Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I've been having pretty good luck with a shotgun/Stalwart combo. Shotguns in this game feel so good and you can peel the weapons right off the robots if you have enough distance between you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

JosefStalinator posted:

Is this going to boot the idlers?

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

those look like good fixes so far, nice

however, looks like theres no afk kicking?

nothing yet on that front though they've said it's something they're discussing

nothing about raising the user cap either so i'd guess they're mostly focused on optimising the backend since that's reportedly the main bottleneck at the moment

as other users have said, that's not likely a quick fix and could take a while yet

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

idiotsavant posted:

that's what the EAT is for imo. Similar strike power to a recoilless rifle/spear round but also keeps your backpack slot open. Also summon is super easy to remember and it has almost no delay to the point that you can almost use it to pod-drop chargers. Really nice when you're scrambling hard and having the short cooldown means if you die and lose it or if you lose track of where it landed you'll get another set up pretty quick

The javelin hits harder imo, and I've also used it to find heavies in smoke or spores.

Point it where we're walking, "uh my missiles trying to lock onto something that away"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

patch just dropped

Matchmaking, both quickplay and intentionally picking lobbies, does seem to work a lot better now. But in the same breath I can't seem to join friends' games through Steam anymore :suicide:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

AFAIK it's an unlisted bot condition that can show up on higher difficulty levels. There's no way to know if it's active before the mission starts. It's dumb.

Yes there is. When you're on the globe picking a map, in the bottom right corner there are the map modifiers listed. (I think you can hit C to see them, they are hidden by default iirc, it just shows the number of modifiers.)

Having blown myself up with a random strategem knowing I could have checked, I was told it's skill issue and I don't disagree. :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Honestly a good light armor solo commando with a jet pack is a real boon for boosting rewards/completion.

Just jets around, calls in some air strikes on outposts while the rest of the team does the real heavy lifting. With the right loadout (2 flavors of explosive airstrikes to destroy outposts, a sentry, and a jet pack) they can really help the team out. Gets harder if the team isn't willing to give them a more powerful weapon in case a charger or something catches their scent but that's why God invented gatling sentries!

jokes fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Typical Pubbie posted:

The primary weapons can be split into two categories. Weapons that are intended to be used mainly in third-person are good. Weapons that are balanced with ADS in mind are mediocre or bad.

Speaking of which I used the Slugger shotgun last night for a few runs with the bots and while staggering mid-sized bots is nice it has a ridiculous amount of sway to the point of being almost unusable for anything farther than an arm's length away. Diligence has less hitting power, sure, but it's way crisper to use and way more useful when you can actually pop the scout robots before they get a flare off when they're 75m out. Maybe takes a few more shots to kill a Berserker if you're just spraying & praying but almost same amount if you can aim ok since you can actually aim enough to hit things.

CainFortea posted:

The javelin hits harder imo, and I've also used it to find heavies in smoke or spores.

Point it where we're walking, "uh my missiles trying to lock onto something that away"

I need to get better at checking it regularly but you can use radar to do this, too - heavies show as larger dots. It makes the UAV Radar booster and the scout suits actually useful

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 20, 2024

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

dev claiming today's patch includes prep for increased server load so that's encouraging
https://twitter.com/Pilestedt/status/1760018663396999420

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
drat i just got in a game before midnight EST, this is the first time since I got the game

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Alkydere posted:

I feel both EAT and Supply Pack while not maybe S Tier get sorely under-rated by a lot of people. Yes they're not Big Shiny but having two rocket launchers on a short cooldown, or a dude carrying resupply, are both game changers. Especially if that dude realizes he can call down an actual resupply and carry any unused packs in his backpack for later.

With EATs you fertilize the map with heavy weapon locations anyone can use in a pinch on an extremely short cooldown, a very good thing to do. I feel like the Railgun is strictly better for longer and larger engagements, but EATs work very well against armour and people should carry anti-armour ( whether a railgun/autocannon/EAT or strategem ) starting at 4/5 to make their lives significantly easier.

Supply pack is a godsend for higher levels where you burn through ammo like crazy.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think the reason the bots are kicking our rear end is because for whatever insanely stupid reason, the only defense mission available at the lowest levels is the rescue 30 scientists one, which is nightmarishly hard compared to every other mission for new divers and almost impossible to solo

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think the reason the bots are kicking our rear end is because for whatever insanely stupid reason, the only defense mission available at the lowest levels is the rescue 30 scientists one, which is nightmarishly hard compared to every other mission for new divers and almost impossible to solo

the main problem i'm finding is that pubbies simply don't know to press the buttons

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Bots you want a different loadout vs bugs, you want to snipe the factories from afar if you can. If they have mortars and jammers at a heavy factory its not a great time :smithicide:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kazinsal posted:

It was fine. Neat concept, decent execution, fun to play with friends, but absolutely zero staying power. My friends group got about three weeks out of it, because its replayability drops off a cliff after about that long. You've done everything there is to do, seen everything there is to see, poo poo yourself in all the ways you can poo poo yourself.

Its got a lot of REALLY good mods and it uses the thunderstore mod manager which makes it trivial for everyone to play together with them, which helps a lot. My group is still playing it every week, and honestly I can see going back to it for years just because the fundamentals are so good (its sound design execution was WAY better than decent)

Theres apparently a major content upgrade in the pipeline.

Helldivers news, I finally got to play with randoms for a couple matches today, was so much fun to not be solo again.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 20, 2024

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

the main problem i'm finding is that pubbies simply don't know to press the buttons

I somehow got into a game with 2 pubbies doing a medium extract mission.

These two brain geniuses drops minefields all over where the civilian doors are

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
EAT is great, recoilless is great if you aren't planning on taking any backpacks (but you should because rover and shield are game changers)

My loadout once hitting level 20 and max hangar has been railgun/shield/500KG bomb, with the final slot for whatever since you got all your bases covered, sometimes smoke drops, sometimes turrets, mines, orbital, on egg destroying missions I find a grenade launcher drop to be really handy to have available to close a bunch of holes and destroy egg clusters without having to stop moving before picking up the railgun again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You’re the first person I’ve seen praise the light MG. Most people ignore it or think (perhaps rightly) it should be a primary like in HD1. It seems ok but do you really feel it’s worth a stratagem slot?

I had considered trying it but once I hear it only has light penetration I kinda figured it was better to grab the other MG instead.

I think it's fantastic for bugs. You basically never run out of ammo and anything that isn't armored is a non threat. also you can kill like 50 bugs before having to reload thanks to the 250 round mag. I don't feel like the other MG is good enough at armor penetration to offset it's disadvantages. When I was running Stalwart/Laser pack/gatling turret I was cracking close to 1000 kills per round sometimes.

I don't use it as much now because we are up to difficulty 7 and armored poo poo is so common I kind of feel like I have to use the railgun now (this game needs more anti armor stuff tbh) but I still consider it one of the best weapons. Also it's just satisfying as hell to shoot.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CainFortea posted:

These two brain geniuses drops minefields all over where the civilian doors are

There was that 24hour period where every single person got incendiary mines for free as a strategem

Those were dark times

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

They were very bright times actually, on account of everything was on fire.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Back to rotting in an endless queue, sucking infinite dog dick. Actually, a queue would be nice, this looping retry thing just doesn't feel good. Something like the FFXIV dialog that makes you feel like you have your place in line is so much less demoralizing.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I'm curious about what future content Arrowhead is planning, especially with the game's runaway success and the news they're hiring additional staff. I loved the first game, but did feel burnt out on the content after a few weeks of, admittedly, avid playing. The sequel similarly has its hooks in me and raids or GTA-heist-style operations are pretty appealing. HD1 had the enemy homeworld boss missions at the end of wars, which I'm assuming we'll see soon. I didn't play long enough to see if end game content was eventually added.

Of the three original factions, Illuminates were my least favorite. I can't say I miss them or am itching to see them return, but they were definitely a unique playstyle. I wonder what they'll come up with that aren't just reskins of the bugs melee hordes or bots ranged attacks.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

the mg's are fun as hell but yeah they're going to need armor pen to make them viable at higher difficulties

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
The turrets seem to still be holding up. Did around 5 suicidal missions (level 7 I believe) in a group. Top 2 in kills repeatedlt, barely any deaths outside of someone bombing me despite me using grenades to kill the various camps or me sacrificing myself (valiantly I might add) after I ran out of all ammo and bought time for my comrades to restock.
Or maybe they just ran, I don't know lol

It's fun. It's hard. It's loving nuts but I love it. Wish I had more deployment slot of gear I could bring!!!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

dev claiming today's patch includes prep for increased server load so that's encouraging

Finally, the streamers wont go hungry...

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Leal posted:

Finally, the streamers wont go hungry...

They can switch to delivering food while they wait

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

This isn't just a dev, that's the creative director and company CEO!

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Harlock posted:

This is a AAA game. "AAA I'm being overwhelmed by bugs!!"

Games> Helldivers 2 - This is a AAA game. "AAA I'm being overwhelmed by bugs!!"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flint_Paper posted:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

that has been the only mission ive been able to play. I figured id be fine since i was at difficulty 1, but drat, the drops were nonstop and it took me way too long to realize I had to rescue people from the same building and not clear out other buildings. solo too cause the reinforcement beacon did not call in any other divers for me. barely failed it, rescued like 21 out of 24 needed

i did manage to extract after time ran out, used up all my ammo and was pretty hectic and fun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
last night i took no damage from an explosion directly but the force of it shot me head first into a wall and i crumpled and died from the impact

it ruled

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Dinosaurs! posted:

I'm curious about what future content Arrowhead is planning, especially with the game's runaway success and the news they're hiring additional staff. I loved the first game, but did feel burnt out on the content after a few weeks of, admittedly, avid playing. The sequel similarly has its hooks in me and raids or GTA-heist-style operations are pretty appealing. HD1 had the enemy homeworld boss missions at the end of wars, which I'm assuming we'll see soon. I didn't play long enough to see if end game content was eventually added.

Of the three original factions, Illuminates were my least favorite. I can't say I miss them or am itching to see them return, but they were definitely a unique playstyle. I wonder what they'll come up with that aren't just reskins of the bugs melee hordes or bots ranged attacks.

illuminates were nice for not having quite as much mandatory antitank but the reversed controls and wall balls could be pretty infuriating.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

helldivers 2 many bugs not enough servers

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

the illuminate teleporting snipers are going to be FUN

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Is there a discrepancy with US and Europe with the server stuff? Me and all my Europe buddies haven’t had much of an issue. Sometimes waiting 20 mins to get in the game but that’s about it.

Anyway, two cool things. One is mortar turrets. Really bad against bugs but absolutely awesome vs.bots. I love planting one before we hit a big base and watch it soften things up before we arrive.

Also had a cool moment of a different kind today. Playing with 2 pubbies I decided to loop back and grab some dropped samples while they went for the evac. They activate it just as I get my sweet samples and I’m so far still undetected. I’m sprinting across the map and boy howdy it’s gonna be tight. I notice a big patrol that’s pretty much going to cross my path and see me but don’t really have time to slow down. poo poo!!!! I chuck a grenade as far to my right as I can (the direction they were coming from) to try and distract them and it works; they turn to investigate while I slip right on by. Get to the evac point and the team are suffering. There’s a gulley full of bots, including 4 walkers, so run up it right behind the bots, blasting the whole time and emerge from a smoking pile of bot to dive into the evac and fly away victorious. God drat games sooo fuckin good

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Flint_Paper posted:

:emptyquote:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that has been the only mission ive been able to play. I figured id be fine since i was at difficulty 1, but drat, the drops were nonstop and it took me way too long to realize I had to rescue people from the same building and not clear out other buildings. solo too cause the reinforcement beacon did not call in any other divers for me. barely failed it, rescued like 21 out of 24 needed

i did manage to extract after time ran out, used up all my ammo and was pretty hectic and fun

Yeah, having played a wider variety of missions now, I'm realizing that my perception of the difficulty was pretty skewed because I unlocked difficulty 3, figured I'd give the robot enemies a try, went into one of those missions with my more-or-less starter gear, and thought "wow difficulty 3 is really a jump up, huh"

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Marlow posted:

Found another gem:

He wants to be compensated for a service he explicitly has not provided

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jakabite posted:

Is there a discrepancy with US and Europe with the server stuff? Me and all my Europe buddies haven’t had much of an issue. Sometimes waiting 20 mins to get in the game but that’s about it.

Assuming you are playing in the evening your time that means you're playing it when the least amount of people are trying to play it. Things really get hosed during the evening on the east coast US times. As seen on the chart below.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a buddy and i are considering picking this up. do missions dynamically adjust to account for how many people drop, or will we need to look for pubbies/goons to round things out? usually we like games we can keep to a duo so we can complain about our lives more easily while we play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thumbtacks posted:

He wants to be compensated for a service he explicitly has not provided

Right but he wants to provide it, and just FYI he would have made $10mm if he could have played the game so he’ll take that via check or money order