Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the mg's are fun as hell but yeah they're going to need armor pen to make them viable at higher difficulties

Make the big MG do armor pen, and make the stalwart a regular gun but reduce its ammo or whatever to put it more in line with others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

a buddy and i are considering picking this up. do missions dynamically adjust to account for how many people drop, or will we need to look for pubbies/goons to round things out? usually we like games we can keep to a duo so we can complain about our lives more easily while we play

The more people, the more and sometimes bigger enemies show up. Sometimes you get into trouble doing solo stuff, but you can manage it. If you're doing duos you'll be fine.

Still find more people to pay with though, going full crew of 4 opens up the opportunity for a lot more fun.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Volte posted:

Where's the "Helldivers 2 is a plucky indie success story" thing coming from? Arrowhead Games is a 100+ person company and the game was published by and funded by Sony over the course of nearly 8 years. I wouldn't be too surprised if we find out they're getting acquired by Sony soon.

A business with 100 headcount is very small.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

helldivers 2 many bugs not enough servers

Helldivers 2 - Many bots, left side! Handle it!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
How's trying to get in today? Did the new patch help at all?

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

The new patch upped the retry time on my Helldivers experience from 30 seconds to seemingly a random number between 45 and 55.

That wasn’t in the patch notes. To be honest, that might as well have been all that was in the patch notes.

(the answer is no)

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I had no problems getting in after the patch, but ymmv

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

wilderthanmild posted:

Getting "servers at capacity" right now, had a friend get in after the update that said he was able to quickplay and find other matches fine though so maybe once you actually get in it's better?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Flint_Paper posted:

Games> Helldivers 2 - This is a AAA game. "AAA I'm being overwhelmed by bugs!!"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I got in earlier as a test. Yeah everything seems to be working if you can actually make it in. I logged out right away because I wanted to clear a spot for someone to actually play. I'm doing my part, etc. etc.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

wilderthanmild posted:

They seem to have fixed matchmaking, but there is still not enough capacity for everyone to get into the game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah next should be a queue and AFK kick/PS5 rest fix. At that point it's tolerable, but not great and they've probably done all the truly low-hanging fruit work that they can. Then just gotta grind out those infrastructure/code optimizations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Once populations drop this is probably going to be an extremely smooth multiplayer experience, lol

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Flint_Paper posted:

Games> Helldivers 2 - This is a AAA game. "AAA I'm being overwhelmed by bugs!!"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah next should be a queue and AFK kick/PS5 rest fix. At that point it's tolerable, but not great and they've probably done all the truly low-hanging fruit work that they can. Then just gotta grind out those infrastructure/code optimizations.

FWIW I feel those first two items should have a noticeable impact. At least I hope they will. Going by my steam friends list, 2 out of 5 that have the game are AFKing on there. Small sample size and all, but there are probably TONS of people doing that right now. The PS5 rest thing is probably even worse because you don't even have to worry about burning electricity or hurting your hardware there.

Not even mentioning completely unintentional stuff like people just leaving the PS5 open on the ship like the modern equivalent of leaving the halo main menu running for hours.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

wilderthanmild posted:

The PS5 rest thing is probably even worse because you don't even have to worry about burning electricity or hurting your hardware there.

I didn't even know that was possible, I thought the PS5 auto-disconnected you from servers outside the main store update server when you went to rest mode. I'm both impressed and horrified by such an efficient sleep mode.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

I don’t get the rest mode argument. How are people holding open spots on a dedicated server when their console is off? As far as I know the only networking PS5s do in rest mode are updates and some kind of wake-on-LAN functionality tied to the Remote Play stuff. Any currently running game is put into stasis so they aren’t doing any kind of logic to stay on a server.

As best I can tell when you resume from rest mode you end up in some weird isolated environment where you’re neither connected nor disconnected. I guess it’s possible people putting their consoles in rest mode are therefore “saving a space”, but in my limited experience resuming from rest mode ends up with various things being straight up broken - e.g. social showing no one online, people unable to join your game or you join others, etc.

What would help things immeasurably would be if there was a queue system for logging in. That way if you’re prepared to wait then you can, knowing roughly how long you’re going to have to wait. As it is, with the random retry timer, it feels like a lottery. You could be waiting an hour or more and someone else who just boots the game at the right time gets straight in due to fortuitous timing.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 20, 2024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Okay I just got here and I can't quit the game because the servers are overloaded.

I don't even know what to say

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you really want to shoot a bug but can't get into the servers, the entire EDF franchise is on sale

https://store.steampowered.com/franchise/EDF

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, personally I don't have a PS5. I just see it being reported that users going into rest mode get right into the game, no queue or anything. For all I know that part is BS.

One explanation could be that the actual queue is artificial and enforced client side so they just skip straight to connection because they already passed that step. In that scenario even if the servers were over the set capacity, they just connect anyway.

Another even stupider explanation would be that they literally hold a spot until their client releases it. In that scenario there would probably still be some kind of TTL set, but probably one that is long enough that a user putting the PS5 on rest, going to work/school/etc wouldn't get disconnected.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't know, personally I don't have a PS5. I just see it being reported that users going into rest mode get right into the game, no queue or anything. For all I know that part is BS.

One explanation could be that the actual queue is artificial and enforced client side so they just skip straight to connection because they already passed that step. In that scenario even if the servers were over the set capacity, they just connect anyway.

Another even stupider explanation would be that they literally hold a spot until their client releases it. In that scenario there would probably still be some kind of TTL set, but probably one that is long enough that a user putting the PS5 on rest, going to work/school/etc wouldn't get disconnected.
Yeah I get the feeling that maybe getting past the title screen and into the game, and subsequently going into rest mode, means that you’re in a sort of privileged position as you’ve got past the arbitrary timer. There’s probably a lot of people doing that, not least of which because that’s pretty much what you do naturally on the PS5 when you’re finished.

The obvious solution is for the game to boot people back to the title screen when they resume. It already says that you’ve lost connection to the network.

Nearly an hour waiting.. the worst thing is that it feels like when this timer is counting down there are slots opening up and being taken. It doesn’t feel like an equitable system at all.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Assuming you are playing in the evening your time that means you're playing it when the least amount of people are trying to play it. Things really get hosed during the evening on the east coast US times. As seen on the chart below.

Peak starts at around 1900 uk time and lasts till 0400, so I assume europe is kicking the servers off and then americans are all trying to log in as we start finishing up, which probably means americans see the majority of the problems.

The 19th feb bottom out is around 1100 when i look, so not europe evening at all.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

If the rest thing is real then I would guess that the console can hold authentication without a constant internet connection, and it pings the server again after you try and do something in the lobby. At that point you are already "in" the game and get priority over someone trying to log in.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009

Durzel posted:

it feels like when this timer is counting down there are slots opening up and being taken

That is absolutely happening, it isn't a queue, it's a lottery.

Only the luckiest are permitted to be Helldivers, should have a 50% chance when you install the game that it immediately issues you a refund and uninstalls itself, but they had to settle for this instead.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
It's intentionally weeding out those who aren't lucky. Democracy doesn't need bad-luck commies weighing it down!

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Failing the login lottery should be animated as your hellpod landing on a minefield or going down a chasm

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

If the rest thing is real then I would guess that the console can hold authentication without a constant internet connection, and it pings the server again after you try and do something in the lobby. At that point you are already "in" the game and get priority over someone trying to log in.

This would kind of be like the second scenario I described above. Imagine that once you are logged in you get a token saying you are authenticated as this user, among other things. That token should expire and need to be kept alive, however in this scenario they might not be setting any expiration, setting a really long expiration (like hours to days), or setting an expiration but not enforcing it, either on purpose or because of a bug.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Marlow posted:

Found another gem:

this is apparently a copypasta, like 5000 people have posted it in the discord

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Jesus thats some whiny bitch rear end baby poo poo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

capitalism continues to, and will always, be A gently caress

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 20, 2024

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Glad I don't have to deal with this kind of stuff in our glorious managed democracy

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When do the personal challenge things reset? I had one yesterday to kill a bunch of hunters but nothing today.

Edit: Also, what button do you press to back out of button prompt and interactive things? Esc seems to work but that can't be the intended one.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 20, 2024

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.
lmao you can really just join game on some nobody in steam and it zips you right past the login. it's like a 5 minute wait at a black screen. are people endlessly hammering a login server for hours when a processed queue could have gotten them in within 5 minutes? hilarious if true

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aphrodite posted:

Edit: Also, what button do you press to back out of button prompt and interactive things? Esc seems to work but that can't be the intended one.

E

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think in the future they should probably tie war medals to map objectives in some way, when clearing out a nest only gives R/Exp and both of those aren't worth much of anything past level 20, they should probably let you spend R on medals and have prestige levels that give a medal each.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Marlow posted:

I know that the Discord has been locked for being over capacity for a while, but if any of you have the opportunity to join the Helldivers Official Discord, please jump at it. It is full of some of the best posts I've ever seen. This one almost made me do a spit take with my Liber-tea.

https://www.change.org/p/demand-immediate-repair-of-helldiver-2-server

lmao

this is some "restore the databases Blizzard" bullshit

and I say this while waiting until the servers stabilize before buying Helldivers 2. I wanna play! I'm also not being a baby about it

RIP to the streamers who can't draw audiences with their lovely personalities alone

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Lol did they make it so you can't alt-esc out while waiting in the queue?

Edit: nevermind, no idea why that was happening to me.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Aphrodite posted:

When do the personal challenge things reset? I had one yesterday to kill a bunch of hunters but nothing today.

The personal challenge for 15 medals resets around 7pm est every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think in the future they should probably tie war medals to map objectives in some way, when clearing out a nest only gives R/Exp and both of those aren't worth much of anything past level 20, they should probably let you spend R on medals and have prestige levels that give a medal each.

The nests are also where a lot of the research samples are located.

Also clearing the nests/factories makes the extraction easier.