Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I partook of that R36S deal on Aliexpress, received it and spent all last night getting it set up, and have been monkeying around with it during my downtime at work today. I love it, it's great, my first retro handheld and I'm very satisfied! But... I'd also like a horizontal handheld...

It's been less than 24 hours. What have you fuckers done to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Namnesor posted:

P.S: play this game if you haven't, it's Final Fantasy Tactics and is excellent and my favorite in the series

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Saoshyant posted:

P.S: play this game if you haven't, it's Final Fantasy Tactics and is excellent and my favorite in the series

No worries there, I replay FFT yearly, it is also among my favorites.

now if you'll excuse me, that powkiddy x55 is looking mighty tempting...

EDIT: help :gonk:

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 16, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Namnesor posted:

I partook of that R36S deal on Aliexpress, received it and spent all last night getting it set up, and have been monkeying around with it during my downtime at work today. I love it, it's great, my first retro handheld and I'm very satisfied! But... I'd also like a horizontal handheld...

It's the future brother.

You want a mint 405m? I will give you a goon discount

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Namnesor posted:

I also got in on it, it arrived in the country, and the delivery company apparnelty failed to deliver (to a post office, no less) at 630am (they definitely did not try to deliver) so now they're returning it to sender???

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Namnesor posted:

awesome, im in the same boat as you. just waiting for mine to arrive from customs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I installed a 1000 game pack of PICO8 games to my Miyoo Mini+ and I've never been more happy with my decisions.

There are so many lil games to try, each one more whimsical than the last one.

Kick Wizards is my current jam.
and you don't even provide a link? c'mon man

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bowmore posted:

and you don't even provide a link? c'mon man

I got you

https://archive.org/details/picowesome-v1.3

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Hey thanks for this, I paid for pico-8 a while back but its browsing functionality IIRC is built around visiting/playing individual games one-at-a-time rather than grabbing a pack and that makes it kind of a pain to just put a bunch of stuff on an offline portable.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Yeah I also paid for it because it was $15 and I may one day want to set up a dedicated pico8 station.

Honestly, pico8 is such a badass system and being able to play the games handheld is making this Miyoo even more worth it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pico8 is great and I love running the browser on onionOS

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Legend, cheers mate

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

There’s an updated v1.4 on Reddit, not sure if it’s on Archive.org too. Though even that is getting on for 18 months old now. I’ve seen some posts from the person who put it together saying they want to update it again but I think it’s a big manual task.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

pico8 is great and I love running the browser on onionOS

Is there a specific package that you install for that? Whatever I'm using by default (using onion os) always screws up half of the games I have. I feel like I missed a comment about this at some point.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Alucard posted:

Is there a specific package that you install for that? Whatever I'm using by default (using onion os) always screws up half of the games I have. I feel like I missed a comment about this at some point.

I think it’s using the “real” Splore/Pico8 runtimes in the upcoming 4.3 version of OnionOS. There’s an RC build available for it but not the final release yet. There might be a way to run it on v4.2.x but I’m just waiting for the next version.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Looking for a bit of hope in dark times.

I got myself an RGB30 late last year and have been having a great time with it. Especially pico8, big fan of the Suika Game Demake. However, the device has become unresponsive and I don't know if there is a fix.

I've been running ArkOS on it, and set it to update before I let the house. I've heard running the battery dry is a bad idea, so I left it plugged in too. Well, when I got back home it had turned off and wouldn't turn on. I believe the battery ran dry, so I opened it up to try disconnecting the battery as mentioned on the internet. I got it to turn back on, the update was successful but the thing wouldn't charge. Same deal with my JelOS SD card. Before, when I plugged it in to the USB port while off the charge light would light up, not anymore. Even when on, the battery level indicator wouldn't change to show it charging and leaving it like that for any period the percentage didn't increase. After a day I tried to dis/reconnect the battery again, but no luck.

In fact I am sure it is dead now. Nothing happens when I plug in the charge cable. When I push the power button for any period of time, the LED flashes green for a second and that's it.

Does anyone have any advice? I am super bummed out by this.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Daddys hot grill posted:

Looking for a bit of hope in dark times.
Does anyone have any advice? I am super bummed out by this.

As someone who's also displeased by the RGB30's shoddy build quality I'm worried I'll soon be hit by this too. Powkiddy, never again.

No idea what's the best course of action from here, but I guess one option is to recheck the battery contacts, they may be damaged or badly connected after fiddling with them, even if being careful with those. A multimeter may help to check if the thing is even taking current in the charging port (don't forget the secondary port doesn't do squat) -- check Youtube for guides on how to use them if you have never used one before.

vvvv yeah, this too, can't hurt to try

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 19, 2024

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I would also try another charger. A friend's 353v seemed totally dead like yours. Tried charging it with an A->C cable I knew worked with my identical 353v and nothing. Reseated the battery connections and nothing. Brought it home and left it sitting in a different A->C charger I had and it lived once again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Stuff like that is what I worry about with my RP4 Pro.

I am continuously impressed with High Performance mode /w Yuzu emulation for games-I-didn't-think-would-run-at-60fps-on-this-tiny-device, but I'm trying to keep that as light a tough as possible to improve the longevity of it.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

The problem seems mainly limited to devices using an RK3566 chipset but yeah, I get the worry.

I had some charging issues with the RGB10 Max 2 so maybe it’s more accurate to call it a “Powkiddy and sometimes Anbernic thing”

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

of course I could also just be massively wrong again, who knows

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

It's definitely more a powkiddy/anbernic thing, and also some of them for reasons won't charge as well / at all when they're powered off. If a device has lost power entirely, you might try plugging it into the slowest A->C charger you have for a while until it turns on, *then* try using faster chargers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Somewhat disappointing to hear about the RGB30, as it was one of the devices I had been considering before deciding on the RP4 Pro.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Cancelled my R36S order because it still hadn't been sent, even though the expected delivery date was yesterday. :smith: Oh well, maybe I'll put the money towards an RP4 Pro.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Update.
Thanks for the tips and advice. I am not exactly sure how, but I got it charging again. It was something like disconnecting the battery, plugging in the power, turning it on (which worked this time!), reconnecting the battery. At some point I was able to turn it off and the regular charge light came on.

This handhelds are rough, but I guess that's how it works when they repurpose off the shelf parts for these things. This is my first, and in my market it wasn't exactly cheap, so the thought of losing it sucked.

Never let the battery fully drain.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I've had an ongoing issue with my 353P where sometimes the battery percentage doesn't report correctly in Linux (JelOS). Booting to Android and letting it fully charge seems to remedy this.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

shyduck posted:

I've had an ongoing issue with my 353P where sometimes the battery percentage doesn't report correctly in Linux (JelOS). Booting to Android and letting it fully charge seems to remedy this.

Genuinely curious - why keep it running JELOS? I'm running GammaOS on mine.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

jkq posted:

I honestly haven't put too much thought into it. I just went with JelOS out of the box because it just seemed like the thing to do. I'll give Gamma a shot though.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Small Strange Bird posted:

Cancelled my R36S order because it still hadn't been sent, even though the expected delivery date was yesterday. :smith: Oh well, maybe I'll put the money towards an RP4 Pro.

I bought mine from YYDZKJ Store here on Feb 07 to Denver, Co. Showed up by Feb 15. Ordered as a gift but took the time to swap the OsSD for a Amazon Basics card and start up a few games. Everything seems as advertised.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256806036630053.html

jkq posted:

Different chip etc, but I kept it on ArkOS. I saw JelOS exists for it.. is there a good breakdown of what different OSs bring to the party?
I couldn't really see much difference with the different Linux options.

deong fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2024

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

shyduck posted:

I honestly haven't put too much thought into it. I just went with JelOS out of the box because it just seemed like the thing to do. I'll give Gamma a shot though.

deong posted:

Different chip etc, but I kept it on ArkOS. I saw JelOS exists for it.. is there a good breakdown of what different OSs bring to the party?
I couldn't really see much difference with the different Linux options.

GammaOS is Android, with somewhat less manual setup than the stock Android. It pre-installs the Daijisho launcher and IIRC has some defaults configured for RetroArch.

I've never tried ArkOS. I like Android over JELOS because I have Android on my other handheld (Odin 2), and I can keep the setups largely the same between the two.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
JELOS is nice because it handles like 90% of the setup needed for configuring everything, pretty much all you have to worry about is providing the games and BIOS files and scraping for box art if you want

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Just popped in to speak the praises of 2 systems.
1: My Logitech GCloud. I finally was able to get the arcade version of Fist of the North Star (which is basically a FotNS Guilty Gear). Runs buttery smooth, but Atomiswave seems to be a bitch to get running in most cases. Couldn't get it to work after hours of tinkering a while back. Got the Emulation Station package (has to be purchased from the amazon app store and then installed on the device) and it set everything up to run properly. I copied my giant folder of bioses (from the miyoo mini plus) into it and like magic it worked.

2: Miyoo Mini Plus. It wasn't until I was tinkering with it tonight that I figured out it had wifi. I'm dumb.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The MMP's wifi is the dumb type where you can only have one saved SSID, which is kind of annoying! There's a terminal script/programme that can manage them at least.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

is that an issue with mesh wifu? or just multiple locations?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
hm, as long as the mesh has the same SSID (you know, an actual mesh not just extenders) it should be fine?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Apparently there's a version of EmulationStation Desktop Edition for Android now, but you have to install Amazon Appstore to get it, which basically means it doesn't really exist. sigh

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, Russ Retrogamecorps put out a setup guide yesterday. He implied that it's just a delay in getting it up on the actual play store

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, Russ Retrogamecorps put out a setup guide yesterday. He implied that it's just a delay in getting it up on the actual play store

LaunchBox just lets you pay for an .apk though, which is what I'd really want for a gaming portable. Even the play services stuff I keep disabled, if they put ES-DE on there I could get it by re-enabling those services temporarily, but honestly one of the key benefits of Android over iOS is that you can just like. Download an application, and install it. I'm sure store distribution makes things easier from a DRM & cash charge standpoint, but everything else I have on here I can just update from a github page or something, frustrating that these devs apparently think they're above that.

Sorry if I seem extra salty, I just have everything else scraped for ES and was excited at first to find out this exists.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
You probably can find an apk on one of the apk website to try it out first before you can buy it on Play store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I don't think it'll ever end up play store

"Google keeps rejecting and refusing to respond to emails or pickup tickets”