Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023
I hope meta adds some kind of item recognition API to track physical objects, maybe you pass the API a trained model and get back results.

It'd be fun to use your real joystick or sword in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

I hope meta adds some kind of item recognition API to track physical objects, maybe you pass the API a trained model and get back results.

Spatially-consistent object passthrough would honestly be amazing for flight sims.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Lemming posted:

Quest 3 has inside out body tracking, to some degree. I haven't messed around with it yet, but it's supposed to be able to do exactly that without any extra external devices

It can track your torso, but not hips. No good for dirty dancing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ScreenDoorThrillr posted:

Or do some dorky image tracking qr code pattern on things, like the sony magicbook

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Are you suggesting they go back to fiducial markers on the walls?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Is it a terrible idea to take my quest 3 up on my roof deck? It's large enough that I can setup boundaries to make sure I'm nowhere near falling off the roof, and I know not expose the lenses inside to sunlight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hmm Doja Cat free concerts shot in vr, eh?

A couple minutes later she’s twerking at the vr cameraman 10 feet away

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

rafikki posted:

Is it a terrible idea to take my quest 3 up on my roof deck? It's large enough that I can setup boundaries to make sure I'm nowhere near falling off the roof, and I know not expose the lenses inside to sunlight.

unless you have an extremely smooth and even deck id probably not risk being known to history as the guy who walked off his roof wearing a vr helmet

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Kalman posted:

Spatially-consistent object passthrough would honestly be amazing for flight sims.

I think there is a space game that does this but the name escapes me. I think it's on sideload?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I remember Tinker Pilot was a project aiming for 1:1 virtual and physical control matches, so no selective passthrough needed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Are you suggesting they go back to fiducial markers on the walls?

markers on your sword

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Al! posted:

unless you have an extremely smooth and even deck id probably not risk being known to history as the guy who walked off his roof wearing a vr helmet

As you fall through the guardian barrier passthrough will automatically activate so at least you‘ll see the ground coming. Source: fell down some stairs in VR (don’t be me, kids, just stay away from the stairs) managed not to die or break anything.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frank Dillinger posted:

As you fall through the guardian barrier passthrough will automatically activate so at least you‘ll see the ground coming. Source: fell down some stairs in VR (don’t be me, kids, just stay away from the stairs) managed not to die or break anything.

Are you posting while in VR? Are you finding it hard to remove the headset, like it's not actually there?...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been clawing at my face all day to get my headset off. Unfortunately, it appears that this is my reality, doomed to post for all eternity.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
That's the premise of that Digital Circus YT show tumblr/tiktok peeps are going mad over.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Did Meta Horizon Worlds change? Last I remember in Quest 2 you could sort of teleport through the worlds when you want to move your character but it seems they got rid of that? Now you need to walk and get like motion sickness?

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

lol internet. posted:

Did Meta Horizon Worlds change? Last I remember in Quest 2 you could sort of teleport through the worlds when you want to move your character but it seems they got rid of that? Now you need to walk and get like motion sickness?

There’s movement preferences in the settings to change between slide and teleport, I think?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Onward got a big update yesterday that adds an entirely new co-op mode called Mercenaries. Your team of 4 starts with pistols, and does a series of 6 missions of increasing difficulty. Each mission has different equipment rewards to choose from, as well as a randomized option. So you might have the choice between Extra Syringes and a Red Dot Site for primary weapons, or an AK-12 primary weapon (and the random slot is frag grenades and a primary foregrip). It's very fun, and a much different feeling and environment from normal play. Lots of of graphical updates as well.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Custom modes for Racket Club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHwNrFR2Fiw

Zenith F2P version is in open beta now
https://zenithmmo.com/blogs/news/free-to-play-open-beta-for-zenith-infinite-realms

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

That girl has tennis anime protagonist determination in her face. The eyebrows of victory

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Steve Yun posted:

That girl has tennis anime protagonist determination in her face. The eyebrows of victory

I may be lacking that, because I tried multiplayer for the first time yesterday and my opponent owned me hard. He would flick the racket and give some stupid spin effect to the ball.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Onward got a big update yesterday that adds an entirely new co-op mode called Mercenaries. Your team of 4 starts with pistols, and does a series of 6 missions of increasing difficulty. Each mission has different equipment rewards to choose from, as well as a randomized option. So you might have the choice between Extra Syringes and a Red Dot Site for primary weapons, or an AK-12 primary weapon (and the random slot is frag grenades and a primary foregrip). It's very fun, and a much different feeling and environment from normal play. Lots of of graphical updates as well.

I only played a little last night, but I'm digging it. As someone who loves the weapon handling of Onward but never had a good time with the 5v5, I feel like there's finally an actual game, here. It's also nice being forced to use a pistol at first, since there's very little reason to in the other modes.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TadBradley posted:

I only played a little last night, but I'm digging it. As someone who loves the weapon handling of Onward but never had a good time with the 5v5, I feel like there's finally an actual game, here. It's also nice being forced to use a pistol at first, since there's very little reason to in the other modes.

It's been a blast. It enforces actual teamwork and solid communication, as well as coordination of equipment between maps. The final mission is always an escape via chopper, but it spawns far from you while max level bots are swarming you. The music kicks in and everything, it feels very cinematic and awesome.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I caved and bought a Quest 3, I needed a treat. Colour passthrough is neat, the screen definitely feels crisper and the controllers feel a tiny bit more balanced without the rings. All good so far but I definitely need a different facial interface, I like the material but it just isn't quite soft enough and my face started to ache pretty quickly. AMVR do the same basic one from the Quest 2 replacement interfaces so I'll probably go with that.

What's a good choice for a head strap? I don't need a battery as my wireless isn't good enough for Airlink, so I have a powered cable instead.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Getting a halo strap and going without a facial interface is also an option. You lose a little stability and a little immersion (because you can see your surroundings), but you gain a comfort, situational awareness (because you can see your surroundings!), and at least for me it reduces motion sickness. Plus, it's less sweaty and your lenses won't fog up during intense games.

I can only vouch for the BoboVR S3 (which is on the expensive side and has a battery, so probably not your best pick), but I imagine there are others.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Even if you are wired when you are playing pcvr it's pretty great to be wireless when you are playing quest only games (of which there are many). The Q3 is decently powerful enough that games can look a lot better than old Quest stuff. I never bothered with battery crap on the Q1 or Q2 but I was running out of battery frequently on the Q3 both because it doesn't get great battery life and the extra comfort allows me to play longer. There are also games where the pcvr and Q3 versions are similar so it isn't worth bothering to stream (Walkabout Golf and Light Brigade for two examples).

Quest streaming experience has improved over the years too as I found it pretty janky on my Q1 years ago but still on the same network pretty good on my Q3 (I am actually in the middle of upgrading the network tho). There are also cheap ways to make your wireless good enough for pc streaming. I've seen people mention getting <= $50 routers that they dedicated to streaming (ethernet connected to pc and with an ssid nothing else connects to) that can stream at the highest quality.

I also really like the BoboVR S3 which of the 4 straps I tried (2 different Kiwi, Bobo m3, and Bobo s4) was the best. I have the amvr facial interface but it's only okay. I found the nose piece annoying and it isn't really much more comfortable than the stock. It does adjust the headset distance easier than the stock if you frequently need to change that for whatever reason. At the moment I am actually favoring the stock interface with a cheap silicon cover, but my plan is to eventually 3D print one of those slim Quest Pro style interfaces that I can attach a bit of cushion to. I didn't find it entirely comfortable to go without the facial interface, but I have a giant newscaster head so maybe it's getting in the way.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I tried watching some streaming movies in Quest 3 in different environments

lol if you watch in any of the large movie theaters and slouch the tiniest bit, the chair in front of you will block part of the screen

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

It's been a blast. It enforces actual teamwork and solid communication, as well as coordination of equipment between maps. The final mission is always an escape via chopper, but it spawns far from you while max level bots are swarming you. The music kicks in and everything, it feels very cinematic and awesome.

I've seen an Onward voice channel in the GoonVR discord, is there any goon presence in this game at all?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FuzzySlippers posted:

I also really like the BoboVR S3 which of the 4 straps I tried (2 different Kiwi, Bobo m3, and Bobo s4) was the best. I have the amvr facial interface but it's only okay. I found the nose piece annoying and it isn't really much more comfortable than the stock.

Is that this one? Because it looks hella clunky and heavy. And the fan built into the headband is kinda :confused:

It's great if it's actually comfy and good, it just honestly does not look it to me.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

The Eyes Have It posted:

Is that this one? Because it looks hella clunky and heavy. And the fan built into the headband is kinda :confused:

It's great if it's actually comfy and good, it just honestly does not look it to me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

The Eyes Have It posted:

now this is cyberpunk

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

The Eyes Have It posted:

it looks dumb as gently caress in the photos. About a month ago when I first got the q3 someone in this thread recommended the bobo and I actually expressed doubts based on how awkward it looked. When I went looking at recommendations for straps on reddit you do find near uniform praise so I decided to try an m3 from some place with easy returns. When I put it on I understood the love for halo style straps. It's dramatically more comfortable than any of the various straps I've used over the years including my previous favorite the vive das adapted to work on the quest 1. My wife tried it on for a couple minutes and immediately ordered the q2 version for her headset to replace her elite style strap she's used for years. We've both been more comfortable in vr than we've ever been and been playing something every day (usually a round or two of walkabout golf at least). Getting all that pressure off your face is so good. I was also always doubtful of the idea of a battery at the back of the strap acting as a counterweight but it does seem to work.

There are other halo style straps but this is the only one I've used. They announced the s3 a couple days after I bought the m3 so I returned the m3 and ordered the s3 since I do actually use the extra battery life and the s3 does have some other minor improvements (a bit more comfortable and it's more solid and it stays when you flip it up better). So, the m3 is a cheaper option if you want to go for it. I believe the mini is not the same fit so I wouldn't drop down to that.

I will say it looks less dumb irl than in the photos somehow. Something about that straight on profile photo just exaggerates the extra plastic to look like the worst third party NES accessory. I've barely used the fan but I don't think it adds much weight. It is still cold her so maybe it'll be useful in the summer. You can feel it blowing and even at max speed I can't hear it over game audio. I had thought I might use it to help combat motion sickness since blowing a fan at yourself helps, but getting prescription lenses seems to have largely solved that for me anyway.

though 'less dumb' is relative here since everyone looks like an idiot in a vr helmet

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think unless you're single and childless you can only go so far in vr. this is not a judgement, if only for a day i'd love to be the guy in the full vibrating suit on the frictionless treadmill

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Al! posted:

i think unless you're single and childless you can only go so far in vr. this is not a judgement, if only for a day i'd love to be the guy in the full vibrating suit on the frictionless treadmill

The actual truth is that VR is gonna be like how video games were for us, the older generation was out of touch and thought they were dumb and a waste of time but kids won't care and will grow up using it and it'll be no big deal to use it as adults

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Lemming posted:

The actual truth is that VR is gonna be like how video games were for us, the older generation was out of touch and thought they were dumb and a waste of time but kids won't care and will grow up using it and it'll be no big deal to use it as adults

oh yeah you're definitely right about that. the thing about all those squeeky kids in those multiplayer lobbies is that they're going to all become adults faster than we realize and a lot of them are probably not going to put down vr as like, their primary gaming console

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FuzzySlippers posted:

. Something about that straight on profile photo just exaggerates the extra plastic to look like the worst third party NES accessory.

You nailed what I was trying to articulate!

That being said I might try it, never tried a halo mount for the quest and it sounds worth a shot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-lfpi57uEk
To be released on March 8th.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://blog.playstation.com/2024/0...rhood-and-more/
"Also, we’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5. We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates."

Some people will be happy!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

i guess that'll be done by streaming to the PS5, rather than being able to plug the PSVR2 straight into a PC

even if they wanted to allow the latter, which they don't because they want you to have a PS5, they backed themselves into a corner with the weird virtuallink setup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

repiv posted:

even if they wanted to allow the latter, which they don't because they want you to have a PS5, they backed themselves into a corner with the weird virtuallink setup

Eh, Microsoft put out a kit for the Kinect on PC which basically had a breakout cable that adapts their proprietary cord back into USB and power. No reason Sony can't handle that if they care.