Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Peanut3141 posted:

Did they join you in a fistbump three-way with a nearby homeless person?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why buy a $2k acceleration boost when Aliexpress has this for like :10bux:

I am ashamed that I did not think of this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

this.
I mean I guess I could keep a trailer, but I don't want to have to pay to store it somewhere then drive out of my way to go get it every time I needed it.

Nitrox posted:

This may come as a surprise, but very few construction trades actually make use of a picture truck. Cargo vans are the default tool and supply carriers. And everyone who needs the extra seating capacity, will compromise by getting a pickup and then a designated trailer.

Not surprising at all.
Having your tools stolen really loving sucks.

That being said, the frunk is really great for storing tools AND makes a makeshift workbench. I already got to put it to use by throwing my hot air station and soldering iron in there and using the outlets and space to do some electronics repair for a friend in a single trip instead of having to drive to them, bring stuff home, and then go drop it back off with them.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

NZAmoeba posted:

Hi thread

(It was the wife's choice ok?)

Wow, that is a car that looks much better in black (to hide the grill).

Os Furoris posted:

For some people having a truck makes sense. Some of us have a truck *gasp* and a small EV we try to use as much as possible. It sucks they are so big and heavy but not everyone wrings their hands about every consumer choice.

It would be nice if there were more small EV trucks, or more small trucks in general, they're easier to load and unload and you rarely need something half-ton sized anyways.

I ended up keeping my Ranger and getting a small EV for commuting, wanted a Rivian but holy gently caress are they expensive.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well during my 30 day probe i finally acquired a new 2LT Bolt from a dealer in pdx, had to stay overnight because they dont loving charge cars (wtf) before they put them up for sale

great car, love it, no ragrets

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can really only have one vehicle right now. My normal everyday use is just commuting 26 miles to/from work each way.
I do truck stuff pretty often, and unfortunately can't keep a trailer in my neighborhood. So, I'm stuck with a vehicle that has an open bed to do truck stuff like hauling motorcycles or going to the dump, transporting manure or trees, or getting construction materials. I haven't been camping or biking in a while (having babies kinda puts a damper on that), but I always enjoyed having a truck for those sorts of activities as well. Much more preferable to just dump all of your dirty camping/biking stuff into a truck bed rather than into the cabin of another sort of vehicle. If I could have two vehicles than a minivan or suv or wagon and a beater truck would have been fine.
But yeah, I've always had a truck of some sort, and since the chicken-tax makes it not economically viable to have a small truck, I'm stuck with big truck.

i figured it was for that sort of homeownery type stuff. how much room is in the trunk?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

OBAMNA PHONE posted:

well during my 30 day probe i finally acquired a new 2LT Bolt from a dealer in pdx, had to stay overnight because they dont loving charge cars (wtf) before they put them up for sale

great car, love it, no ragrets

The dealership I got my EUV from was about 75 minutes away from my house. I called in the morning before I went down there to confirm they still had the one I wanted, and the salesperson later informed me that after that call ended she immediately plugged it in so it would be charged for me to drive it home that day.

In other words, skill issue (on the part of the dealer).

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hey, it looks like maybe Tesla is doing the CCS retrofit finally?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

cruft posted:

Hey, it looks like maybe Tesla is doing the CCS retrofit finally?

Still not available in the app

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Still not available in the app

:argh:

Os Furoris
Aug 19, 2002

Elviscat posted:

It would be nice if there were more small EV trucks, or more small trucks in general, they're easier to load and unload and you rarely need something half-ton sized anyways.

I ended up keeping my Ranger and getting a small EV for commuting, wanted a Rivian but holy gently caress are they expensive.

Agreed. However we are a family of four and everyone is tall so the half ton cab size is really nice for extended trips, camping etc. I also don't have to worry about charging infrastructure with our higher capacity fuel tank (~650 miles between fill ups). My kids also really wanted a Rivian but poppa aint made of money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

The dealership I got my EUV from was about 75 minutes away from my house. I called in the morning before I went down there to confirm they still had the one I wanted, and the salesperson later informed me that after that call ended she immediately plugged it in so it would be charged for me to drive it home that day.

In other words, skill issue (on the part of the dealer).

Yeah it's definitely their fault but I think all of these dealers should be in the habit of charging them up to almost full as soon as they hit the lot. It's not like its gas which will go bad if it sits too long

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

looks like S/X only, maybe that's been the case for a while

quote:

This accessory requires a service retrofit (currently available for Model S and Model X). Schedule Service in the Tesla app.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nitrox posted:

This may come as a surprise, but very few construction trades actually make use of a picture truck. Cargo vans are the default tool and supply carriers. And everyone who needs the extra seating capacity, will compromise by getting a pickup and then a designated trailer.
I have never been able to understand why the "Crew Van" configuration with a second row of finished passenger space in front of the cargo partition is so uncommon in the US. I don't think any of the classic American vans ever offered such a configuration from the factory and even the couple of modern European-style vans that do offer it now only have a subset of the configurations available elsewhere.

It seems like it should be obviously better for any application where severe off road or towing wasn't important. It's like a crew cab pickup with a topper, but with more space for both passengers and cargo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

wolrah posted:

I have never been able to understand why the "Crew Van" configuration with a second row of finished passenger space in front of the cargo partition is so uncommon in the US. I don't think any of the classic American vans ever offered such a configuration from the factory and even the couple of modern European-style vans that do offer it now only have a subset of the configurations available elsewhere.

It seems like it should be obviously better for any application where severe off road or towing wasn't important. It's like a crew cab pickup with a topper, but with more space for both passengers and cargo.
Because we have crew cab pickups with optional toppers. Vans in general aren't as popular in the US as overseas.

Vans are basically regular cab pickups with enclosed cargo areas. CUVs are 2 rows for people and a small enclosed/finished cargo areas. SUVs are for 2/3 rows of people with small-medium sized enclosed/finished cargo areas. Pickups are 2 rows for people with unfinished infinite height cargo areas.

Very few consumers these days want (emphasis on want vs need) a single row for people.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

the above poster doesn't consider tradespeople to be "people" or even "consumers". when he says "everyone", he means "wannabe rich suburbanites" because he is unable to conceptualize any experience other than his own

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Even tradespeople usually only get the 2-seat van. If a job needs 3 people then there's a second vehicle.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I shall now gripe about the Model 3.

• The autosteer is not built for rural roads: not even rural Interstate highways. It loses its mind at night because it doesn't see anything out the left cameras, and assumes that means they're broken. They're not broken. It's just dark outside.
  • When somebody finally passes in the opposing direction, the car's like, oh, I guess the cameras are okay after all, and clears the error. Then, 6 seconds later, it yells at you because the cameras are broken. They're not broken. It's just dark outside.
  • I've recently stopped carrying around a smartphone, and the experience with the car is the only crappy thing I've noticed. You can't even open the trunk without traveling to the driver's side door with your keycard. There's a keyfob, but it lacks proximity detection, you have to press a button to unlock the car, like it's 1997.
  • There is no (Tesla-provided) way to remote-start the climate controls without a smartphone. Tesla won't let me install the app on my Android-capable Chromebook. There's still no Siri or Google Assistant integration. I set up an IFTTT thing years ago so I could say "Okay Google, get the car ready." Why the hell does Tesla still not provide this?
  • The driver-facing camera flakes out when it's hot outside, and then you have to downgrade from the lane centering that adjusts the speed based on road signs to the one that happily continues going 45MPH in a 65MPH zone. This is annoying on highways that enter and exit little towns every 10 miles: especially after becoming accustomed to the car noticing the speed limit changes. I probably need to get this fixed, the car's 5 years old now. But this is my gripe list, and that's a gripe.
  • I can't schedule a service appointment without using the app on a smartphone. So the only way I can get my car fixed is to go find the phone I'm no longer using, turn it on, wait for it to boot, log in, go to the app, and do that little dance. Logging in to the web site helpfully provides a button to walk me through installing the app on a smartphone.
  • It habitually over-estimates its own efficiency on road trips. If we leave when it tells us to, we either have to turn around, or drive slowly on the Interstate, because the car's always like "whoops, tee hee, I'm using 10% more battery than I thought I would!". Every. Time.
  • The factory paint colors are lame.

It's still the best car I've owned by a country mile. But it's also a car, and, therefore, annoying as hell.

Okay, thanks for listening.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 21, 2024

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Cactus Ghost posted:

the above poster doesn't consider tradespeople to be "people" or even "consumers". when he says "everyone", he means "wannabe rich suburbanites" because he is unable to conceptualize any experience other than his own
Please show me where I said everyone. Like the guy below you said, plumbers/electricians/trades are usually 1 or 2 people and a bunch of equipment. They use single row vans. There are exceptions, and stuff like shuttles for carrying a bunch of people specifically, but that's the exception not the rule.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
4 seater vans are also pretty rare in Europe. You got 2 seaters for hauling or a bus config with 6-8 seats for people.
Last 4 seater I rode, was a dedicated wheelchair taxi that had the cargo space setup so that you can roll in and sit in your own wheelchair during the drive.

And if you use a bus van for professional purposes then your gear is probably on one of those big transport vehicles, not idea what they are called in America.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

cruft posted:

• It habitually over-estimates its own efficiency on road trips. If we leave when it tells us to, we either have to turn around, or drive slowly on the Interstate, because the car's always like "whoops, tee hee, I'm using 10% more battery than I thought I would!". Every. Time.

Do you leave when it says "You are ready to proceed on your journey" or just when you do the math and leave when you see that it thinks you'll arrive at your next destination with 15%+ or whatever?

I haven't done a road trip since last summer but IIRC one of those ways works and one of them doesn't but I thought it was the "You're ready to go" that works fine and the other way screws you, because while it's sitting there charging it forgets that you're driving 5 mph over the speed limit into a 10 mph headwind (or whatever) so when it says you're going to arrive with 15% left it actually means you're going to arrive with 0%, but if you actually leave when it says you're ready to go, it's going to charge you to 28% above what you need to arrive so you're actually okay.

There's something definitely stupid happening but I can't remember in which scenario lies the stupid, I just know one works and one doesn't.

Once you're back on the road the forecasts are usually extremely accurate from my experience e.g. I was comfortable arriving at the next charger with 2% one time.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ever since they implemented inclement weather in their routes, Tesla’s efficiency estimates are spot on for me on longer (50+ mile) trips.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Had an "ah crap, I'm overdue for an oil change" thought last week. It was nice to realize that, no, no I am not.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i guess maybe evs have gear oil in the diffs?

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

cruft posted:

I have gripes about mine too, but it seems funny to me how many of these are a result of you choosing to buy a car designed to be paired to a smartphone and then throwing away your smartphone.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Cactus Ghost posted:

i figured it was for that sort of homeownery type stuff. how much room is in the trunk?

enough to curl up and take a nap.

Also, I jinxed myself. Chargers at work are no longer free AND they cost $3/hr plus $.20/kWh.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Loucks posted:

I have gripes about mine too, but it seems funny to me how many of these are a result of you choosing to buy a car designed to be paired to a smartphone and then throwing away your smartphone.

I mean, you're not wrong. But it still feels like a bad decision on Tesla's part. This isn't a problem with any other manufacturer.

bird with big dick posted:

Do you leave when it says "You are ready to proceed on your journey" or just when you do the math and leave when you see that it thinks you'll arrive at your next destination with 15%+ or whatever?

If we leave when it says "you are ready", we have to either slow down or turn around. If we leave when it says we'll arrive at the next stop with 20%, we arrive at the next stop with 10%. It's been this way since we had the Model S. We're just in the habit of not leaving until it says 20%, and if there's wind or it's cold, we'll wait until it says 25%. Then we roll in around 8%, typically.

I'm not going to talk about the speed I drive, because it will cause another 2-page derail. But suffice to say that unless the car doesn't understand Interstate highway speeds, there's no reason it should be over-estimating energy use. I'm not even steering: I'm just supervising the car keeping itself between the lines for 2-hour stretches.

I guess I was hoping that at some point the software would be like "hey, this is the third time today I've underestimated consumption by 10%, I'm going to readjust the estimate". It's a dumb gotcha that other drivers have mentioned to us when we're charging. Maybe it's just the region: most of our longer trips are I-25 and I-40.

I've wondered since the S whether Telsa's maps think we're going to drive 65MPH on the Interstate. That, at least, would explain why it's wrong every time.

cruft fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 22, 2024

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
I know this is probably missing the point somewhat because hey why buy a car with a feature when you dont use that feature

But

i drive over 500km a week in my Model Y and the most automated driving i use is the TACC (ie, adaptive cruise control), which since the past couple of updates has been pretty solid, the phantom braking thing that some people go nuts over has been for me a pretty rare gentle backing off of the throttle in very specific (and largely predictable) circumstances, i mean some people are saying their car literally jams on the brakes at speed, which i find hard to believe

I dont get all bent out of shape about this stuff but maybe thats because i just DRIVE THE drat CAR MYSELF because i like driving instead of getting all excited about automated gimmickery

It is still the best car I've ever owned by far and, though i couldnt guarantee my next car would be a Tesla (although there would be a reasonable chance), it will definitely be an EV

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm glad you're happy with your car :)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ROFLBOT posted:

I know this is probably missing the point somewhat because hey why buy a car with a feature when you dont use that feature

But

i drive over 500km a week in my Model Y and the most automated driving i use is the TACC (ie, adaptive cruise control), which since the past couple of updates has been pretty solid, the phantom braking thing that some people go nuts over has been for me a pretty rare gentle backing off of the throttle in very specific (and largely predictable) circumstances, i mean some people are saying their car literally jams on the brakes at speed, which i find hard to believe

The phantom braking can be harder than max regen, which I would personally qualify as "jamming on the brakes at speed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKqKrG5H_bo

It sure as gently caress ain't no "gently backing off the throttle."

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

cruft posted:

• The autosteer is not built for rural roads: not even rural Interstate highways. It loses its mind at night because it doesn't see anything out the left cameras, and assumes that means they're broken. They're not broken. It's just dark outside.
  • When somebody finally passes in the opposing direction, the car's like, oh, I guess the cameras are okay after all, and clears the error. Then, 6 seconds later, it yells at you because the cameras are broken. They're not broken. It's just dark outside.
  • The driver-facing camera flakes out when it's hot outside, and then you have to downgrade from the lane centering that adjusts the speed based on road signs to the one that happily continues going 45MPH in a 65MPH zone. This is annoying on highways that enter and exit little towns every 10 miles: especially after becoming accustomed to the car noticing the speed limit changes. I probably need to get this fixed, the car's 5 years old now. But this is my gripe list, and that's a gripe.

I’ve never experienced these on my 2019 Model 3; on my pretty windy rural roads on the commute to the office, Enhanced Autopilot might as well be actually-working FSD for how often I have to manually intervene. This sounds like a genuine fault to me.

cruft posted:

• There is no (Tesla-provided) way to remote-start the climate controls without a smartphone. Tesla won't let me install the app on my Android-capable Chromebook. There's still no Siri or Google Assistant integration. I set up an IFTTT thing years ago so I could say "Okay Google, get the car ready." Why the hell does Tesla still not provide this?

Given that for Tesla, smartphone ownership is basically a de facto requirement, I don’t know that it would make sense for them to invest in dedicated integrations instead of leaning on what’s available in the smartphone host OS (for example, I could set up shortcuts so that I could yell at Siri to warm up my car or whatever).

cruft posted:

Yeah, I agree this feels like something the vehicle should “learn” based on driving habits or historical route data from the fleet, or at least provide a toggle somewhere. I suspect it would result in reduced range estimates for most EVs in practical use though, not just Teslas.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Montreal is great for electric cars, I just paid $1 for an hour of street parking+charging. The normal parking rate is typically $3 an hour at least.

Also put 7kWh in the car at the same time, maths out to 15c per kWh. The rate I pay at home is 10c per.

Québec is the Saudi Arabia of cheap hydro power, it owns.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

cruft posted:

Ever thought about trading it in for the new redesign? The Hardware 4 cameras are supposed to have better low-light performance.

Plus the latest software update lets the car account for battery degradation when calculating range, though that should already be available to you.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

cruft posted:

I mean, you're not wrong. But it still feels like a bad decision on Tesla's part. This isn't a problem with any other manufacturer.

If we leave when it says "you are ready", we have to either slow down or turn around. If we leave when it says we'll arrive at the next stop with 20%, we arrive at the next stop with 10%. It's been this way since we had the Model S. We're just in the habit of not leaving until it says 20%, and if there's wind or it's cold, we'll wait until it says 25%. Then we roll in around 8%, typically.

I'm not going to talk about the speed I drive, because it will cause another 2-page derail. But suffice to say that unless the car doesn't understand Interstate highway speeds, there's no reason it should be over-estimating energy use. I'm not even steering: I'm just supervising the car keeping itself between the lines for 2-hour stretches.

I guess I was hoping that at some point the software would be like "hey, this is the third time today I've underestimated consumption by 10%, I'm going to readjust the estimate". It's a dumb gotcha that other drivers have mentioned to us when we're charging. Maybe it's just the region: most of our longer trips are I-25 and I-40.

I've wondered since the S whether Telsa's maps think we're going to drive 65MPH on the Interstate. That, at least, would explain why it's wrong every time.

You’re in NM right? Could it be the wind, I remember it being extra wild every time I went to NM. Or is this consumption direction agnostic.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Went to refill the washer fluid in my ID.4 and struggle for a while trying to find the safety latch. Turns out the latch lever is made of plastic and has somehow the tip of the lever has broken off. Now I have to reach lower into hood and push a bit harder due to the loss of leverage.

Then when I finally get the hood open, I ominously see the remnants of two plastic clips that have settled themselves in some nooks on the cladding that covering some module that right front and center where one would expect an engine. Eventually, I figure out that the clips are there to retain plastic standoffs where rubber feet on the hood rests on. Looking closer I see said plastic standoffs wedged between the cladding and the module underneath.

Is this the legendary German plastics engineering that I've heard so much about? God help me if the coolant system uses plastic impellers that will disintegrate in due course. In spite of broken exterior plastics, the car doesn't seem adversely affected. There are two more remaining standoffs which may account for the lack of harsher NVH. Weird thing is I have no idea what could have caused that damage as nothing out of the ordinary happened.

The hood safety latch is the biggest pain in the rear end right now but at least the part that broke looks fairly trivial to replace. That said, I don't trust replacing it with OEM parts that just going to break again.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
my jetta even after being smashed up the hood latch was fine, you might want to take your car to the dealer op

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

The phantom braking can be harder than max regen, which I would personally qualify as "jamming on the brakes at speed."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKqKrG5H_bo

It sure as gently caress ain't no "gently backing off the throttle."

"I did know it was going to happen, because it did it like 30 times that day."

Sounds more like a fault with his car than a typical experience. I mean i've talked about having phantom braking events myself, but they have never been anything remotely like actually hitting the brakes.

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 22, 2024

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

ROFLBOT posted:

"I did know it was going to happen, because it did it like 30 times that day."

Sounds more like a fault with his car than a typical experience. I mean i've talked about having phantom braking events myself, but they have never been anything remotely like actually hitting the brakes.

Except he has made three appointments with Tesla and Tesla says his car is fine and is working as intended including after seeing the video.

Do you mostly drive in areas that aren't similar to those in the video? Because when it happens is when traffic is sparse (so sightlines are long) and there are heat mirages on the pavement which the car mistakes for vehicles stopped in the road.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I've had my model 3 dip into nearly AEB level stopping force from people turning in front of me closer than I would have attempted while I was traveling at highway speeds. Otherwise the few true phantom braking occasions I've had have been pretty gentle and most of them are fairly predictable, sometimes the car slows down gently as you are nearing the crest of a hill and can't see over it, but it is never even remotely close to a hard brake like when the system is responding to a real potential hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005

Do you mostly drive in areas that aren't similar to those in the video? Because when it happens is when traffic is sparse (so sightlines are long) and there are heat mirages on the pavement which the car mistakes for vehicles stopped in the road.
Most definitely in heat mirage conditions as it is currently 40+C here and i drive mainly on highways, however they are tree-lined and not dead straight.

Indiana_Krom posted:

people turning in front of me closer than I would have attempted while I was traveling at highway speeds.

Cars turning across from/into side streets are one of those situations where I'll have my foot hovering above the accelerator pedal because the car reacts when in my opinion it didnt need to (ie, the crossing car is far enough ahead that there is little danger). If AEB is triggered from a car pulling the same move much closer then is it really phantom braking? I mean, isnt that exactly what it *should* do?

ROFLBOT fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 22, 2024