Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Biggest disappointment of 2023?
The Dallas Cowboys (gently caress 'em)
The New York Giants
The Philadephia Eagles
The Washington Washingtons
Myself for watching NFC East Clownball
View Results

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

powerful Columbus boulevard energy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

euphronius posted:

powerful Columbus boulevard energy

It's called Delaware Ave

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
i got a food processor from ticket winnings at the columbus boulevard dave and buster's

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Your right I apologize

Powerful Delaware avenue energy

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

The Elizabeth IKEA is neat place to watch planes flying into or out of ewr

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

biceps crimes posted:

[quote="MrMojok" post="537904803"]
Jimmy’s on the ring of honor and is now back in the fold with the team, so I think you’ll find it’s actually going to be “Congratulations to Super Bowl LIX Champion Dallas Cowboys”

If the Cowboys immediately win the Super Bowl after bringing Jimmy back and Jimmy gets all the credit, would the resulting jealousy cause Jerry to have a McGriddle-assisted aneurysm?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
One can only hope

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1760420459185578051?s=20

quote:

At a time when FS1 host Craig Carton has hinted at (but has not disclosed) a potentially salacious “real reason” for the implosion of the Eagles in 2023, long-time Eagles reporter Derrick Gunn has offered something more concrete, and far less juicy.

According to Gunn, the banishment of Eagles security chief Dom DiSandro from the sidelines after he made contact with 49ers linebacker Dre Greenlaw during a December 3 game against San Francisco threw coach Nick Sirianni off balance. Gunn posted on X that “Big Dom” “controls Sirianni emotions on sideline” and that “in his absence Nick gets in numerous arguments with players/coaches during games.”

The Eagles went into a free fall after the Big Dom sideline suspension, which lasted for the rest of the regular season. The Eagles won only one more game and surrendered the division title to the Cowboys. (After the lone victory — on Christmas over the Giants — Sirianni admitted he was “too tense” during the game.)

The Eagles lost in the wild-card round of the playoffs with DiSandro present. By then, however, the damage had been done. The Eagles were lifeless and punchless in a 32-9 embarrassment against the Buccaneers.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

the babysitter needs a babysitter

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nick Sirianni is an embarrassment of a coach. I highly doubt Big Dom reeled him in since the idiot couldn't even keep himself from getting into it with an opposing player. The Eagles entire sideline these last few years has been a stupid bravado fest full of the most obnoxious players in the league. The team's behavior off the field is indicative of the coach being a smug poo poo talker, just a rotten apple.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

one of those stories you only publish when the knives are out, lmao

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Derrick Gunn is also well respected and connected with the team so I don't doubt the reporting either. Someone went to him

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Sirianni can't function without Big Dom, Sirianni is a sub confirmed

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mods, change my name to “Big Dom” TYIA

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

shyduck posted:

Derrick Gunn is also well respected and connected with the team so I don't doubt the reporting either. Someone went to him

it's extremely stupid and thus deeply believable

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

One can only hope

Hey, blarzgh, I need you help with something that I'm having a surprisingly hard time figuring out:

How many Super Bowl champions fielded a wide receiver that had 100 catches during the season? Or a receiver at all

I remember hearing it discussed somewhere and it was surprisingly low to the point that it got me wondering if having a True WR1 like that was actually showing a lack of offensive balance or whatever and if, overall, it's better to have 3 or 4 guys that can get open (which I think it is). KC didn't have one the last 2 years although Kelce got 110 two years ago.

I went back 10 years and got:

Rams, Cooper Kupp
Bucs: No
KC: No
NE: No
PHI: No
DEN: Damarius Thomas
SEA: No

10 More Years:
Nobody

So I kinda stopped there. That's TWO in the last 20 years, even counting tight ends and RB's (I think). I thought it was interesting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brady spreads it around and he’s like half of those

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

Hey, blarzgh, I need you help with something that I'm having a surprisingly hard time figuring out:

How many Super Bowl champions fielded a wide receiver that had 100 catches during the season? Or a receiver at all

I remember hearing it discussed somewhere and it was surprisingly low to the point that it got me wondering if having a True WR1 like that was actually showing a lack of offensive balance or whatever and if, overall, it's better to have 3 or 4 guys that can get open (which I think it is). KC didn't have one the last 2 years although Kelce got 110 two years ago.

I went back 10 years and got:

Rams, Cooper Kupp
Bucs: No
KC: No
PHI: No
DEN: Damarius Thomas
SEA: No

10 More Years:
Nobody

So I kinda stopped there. That's TWO in the last 20 years, even counting tight ends and RB's (I think). I thought it was interesting.

That's super fascinating. It got me wondering how many 100 catch players there were each year, and a cursory look on my phone shows that there are about 10/year back to 2018, 7/year to 2013, and ~4 a year from 2013-2023.

To me that feel like a large enough sample to say there's a little something there, when the top offenses aren't winning Superbowls, maybe it says that the top defenses are finding ways to take their only option away, which weeds out those one trick teams during the playoffs.

In that sense I'm kind of with Euphornius but In That NE, KC, LA and pretty much all those teams on there had Elite defenses.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

*John Facenda Voice of God*

Defense wins championships

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BiggerBoat posted:

I remember when this came up before. As a quick check, Jerry Rice had 112 for the 1994 49ers, and Michael Irvin had 111 the next year for Dallas.

I know there’s probably also a bunch of guys who came close too. Like, Marvin Harrison had 95 for the 2006 Colts, Kelce had 97 for the first Chiefs Super Bowl team in 2019, Edelman had 92 and 98 during two of the Patriots runs, and there might be a few other teams had guys with 90+ catches even with the ball getting distributed a bit.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think depending where you set the cut off maybe it's not that relevant.

I'll bet the most accurate picture you could get would be if you sort Super bowl winning teams by where their top receiving option ranked in number of targets throughout the regular season.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Or if you had access to some of the more advanced databases, sort them by percentage of target share

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Another point: better teams are ultimately running the ball more to protect leads, so I bet they have fewer total passes overall [not my idea, stolen from twitter]

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
While he's not a WR I think it should be noted that Kelce had 97 Targets in 2019, 110 last year, and 93 this year even as the only viable target

the list of dudes with 100 receptions in the past few years is honestly kind of a mix of dudes who are the obvious crutch on offense like Devonte Adams or Justin Jefferson, and random guys you wouldn't have expected to see up there like Diontae Johnson for Pittsburgh in 2021

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 22, 2024

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Hunter Renfrow got 103 a couple years ago!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
they're making that Eli Manning Chad Powers sketch into a series. but it looks like it doesn't star him so I’m not that interested

e: may as well put in a link to the story https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/glen-powell-michael-waldron-hulu-comedy-series-eli-manning-chad-powers-1235919371/amp/

e2: it's by the Loki showrunner? very strange choice

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

blarzgh posted:

Another point: better teams are ultimately running the ball more to protect leads, so I bet they have fewer total passes overall [not my idea, stolen from twitter]

I hadn't thought of that.

I think it kind of speaks somehow to the idea that the best teams usually have multiple options and that makes them harder to defend but I don't know. It's just such a weird outlier to me. There's been 156 people to do it and lots of big names on several playoff/playoff caliber teams

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/rec_single_season.htm

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://fxtwitter.com/i/status/1761085048080441801/

Friendly reminder that stories about cap hits and contract numbers are all fake narratives, pushed by owners to depress player values and keep money in their own pockets.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

can you bet on what the 2025 cap will be

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

If you know where to go, you can bet on anything

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/CommandersCLT/status/1761091609259655599?s=20

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Boy that's a tortured joke, there's so many easy slam dunks you can make on the cowboys and you put that out?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Aj brown called in to WIP

week 6 TO driveway workout meltdown confirmed.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What did he say

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

indigi posted:

What did he say

Wanted to clear up "media BS", says he loves being there, he's not blaming or trying to blame anyone, he's bothered by TO comparisons, and any frustration he has in the moment when he's seen on the sideline or gets on social media gets amplified, misconstrued or taken out of context https://www.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/a-j-brown-calls-to-confront-wip-show-jalen-hurts-nfl-2023-season/566895/

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Full disclosure I didn't actually read the full transcript because everyone knows how the script goes for star skill position player talking to the media about how there is definitely no internal division or strife while the team is losing. So I'm amused he did bring up the TO comparison. Philly vibes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aj has always been as mad and disgusted as I have been at the same moment

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

AJ said he wants to be a Cowboy

He wants to wear the greatest uniform ever created for a sports team. He wants to proudly wear the star on his helmet.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

MrMojok posted:

AJ said he wants to be a Cowboy

He wants to wear the greatest uniform ever created for a sports team. He wants to proudly wear the star on his helmet.

You misspelled the Michigan uniform and winged helmet

But I doubt AJ has any NCAA eligibility left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

predicto posted:

You misspelled the Michigan uniform and winged helmet

But I doubt AJ has any NCAA eligibility left

University of Delaware is a modest 45 minute drive from broadsheet down 95* (traffic conditions notwithstanding)