Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Gripweed posted:

I feel like this all could be solved by contracting out the manufacturing of shells to China. They got a ton of factories over there.
Well their ally is Russia so if they start cranking out artillery for sale it’s going to Russia. They’d have to do it on the down low. That’s already strongly suspected to be happening with some resources, chips or drones iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ain’t no way China wants to take payments in silver now that Iran has likely drained the entirety of Russian gold reserve off of lightly modified lawnmower engines and balsa drone kit shipments.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Speaking of drones :canada: is sending 100M worth of drones to Ukraine.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1759870991126126688#m

quote:

Propagandist Sladkov shows master-class of russian propaganda and proves that he has nothing to do with being a military reporter. He suggests celebrating Avdiivka "victory" by rounding up all surviving POWs and putting "cameras and monitors" up while they speak to their relatives.

He also suggests collecting all corpses in one pile and offer families one week to come and pick them up while televising it.

Truly a great apprentice of Goebbels, provided his own evidence for the Hague trial.
Normal country with normal people

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Intensely ironic that letting family members come to the front and collect bodies is still more compassionate compared to Russia disappearing their dead and stonewalling questions about where the missing soldiers are.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Huge, huge victory! They took over the bombed out shell of a city at the cost of thousands of lives! Surely this will boost us up in the polls!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1759974647888568441#m
They have so much free time they're trying to destabilize the Baltic states now?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ain’t no way China wants to take payments in silver now that Iran has likely drained the entirety of Russian gold reserve off of lightly modified lawnmower engines and balsa drone kit shipments.

That reported 1.something billion deal (including license and tech transfer) is only a bit over 1% of Russian gold reserves.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Shoigu claims Avdiivka was captured with minimal losses :blyat:

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Dwesa posted:

Shoigu claims Avdiivka was captured with minimal losses :blyat:

To be fair if Ukraine's allies had done what they should have and supplied more weapons this amount of losses would be considered minimal.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

weg posted:

To be fair if Ukraine's allies had done what they should have and supplied more weapons this amount of losses would be considered minimal.

sad but true

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Huge, huge victory! They took over the bombed out shell of a city at the cost of thousands of lives! Surely this will boost us up in the polls!

*Second bombed out shell of a city, and all within two years of their 3-day operation. A huge success!

At this rate they'll conquer the entire country within the next two centuries. And as I understood, the reinforced lines the UAF withdrew to are immediately behind the city limits, so great success indeed.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

shadow puppet of a posted:

China ought to take payment in Silver if only because it would be kind of funny to return to Ming era foreign trade policy.

In other news, Newsweek is saying that the battle of Avdiivka cost more Russia lives than the entire Soviet war in Afghanistan.

I must admit I do see these kinds of articles as trying to put a brave face on a bad situation for Ukraine, and I can see they are making two questionable decisions here by using Ukraine's estimates of Russian losses, as opposed to more impartial sources, and also taking the low end of Soviet deaths in Afghanistan. Even still, if the real number is a quarter of what's been claimed its indicative of how insanely costly this war is for all involved, its easily the worst war the entire Soviet and post-Soviet region has suffered since World War 2. I'm still on some level astonished that Putin decided to go through with this and make it his final and largest political move.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

khwarezm posted:

China ought to take payment in Silver if only because it would be kind of funny to return to Ming era foreign trade policy.

In other news, Newsweek is saying that the battle of Avdiivka cost more Russia lives than the entire Soviet war in Afghanistan.

I must admit I do see these kinds of articles as trying to put a brave face on a bad situation for Ukraine, and I can see they are making two questionable decisions here by using Ukraine's estimates of Russian losses, as opposed to more impartial sources, and also taking the low end of Soviet deaths in Afghanistan. Even still, if the real number is a quarter of what's been claimed its indicative of how insanely costly this war is for all involved, its easily the worst war the entire Soviet and post-Soviet region has suffered since World War 2. I'm still on some level astonished that Putin decided to go through with this and make it his final and largest political move.

If you thought Russia hiding their casualties here was bad, the depths they went to to obfuscate Afghantsy deaths was staggering.

Up until they stopped giving a poo poo entirely during the collapse of the Soviet Union and glasnost and perestroika did a number on revealing how bad the numbers were but nobody would ever know the real number or anywhere close to it because the Soviet Union perfected vranyo. What you see in Putin's Russia is degraded vranyo half-assed by a dictator who doesn't bother to maintain the veneer of legitimacy that the Soviets liked to keep up.

Edit: in 1988 the official Soviet numbers were 13,310 casualties KIA, 35,478 casualties WIA, and 311 MIA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...7-8f49730e541e/

The real number is somewhere between 86,470–98,017 depending on which figures you use.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 20, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

khwarezm posted:

I honestly dont think ukraine/west is exagerating that much about Russian losses, a bulk of the russian forces now are pernal legions or randos from the outer empire given at best like a month of training and then sent out to be canon fodder because russian doesnt give a gently caress about their servicemen and never did. its like the UK before the crimian war except russia never learned poo poo. the tactics have been just human wave and thunder run until you take the next trench.,

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
What was the German reporting like in WW1 after the Somme and 1917 offensives on the western front? Sure the British and French took a few miles of mud and shell holes, but at enormous cost that didn't change the front much beyond the height of some hills.

Because I feel like this is a near exact replay.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Comstar posted:

What was the German reporting like in WW1 after the Somme and 1917 offensives on the western front? Sure the British and French took a few miles of mud and shell holes, but at enormous cost that didn't change the front much beyond the height of some hills.

Because I feel like this is a near exact replay.

i mean the germans just lied about victories and losses much like russia until it all imploded, then they screamed that the commies and jews did it.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Well their ally is Russia so if they start cranking out artillery for sale it’s going to Russia. They’d have to do it on the down low. That’s already strongly suspected to be happening with some resources, chips or drones iirc.

And that is exactly why it would be interesting to ask them - maybe they would actually say yes in the interest of earning dollars, maybe they would claim to not have the capacity, maybe they would claim to be sadly busy making ammunition for their own purposes. All of those would be interesting in their own way.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I understand russia used untrained bodies in meat wave tactics against bakhmut, but actual soldiers with combat experience in meat wave tactics against avdiivka. What does that do to the sustainability equation? gently caress all, there's more where that came from, an election away?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Computer viking posted:

And that is exactly why it would be interesting to ask them - maybe they would actually say yes in the interest of earning dollars, maybe they would claim to not have the capacity, maybe they would claim to be sadly busy making ammunition for their own purposes. All of those would be interesting in their own way.

Weirdly, I think the most damning thing about the Russia/China relationship is how little concern other countries pay attention to it. If it was a thing, you'd have heard in business news it was a thing, the world is not peeling back goonpost after goonpost to find out what's happening with superpowers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

I understand russia used untrained bodies in meat wave tactics against bakhmut, but actual soldiers with combat experience in meat wave tactics against avdiivka. What does that do to the sustainability equation? gently caress all, there's more where that came from, an election away?

because they can always get "enough" meat if they dont throw people from the imperial core in.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Karate Bastard posted:

I understand russia used untrained bodies in meat wave tactics against bakhmut, but actual soldiers with combat experience in meat wave tactics against avdiivka.

"Actual soldiers" in the sense that they weren't convicts, but Avdiivka featured plenty of mobiks who went from conscripted to dead or captured within two months.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

soviet losses in afghanistan weren't really that bad.

sure they're shipping a lot of cargo 200 from afghanistan but don't worry about what that is it's fine everything is fine

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The tank isn't dead, there's still lots of use cases for "Thing That is Impervious To Small-arms Fire, Can Move Around Fast and has a Ton of Firepower". We've had flying tank-killers and powerful ground-based anti-tank weapons for over 80 years now, so most people have figured out long ago that you don't send tanks tooling around by themselves if you don't want to lose them. Sure, those things are better than they used to be, but that still doesn't mean the tank is dead as a weapon system, it just needs to be used slightly differently.

Yeah, I think I've written a few thousand words in defense of the tank, but generally all of the reports I've read for my job generally ask if we need tanks and are they too susceptible to modern munitions. The response is that drones, airpower, and ATGMs are grim opponents of tank warfare, but you will always need infantry to take and hold objectives, which is real hard to do purely on foot. They need to be motorized at the very least to keep them strategically and tactically flexible. You know what drones and missiles are even more effective against (not to mention any other weapon)? Trucks. Alright, let's just get lots of APCs and IFVs to ferry them around. Besides the myriad logistical issues, these vehicles are also susceptible to said weapons and if defeated, take a whole loving squad with them. Also, IFVs don't tend to have the kind of firepower to quickly dispatch hardpoints and... tanks. So, let's throw tanks in there. Now you have a vehicle with a suite of communications and optics as well as a gun that can fire a large amount of powerful munitions accurately up to several kilometers assisting your infantry in their mission.

Drones can't shoot easily shoot or spot enemies on the second floor of a five story building. Drones can be shot down, leaving infantry with whatever they're holding. Drones can't perform perimeter control as part of a mechanized unit or armored cavalry roles. Drones can't hold ground as an advance unit. But, they're still incredibly useful and most nations are incorporating drone control into their future tank designs.

There's a lot more, but tanks have a fundamental use in warfare that has no real replacement.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

how about a tank which is filled with drones. thank me later NATO.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
or how about this ..... a tank drone

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
theyve been working on it for 60 years. no large-scale deployments and no serious combat deployments yet. theres a lot of really tiny ground drones for city fighting, but like 5 feet tops. the problem's a lot harder than uav

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unmanned_ground_vehicle

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Adding a drone operator to a tank is actually being considered.

To take positions you need boots on the ground, and boots on the ground want the capability to point at a thing and have it turn into confetti pronto. As long as that role isn't filled by something else, bringing a large cannon to a gunfight is going to remain desirable. Airpower is too slow to react, drones lack the oomph and ammo, and soldiers aren't very good at carrying a L/55 120mm smoothbore around.

Or to put it another way, just as ATGM kill tanks, 7.62 kills soldiers. You don't see infantry-less armies just yet.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Swedish aid package to Ukraine reportedly includes 'subsurface weapons'. I know it's going to be something much more mundane, but this made me imagine a loaned Gotland-class crewed by Ukrainian sailors that they've been training in secret :sweden:

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

KREMLIN LEADER STRONG

KREMLIN LEADER WANT PANTS TOO

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

So some fresh units arrived in Donetsk from Sakhalin island in the far east near Japan, and a Russian Major General decided that he wanted them all lined up in an open field so he could give them some pep talk about how they are fighting against homonazis and unisex bathrooms or whatever. A HIMARS attack hit while they were standing together out in the open and wiped out at least two companies.

Not linking anything because there are dead bodies everywhere, but it's all over the usual sources.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
The Russian helicopter pilot who defected to Ukraine by flying his helicopter over the border in a pre-planned defection was shot to death in a parking garage in the Spanish coastal town of Villajoyosa. A very sad, but extremely unsurprising, outcome to a brave act.

quote:

Russian Foreign Intelligence Director Sergey Naryshkin would also not comment directly on Kuzminov’s death, but told reporters the defector had become “a moral corpse the moment he began planning his dirty and terrible crime,” Russia’s RIA Novosti reported.

Shortly after Kuzminov’s defection, Russian TV aired a segment about him on the “Vesti Nedeli” program, which carried a clear threat to the defector’s life. In the program, a reporter said that Russia’s own military intelligence agency had already received their order with regard to Kuzminov, adding that, “its fulfillment is only a matter of time.”

Later in the segment, a man in a military uniform, whose face is shown covered, says: “We can’t let such a thing go, we will punish him for such actions.”

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

hemale in pain posted:

how about a tank which is filled with drones. thank me later NATO.

places doing research into/mockups of possible future tank designs are already incorporating this. Several are being designed with the option to operate unmanned in the future. Doesn't guarantee they'll be selected, but it is under consideration.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

HonorableTB posted:

If you thought Russia hiding their casualties here was bad, the depths they went to to obfuscate Afghantsy deaths was staggering.

Up until they stopped giving a poo poo entirely during the collapse of the Soviet Union and glasnost and perestroika did a number on revealing how bad the numbers were but nobody would ever know the real number or anywhere close to it because the Soviet Union perfected vranyo. What you see in Putin's Russia is degraded vranyo half-assed by a dictator who doesn't bother to maintain the veneer of legitimacy that the Soviets liked to keep up.

Edit: in 1988 the official Soviet numbers were 13,310 casualties KIA, 35,478 casualties WIA, and 311 MIA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...7-8f49730e541e/

The real number is somewhere between 86,470–98,017 depending on which figures you use.

I can personally account for close to 22,000 of those Russian troops in Afghanistan: Venom Snake needed a shrapnel horn badly and got creative with gun customization :getin:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

HonorableTB posted:

The Russian helicopter pilot who defected to Ukraine by flying his helicopter over the border in a pre-planned defection was shot to death in a parking garage in the Spanish coastal town of Villajoyosa. A very sad, but extremely unsurprising, outcome to a brave act.

I see that even now, Russia is willing to Trotsky perceived enemy individuals abroad.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mistle posted:

I can personally account for close to 22,000 of those Russian troops in Afghanistan: Venom Snake needed a shrapnel horn badly and got creative with gun customization :getin:

metal gear?!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

It looks like Murz couldn't take it any more and seems to have checked himself out.

e: in other news, there goes another plane.
https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1760201961326969252#m

zone fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 21, 2024

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Another Fullback? I assume Ukraine is setting up Patriot ambushes but the regularity of it all is eyebrow raising.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Did anyone pick up the mantle after the guys at Oryx quit? I'm under the impression that Russian aircraft losses have really ticked up after a relative lull, but I have no way of checking if my gut feeling matches the numbers.

It would be a welcome development, given that huge glide bombs seem to have become the Russians' preferred way to dislodge Ukrainian defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Did anyone pick up the mantle after the guys at Oryx quit? I'm under the impression that Russian aircraft losses have really ticked up after a relative lull, but I have no way of checking if my gut feeling matches the numbers.

It would be a welcome development, given that huge glide bombs seem to have become the Russians' preferred way to dislodge Ukrainian defenders.

Jakub Janovsky (twitter handle Rebel44CZ) is continuing to tally up the visually confirmed losses