Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Ornamented Death posted:

On to Shadow Tower Abyss?

nah i'm trying to go through from's older games in release order, at least the rpgs if nothing else. maybe also spriggan since that's their first experience with 3d action game design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
also i gotta say that shadow tower's graphics are like. crazy impressive lol. it's not the best looking ps1 game but after the king's fields looked... like king's field, shadow tower's 3d modeling and animation work is a humongous improvement, and that's before saying anything about its texture work, which is absolutely fantastic and totally makes up for their pre-armored core years of designing environments as a series of square hallways with one repeating texture covering anything and everything

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
well i guess the part of king's field that was guilty of that was mostly the wind dungeon in kf3. but that dungeon was insanely bad. i admire king's field 3 wanting to create this epic scale open world with tons of optional dungeons but they should have made less optional dungeons if all of the optional dungeons were going to be horrible.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Colonel posted:

shadow tower though really deserves as much credit as king's field for how much it established about their rpg design. king's field's take on gear was incredibly basic and didn't give you much depth to interact with. shadow tower... tries to lend it that depth. it doesn't really succeed but it tries. the addition of player-influenced stats is wild to see, but it doesn't actually result in builds per say since the regular loop of shadow tower will have you naturally accumulating god stats by the end. there's a really tense vibe to the early game when you're scrambling for gear just to keep yourself in fighting condition, but the game as a whole lacks the wider variety in exploration and interaction with the world that king's field has, so inevitably once you learn how to game its systems you largely just turn into a heavily armed terminator crushing everything in your path, which only makes you better and better at crushing everything in your path. the last few areas mostly feel like you're going through the motions clearing out enemies and heading back to repair your gear. it gives it a sense of repetition king's field never quite had to deal with, and most of its attempts to make combat harder largely just make it more time consuming or mildly annoying, at most. its bosses especially are just unable to surmount the issues that faced king's field's own boss design. but on the whole the game's only like six to seven hours long so none of these problems are too bad, just another sign of how from was experimenting and evolving. makes me really fascinated to play more of their older games.

you absolutely owe it to yourself to play the armored core games on ps1. if you played through all the king's field games, you're all set to handle the controls, and they are really, really fun. i was honestly surprised by how enjoyable they were to play!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Beat QUESTER. It's a pretty solid dungeon crawler! I'm not quite sold on you being completely at the mercy of randomness; my very last recruit was my first Ranger, and my Detonator suffered for good weapons for a while while my Officer and Stealer were drowning in good katanas and knives. A little more choice and maybe a wandering merchant or something would go a long way. That said, the bones of the battle system are very good, and I like how it interacts with your gear choices. Characters have roles, but as the game goes on you get more chances to cross over into other roles, or have other characters dedicate item slots to giving other characters more resources to play with.

The one weird exception is some enemies who have an attack marked ALL that randomly hits people in your party 3-5 times, ignoring aggro mechanics and sometimes just instantly killing people by hitting them twice. It utterly ruins the aggro scores of people who get hit by it, too, so if any other enemies are still in the fight then someone's going to die. It's weird and out of place and even after finishing the game I don't know that there's anything you can do about it. It's strange.

Arzaac posted:

Eh, I disagree. My experience is that while aggro management can be pretty challenging for tanks, nothing can stand nearly as much punishment as a good tank. It really, really helps to have someone up front who's just a solid wall, and I never felt like a dps with high aggro quite reached that bar. Plus you do get more aggro management tools as you go on; a dps with Hide can give hate to the tank, or a tank with Bodyguard can steal aggro from dps.

Also the final boss is balls hard and the starter tank came in extremely clutch for me, because his final skill is a passive where he will continuously revive as long as he's not the only one alive. He took a ridiculous amount of damage on that fight and I have no idea how I would've done it without him.

Coming back to this now that I beat the game, at level 66 out of the 70 cap, and... The starting Detonator can absolutely handle aggro on the final boss. Give her any source of the basic aggro attraction skill and the +5 Defense skill (the Plate Shield is a mid-game item with both), and with those two skills and Patience queued she can tank the final boss just fine. I had the Mobile Police character with the Drugs-based passive heal skill using the +3 Defense to all skill most turns (because she didn't do much damage anyway, so why not) and my Detonator was taking 10-20 damage from the hits she didn't deflect. It's still a very random fight, because the 3-5 ALL attack is in that fight, but if the boss doesn't use it two turns in a row (or twice in the same turn) then you're gold.

So between that and the fact that most fights were going faster, yeah, I think she's probably a better tank than the actual tank class characters. Koyuki was in the party basically all game, but despite being in the tank class I just had her use her status protection skill and her healing passive. Haruka did all the actual tanking.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

EightFlyingCars posted:

you absolutely owe it to yourself to play the armored core games on ps1. if you played through all the king's field games, you're all set to handle the controls, and they are really, really fun. i was honestly surprised by how enjoyable they were to play!

i already played them

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Einander posted:

Coming back to this now that I beat the game, at level 66 out of the 70 cap, and... The starting Detonator can absolutely handle aggro on the final boss. Give her any source of the basic aggro attraction skill and the +5 Defense skill (the Plate Shield is a mid-game item with both), and with those two skills and Patience queued she can tank the final boss just fine. I had the Mobile Police character with the Drugs-based passive heal skill using the +3 Defense to all skill most turns (because she didn't do much damage anyway, so why not) and my Detonator was taking 10-20 damage from the hits she didn't deflect. It's still a very random fight, because the 3-5 ALL attack is in that fight, but if the boss doesn't use it two turns in a row (or twice in the same turn) then you're gold.

So between that and the fact that most fights were going faster, yeah, I think she's probably a better tank than the actual tank class characters. Koyuki was in the party basically all game, but despite being in the tank class I just had her use her status protection skill and her healing passive. Haruka did all the actual tanking.

Oh sweet I'm glad it worked out for you. I still think the starting tank character's very good but its awesome that you've got options for that.

Yeah my problem with that final boss is that he simply would not stop spamming the 3-5 ALL attack. Basically only won because Optical Camouflage is an extremely useful skill that can keep dps alive as long as you've got the resources for it.

they want shady
May 11, 2013
Finished Infinite Wealth, honestly cooled down on the game a bit by the end. It's a good game and a great sequel, but the ending pulled back the curtains on some things that left me feeling ok with calling it a bit of a mess.

Dunno if that's a hot or cold take around here since I've been avoiding spoilers, but here's some thoughts on that so it's not just a poo poo and run:

(massive spoilers for Infinite Wealth including the very end of the game)

Goddamn did the end of Kiryu's life links leave a sour taste in my mouth. In a game that's all about self-worth, and at the end of a side quest chain that's all about getting Kiryu to see how much of a positive influence he's been on peoples' lives, we pretty much end with Kiryu at his worst.

I liked most everything about the life links. It's frustrating that Kiryu can't meet up with (most of) the old cast because of his deal with the Daidoji, but that's the point. It's supposed to be frustrating, but throughout his conversations with Date it also starts to explore some interesting ideas that Kiryu's mostly respecting the deal as an out to facing his own problems of self-worth and his fear of mortality.

There's some genuinely nice scenes in there and I liked pretty much all of them (although Sayama's did make me laugh a bit since it's so centered around her maybe waiting for Kiryu even though one of the only bits of characterization she got after Yakuza 2 is that she didn't do that). Akiyama's frank conversation with Kiryu and Date after he busts them was especially good and left me a bit disappointed with Kiryu's reunion with Majima, Daigo, and Saejima in the main story in comparison.

The last life link is also mostly very good up to the point where he almost meets up with Haruka but chooses not to. It's the bits after that don't sit well with me. It makes sense that the Daidoji would try to rein in Kiryu and that and their comeuppance is mostly fine. The thing that really fucks with me is after beating them up when Kiryu promises to renew his deal with them but this time also excluding Date, Kasuga, and the rest of his newfound friends from his life once he's done with the current mission.

His farewell with Date after that is a very good bittersweet moment. It just feels bad at the end of Kiryu's big sidequest feature where he's supposed to be learining to love himself again (with stat boosts in his self-actualization stats to match!) and his conclusion being to push everyone left away.

I find it especially jarring now that I've finished the game and the ending actually contradicts it. Felt a bit hollow when the achievement "The man who regained his name" popped up since I sure didn't see how that happened.

Like, genuinely asking, did I miss something with this scene? Maybe I misread it, or maybe there's something bridging that with the end of the game that I'm not remembering or didn't find. For how well crafted the rest of the emotional beats in the game are (Takaya Kuroda slayed that scene after the final boss), I'm genuinely baffled at how the end of the life links makes sense. So if I'm missing something or anyone has a more optimistic reading on that I would genuinely love to hear it.

There's other stuff but this post is long enough for this. Still enjoying the game a lot (doing Big Swell and wrapping up Kasuga's sidequests) so it's not like I'm burnt out from it. Just about every gameplay change they've done from 7 to 8 has been for the better, I feel. If I post anything longer it'll probably go to the Yakuza thread proper now that I can finally read it, was just organizing my thoughts on the game and this one bit is really breaking my mind lol

Tl;dr: Sujimon gets very boring very fast even if there are some good jokes around it

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Thought XB3’s dlc was mostly underwhelming tbh
Unsurprisingly it's DLC mostly centered around fanservice/references/lore which is fun to a point but they neglected to really develop almost anyone besides Ne'al and Matthew (including surprisingly Rex/Shulk/Nikol/Glimmer) so the actual story kind of winds up feeling a bit undercooked. The big modern Earth flashback at the end does almost all of the actual heavy lifting.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

they want shady posted:

Finished Infinite Wealth, honestly cooled down on the game a bit by the end. It's a good game and a great sequel, but the ending pulled back the curtains on some things that left me feeling ok with calling it a bit of a mess.

Dunno if that's a hot or cold take around here since I've been avoiding spoilers, but here's some thoughts on that so it's not just a poo poo and run:

(massive spoilers for Infinite Wealth including the very end of the game)

Goddamn did the end of Kiryu's life links leave a sour taste in my mouth. In a game that's all about self-worth, and at the end of a side quest chain that's all about getting Kiryu to see how much of a positive influence he's been on peoples' lives, we pretty much end with Kiryu at his worst.

I liked most everything about the life links. It's frustrating that Kiryu can't meet up with (most of) the old cast because of his deal with the Daidoji, but that's the point. It's supposed to be frustrating, but throughout his conversations with Date it also starts to explore some interesting ideas that Kiryu's mostly respecting the deal as an out to facing his own problems of self-worth and his fear of mortality.

There's some genuinely nice scenes in there and I liked pretty much all of them (although Sayama's did make me laugh a bit since it's so centered around her maybe waiting for Kiryu even though one of the only bits of characterization she got after Yakuza 2 is that she didn't do that). Akiyama's frank conversation with Kiryu and Date after he busts them was especially good and left me a bit disappointed with Kiryu's reunion with Majima, Daigo, and Saejima in the main story in comparison.

The last life link is also mostly very good up to the point where he almost meets up with Haruka but chooses not to. It's the bits after that don't sit well with me. It makes sense that the Daidoji would try to rein in Kiryu and that and their comeuppance is mostly fine. The thing that really fucks with me is after beating them up when Kiryu promises to renew his deal with them but this time also excluding Date, Kasuga, and the rest of his newfound friends from his life once he's done with the current mission.

His farewell with Date after that is a very good bittersweet moment. It just feels bad at the end of Kiryu's big sidequest feature where he's supposed to be learining to love himself again (with stat boosts in his self-actualization stats to match!) and his conclusion being to push everyone left away.

I find it especially jarring now that I've finished the game and the ending actually contradicts it. Felt a bit hollow when the achievement "The man who regained his name" popped up since I sure didn't see how that happened.

Like, genuinely asking, did I miss something with this scene? Maybe I misread it, or maybe there's something bridging that with the end of the game that I'm not remembering or didn't find. For how well crafted the rest of the emotional beats in the game are (Takaya Kuroda slayed that scene after the final boss), I'm genuinely baffled at how the end of the life links makes sense. So if I'm missing something or anyone has a more optimistic reading on that I would genuinely love to hear it.

There's other stuff but this post is long enough for this. Still enjoying the game a lot (doing Big Swell and wrapping up Kasuga's sidequests) so it's not like I'm burnt out from it. Just about every gameplay change they've done from 7 to 8 has been for the better, I feel. If I post anything longer it'll probably go to the Yakuza thread proper now that I can finally read it, was just organizing my thoughts on the game and this one bit is really breaking my mind lol

Tl;dr: Sujimon gets very boring very fast even if there are some good jokes around it

I felt similarly to it, I get that by making the side activities like that is to push Kiryu's conflict and frustrations to the forefront and the main plot will address that but apart from some moments in the final chapter they dropped the ball and failed to resonate emotionally where it really should have. The achievement at the end did bring a smile up in me but it was a small penance.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The nigh eternal impossibility seems to finally be on the relative cusp of happening: Secrets of Grindea is nearly done and coming to Steam and such

https://www.secretsofgrindea.com/index.php/blog/12645

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nice website from 2001

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

i already played them

have you played the another century episode games?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ExiledTinkerer posted:

The nigh eternal impossibility seems to finally be on the relative cusp of happening: Secrets of Grindea is nearly done and coming to Steam and such

Is it grindy, or is that supposed to be the secret

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Xenoblade: Spike damage was such an awful, iredeemable mechanic in the series. You fight a boss or a monster and then when you hit the second phase everyone dies of radiation because you didn't notice a status effect that is otherwise unmentioned by the UI. XC3 fixed the mechanic by almost entirely removing it.

I'm reminded of a boss in the bad Octopath game where he offhandedly decides to full party wipe for 2000+ ten minutes into the fight.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 20, 2024

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I think that's one of those cases where the Japanese name might be in English but it's in goofy enough English (or viewed as goofy enough English) that they try to go for something that has a similar tone.

i just finished pokemon xd gale of darkness and learned the villain's name was changed from Deathgold to Greevil in localization. similarly the villain of colosseum's jp name was Wardack and was changed to Evice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
or, re: a game on this page, pyra/mythra

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/goypt0.mp4

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Hell yeah

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spriggan turned out to be incredibly jank in a way i'm not equipped to deal with currently and i wanna save echo night for october so i jumped ahead to eternal ring. feel like this game has the slowest start of their early rpgs but once you get past that it's pretty fun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rolLe7il3Zs

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sakurazuka posted:

Nice website from 2001

that's when they started making the game

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
You can tell the website is legitimately old and not just retro styled because they have a forum link instead of a discord link.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

that just leaves Black Ice to be finished https://store.steampowered.com/app/311800/Black_Ice/

10 year anniversary of early access launch in 5 months!

ghastly
Nov 10, 2023

Last Celebration posted:

A real gamer stands beside their favorite titles while admitting that, just like almost any other game, it has flaws. Stand proud gamer, like everyone who somehow thinks Final Fantasy VI is the best one.

It's subjective but there are solid reasons to say FFVI is the best one. It was more original and detailed than the earlier games but didn't waste your time with 100 hour long incomprehensible plots like the later games. Zozo, for example, was an original concept that blew my mind when I first played it as a kid. A town with random encounters? What? It was only later that I realized Zozo was a metaphor for the inner city. The broken down multi-story buildings are projects, the random encounters are getting jumped (PVP is VERY much enabled in the 'hood), and the passed out NPCs have had a few too many forties. Even the never-ending line of guys giving you clues about the Chainsaw make more sense when you realize it's a welfare line. It was easier to notice all this because I lived in the 'hood for a year as a teenager, and I'm so glad I got out of that shithole.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That's right, Raspy.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Uhuh

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
don't think Japanese cities are like that

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Christ I literally forgot I bought this game like ten years ago.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ghastly posted:

It's subjective but there are solid reasons to say FFVI is the best one. It was more original and detailed than the earlier games but didn't waste your time with 100 hour long incomprehensible plots like the later games. Zozo, for example, was an original concept that blew my mind when I first played it as a kid. A town with random encounters? What? It was only later that I realized Zozo was a metaphor for the inner city. The broken down multi-story buildings are projects, the random encounters are getting jumped (PVP is VERY much enabled in the 'hood), and the passed out NPCs have had a few too many forties. Even the never-ending line of guys giving you clues about the Chainsaw make more sense when you realize it's a welfare line. It was easier to notice all this because I lived in the 'hood for a year as a teenager, and I'm so glad I got out of that shithole.

Hmmm. Don't post like that any more.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

ghastly posted:

wwhat the

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think I understood what they were getting at with that post, but it could have been worded significantly better.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Now what's the analysis of the old man in the road in Pokemon

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
just more evidence that FFV is the best one

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I said come in! posted:

I think I understood what they were getting at with that post, but it could have been worded significantly better.

There was no way to make "Zozo represents 'the hood'" or anything in the second half of that post sound good, like, at all

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Hmmm. Don't post like that any more.

Destroy him.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MechaX posted:

There was no way to make "Zozo represents 'the hood'" or anything in the second half of that post sound good, like, at all

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
Personally I find it amusing they're responding to a week old post that probably even the OP forgot they made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought this was the Final Fantasy thread but I wonder what the insane posts about it on forums outside of America look like.