Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm gonna do a new game from scratch and invest another million hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

maybe I'll feel better about it when it doesn't take so long to actually get on helldivers' servers. as is, it feels upsetting to get into the game and then have to put up with some moron who can't aim taking control away from me in intermittent bursts

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

It'd be wild if I gained a superpower that let me control All the World's AI, and I just made all the AI algorithms output nothing but pictures of Kermit the Frog and short stories about Kermit the Frog.

idk if that's really a superpower. you could just delete all the portions of the databases that did not include "kermit" as part of the tag. although perhaps doing that to all of the "ai" databases could be considered a superpower.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hatebag posted:

sam, big swordman here;

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Whirling posted:

maybe I'll feel better about it when it doesn't take so long to actually get on helldivers' servers. as is, it feels upsetting to get into the game and then have to put up with some moron who can't aim taking control away from me in intermittent bursts

many people are calling it "hellservers boo"

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I just beat Elden Ring last night for the third time

guess I’m going right back in. I can’t help myself. OHHHHHH

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i just realized I could get Elden Ring on the PS5

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Whirling posted:

feel like I'm the wrong kind of person to play Helldivers because my friend bought me it and I get really frustrated when people friendly fire me for no real reason because I don't like sitting around doing nothing for a few minutes

teach your friends to start hammering reinforcement. It's dumb to wait until the end of the fight

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Goddammit I want to play hell divers, let me in!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Al! posted:

Communion with the Greater Will as a Service CwtGWaaS
Reminiscing about other developers hating on Elden Ring because it defied their lovely UI design but the peasants ate it up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Hatebag posted:

sam, big swordman here;

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol at my dogmatic playthrough and ending my conversation with yriel like "whoops almost forgot the last one" *blammo*

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
don't care about Hell Divers anymore. in the foreseeable future i will be too busy Elden' Around.

the ceo of the Hell Divers dev came out and said you shouldn't buy it right now. lmao

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
lmao Helldivers literally just now hit another all-time peak of 448k players on Steam.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

1stGear posted:

lmao Helldivers literally just now hit another all-time peak of 448k players on Steam.

they should use all those sales to purchase a new server!!!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
It's a launch, it's part of the fun. Thinking about getting it. Seems like it's got some legs as a pick up and play kinda casual game.

How is matchmaking? Are people mic'd up? How agreeable is the rando doing Rambo poo poo?

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
elden ring was good but its my first souls game and i just used brick hammer the entire game and kinda regret it. i wish i did a dex/bleed build instead

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

KirbyKhan posted:

It's a launch, it's part of the fun. Thinking about getting it. Seems like it's got some legs as a pick up and play kinda casual game.

How is matchmaking? Are people mic'd up? How agreeable is the rando doing Rambo poo poo?

last time i played it the matchmaking did not work. if you got into a game at all (good luck) you'd just be in there solo to die horribly.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
i understand having queues at launch. there aren't queues tho, it just says "servers at capacity" and then tries to reconnect you again 50 seconds later

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
isn't the whole point of cloud computing that somebody else always has server hardware at the ready so you can very easily scale up operations by just purchasing more server time

what the gently caress is taking so long

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

i understand having queues at launch. there aren't queues tho, it just says "servers at capacity" and then tries to reconnect you again 50 seconds later

I just randomly got in but everything is loving broken and I can't join quick play. I think the "peak" enjoyment of the game being super fresh and fun is gone and people are gonna stop giving a poo poo because they can't play it and will move on to other games. The new greatest game of all time is out in 8 days and I will probably never play this again.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

isn't the whole point of cloud computing that somebody else always has server hardware at the ready so you can very easily scale up operations by just purchasing more server time

what the gently caress is taking so long

problem is they're having to go back in and rewrite code to be more efficient for the game to even work under this strain. they can't just put a bandage on with cloud servers.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

uber_stoat posted:

problem is they're having to go back in and rewrite code to be more efficient for the game to even work under this strain. they can't just put a bandage on with cloud servers.

Apparently multiplayer is peer to peer which is really funny if true.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

matchmaking is a bit hosed but 9/10 of the randoms I did play last week were great and more competent than me.

Definitely very casual friendly. There's like 10 different difficulty levels so you can really fine tune it to how much effort you want to put in.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol just tried a solo game and I think it's stuck loading

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's a lottery system

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

There's like 10 different difficulty levels so you can really fine tune it to how much effort you want to put in.

oh huh wow maybe I should pick this up

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
They probably have a single mysql database running off a Dell in their office with everyone's username and password that's overloaded.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

being completely honest, don't bother buying it yet, especially if you have kids or whatever and only a couple hours a night to play games. odds are you won't be able to play. poo poo is just too busted

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

helldivers looks cool. but it seems like the game is never going to be good if there aren't dedicated servers so idk why anyone would give them money

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i got in after 5 minutes and played for a few hours last night

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hatebag posted:

helldivers looks cool. but it seems like the game is never going to be good if there aren't dedicated servers so idk why anyone would give them money

good chance it just dies because of the bad vibes. seems like they really hosed up the code and you can't just fix that in two seconds

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

also ff7r2 is gonna keep me from any other game for a good month and a half at least, after which point I'm immediately going to start p3

i fortunately got my $40 of enjoyment but i'll likely never be playing it again unless they fix the game and some neat new poo poo drops. i'm also at level 21 and the missions are getting kinda boring which isn't helped by the game not working so i can't even easily grind things out

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

drat... not bad vibes...

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

server problems have plagued games since servers existed but everyone is convinced that it's something that they could easily solve

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I could solve it. I just choose not to

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zokari posted:

server problems have plagued games since servers existed but everyone is convinced that it's something that they could easily solve

yup

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Servers and matchmaking being a dumpster fire at launch just feels like something that is expected with online multiplayer games. Like if the servers were working perfectly people would be speculating that the numbers were inflated somehow.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
halo 2 always worked fine idk what you guys are talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

alarumklok posted:

last epoch comes out tomorrow, which should be sick af. too bad I'm playing cataclysm dda and pressing 40 different keys to move a cardboard box from one tile to another

As someone who loves the gently caress out of CDDA but has seen basically everything it has to offer, have you found any other game that scratches that itch? I tried Project Zomboid, but cutting out mutations and only having a single enemy type made it super boring (not to mention I didn't like it being real-time).