Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I want to say I got pork from an Ally quest, but I think that was just plain luck on my end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
You will want to farm a shitload of pork from the orc boss once you unlock a new mechanic a couple zones later, so don't sweat it too much right now. Should be able to get out of the village without clearing that part of the tea party.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
If you max out seeds and summons on yourself and allies, you should be able to kill the orc. Put yourself at the bottom of the list, bring the snake for the passive stats, summon a few levels of lesser demon, and equip the slash skill on yourself. When you get down to your last two party members activate physical stance and it should be enough damage to get him down.

For that matter you generally always want to order your party with weakest at the top to strongest at the bottom. That way as you lose party members your damage actually goes up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if i own melvor on steam can i play it on my phone or do i need to buy it again?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kvlt! posted:

if i own melvor on steam can i play it on my phone or do i need to buy it again?

You can play it on your phone, I did the same for the epic store

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
You may need to set/reset your Melvor cloud password to use your Steam version licenses and saves on mobile but it’s fully supported.

Note the Steam version is immune to the weird Playfab version check errors that have cropped up recently, so it might take a few tries to get another device set up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ty!!

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

I picked up Ironwood on a whim because of this thread. What's the goon guild name and is there an application process?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

NachtSieger posted:

I picked up Ironwood on a whim because of this thread. What's the goon guild name and is there an application process?

Just GOONS and hit apply. I don't think anyone actually cares beyond that. There's two open slots right now so it should appear on the list.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

NachtSieger posted:

Guild is GOONS, and there's a very simple seven-part committee interview along with some easy building harvesting...

Or you can just apply in the game and post what your in-game name is here. I'm pretty good about getting to them within the day.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

Guild is GOONS, and there's a very simple seven-part committee interview along with some easy building harvesting...
I am charmless and humorless. I would be perfect for this guild.

Ham Equity posted:

Or you can just apply in the game and post what your in-game name is here. I'm pretty good about getting to them within the day.

My in game name is SaelisRusulka. I have no idea what guilds do.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

NachtSieger posted:

I am charmless and humorless. I would be perfect for this guild.

My in game name is SaelisRusulka. I have no idea what guilds do.

They give you a bunch of extra money (like, a ton) and some small-but-significant efficiency bumps. Additionally, there's a guild ranking system for another number you can make go up by doing guild quests, participating in guild events, and helping to construct guild buildings.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ham Equity posted:

They give you a bunch of extra money (like, a ton) and some small-but-significant efficiency bumps. Additionally, there's a guild ranking system for another number you can make go up by doing guild quests, participating in guild events, and helping to construct guild buildings.

Sounds like nothing but positives. I love making numbers go up.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

NachtSieger posted:

Sounds like nothing but positives. I love making numbers go up.

It's all positives. New players are always good too for the lower level daily quests.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I'll probably swing back in Ironwood when it goes live, the reset really soured the part of me that still cares about MMO building numbers "forever". It still craves something though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Getting started in Ironwood. I am still somewhat confused about challenge scrolls and perfect equipment.
I got a challenge scroll last night. What would be the optimal way to use that?
I tried using it and it wants me to have a perfect rod. Sounds cool, but it lead me to a upgrade interface I had never noticed before. And I can't even figure out what to do how I would unlock those interface for my iron rod, it is only there for copper.
Now I also need to know if I should grind copper rods or somehow wait to unlock improved iron rods.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Not touched Ironwood in a while but IIRC you basically max out the copper upgrades, then you can mash a bunch of regular iron stuff into it to get improved iron.

inspire
Nov 24, 2004
Eyyy!

VictualSquid posted:

Getting started in Ironwood. I am still somewhat confused about challenge scrolls and perfect equipment.
I tried using it and it wants me to have a perfect rod. Sounds cool, but it lead me to a upgrade interface I had never noticed before. And I can't even figure out what to do how I would unlock those interface for my iron rod, it is only there for copper.
Now I also need to know if I should grind copper rods or somehow wait to unlock improved iron rods.
I am a recent starter as well.

You'll need to make a bunch of copper rods, if you have one already equipped you can go to the equipment tab, click on the item you want to upgade and click on upgrade (vertical green arrow). From there it will tell you how many copper rods you need to combine to get the next tier of rod. You'll need to upgrade 3 times to get a perfect copper rod (same amount required each time [50 for copper so 150 copper rods total]). You need a perfect copper rod + normal iron rods to upgrade to perfect iron rod, a perfect iron rod + normal silver rods to upgrade to perfect silver etc etc etc.

If you don't have the item equipped you can upgrade through the Inventory menu. You'll always have rod/hatchet/spade/pick/armor/weapon equipped generally so this is if you want to upgrade anything that isn't currently equippped. Be careful not to upgrade your equipment past your current level else you won't be able to use it. I haven't done any 2 handed combat so if I upgrade all my copper 2H weapons to Iron I won't be able to equip them as Iron requires level 10 2H skill. Best bet is to just craft all the required items for each tier and upgrade them as you progress through the levels in the relevant skills.

I just use the challenge scrolls as they come. You'll want to knock the initial ones out quickly and open the chests you get from completion so you can get your first tome. I also think they can contain bracelets which provide skill XP bonuses.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

VictualSquid posted:

The perfect ones are the ones you should be using. They take a shitload of metal, but you need to boost your smithing and forging anyway. Every piece of metal equipment has an upgraded type, it's something like Exceptional -> Superior -> Perfect, each upgrade takes X amount of the regular version.

So, I think copper stuff takes 250 to upgrade, so if you wanted to make a Perfect Copper Hatchet, you'd forge 750 copper hatchets, then upgrade a regular copper hatchet to a perfect copper hatchet. In order to get a perfect [anything but copper], you need a perfect [metal below it]. So, you need a perfect copper hatchet to upgrade into a perfect iron hatchet, a perfect iron hatchet to upgrade into a perfect silver hatchet, etc. Each upgrade takes more objects of that type, so you need like 500 iron hatchets for each upgrade step from perfect copper hatchet to perfect iron hatchet (for a total of 1500).

For awhile I used challenges to bump smithing & forging, now I'm mostly using them for combat skills (defense and 1H for me), though I think the optimal usage might be enchanting.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

hello once more. Theresmore has achieved another update. luck does stuff now? i think. probably. anyways its here and you can poke at it yourself.

quote:

Version 0.63 The Luck Overhaul

18 new techs

7 new buildings

Added 5 legacy perks

Added 3 units

Version 0.62

20 new weapons tech

1 new building

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Arcanuse posted:

hello once more. Theresmore has achieved another update. luck does stuff now? i think. probably. anyways its here and you can poke at it yourself.

This is from memory, as I am away from my PC.

I haven’t seen all the new stuff yet, but what I have seen is some minor bonuses. The buildings use up your luck in exchange for +1 pop or +2 gold or +2 research. I got 5 of the pop buildings and then unlocked another tech for some additional bonuses.

The legacy perks are to start with some extra luck (at least the two I noticed) and are pretty cheap at like 2 and 5 points each.

So it should add a bit of a boost to early runs, but doesn’t look like it will make a big change in late runs.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Your Chronicle: I've either hard locked myself or missed something crucial. I'm at Academic/Coastal Cities, but I can't progress farther as I'm destiny capped and all of the fights available (Rocky Road, Tournament 2, Intermediate Class) need like 10x the stats I have. The only thing that's even a little option is to manually grind the Purification Slime each time I hit 50 mucus and hope that it'll have enough stats eventually to carry or that the Weird Man who wants 100 Pure Slime research unlocks something useful. Idk. I'm remembering why I bounced off this so hard the first time.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Your Chronicle: I've either hard locked myself or missed something crucial. I'm at Academic/Coastal Cities, but I can't progress farther as I'm destiny capped and all of the fights available (Rocky Road, Tournament 2, Intermediate Class) need like 10x the stats I have. The only thing that's even a little option is to manually grind the Purification Slime each time I hit 50 mucus and hope that it'll have enough stats eventually to carry or that the Weird Man who wants 100 Pure Slime research unlocks something useful. Idk. I'm remembering why I bounced off this so hard the first time.

Did you make the bread for the chef in the second zone to unlock Gluttony? If you did, make sure you are farming pork off the orc boss to get buffed up, it makes a huge difference in your stats. Additionally, if you do the spear training (assuming you did warrior path) then you can get a stronger, faster attack that carries a lot of the game.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 22, 2024

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Did you make the bread for the chef in the second zone to unlock Gluttony? If you did, make sure you are farming pork off the orc boss to get buffed up, it makes a huge difference in your stats. Additionally, if you do the spear training (assuming you did warrior path) then you can get a stronger, faster attack that carries a lot of the game.

Yes.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Do the Dark Ritual a few times while feeding yourself a lot and you'll unlock an auto-eat function that you can use to buff that into the hundreds pretty easily.

As an efficiency note I wouldn't bother with things like Mushrooms unless you happen to have them on hand since they take exponentially longer to farm than the boss drops.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

So the requirements to level up each gluttony stat reset every dark ritual. Additionally the capacity for gluttony increases by 10% of the amount you filled each run. There are achievements for different caps and each grants you an auto-eat slot. Once you get your first auto-eat you can grind the orc for pork and get 30+ levels in pork every dark ritual. Dump the inspiration into stats and eat 1-2 of everything every dark ritual plus a bigger stack of the foods dropped by each boss, making sure to ritual as often as possible for inspiration and more food based stats.

As mentioned use Sharp Spike since it's the fastest attack in the game and put yourself or any physical monster that can one-shot a boss with it in front to improve the speed of grinding bosses.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I maybe confused about Dark Ritual (which may be the underlying problem). Is it like NUMBER in NGU where I should be hitting the reset when it gets significantly higher? Or should I be smashing that button much more often, even if my talent will be lower?

This is my current SR/DR:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Toshimo posted:

I maybe confused about Dark Ritual (which may be the underlying problem). Is it like NUMBER in NGU where I should be hitting the reset when it gets significantly higher? Or should I be smashing that button much more often, even if my talent will be lower?

Oh no you should be hitting dark ritual as often as you can unless you are gunning to unlock a certain gate. It adds to your max multipliers for gluttony and gives you a bunch of inspiration as you blow through the first 15+ ranks in an instant. Talent doesn't really matter unless you are going for a rank gate, and you can rank up pretty fast if you just let it go overnight and DR in the morning.

It's really deceptive, I had the same confusion at the start.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Man, just want to say that I am loving Melvor's Ancient Relics mode -- I started a character there as a diversion from the main game but now I've basically abandoned my original save. I was enjoying the base game quite a bit but would kind of get decision paralysis trying to figure out what to work on; the Ancient Relics restrictions make it much easier to settle on shooting for specific goals. I also basically neglected combat in my original file, and having to engage for that and target monsters for drops has been very fun. That said I did cheat and download a mod that removes the nerf to resource doubling/preservation mechanics -- I can see how eventually that could get pretty busted combined with relic effects, but I didn't like how it made a lot of items and skills basically do nothing, and figure I'm a noob and can use all the help I can get anyways.

I come asking for advice, however. I have all dungeons cleared up to the Unholy Forest/Dragon Lair -- I failed on my first attempt at the former but I think I can push through and clear it, I got the relic that gives summons +100% max hit which has made Barrier enemies pretty manageable. Is the Dragon dungeon easier or harder? I'm also not sure what the best approach is for dungeons like that with mixed enemy attack types -- I know eventually you can get the ability to swap equipment sets in dungeons but that's a long way off for me. I've been running them in melee since that gear generally seems tankier but I'm not sure if there's a better approach.

Skills are below, hope I haven't bricked myself too bad. The game has refused to give me any Smithing levels which hasn't been as bad as I thought as it's been pretty easy farming gear up to Runic, but having no reasonable way to get gold/silver bars for armor upgrades has been annoying. Magic carried me really hard for the early part of the game but now I'm getting bottlenecked by Runecrafting and my lack of Death Runes. Pumped crafting a lot because I wanted to try out Unholy Prayers, but didn't realize I needed 80 Cartography to easily farm the logs -- I do see they're a possible drop from the forest dungeon, so I'm hoping I get lucky there.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I did Unholy Forest on my relics account (current combat cap 60) but haven’t done Dragon’s Den yet. The latter will probably be my next one. Forest is workable since it’s the second and final barrier dungeon where mobs don’t regenerate their barrier over time so any mishmash of combat summons you can throw together will eventually get the job done.

Keep prioritizing slayer uncaps when you get them and consider runecrafting as well, you’re at a point where your magic skill level can cast spells you can’t fuel with your current RC level.

Generally I just go with a single damage type for mixed dungeons and accept some enemies will be slow to kill. What that damage type is largely depends on the style of the most dangerous target, which often is but isn’t necessarily the boss.

Lastly, since you’re already using mods, highly recommended the [Myth] Combat Simulator mod. It’s extremely flexible and can tell you all sorts of info (even down to specific item drops per hour), but at a base level it can import your current combat setup (gear, stats, prayers, potions, etc) and simulate fighting a mob/running a dungeon - and whether or not you’re at risk or going to die there. Combat Sim is nice for this because it makes it easy to try alternate setups until you find what would work, even if you don’t currently have the items that you’re testing out.

Edit: I decided to do this and Dragon’s Den was surprisingly trivial with 60 HP/Defense and 57 magic. Went in with fire adept armor, elite defense amulet, powerful wand, rune shield (g), a diamond ring and yak/occultist summons. I would have had to manual eat on the elder dragon if it had actually hit me a single time (with the above setup I had enough DR for its max hit to be 277; my autoeat threshold was 244) but otherwise there’s really no issues if you have food and autoeat to roll with.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 22, 2024

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Toshimo posted:

To cement the NGU comparison, Inspiration is your XP and Dark Ritual is your Rebirth. Slam that button no matter what your Talent modifier is unless (as mentioned above) you need a specific rank to unlock something. That's best done after an overnight, though or overnight, dark ritual, then a longer run because you'll have a higher talent multi. More inspiration is always the most important stat because even if there's nothing to unlock you can boost Habit and Stats.

Talent is just another multiplier to your total XP and doesn't really matter. It also has some effect on your Habit Efficiency but it's not worth chasing, just dump more Inspiration into Habit.

In other words, basically always dark ritual whenever the cooldown is up unless you have 5 minutes worth of stuff to do like making sure you eat a couple food types or you want to push max stamina while you have a bunch of habit points.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Crafting event is on in Ironwood.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Applied to the ironwood goon guild as grossmurpel1 (other account got eaten by me clearing my cache :cool:)

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Tortolia posted:

Edit: I decided to do this and Dragon’s Den was surprisingly trivial with 60 HP/Defense and 57 magic. Went in with fire adept armor, elite defense amulet, powerful wand, rune shield (g), a diamond ring and yak/occultist summons. I would have had to manual eat on the elder dragon if it had actually hit me a single time (with the above setup I had enough DR for its max hit to be 277; my autoeat threshold was 244) but otherwise there’s really no issues if you have food and autoeat to roll with.

Thanks for this -- Dragon's Den was surprisingly easy with Adamant gear, never really got hairy until the boss. Then I got the "avoid magic" prayer which meant the Ents who previously had me mashing the lobster button were down to a measly 20% hit chance, and I cleared the Forest right after. Got like 3 runecraft cap increases along with much-needed smithing so I can make gold bars now, so I'm back to cruising :cool:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I am nearing the end of Antimatter Dimensions and kind of burning out on it... any recommendations for a meaty browser-based idler with a good offline progress system that I can leave in the background at work? Thought Evolve would be perfect but didn't realize that it doesn't really have an offline progress mode. Never really clicked with Gooboo but maybe it's time to give it another shot?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Theresmore and Ethereal Farm are worth checking out

Edit: Also I got excited because Paragon Pioneers popped up in the App Store for me, but not quite out yet March 11th. Looks like there will be a free demo version again.

Hand Row fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 25, 2024

Baddog
May 12, 2001

goferchan posted:

Never really clicked with Gooboo but maybe it's time to give it another shot?

Hasn't been an update to gooboo since November. I'm still playing, but definitely feels like I'm into the very unpolished part of the game now (level 640). There's still things to do, still unlocking different mechanics, but drat, wish the developer would pick it up again.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Got to the next ascension in FAPI and man it's nice grabbing the Auto-buy farming page 1 upgrade. Such a small thing but it's very nice taking away some of the more tedious/mindless tasks like clicking the upgrade button whenever possible. Having just unlocked the Cards thing though it's pretty clear how little info there is out there about this mechanic. The wiki hasn't even been updated since they added the feature halfway through last year by the looks of it. Just kinda seems like passive bonuses on things? Like there doesn't appear to be a way to 'play' these cards unless I haven't gotten there yet. I found some info from their discord, and it's on the gameplay planner thing I use but it really sucks having to go to a discord to find any meaningful and/or up to date information about some of these things in the game.

Sayara
May 10, 2009

explosivo posted:

Got to the next ascension in FAPI and man it's nice grabbing the Auto-buy farming page 1 upgrade. Such a small thing but it's very nice taking away some of the more tedious/mindless tasks like clicking the upgrade button whenever possible. Having just unlocked the Cards thing though it's pretty clear how little info there is out there about this mechanic. The wiki hasn't even been updated since they added the feature halfway through last year by the looks of it. Just kinda seems like passive bonuses on things? Like there doesn't appear to be a way to 'play' these cards unless I haven't gotten there yet. I found some info from their discord, and it's on the gameplay planner thing I use but it really sucks having to go to a discord to find any meaningful and/or up to date information about some of these things in the game.

You don't play them, you just get them randomly (one of the three available, two later with asc upgrade) from expeditions and they give bonuses passively. E.g. first expedition Butternut Forest can give you attack/hp, whack score, or residue card. Power is temporary (lost on ascension) but you can use a charge on a card to make part of the power permanent. That's it, and ingame info what I checked tells you all of this. Maybe it feels like info is hidden as the mechanic is really simple in reality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Sayara posted:

You don't play them, you just get them randomly (one of the three available, two later with asc upgrade) from expeditions and they give bonuses passively. E.g. first expedition Butternut Forest can give you attack/hp, whack score, or residue card. Power is temporary (lost on ascension) but you can use a charge on a card to make part of the power permanent. That's it, and ingame info what I checked tells you all of this. Maybe it feels like info is hidden as the mechanic is really simple in reality?

Cards really come online at A15 or so when Card Level persists over Ascension. That’s also about the time you start getting critical mass of pets with Card Power as a stat, and when Equipment starts providing it as well. There are two upgrades that drop an additional card, so eventually you get all three cards from an Expedition. You start running Expeditions based on the cards they drop, especially once you get the Splash Damage AP upgrade. Pet Damage and Item Rating are the two most important cards, followed by Reincarnation Exp and Residue. Use the Gameplay Planner to figure out which card is most advantageous to spend a charge on.