Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I've seen one in the wild a few months back

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I remember a video by Tom Scott of a part of highway in Germany (?) where they were testing a prototype electric truck that had a pantograph like a train to get power so it wouldn't need a big battery.

But it's probably pretty old at this point, no idea what the experiment concluded in the end, if it's viable.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
There's been some experiments with electrified roads in various places in Europe yeah. Here in Sweden there was a two kilometer highway test track with overhead power lines and truck-mounted pantographs active between 2016 and 2020. It was a very small scale tech demonstrator that was supposed to be followed up with a much more ambitious and more realistic pilot project on a 20 km stretch of highway with construction starting this year, but that project was put on indefinite hold in late 2023. There was a whole bunch of concepts the Transport Administration wanted to do in a full scale realistic environment. Primarily they wanted to try out some different power delivery systems - overhead power lines, two different types of road surface rails, and some inductive nonsense - but they also wanted to work out things like debiting and access control solutions. The plans were at a fairly advanced stage, they'd secured access to land for the substations and their service roads, done all the environmental reviews and presented plans to local councils etc, they had complete engineering plans ready to go and budget allocated, but then all the construction bids turned out to be way more expensive than budgeted so the project was put on hold for the time being. I don't know what's going to happen to it now. It was intended to be permanent though, not just a demonstrator that would be torn down after the study was complete.

There's a project plan PDF here if someone happens to be interested, but it's in Swedish, of course.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Feb 19, 2024

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

TuxedoOrca posted:

I remember a video by Tom Scott of a part of highway in Germany (?) where they were testing a prototype electric truck that had a pantograph like a train to get power so it wouldn't need a big battery.

But it's probably pretty old at this point, no idea what the experiment concluded in the end, if it's viable.

The tests ran from 2019 to 2022. And they were pretty much declared a failure. The catenary needed more maintenance then people expected and the trucks never charged reliably.
And the rising electricity prices meant that the expensive trucks would never be financially cheaper.
https://www.tagesschau.de/wirtschaft/energie/lkw-klimaneutral-lastwagen-100.html

Though, I do get most of my deliveries per electric delivery truck. And the small mail per e-trike.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TheFluff posted:

There's been some experiments with electrified roads in various places in Europe yeah. Here in Sweden there was a two kilometer highway test track with overhead power lines and truck-mounted pantographs active between 2016 and 2020. It was a very small scale tech demonstrator that was supposed to be followed up with a much more ambitious and more realistic pilot project on a 20 km stretch of highway with construction starting this year, but that project was put on indefinite hold in late 2023. There was a whole bunch of concepts the Transport Administration wanted to do in a full scale realistic environment. Primarily they wanted to try out some different power delivery systems - overhead power lines, two different types of road surface rails, and some inductive nonsense - but they also wanted to work out things like debiting and access control solutions. The plans were at a fairly advanced stage, they'd secured access to land for the substations, done all the environmental reviews and presented plans to local councils etc, they had complete engineering plans ready to go and budget allocated, but then all the construction bids turned out to be way more expensive than budgeted so the project was put on hold for the time being. I don't know what's going to happen to it now. It was intended to be permanent though, not just a demonstrator that would be torn down after the study was complete.

There's a project plan PDF here if someone happens to be interested, but it's in Swedish, of course.

Ansaldo designed a single electrified rail system for bus usage and in 1998 made a test track in my town under the Stream project but it failed to take into account trivial stuff like thermal expansion under load. They never went beyond early demos but are now trying to sell a more modern variant under the TramWave branding.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
In my opinion that concept gets so complex and expensive that you're way better off investing in electrified rail infrastructure, but there's a limit to that as well.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Has anyone built an electric bike with a pantograph

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
For things with rubber tires you need two pantographs or trolley poles (trains use the rails as the neutral conductor). Seems hard to fit on a bike :smith:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Yesterday morning I woke up to discover that the battery in the subaru was dead, so we had to take the ID.4 up to the mountains instead for my daughter's weekly ski camp. Thankfully we got on the road early enough to avoid most of the traffic and also snag one of the EV chargers they have in the front row of the parking lot, which was super clutch. Since I hadn't originally planned to take the EV, it was only charged to 80% - By the time we had parked it was down to 35% remaining as it was 10 degrees F when we got up there.

By the time we left, it had been charged back up to about 70%, and driving home in regen braking mode used only about 6% of the battery for the whole return trip

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nice! Now you’ve proven you can do it without needing to charge. Save gas/money on the next trip.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Going away for work this afternoon and returning Thursday, debating plugging in my PHEV but disabling charging (it’s at about 33% now) and then just enabling it on the app when I get back late at night Thursday or just leaving it unplugged. Probably will just leave unplugged.

It’s too new still to park at airport lots so just ubering :haw:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Wayne Knight posted:

Nice! Now you’ve proven you can do it without needing to charge. Save gas/money on the next trip.

True. I figured it would be springtime before we would try this out, as I would still prefer to drive the Subaru during the winter since it has Blizzak snow tires on, whereas the VW only has the all-seasons that it came with.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Welp, just had my first awful Electrify America experience today.

I just returned from a beach trip with some friends. Our rental house was at the upper limit of my Ioniq 6's range.

There is absolutely no CCS fast charging anywhere near the beach town (WTF? It's a tourist destination!), so I planned on charging at the halfway point and using my 120v charger at the rental house to ensure I could make it back to the charging station. Driving down wasn't too bad; one of the four chargers at the EA station was dead, but another worked fine.

But coming home... I arrived at the EA station, and there were three other EVs parked there, with only one plugged in. The other drivers said it was the only working charger, and sure enough, the other three refused to start charging no matter what anyone tried.

So I waited in "line" for the working charger for nearly 90 minutes, including 45 minutes where some dingus just HAD to charge his PHEV from 0%-80% at 45 kW. There was a gas station literally 500 feet away. Fuuuuuck.

While waiting, I called EA support, which was as helpful as you'd predict. "Yes, we have a few maintenance tickets on this station but can't help you from here and can't promise a fix time." She did mention that one ticket was over a week old, so who knows when any of them will get fixed. Great!

The fiasco added nearly two hours to my trip, but I didn't have much other choice. The next nearest CCS charger was another EA station 60 miles up the road, and the app was showing "2 of 4" working, with the other two "In use". It was a bit out of my way, so if I'd stopped there and it was broken, I couldn't have made it home.

Obligatory "gently caress he-who-shall-not-be-named", but god will it be nice if/when when I can use Superchargers. They're all over the place down here.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 20, 2024

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

WhiteHowler posted:

So I waited in "line" for the working charger for nearly 90 minutes, including 45 minutes where some dingus just HAD to charge his PHEV from 0%-80% at 45 kW. There was a gas station literally 500 feet away. Fuuuuuck.

Wait, besides the BMW i3 with a range extender and apparently Range Rovers for some stupid loving reason, there are PHEV with CCS?

I guess I could see it making sense in some EXTREMELY specific use cases, like say a fleet truck that spends 99% of it's time in-town but occasionally needs to be sent to other service areas I can't see how charging a PHEV on CCS would make any financial sense whatsover.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Also aren't the batteries on most PHEVs on the small side? A quick google says the average size is 21 kWh, which ramming 45 kW into up to 80% seems like not the greatest idea for longevity...

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Aging Wheels is excited about Aptera

https://youtu.be/DDmeqLEB9c0?si=cHGpAbgPieYQh-yS

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I doubt they were getting even close to 45kW - if they were they wouldn't have been at the charger for so long.

Last trip I did I ended up waiting at a 2 bay 50kW site behind an older Outlander which was trying to go to 100% (at like 6kW on the CHAdeMO connector) and a Model Y that was also going to 100% - extremely frustrating.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

WhiteHowler posted:

Must be friends with the dude at my job who keeps his Prius Prime plugged in for 8 hours at a go, 7 of which it's just hogging the spot.

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yesterday morning I woke up to discover that the battery in the subaru was dead, so we had to take the ID.4 up to the mountains instead for my daughter's weekly ski camp. Thankfully we got on the road early enough to avoid most of the traffic and also snag one of the EV chargers they have in the front row of the parking lot, which was super clutch. Since I hadn't originally planned to take the EV, it was only charged to 80% - By the time we had parked it was down to 35% remaining as it was 10 degrees F when we got up there.

By the time we left, it had been charged back up to about 70%, and driving home in regen braking mode used only about 6% of the battery for the whole return trip

I'm charging coming back from a mountain trip right now, ID's the prefect size for 3 people + gear.

No pic cause Imgur's being poo poo.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Three Olives posted:

Wait, besides the BMW i3 with a range extender and apparently Range Rovers for some stupid loving reason, there are PHEV with CCS?

I guess I could see it making sense in some EXTREMELY specific use cases, like say a fleet truck that spends 99% of it's time in-town but occasionally needs to be sent to other service areas I can't see how charging a PHEV on CCS would make any financial sense whatsover.
I didn't recognize the car model, it was a sedan or hatchback and I only saw it from the side. Could have been a BMW?

I assumed it was a full EV but the driver asked what I was driving, and I told him, and he asked "Is that a full EV?". When I said yes, he mentioned he didn't have the "balls" to go full EV so his was a plug-in hybrid with a something-something liter gas engine.

It was definitely using the same CCS plug I used, and mine charged at 150 kW. I could see the display from my driver's seat - his charge read 45 kW most of the time (unless it was 4.5 kW?). He started at 0% and went to 80% over about 48 minutes. I very distinctly remember watching it as I grew more and more frustrated and impatient.

Anyway, as annoyed as I was with that dude, I'm doubly annoyed with Electrify America. What a shitshow that was.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

WhiteHowler posted:

I didn't recognize the car model, it was a sedan or hatchback and I only saw it from the side. Could have been a BMW?

I assumed it was a full EV but the driver asked what I was driving, and I told him, and he asked "Is that a full EV?". When I said yes, he mentioned he didn't have the "balls" to go full EV so his was a plug-in hybrid with a something-something liter gas engine.

It was definitely using the same CCS plug I used, and mine charged at 150 kW. I could see the display from my driver's seat - his charge read 45 kW most of the time (unless it was 4.5 kW?). He started at 0% and went to 80% over about 48 minutes. I very distinctly remember watching it as I grew more and more frustrated and impatient.

Anyway, as annoyed as I was with that dude, I'm doubly annoyed with Electrify America. What a shitshow that was.

that sounds like the bmw with range extender

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Celexi posted:

that sounds like the bmw with range extender

I think OP would know if it was an i3. OP have you looked at a pic of an i3 to compare? It’s a pretty unique looking car.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

trilobite terror posted:

I think OP would know if it was an i3. OP have you looked at a pic of an i3 to compare? It’s a pretty unique looking car.

The other one with a similar engine, the volt doesn't have a CCS plug

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

trilobite terror posted:

I'd recognize a BMW from the front in a second, but I'm terrible at identifying cars from the side. I have aphantasia so stuff like that is hard for me. I looked at a picture of an i3 and... It could have been? I remember noting that it had distinctive "swirly" wheels.

The guy didn't seem to be super well-versed on EVs. He talked like he didn't have a charger at home and always charged at public stations. As I mentioned, he was kind of a dingus, so I didn't talk to him very long and got back in my car to wait him out.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Mercedes has PHEV SUVs now with CCS as an option but I genuinely don’t understand why. It’s a 23kwh pack limited to 60kw charge speeds but I doubt it’d ever reach that.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Wayne Knight posted:

Neat! What are your home electricity rates? How much would it cost to charge the battery fully? (I don’t know how big the standard battery is).

When I get my lyriq it should cost me around $12 for a full charge.

$.12/kWh home.
Standard battery is 98kWh. About $12/charge and that is supposed to get me 200 miles but I have not been achieving that even with the heat off and very conservative driving.
That works out to roughly $.06/mile at best.

Conversely $3.80/gal for premium (on the high end of prices). 20-26 miles/gallon. 25ish gallons/tank. I get at least 500miles/tank even with my gas truck running as lovely as it was.
So, $95 (high estimate) per tank means about $.19/mile (or $.14 at 26mpg average).
I guess I am saving money. I must have math'd that wrong initially.

Furthermore, I have been charging for free at work this week. No clue why they're not $$charging$$ but I am not complaining. I get an SREC credit that I can sell on the state energy market every time my home usage falls below my solar panel's energy production. So not charging my truck could mean the difference between paying a power bill or pocketing $35.

Cactus Ghost posted:

why a truck? just wanted a truck? not being a wiseass, just curious since you only mentioned commuting
I can really only have one vehicle right now. My normal everyday use is just commuting 26 miles to/from work each way.
I do truck stuff pretty often, and unfortunately can't keep a trailer in my neighborhood. So, I'm stuck with a vehicle that has an open bed to do truck stuff like hauling motorcycles or going to the dump, transporting manure or trees, or getting construction materials. I haven't been camping or biking in a while (having babies kinda puts a damper on that), but I always enjoyed having a truck for those sorts of activities as well. Much more preferable to just dump all of your dirty camping/biking stuff into a truck bed rather than into the cabin of another sort of vehicle. If I could have two vehicles than a minivan or suv or wagon and a beater truck would have been fine.
But yeah, I've always had a truck of some sort, and since the chicken-tax makes it not economically viable to have a small truck, I'm stuck with big truck.

I don't disagree that trucks are much taller than they need to be nowadays, but I haven't had any issues with visibility.
To my knowledge I haven't ran over small children, or children of any size, or any humans or pets. I have had deer run into the side of my vehicle but I don't think having a shorter vehicle would have prevented that. I will say though, I do like the front facing camera in the Lightning, and I REALLY like that I can put up any of the camera views on my screen at any point, not just when reversing.

Vegetable posted:

Why can’t you just be open to the idea that someone might need a truck to transport a couch once every four years? :shrug:

Think of it this way, since I have a truck, that means all my my friends don't need their own trucks to move couches. So I'm actually saving the world from more trucks. It's a net positive :pseudo:

e: exhibit a.
I haven't even had the truck a week and it's already being used to help a friend of a friend renovate their house.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 20, 2024

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Mercedes has PHEV SUVs now with CCS as an option but I genuinely don’t understand why. It’s a 23kwh pack limited to 60kw charge speeds but I doubt it’d ever reach that.

I really don't get the design choices that lead to a 60kW charging capacity on a PHEV with a 23kWh battery. Like what's the use case here, other than justifying a big price.

I think my PHEV (18.3 kwh battery) can max out charging at like 6.8 kW, and that's just fine for occasionally charging it at home, office or at the mall.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Hi thread

(It was the wife's choice ok?)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You got it into the paint booth to fix the front, right?

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Hi thread

:sever:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NZAmoeba posted:

Hi thread

You could do a cool butterfly print kinda thing and stick on the front grill or something

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can really only have one vehicle right now. My normal everyday use is just commuting 26 miles to/from work each way.
I do truck stuff pretty often, and unfortunately can't keep a trailer in my neighborhood. So, I'm stuck with a vehicle that has an open bed to do truck stuff like hauling motorcycles or going to the dump, transporting manure or trees, or getting construction materials.

I have serious difficulty understanding the living circumstances where you regularily have to transport trees and manure and yet cannot keep a trailer.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

That Works posted:

You could do a cool butterfly print kinda thing and stick on the front grill or something

Like I just roadkilled Butterfree?

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

bad_fmr posted:

I have serious difficulty understanding the living circumstances where you regularily have to transport trees and manure and yet cannot keep a trailer.

HOA?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I would love to have a small trailer but the way my house is laid out there is no place to put it without blocking access to the garage. (Steep, narrow driveway)

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

For some people having a truck makes sense. Some of us have a truck *gasp* and a small EV we try to use as much as possible. It sucks they are so big and heavy but not everyone wrings their hands about every consumer choice.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
If he is actually regularly using a truck for truck things instead of just brodozering around in some douche lifted wheel spaced shitbox then who cares? I hate so called "light trucks" probably way more than the average truck hater and even I think this derail is stupid.

Just be happy some dude got a nice EV instead the alternatives that pollute way more. Blame the automakers for the rest.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
the one person that i spoke with in an electrify america station with a lighting once that had their truck bed and the rear seats filled with construction stuff said they liked their truck as they could store their tools in front and use the built in power of the truck.

I told them that it was nice that someone was using a truck for actual truck stuff instead of using it as a lifted sedan and they laughed saying " i know what you mean"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This may come as a surprise, but very few construction trades actually make use of a picture truck. Cargo vans are the default tool and supply carriers. And everyone who needs the extra seating capacity, will compromise by getting a pickup and then a designated trailer.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Celexi posted:

the one person that i spoke with in an electrify america station with a lighting once that had their truck bed and the rear seats filled with construction stuff said they liked their truck as they could store their tools in front and use the built in power of the truck.

I told them that it was nice that someone was using a truck for actual truck stuff instead of using it as a lifted sedan and they laughed saying " i know what you mean"

Did they join you in a fistbump three-way with a nearby homeless person?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Why buy a $2k acceleration boost when Aliexpress has this for like :10bux: