Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you have to bal the atro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It just looks like another deckbuilder to me though it's admittedly a pretty fun theme

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

The core appeal of Balatro is the distilled "combine bullshit to make broken combos" potential (mixed in with some deckbuilding). Instead of Binding of Isaac builds that blot out the screen with giant bullets that explode for 100 damage, it's poker hands and making number go up. Also as was said, the whole thing is insanely polished.

I'm hovering over the buy button on GMG myself because I loving love broken combo bullshit, but the fact that it is, ultimately, "just" poker and making number go up is making me hesitate.

Yea for $10.50 on GMG it pushed me over the line to buy Balatro.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Fuckin way to make me feel old, I'm clearly a fuckin Prehistoric Archaeologically Uncovered Gamer

- Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, 90s RTS
- Sega home consoles only
- Lvl 100 Charizard in Pokemon Red on transparent shell Gameboy

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Pigbuster posted:

He didn't just get that score by pulling the lever of a slot machine, is the thing. He built that combo up himself. The appeal of it is taking a normal 52-card deck and distorting it into an absurd combo machine that practically plays itself

Yeah I feel like the poker/playing card aesthetic makes people form assumptions because it's as much RNG dependent as like the randomized god powers in Hades.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Friend put an hour and a half into it and refunded it, they told me they thought it wasn't that interesting. They're back on their thousandth hour of Slay the Spire now, idk.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

balatro exists to divide the world between people with Number-Go-Up Disorder (like me) and those without

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

New borderlands lore.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
More like bored-erlands

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

:toot:

https://x.com/ELDENRING/status/1760076880764449173?s=20

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drat almost 2 years to the day from when the game was initially released.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Maybe my brain is broken but I'd be more interested if there was an option to play with actual medieval weapons, but that makes a worse funny meme trailer

Yeah at first I went "Oh drat this looks like Mordhau but on a more massive scale", then I saw the helicopters and I checked out

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Guess this is a similar situation to Vampire Survivors where I'm not in tune with the current zeitgeist.

The key is to keep playing CRPGs for 25 years straight until BG3 comes along and inexplicably becomes a smash hit, meaning you're now hip and trendy

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

I'm in a weird position where I though Elden Ring was an incredible experience but I don't know that I want to play more of it anytime soon. I just don't much like Souls combat and think Sekiro/AC's are vastly better.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

gently caress yeah, 16 more cat statue bosses!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

drat almost 2 years to the day from when the game was initially released.

Takes time to transition to GaaS

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

New borderlands lore.

I barely remember any of Borderlands 1 - 3, and didn't realize the series was still relevant. The big thing that stands out to me the most was when Randy Pitchford hosted a Borderlands 3 gameplay reveal press conference, and he was very clearly drunk and/or high as gently caress during the whole thing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chadzok posted:

Fuckin way to make me feel old, I'm clearly a fuckin Prehistoric Archaeologically Uncovered Gamer

- Doom, Quake, Unreal Tournament, 90s RTS
- Sega home consoles only
- Lvl 100 Charizard in Pokemon Red on transparent shell Gameboy
First Gamer

- Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Defender
- Computer Space, Pong, Asteroids
- Tennis for Two, Spacewar!, Draughts

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It's a joke image Chadzok

And yeah, just say you were the first to 100% Tennis for Two, end of discussion, you're the OG gamer

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

New borderlands lore.

Looks like they've been aging in real time since the last Borderlands game

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Kevin Hart as Roland. lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Kevin Hart as Roland. lol

I'm the Nerf gun they gave him to make it look proportional

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Maybe my brain is broken but I'd be more interested if there was an option to play with actual medieval weapons, but that makes a worse funny meme trailer

kinda feels like Chivalry and Mordhau already have that covered

while extremely silly, "guy with modern military assets gets sent back to medieval times" is an extremely persistent long-running portal fantasy premise that, weirdly, has not had very much play in the videogame market despite predating all modern isekai.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

It's a joke image Chadzok

And yeah, just say you were the first to 100% Tennis for Two, end of discussion, you're the OG gamer

the best version of the joke imo:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Scalding Coffee posted:

First Gamer

- Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Defender
- Computer Space, Pong, Asteroids
- Tennis for Two, Spacewar!, Draughts

I remember when Space Invaders hit the arcade and I was mesmerised. I was too young for Pong, though, so don't remember seeing that anywhere.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Runa posted:

kinda feels like Chivalry and Mordhau already have that covered

while extremely silly, "guy with modern military assets gets sent back to medieval times" is an extremely persistent long-running portal fantasy premise that, weirdly, has not had very much play in the videogame market despite predating all modern isekai.

There are five billion different first-person shooters, I think there's room for more than a handful of first-person melee games.

Just feels like it's going to be a Goat Simulator situation, where blowing up medieval guys with bazookas is briefly funny before getting old pretty fast.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/Ian_Fisch/status/1759960809818477054

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

deep dish peat moss posted:

That's ELIROTH, which is some kind of Sephiroth
Estuans interius ira vehementi
Estuans interius ira vehementi
ELIROTH!
ELIROTH!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

There are five billion different first-person shooters, I think there's room for more than a handful of first-person melee games.

Just feels like it's going to be a Goat Simulator situation, where blowing up medieval guys with bazookas is briefly funny before getting old pretty fast.

From the trailer there's also a base building and total war esque unit command element, maybe it might be simplistic like Koei's Bladestorm or Mount and Blade, but combining that with an fps looks interesting. To milfic and milsci nerds especially, the entire premise of the game is like crack to that crowd, and the people making the game probably are a part of it too.

Basically, I'm getting the vibe these devs are making a game they wanted to make, and throwing out their high concept premise to remake Mount and Blade is probably not what they were interested in doing.

Actually, the game Herp described is probably more Mount and Blade than anything, and if they're interested they could give Bannerlord a shot.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Just wanted to add Balatro plays great on the Deck.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If he hasn't played Bannerlord he should definitely check it out, yes.

I myself should get back into it one of these days, haven't played since 2021, and now it's fully released and everything. I just hope being a horse archer is still hilariously OP.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kragger99 posted:

Just wanted to add Balatro plays great on the Deck.

well I should hope so

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't really get why a card game (?) is blowing up, but that's what I love about Current Year, anything can happen, I assume adventure games will make a comeback next

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Update: for 16$~ I will buy Dark Souls Remastered.

Will this be the time I finally tackle this game seriously?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Update: for 16$~ I will buy Dark Souls Remastered.

Will this be the time I finally tackle this game seriously?

Just spend the money on a better game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

play it w/ a flight stick

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Just spend the money on a better game.

such as?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
dark souls 2

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Code Vein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I already own those!!