead-game-studios-is-working-on-a-next-generation-3rd-person-cooperative-shooter/

The term AAA means basically nothing outside of vibes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

victrix posted:

I wonder if they are going to give a "freebie" win on this one due to the server issues. I've been grinding out defense missions on those pain in the rear end bots when I'm able to log in and we're still losing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I wonder if they are going to give a "freebie" win on this one due to the server issues. I've been grinding out defense missions on those pain in the rear end bots when I'm able to log in and we're still losing.

Freedom isn't free

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

ijyt posted:

stop posting ideas anathema to the setting of helldivers

bot sympathizer.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

veni veni veni posted:

I get what you're saying, but let's not try to redefine what the devs themselves have labeled their own game as. They said it's AAA. It's AAA.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

victrix posted:

I love running offensive operations against the bots but defense missions are MAD boring.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

Or extend the length of the event.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Or maybe we just lose that major order, and they update the available missions and narrative accordingly.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Diephoon posted:

I love running offensive operations against the bots but defense missions are MAD boring.

I don't mind the short ones like Kill X Bots because that's just a strategem testing zone that you get paid to use, but the other ones are a pain in the rear end.

Tbh I don't mind the blitz maps in general because running all over the large maps to clear out every speck of red is kind of a pain, but most people insist on it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Baggot posted:

Ah, fair enough. I've just been seeing discourse around the game online talking about how it's a smaller studio whose previous game/entry into this series wasn't well remembered/known.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty much. The game itself has as much or more polish as most "AAA" games, but 100 people is still a pretty small crew compared to the studios behind most big releases.

Baggot posted:

I get what you're saying, but let's not try to redefine what the devs themselves have labeled their own game as. They said it's AAA. It's AAA.

The AAA thing is pretty nebulous in general and in my mind is somewhat analogous to budget. Ubisoft idiocy aside, there's no upper limit to AAA. If we are going by what the devs said, their wildest projection was only about 150k concurrent players.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I want us to lose a war against the robots because we can't get into the game since it will break brains

I also want them to cite the server issues as an in-universe countermeasure against democracy perpetrated by the bots, harming Super Earth's technical/logistical infrastructure during a large rush of new recruits that didn't let them deploy

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I like the blitz missions to destroy outposts/nests bc it really pushes you to do surgical strikes. Sneak up, throw a beacon, hit the bricks. No time wasted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Baggot posted:

I'd probably use that terminology too if I was trying to sell a franchise that was shifting from isometric to TPS. So from a marketing standpoint is it fair to call it AAA? Sure I guess. But in the context of discourse I'd say "AAA" largely has negative connotations and mostly gets used to describe a game that feels designed by committee to a fault. HD2 certainly ain't that. I think most people consider HD2 to be AA or something in that realm due to the lower price point, lack of traditional campaign, smaller dev team, lack of a huge marketing push etc.

Edit: none of that really matters though because terms like AAA, AA, and indie really just boil down to people's perception of a game more than any measurable factor.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 20, 2024

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got a good chuckle out of the tutorial going out of its way to tell you that friendly fire is 100% unavoidable and there's absolutely nothing, not one single thing, that you can do to prevent it. So I don't get people being mad about it at all.

e: I mean this re: him being mad you squashed him not you being mad he shot you to death

I always feel like poo poo whenever I kill a squad member by mistake :(

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

jokes posted:

I want us to lose a war against the robots because we can't get into the game since it will break brains

I also want them to cite the server issues as an in-universe countermeasure against democracy perpetrated by the bots, harming Super Earth's technical/logistical infrastructure during a large rush of new recruits that didn't let them deploy

And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Stolen from reddit.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/gl35...1036a14f4cd#t=0

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AEMINAL posted:

I always feel like poo poo whenever I kill a squad member by mistake :(

Depends on who it is in my squad. If it's Gary I'm throwing an extra grenade on his body to make sure I blow his arms and legs off.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So now that its a workday, we got any optics on patches, servers, the ability to get into game, afk timer, etc?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

victrix posted:

it's kinda nuts how much harder the bots are than the bugs. Hopefully the difficulties get adjusted a tad in the near future.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Baggot posted:

Ubisoft said that Skull and Bones is a AAAA game, and yet from all accounts it's a shittier and more limited version of a game they made over a decade ago. I don't care what the devs say, Helldivers doesn't seem as big or polished as something like Horizon Zero Dawn, or even Call of Duty. And I think that if they only expected 150k concurrent players, then they were not aiming at a AAA-sized audience, either.

explosivo posted:

The backend for this game is a raging inferno at the moment so you can chalk any issues with matchmaking/multiplayer up to that. Normally you matchmake to find a random game or find people running missions on the planet and clicking on it to join them. But none of that poo poo is working at the moment because again the game is getting blown the gently caress up.

I fixed it last night thusly:

I only was able to get in an hour or two before I had to go to bed, but I was flicking between difficulties and planets on the world map and was seeing lots of other player missions populating, and I was able to join a 4-man pub for a few missions. Matchmaking makes this game, imo, once they figure out the capacity issues they've gotta turn that back on as soon as possible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Elendil004 posted:

So now that its a workday, we got any optics on patches, servers, the ability to get into game, afk timer, etc?

today but maybe not today anymore

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Ubisoft said that Skull and Bones is a AAAA game, and yet from all accounts it's a shittier and more limited version of a game they made over a decade ago. I don't care what the devs say, Helldivers doesn't seem as big or polished as something like Horizon Zero Dawn, or even Call of Duty. And I think that if they only expected 150k concurrent players, then they were not aiming at a AAA-sized audience, either.

The whole AAA rating thing was borrowed from the bond market, as a way to say "This is a very safe game to spend money on, you're basically guaranteed to make a bunch of money back Mr Publisher"

So yea their promo material is gonna say AAA, that's why it's promo material.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm coming out with the first AAAAA game tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Potato Salad posted:

Regarding servers, MY UNCLE WHO WORKS AT NINTENDO SAID-- :biglips:

joking aside, over the weekend I got a chance to play with a couple, one of whom does surprisingly-cobtrived devops at GAME_STUDIO at present, and the other started at LIVE_SERVICES_NETWORK_PARTNER early last year. Apparently there's way, waaaaaaaaaay more involved with expanding console live services games than you'd expect as an outsider. With PC, there's more wiggle room to design a now-standard truly-fanout elastic system that really does scale nearly linear with spend. Once you start getting into console support, though, you're working with first and third party partners for the console broker circuits, for networking more generally, for identity service and synchronization, for everything aside from literally the shards you're buying, and even then it's common to go to a partner for that too because Cloud Is Hard™.

From this comfy armchair, I empathize with the devs at this point. If the community manager who cited that expected 150k concurrent client number isn't blowing smoke, the developer did a LOT of work on calls with partners and providers to get rate limits and SLAs and accounts and deployment/configuration pipelines (which apparently is much harder than your simple spherical web app deployment when you're working both with game processes AND with loads of third parties) and everything else up to 3x scale in one week.

I do this kind of stuff for a living. Not just with game companies but all companies that have large amounts of users and data. I do have one high profile game company that's been working on getting their game to scale to hundreds of thousands of concurrent players.

It's really really hard. Even though yes it's easier on PC, that easier comes with an asterisk as it's easier RELATIVE to console gaming. It's not something that most developers encounter in their day to day and the solutions are things that require very careful thought and planning. They may be able to get a few quick wins out over the next week or two but I wouldn't expect this game to be truly running smoothly for a while. Hopefully they have a good contract with their vendor and have a war room with someone experienced with one of these things. If not they definitely have the money to throw to get that support. Either way though it won't be overnight