Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Jack Black makes sense. He's playing the annoying robot that all the characters hate.

Kevin Hart is playing the straight man of the movie.

Let a guy escape his typecasting ffs. Lots of close-ups + an apple box or two and baby you’ve got a leading man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Sony Pictures is my favorite studio, just a pantheon of movies that are so bad they have no entertainment value whatsoever

e: oh this is Lionsgate, they're a close second

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

sinnesloeschen posted:

like if some drooling moron in the studio reads that and doesnt say 'hey a superhero movie that might suck less and is also anti-comic book' but i guess DC already covered that with bane

i want to see a man in a monkey costume wearing a suit waiting for an interview with spiderman for a sidekick gig lose their poo poo after getting the 'unfortunately we went with another candidate' email

Give the Venture Brothers crew a superhero franchise.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

As a videogame maker (not that one thank god) I'm perpetually amazed by what small amounts of novelty can eventually spin itself off into even after years of not doing anything worthwhile.

BL1 was a boilerplate looter shooter, which stood out by being relatively early to the market and a had trailer with an extremely catchy song. No one had mouths though, and there really wasn't any story. It was a barebones affair. The trailer alone financed another game, not really the game itself.

So for BL2 they hired a voice actor for their villain that went off the loving rails (Dameon Clarke). The head writer (Matt Armstrong) hated him, hated his improv lines, tried to get him fired, failed, and eventually left the studio himself in a whiny huff after reception for Dameon's Handsome Jack character was far better received than anything else going on in BL2.

That's the spark, though. The New Thing. People expected looting, shooting, and whacky hijinx, but the fact that Jack went super hard was surprising and amusing.

Gearbox has been chasing that high ever since, to no avail. A decade+ and several major titles and minor DLC releases later, and no one really gives a poo poo.

But I'm convinced this movie wouldn't exist if it wasn't for a particularly bored Canadian voice actor just riffing in the studio. Cate Blanchett had to be briefed by her publicist as to what the gently caress this IP even is because of that. So much was set in motion.

All of this to say that, like making movies or whatever, making games has many people involved and many moving parts (duh). But real magic can come from anywhere, and real talent comes from seeing it and embracing it. Gearbox letting Clarke do his thing and releasing the game with his 500+ extra bullshit lines in your ear was the magic that few studios ever find, and fewer find a second time.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

That movie is loving doomed though

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

sure okay posted:

As a videogame maker (not that one thank god) I'm perpetually amazed by what small amounts of novelty can eventually spin itself off into even after years of not doing anything worthwhile.

BL1 was a boilerplate looter shooter, which stood out by being relatively early to the market and a had trailer with an extremely catchy song. No one had mouths though, and there really wasn't any story. It was a barebones affair. The trailer alone financed another game, not really the game itself.

So for BL2 they hired a voice actor for their villain that went off the loving rails (Dameon Clarke). The head writer (Matt Armstrong) hated him, hated his improv lines, tried to get him fired, failed, and eventually left the studio himself in a whiny huff after reception for Dameon's Handsome Jack character was far better received than anything else going on in BL2.

That's the spark, though. The New Thing. People expected looting, shooting, and whacky hijinx, but the fact that Jack went super hard was surprising and amusing.

Gearbox has been chasing that high ever since, to no avail. A decade+ and several major titles and minor DLC releases later, and no one really gives a poo poo.

But I'm convinced this movie wouldn't exist if it wasn't for a particularly bored Canadian voice actor just riffing in the studio. Cate Blanchett had to be briefed by her publicist as to what the gently caress this IP even is because of that. So much was set in motion.

All of this to say that, like making movies or whatever, making games has many people involved and many moving parts (duh). But real magic can come from anywhere, and real talent comes from seeing it and embracing it. Gearbox letting Clarke do his thing and releasing the game with his 500+ extra bullshit lines in your ear was the magic that few studios ever find, and fewer find a second time.

:lol: guess what character is confirmed as not being in the movie

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

John is the only one who had an interesting life, tho.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol Jack Black is playing Claptrap? Randy must still absolutely hate David Eddings guts since they keep recasting the role with worse and worse replacements.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I never played borderlands but that randy guy always sounded like a complete psycho. I do wish him luck strangling the "game adaptations are the new super heroes" future in the cradle with this one

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Oh wow I didn't know paul rudd was an actor. I mean, you know, like a real one

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That baffling A24 Alex Garland movie about a civil war where California and Texas team up to fight the East Coast released a second trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBEEDOm2O5E

It does not answer any of the obvious questions raised by the premise.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol Jack Black is playing Claptrap? Randy must still absolutely hate David Eddings guts since they keep recasting the role with worse and worse replacements.

I can't believe it took this long for randy pitchford to ruin another thread I frequent

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

No Mods No Masters posted:

I never played borderlands but that randy guy always sounded like a complete psycho. I do wish him luck strangling the "game adaptations are the new super heroes" future in the cradle with this one

Google randy pitchford's usb drive for a wild story

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1760016790195716146?t=XFWGJe85poras_htS9P7iA&s=19

Huh.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

That baffling A24 Alex Garland movie about a civil war where California and Texas team up to fight the East Coast released a second trailer

A nuke hits the Bay Area, killing millions (of Democrats), California’s massive republican population turns the state red in the next election. Civil Wars starts so Texas and California team up as the two massive wealthy Republican states vs East Coast Libs. Bing bang bong so simple

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Sony is buying the Disney Vault.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Endless Trash posted:

A nuke hits the Bay Area, killing millions (of Democrats), California’s massive republican population turns the state red in the next election. Civil Wars starts so Texas and California team up as the two massive wealthy Republican states vs East Coast Libs. Bing bang bong so simple

But which side is Iron Man on for this remake?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It makes sense, disney have laid off a lot of their physical media people and probably want to close it out completely. They can outsource it to the failing sony corporation as a half measure until the dreamed of digital only future is complete

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

No Mods No Masters posted:

i have played borderlands and i also think randy seems like a psycho

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

i mean the whole point of the movie is "this is something that should only happen to foreigners, not americans" what questions could possibly matter with that idiotic premise

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Mega64 posted:

But which side is Iron Man on for this remake?

RDJ, like many Hollywood movie stars, is hanged until dead in the Cleansing of Rancho Palos Verdes

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i mean the whole point of the movie is "this is something that should only happen to foreigners, not americans" what questions could possibly matter with that idiotic premise

Does President Ron Swanson still pardon the turkey on Thanksgiving or does he hang it for being a traitor?

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Lmao looking forward to Sony destroying physical media AND Disney in one go. I don't know how, maybe every disc will have song of the south or Morbius on it instead of the lion king or whatever's on the cover.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Speaking of Sony and physical media turns out this just came out!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CPD2V35M

Honestly Disney just letting Sony handle their home releases is probably the best outcome for us. They’ve been pretty solid

Edit: lmao

https://x.com/jaybauman1/status/1760030455607259440?s=46&t=nGLHvHjFd0Mgr2TKVx4enQ

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 20, 2024

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

lol this is going to be an enormous turd

Kevin Hart as Roland is some wild poo poo

The list for that casting definitely started with Idris Elba and I wonder how many names you have to cross out to get to loving Kevin Hart

Cate blanchett should not have been cast for a character that looks like she's in her 20s in game

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lol jack black as the annoying high pitched robot

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Who the gently caress casted this poo poo? Randy himself?

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HZJWMN7WbA

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
One of the best clips of all time

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Jack Black Clap Trap
Jack Black Clap Trap
Jack Black Clap Trap
Jack Black Clap Trap
JACK BLACK CLAP TRA-

Vakal
May 11, 2008

sure okay posted:

The trailer alone financed another game, not really the game itself.

Also the money Gearbox took for Aliens: Colonel Marines went straight into BL2.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PostNouveau posted:

eyyy, I'm united ovah heah

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I played borderlands 3 with a buddy for an hour and I wanted to die. idk about the previous entries but it was like joss whedon made a video game

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Jamie Lee Curtis is the most likely actor to have actually played borderlands. She went to evo dressed as Vega (or as we true gamers like to call him "claw")

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

kalel posted:

I played borderlands 3 with a buddy for an hour and I wanted to die. idk about the previous entries but it was like joss whedon made a video game
Yeah, the dialogue is loving intolerable

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Flinger posted:

Jamie Lee Curtis is the most likely actor to have actually played borderlands. She went to evo dressed as Vega (or as we true gamers like to call him "claw")

She also officiated her daughter’s wedding dressed as a WOW character. The brides were dressed as Elphelt Valentine and Squiggly.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.
Never forget Jamie Lee Curtis complained extensively and repeatedly that Coldplay were too punk rock because their shows started after 5pm.

She is a cringe elemental.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
why is cate blanchett in borderlands the movie? does she think the ending of tar was real?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kalel posted:

"No one can ever shut up for even a second" seemed to be the guiding principle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kingo Ligma posted:

Never forget Jamie Lee Curtis complained extensively and repeatedly that Coldplay were too punk rock because their shows started after 5pm.

She is a cringe elemental.

Oh come on, she must of been joking right? Right???