Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Anyone here played Smalland?
I noticed it launched on PS5 (as well as post-EA v1.0 on Steam) and think it may be a nice chill survival game, but for me it's a bit expensive to take a chance on (£35)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I was about to write about Smalland because me and my friend just finished the story. Story spoiler: the last part of the story only took us a few hours, and even that had a lot of backtracking, since the last area, watchtower, is a real bullshit zone with endless mobs, especially rapid fire archers with homing arrows. On the second go I respecced to max speed and just ran past everything and my friend was able to run through an empty tower with the conga line trailing me.

I was sorely disappointed at the 1.0 release because it feels half baked and rushed, had little content and ending basically a text screen saying Good job! You saved the world! I had to laugh at how lackluster it was.

That said, I enjoyed our time with the game before the 1.0 release. It's somewhat janky, especially combat (basically just dodge, parry/block and two attacks) and your mounts, who will get stuck in everything. But the exploration is fun and I enjoyed base building too.

Smalland has a brilliant mechanic called great trees - you build your base on top of one and when you reach another, you can just teleport your base there. Saves a lot of travel time! They are only in the center zone, but still it's a great function.

All in all we had a good time, but the price hike seems steep. I got it for about 20€ from a discount and that seems about right. It's definitely more fun with a friend. Even with the disappointing 1.0, I'd still recommend it, especially from a sale - I personally liked it a lot but could not get into Grounded.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Hey, thanks for the post. Teleporting bases sounds ace tbh.
It does look a bit janky in the trailers for sure. Any time I get interested in a new survival game, my first thought is "wonder what the clunky/janky/wonky bit will be", I guess it just comes with the territory. Part of the charm maybe.

I got the pricing wrong, seems it's reduced to about 25 on PSN now, so I'll probably cave

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Feb 16, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I don't mean to sound overly negative, I have played for 34+ hours and most of that has been enjoyable, if janky (that's something you just gotta accept with EA survival crafters). I also like the various armors, they have a few different styles which all have a unique look modeled after a certain insect or animal.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Nightingale is out in early access in a few hours! I've heard the last state was pretty rough but honestly I'm probably just going to dive in anyway, I've been too enamored with the setting and premise to hold off even if the game does turn out to be shoddy.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm very excited; Valhiem made me realize "survival crafting but with some real meat to the combat and world progression" is a personal favorite of mine, and I'm intrigued by the first person perspective. Which, yeah, I know Minecraft hwd that but I've spent more time in Valhiem and Enshrouded than any other game in the genre so it's novel to me.

I'm generally pretty leery of every early access games so I'm quite interested in hearing from others how the game seems currently.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, there's so many games in this genre right now - currently playing Enshrouded and gonna try out Sons of the Forest 1.0 later this week, but I will definitely be watching for some impressions for Nightingale.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

TeaJay posted:

Yeah, there's so many games in this genre right now - currently playing Enshrouded and gonna try out Sons of the Forest 1.0 later this week, but I will definitely be watching for some impressions for Nightingale.

How is Enshrouded's base building? I'm kind of intrigued by it, but I'm also wondering if the construction is as fully fleshed out as something like valheim?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Cyrano4747 posted:

How is Enshrouded's base building? I'm kind of intrigued by it, but I'm also wondering if the construction is as fully fleshed out as something like valheim?

I'm not a builder in the slightest, but I have seen some stunning creations in random youtube videos, and please don't judge me, reddit.

--
Pacific Drive reviews are out. Lots of 8s and 9s and general goodness

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

It seems about as fleshed out as Valhiem, you can make pretty and varied buildings. It also has the notable feature of being able to appropriate and then modify extensive existing structures, which was present to a very limited degree in Valhiem (ex: the stone towers in Black Forest were a favorite hidey hole in my games), but Enshrouded will give you things that look like real multistory building you can just claim by putting down one of the "this is my base" Markers that flags a certain area to not reset.

Pacific Drive felt BAD in the demo, but I mean that in a very technical/performance issue sense. There was an input lag that made moving the mouse around nauseating, but I just chalked it up to a technical issue either I or the dev need to sort out. I don't hold it again the game, which felt like what if you had a car in the Long Dark.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Feb 20, 2024

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Enshrouded is also cool for building because you can swap around voxels even after putting down the larger prefab walls. Thus, my buildings have glowing blue doorframes.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The lack of angled blocks besides roofs kind of sucks, but the way the materials can be mixed and matched is great. Valheim’s system is better for rounded buildings and exposed framing, but Enshrouded allows for some serious detailing as long as your building is rectilinear.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Enshrouded is also cool for building because you can swap around voxels even after putting down the larger prefab walls. Thus, my buildings have glowing blue doorframes.

Yeah, being able to add/remove/modify down to a single 1x1 block size makes customization of your hovel completely open for your imagination/creativity. There are some amazing buildings on YouTube by folks with much more creativity than I have.

You can also build underground in existing caves, or dig your own, and add all the same building stuff you can use outside and integrate it however you want with the existing rocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
From what I saw the building in Enshrouded may have been its strongest feature.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The building in Enshrouded is nice. I'm not inclined to spend a ton of time building stuff at the 1x1 level but the auto-complete and alignment features are top notch.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

It's very good, very comparable to Valheim. In fact I would say the building is the strongest thing Enshrouded has, exploration second and combat third. It's not a survival game in the sense that your base gives you comfort, which in turn is more stamina and stamina regen in the world and food slots also give you stat bonuses, if you played Valheim you know how this goes.

It definitely awards a talented builder, like others said before me, but there's also an option to take a slightly run down house, small town or a tavern and refurbish it, if you don't feel like building from scratch. Like I wrote, I've been re-decorating a favorite location of many, the Blue Goblet tavern, which gives a whopping 25 comfort even with holes in the walls and roofs. If/when you unlock the right blocks used for a house, you can repair it seamlessly. The pieces also can be set over on top of each other with snapping on or off, leading to a very pleasant building experience. Highly recommend it.

There's also a thread for Enshrouded, here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4053051

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Goddamnit. You people are not making it easy for me to be responsible with my money.

What I wanted to hear was "oh it sucks don't buy it you can skip this one"

Stupid game being good and worth playing mumble grumble

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW I'd just wait, the game is still in early access and I've kind of stopped playing it just because I expect it to be much better in a year or two.

Also I dunno about y'all but the new Dragon's Dogma comes out in a month so I don't need to fire up brand new 100 hour games right now.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I've actually waited on Enshrouded for that exact reason

I've got too many early access games recently and I regret getting them right away.

I say that, but I've also just paid for nightingale but I've not touched it yet. Going to wait for thread impressions first.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I dumped 50 hours in Enshrouded. The building is really drat good and much more flexible than the detractors will say.

You have the option of using prefab pieces for the large areas like door frames, walls and roofs but you can get as granular as you want with the tools.

What I love is that if I've placed an 8x8 wall but want to extend it 2 units, I just overlay the same piece, move it two units and only get charged materials for the new two units, not eight.

I don't have it handy but I made an intricate wizard tower with a glowing heart and it was actually somewhat easy to assemble once I had a plan.

The exploration is also a big draw since roughly half the map is covered in a deadly fog that will kill you if you stay in it too long. There are many ways to extend this time but having a timer while exploring a dank dungeon is fun.

You can also freely deform the landscape as you see fit, not just on a grid. You can straight up sculpt things if you have the inclination.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Here's a few shots of our base that I didn't quite finish before getting burned out. One friend built a basic structure out of wood then went on vacation and another expanded it a bit as more NPCs and crafting stations came online. Then I expanded some more, added the farming stuff, added interior/exterior details and reskinned it while trying to keep the basic structure in place.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally I think between this and Nightingale we're getting to the point where these survival crafting homes look as good as what I'd expect in a commercially sold AA game. If those screen shots were a quest hub for some new MMO made by a small but professional company I wouldn't be disappointed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ash1138 posted:

Here's a few shots of our base that I didn't quite finish before getting burned out. One friend built a basic structure out of wood then went on vacation and another expanded it a bit as more NPCs and crafting stations came online. Then I expanded some more, added the farming stuff, added interior/exterior details and reskinned it while trying to keep the basic structure in place.

That's quite a place!

I have a rectangle with a flat roof and a little side extension with all the non-crafting related comfort items, bed, tables, bathroom stuff, etc.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty positive review of Pacific Drive

https://youtu.be/WXxJ_66ksD4?si=TBibuwpKXPkPPu1g

Still hyped for this game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Is there farming in Enshrouded?

I love farming games, but the farming in Valheim was so fiddly and frustrating that it caused me to stop playing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

LLSix posted:

Is there farming in Enshrouded?

I love farming games, but the farming in Valheim was so fiddly and frustrating that it caused me to stop playing.

Yes, but I can't say I'm a huge fan of it. It's simple but planting a bunch of anything is tedious as you plant a single plant at a time, or at least as far as I know. You'll really want to farm also as ingredients for some items you will need plenty of come from plants (flax -> cloth for example), and if you are an archer you constantly need sticks, and the game allows you to just plant a massive forest of bushes to farm for sticks and those plants mature at a stupid fast rate, like 2 or 3 times per day. When you harvest though you need to replant, it doesn't leave a seedling or anything, you have to make new seedlings at a crafting station and plant more.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really need to give Enshrouded another try. Trying to get the blacksmith was such a pain in the rear end I just kind of dropped it because i assume all progression is gated behind super annoying quests.

Did anyone take the plunge with Nightingale yet? It sure looks neat, but I can't get a sense of the game exactly from the trailers.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I really need to give Enshrouded another try. Trying to get the blacksmith was such a pain in the rear end I just kind of dropped it because i assume all progression is gated behind super annoying quests.

Did anyone take the plunge with Nightingale yet? It sure looks neat, but I can't get a sense of the game exactly from the trailers.

Based on steam reviews apparently the servers are fuuuuucked right now. I’d wait a bit for them to iron out the launch kinks regardless of what else is going on re: quality

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

twistedmentat posted:

What was a pain in the rear end about getting the blacksmith? I had gathered enough metal scraps around the starting base that I built the grappling hook and bypassed the shroud completely until later.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Spent some time with Nightingale - the price was right at $26 but honestly compared to it's recent competition it's ahead in setting and story, but behind in things like crafting quality of life and just general snappiness in UI and combat. Also the character creator just doesn't really do it any favors for all the knobs and dials available to use - they're a long shot from the characters in the art.

With the same amount of play time, Enshrouded's game loop was way more captivating and its organic discovery system really rewarded exploration and pushing your luck. Maybe it's just for entry area/getting started items, but it seems like in Nightingale you need to purchase crafting table/item schematics from an Essence Trader after converting actual items into essence dust, which just isn't as fun.

With Pacific Drive looking good and depending on the final state of the release of Sons of the Forest, this one may get lost in the shuffle.

Campbell fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 20, 2024

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Brain Curry posted:

What was a pain in the rear end about getting the blacksmith? I had gathered enough metal scraps around the starting base that I built the grappling hook and bypassed the shroud completely until later.

You could make that? It said I couldn't make anything without the blacksmith. I could only use the club and no armor.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Based on steam reviews apparently the servers are fuuuuucked right now. I’d wait a bit for them to iron out the launch kinks regardless of what else is going on re: quality

Is there no single player? Though its PVE so i guess thats basically just playing SP offline.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I believe single player is just a 1 person server and there's no real local only-version. At least when I played, it was taking a minute at a waiting for server step on startup.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Is Pacific Drive not out yet?

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
There's a demo, but EA begins on Thursday.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

twistedmentat posted:

You could make that? It said I couldn't make anything without the blacksmith. I could only use the club and no armor.

Yeah just needed the workbench. Metal scraps and shroud spores are available around longkeep, spores especially at night.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Campbell posted:

I believe single player is just a 1 person server and there's no real local only-version. At least when I played, it was taking a minute at a waiting for server step on startup.

You basically run your own server in single player, but I never noticed any wait when starting like you are describing. There are several different starting options for how you want to play. Public, private, or solo, but I don't remember the exact wording.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lol Nightingale's always connected and online even if you're in single player. And there's lag!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Synthbuttrange posted:

Lol Nightingale's always connected and online even if you're in single player. And there's lag!

No, how, what???

Gonna give it a few weeks before I try it, then.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

lol that's so dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least according to steam reviews and complaints on the discussions. The further away from the servers you are the laggier it gets on single player, amazing. :V