Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

This is what peak performance looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Buttons for temperature up/down are OK but I still feel like that UI peaked with a knob and a display inside the know showing the current setting.

Is there another example of this besides the Audi TT? I think about that setup a lot and how one could implement it in a restomod situation.

Eyud posted:

:hmmyes:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

dissss posted:

Outside looks good, but it isn't giving me VW vibes - looks more like a Peugeot or something

Matches all the other ID cars, which all look VW'y enough for me. I hate the interior too though. In contrast to most here, I'm not all that bothered by the "iPad stuck to dashboard" thing, but this one, something about it is a step too far. It's huge and high and dominating and also give some some kind of drivers cluster. It appears to have somethng there which might be enough but I can't tell from these pics.

OTOH people have been screaming for an EV wagon for a long time and here we are.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Eyud posted:

Nope. Can't choose each vent direction independently.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Matches all the other ID cars, which all look VW'y enough for me. I hate the interior too though. In contrast to most here, I'm not all that bothered by the "iPad stuck to dashboard" thing, but this one, something about it is a step too far. It's huge and high and dominating and also give some some kind of drivers cluster. It appears to have somethng there which might be enough but I can't tell from these pics.

OTOH people have been screaming for an EV wagon for a long time and here we are.

Taycan sport turismo has been out for a minute

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

And is being discontinued, IIRC

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

For not having the three knobs, I quite liked the climate controls in my Omega. Not my photo but:

The dials adjust the temperature, you can toggle each vent direction separtely, the windshield button puts it automatically at full blast defogging, and fan speed can be easily increased/decreased by mashing the button a few times.

Sab669 posted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/709165/volkswagen-id7-tourer-debut-specs/amp/

Exterior is real sharp, but that interior makes me stop caring it's not coming here :v: [already ignoring I can't do an EV]
Autogefuehl video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnCrUs51Lt8

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

TheBacon posted:

Taycan sport turismo has been out for a minute

That's true, but I also meant one with sane pricing. Taycan CT base is twice the price of the ID7 base.

BuckyDoneGun fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Feb 20, 2024

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Sab669 posted:

https://www.motor1.com/news/709165/volkswagen-id7-tourer-debut-specs/amp/

Exterior is real sharp, but that interior makes me stop caring it's not coming here :v: [already ignoring I can't do an EV]

605l of cargo is really poor for something aiming for the electric Passat market. That's smaller than a Golf estate.
It is very on brand for all of the id series being a little bit worse than their equivalent VW ICE cars though. Hopefully they let Skoda do something with the platform sooner rather than later.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yeep posted:

605l of cargo is really poor for something aiming for the electric Passat market. That's smaller than a Golf estate.
It is very on brand for all of the id series being a little bit worse than their equivalent VW ICE cars though. Hopefully they let Skoda do something with the platform sooner rather than later.

Skoda has the Enyak or whatever and it's kind of meh too

E: Carwow has a video on the Fisker Ocean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoIT_onPfKk

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 20, 2024

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

weirdly chilly pussy posted:

The single biggest failure mode for the 159 is terminal rust in the sill area and front subframe. I think it might be the only car in the last 15 years to be rated one star in rust protection by swedish Vi Bilägaren.

I do wish Alfa/Stellantis somehow managed to come up with a new sport wagon.
Surprised by this as the ones on the road are not that terrible looking compared to similiar aged Mazda 6s (2/5), W211 (2/5) or Passats (2/5) :v:

The reason there's no sport wagon is that consumers want these CUVs and SUVs and Stelvio/Toenail fill that segment.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
The 156, 147, GT & 159 (and related) rot from the inside out. Once you can see any rust on the outside be prepared to replace a square meter metal in the sills and floors.

Or even if you don’t see any rust. A decade a go I bought a 100 000 km driven, one owners club member owner since one year old, rustproofed when bought by him, ”absolutely no rust” Busso 156. Within a month I ended up tearing out the interior and replacing the back 0.5 m of the sills and floorseams.

This was after the floors of my previous 156 basically dropped out with almost no external signs of rust and I wanted to replace it with the most rust free example I could find. Rust free examples don’t exist in northern Europe.

And in contrast to an earlier statement here, the torsen AWD is only available with diesel in 156. V6 & GTA were always FWD.

The 159 AWD is both V6 and diesels.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Eyud posted:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Is there another example of this besides the Audi TT? I think about that setup a lot and how one could implement it in a restomod situation.

Audi has it across most of their line. I thought there were other brands that used it, but they all just have knob + separate display. Welp.

Edit: the Miata layout is not as purty, but I accept that in a car built around the gram strategy, it makes perfect sense to let the user read the set temperature off the markings instead of wiring up a display.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 20, 2024

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

What do you think the knob on the right does cause I have that exact setup in my car and I can choose where the air goes

Spoiler: the faces of the dials are buttons too

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Laserface posted:

What do you think the knob on the right does cause I have that exact setup in my car and I can choose where the air goes

I imagine the annoyance is some incredibly specific use case because goon. "why doesn't it let me only use 3 or the 4 vents at the front and one of the rears from this simple dial?" type poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I imagine the annoyance is some incredibly specific use case because goon. "why doesn't it let me only use 3 or the 4 vents at the front and one of the rears from this simple dial?" type poo poo.

isnt the way this generally gets handled is that every vent is aimable and has a door that allows you to close it off? that's how every car I have owned works

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It’s a dealbreaker for me imo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

isnt the way this generally gets handled is that every vent is aimable and has a door that allows you to close it off? that's how every car I have owned works

I haven't looked at any new new cars so maybe they got rid of those too

"NICE VENT GRANDPA!" - something an executive somewhere honestly believes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really think these things are 99.999% designed around focus group feedback of showroom experiences

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

KakerMix posted:

I haven't looked at any new new cars so maybe they got rid of those too

"NICE VENT GRANDPA!" - something an executive somewhere honestly believes

I have some choice words about the reliability of new Mercedes in general, and the RGB gaming PC styling definitely isn't for everyone but I gotta say the vents just work really well. They aim easily, and to close them you just spin the center 90 degrees and you get a nice click. Also physical buttons for temp, fan, defrost etc..., honestly the HVAC and volume controls are probably 30% of why I went with the A35 over a Golf R.

Disclosure: I've had the A35 for 10 days and already has had more problems than my B9 A4 did in 3 years of ownership, so you win some, you lose some. I miss my 1996 C230.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Interested on what can go wrong in 10 days

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

euphronius posted:

I really think these things are 99.999% designed around focus group feedback of showroom experiences

I'll be sure to start attending my local show and comment loudly on how stupid the screens are.

I actually wish I went to my local show the other weekend; Nissan had the new Z there. Would've been neat to see one in person given that they're nonexistent on dealer lots and therefore public streets.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

euphronius posted:

Interested on what can go wrong in 10 days

It was a certified pre-owned one, so 35k km on the clock. Checked service history though and it had only done 4k km in the last 7 months so I assume it was just sitting in a garage most of the time which tends to be when things break.

So far, bearing on the HVAC blower fan made a fun catastrophic noise and has been clicking since, automatic high beams freak out almost every drive at some point thinking there are obstructions on perfectly clear nights, 4matic and traction control had a seizure for a whole day so it was just a front wheel drive burn-out machine, weird high pitched whine decelerating from 40-30km/h from the front right, uneven sunroof seal so one side is about a quarter inch proud of the roof line when closed...think that's it?

I have set myself an alarm in my calendar to let me know when there are six weeks left of the warranty so I can start shopping for a replacement.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Sab669 posted:

I actually wish I went to my local show the other weekend; Nissan had the new Z there. Would've been neat to see one in person given that they're nonexistent on dealer lots and therefore public streets.

My local dealer has had a white base model automatic on their lot for 6 months at $51k CAD (so $38k USD?) It's weird to see a car look good in white.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Automotive depression is a good way to put it. We currently have 3 cars: 2 daily drivers and an old fun car for me. I've thought about reshuffling things as our Macan is at 145k miles and likely due for replacement soon, but I'm not in a huge rush. I want something that's somewhat fun to drive, has 4 doors, decent build quality, no longer than 190 inches, and will make it to the mountains for skiing and back. I think the answer is to just buy another Macan but :effort:.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Laserface posted:

It doesn't let you choose face and windshield, or face windshield and feet at the same time.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
https://www.motor1.com/news/709559/2025-mazda-cx-70-pricing/

Apparently the Mazda CX-70 starts at a higher MSRP than the CX-90, but it's on a technicality because the cost of each trim is identical between the two and the 90 is offered in a baser trim.

I don't see the CX-70 being particularly competitive because of this, and the nice 2 row crossover segment is incredibly stacked because that's where the whole market is buying right now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I think they might have realized they left a lot of money on the table for the CX-90.

In Canada the CX-90 starts at $48,495, the CX-70 at $52,646.

The Grand Cherokee L starts at $61,476, the 2 row starts at $59,465.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those seem like a lot of money for a Mazda

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

euphronius posted:

Those seem like a lot of money for a Mazda

New cars are loving expensive (see the last few pages of ranting). Especially 3-row pseudo-premium SUVs.

You can spend that much on a fuckin Kia if you want to -- and people are, loaded up Tellurides and the like are flying off of lots.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Guinness posted:

New cars are loving expensive (see the last few pages of ranting). Especially 3-row pseudo-premium SUVs.

You can spend that much on a fuckin Kia if you want to -- and people are, loaded up Tellurides and the like are flying off of lots.

People are spending a ton of money on credit which is where the real hilarity is going to catch up with us all.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Guinness posted:

Lol we were shopping for a VW Atlas for my better half's business (wedding planner, need tons of room for totes full of decor as well as occasionally driving a bride or groom around) and ended up going with a loaded up to the tits Telluride instead. Handled better, interior materials were nicer, 8 speed auto was smoother, V6 sounds are nice, and subjectively, in all black it looks better than the monster Tiguan. Hasn't needed a thing in 20k km except some Kia priced oil changes. Only really matters because it's a partial write-off for the business too, but just way better lease residuals and rates, MSRP was within a thousand bucks but payments were $250/month less on the big dumb Kia.

Edit: But yes, it felt very weird, gross and bad to shop for a $60k CAD Kia.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hey I didn’t mean anything especially negative about it. Nearly everything “luxury” these days is just commodity electronic doodads and it can be a great value to get a loaded mainstream brand with all the bells and whistles compared to a “luxury” brand that nickel and dimes you to death. Especially for an appliance car why spend the luxury tax?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Guinness posted:

Hey I didn’t mean anything especially negative about it. Nearly everything “luxury” these days is just commodity electronic doodads and it can be a great value to get a loaded mainstream brand with all the bells and whistles compared to a “luxury” brand that nickel and dimes you to death. Especially for an appliance car why spend the luxury tax?

Oh 100% I agree with you, it is insane. We briefly looked at a Q7 and to get a spec with a 360 camera it was like $80k for an SUV that will depreciate by 50% in 18 months. The whole market is insane.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So what are the kias and Mazdas of today ?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

I think whatever those would be were canceled.
I feel like its every time I get an automotive magazine, or read an article online, quirky cheap things are being canceled or discontinued and everyone is trying to move upmarket even when that means nothing and doesnt make sense.

Franco Caution fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 21, 2024

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DoesNotCompute posted:

My local dealer has had a white base model automatic on their lot for 6 months at $51k CAD (so $38k USD?) It's weird to see a car look good in white.
Reminds me, my local dealer (also :canada:) has one in grey sitting on the lot. Been meaning to look at it just for curiosity.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

So what are the kias and Mazdas of today ?

The attitude seems to be that nobody can make a new car that's competitive with an off-lease Honda or Toyota, so everyone's given up trying to compete at that price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
GOOD NEWS! It's the new Dacia Spring!

Small city EV using a Renault-Nissan Chinese market platform, billed as "Europe's most affordable new electric car".

45 or 65hp versions, 26.8kwh battery, 137mi range, 45min 20-80% fast charge, 308l boot, 1004l with seats folded, 984kg in top trim, only comes on steelies with hubcaps. V2L, small frunk is optional, many real buttons, plenty of the usual safety/driver assists plus infotainment screen/carplay/AA on top trim. appears to start with a KEY. pricing unconfirmed yet but could be starting about £16k, half the price of the next cheapest EV currently on sale in the UK.

However: 1 star Euro NCAP safety :jebstare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT832_ofEYM