Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

toasterwarrior posted:

This is the first time I'm doubting Steamchart numbers because playercounts going up while the servers remain as volatile as ever seems wildly incompatible. Surely everyone eventually fuckin gives up sitting in queue or black screen or whatever situation

I kinda think the friend login trick might be causing a bit of breakthrough in numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

explosivo posted:

There is no queue it's just random chance that you get in, more like a lottery, apparently. I got in after waiting for about a half hour just now but I think it's different for everyone. which is dumb.

Closing in on an hour and a half for me and still haven't got in, for comparison.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

isk posted:

(emphasis mine)

I worked in live service videogames for over a decade. Some seriously smart analysts with cutting-edge tools made good estimates time after time, and they were frequently wrong. They weren't incompetent; it's an imprecise field with a high percentage of error

Even if anyone expected the game to be this popular, the industry is obscenely risk-averse right now. Securing in advance Fortnite levels of server capacity on the strength of a decent-but-not-exceptional prior entry is, like, I'd expect to be laughed out of the room for that

I do think the player experience needs to be better. I do think studios should be able to easily (and affordably) scale up capacity, especially without signing away their future selves for in-house maintenance and/or the trap of AWS. But let's not kid ourselves into thinking a cautious estimate was a competence issue here. It's lightning in a bottle, and no one can't really predict that

I’m more vexed why the problem is more a backend coding issue, not a “more server capacity” issue

Seems like any live service game should be prepared to scale as needed. It may take some time but it seems extreme they need to go back in and be like, rewriting the game

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Joining a friend already in-game to get into the game worked for me. I couldn’t join them in a lobby proper but I could do my own missions and start quick plays (that people could join) but I couldn’t join quick plays.

The servers are hanging on by a thread.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

hobbez posted:

I’m more vexed why the problem is more a backend coding issue, not a “more server capacity” issue

Seems like any live service game should be prepared to scale as needed. It may take some time but it seems extreme they need to go back in and be like, rewriting the game

It's because the game is intended to be a single instance whole of community experience and they didn't think 700,000 people would be trying to cram stats into the mailbox at once in my uneducated opinion.

E: and further to this if they can get it mostly resolved in a month they're kings forever

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
By and large they have three tools to work with for guessing: How their last game did, how games in the same field are doing, and how pre-orders look.

By none of those metrics would it make sense to plan for, say, 500k players. It would actively be a bad business move to do so with the knowledge they had. It would have, with perfect retrospective vision, been the correct move....but with the knowledge they had they did mostly the right thing.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

JBP posted:

It's because the game is intended to be a single instance whole of community experience and they didn't think 700,000 people would be trying to cram stats into the mailbox at once in my uneducated opinion.

TBH I just assumed the live % liberated thing was faked

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

hobbez posted:

Yep, I'm interested in the details. Like, did they lose a lead server engineer (who doesn't document their code) halfway through development, is it an off-by-1 error that's hard to find, would things have been OK with 10x the playerbase of the 1st game (which still would've been an enormous gain), etc. Estimates only get you so far

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Very frustrated that the patch has caused me to CTD pretty consistently now so I went from not being able to get a game with people besides those i invite to getting games but not being able to get through a mission...

i just wanna helldive!!

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It sounded like they were doing stats in real time rather than batching them in any sensible fashion and they probably have no code to handle that correctly. Even if the stats aren't displayed to the player in game (as they were disabled to 0), they're probably doing some dumb poo poo like an API call every time a bullet is fired and that code under the hood doesn't magically go away

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They could do a cool thing where every day they do a tally of all the bullets fired and Helldivers KIA where a second repository is crunching away at all that poo poo. Replace the live feed with FREEDOM DATE XX/XX/XXXX and the tally of idiots killed and bugs owned from yesterday.

E: at this point they could afford to pay the intro dude to do a weekly news cast with the stats and state of the war

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

They could do a cool thing where every day they do a tally of all the bullets fired and Helldivers KIA where a second repository is crunching away at all that poo poo. Replace the live feed with FREEDOM DATE XX/XX/XXXX and the tally of idiots killed and bugs owned from yesterday.

E: at this point they could afford to pay the intro dude to do a weekly news cast with the stats and state of the war

The intro dude is CG. Unless you mean the voice actor.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Maybe don't announce a patch if you broke the game more than before lol

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
There's culture vultures out there making videos with thumbnails going IMPORTANT PATCH DROPPED! for this one, and yeah it sure is important because stability has somehow become worse with it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

The intro dude is CG. Unless you mean the voice actor.

I assume they mocapped a real guy's likeness. Just used google and it confirms this is the case.

E: Craig Lee Thomas

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

This game is legit redefining how to be a victim of your own success. They aren’t even doing anything wrong either, thus the victim part

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

JBP posted:

I assume they mocapped a real guy's likeness. Just used google and it confirms this is the case.

E: Craig Lee Thomas

I figured, I just couldn’t tell if you thought it was a live actor cause it really does hit a bit of uncanny valley territory with how real he looks.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

BastardySkull posted:

SES Whisper of Twilight, love me a Halo rear end name.

:bigfive:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

dog nougat posted:

Post your ship names y'all!

Started with SES Princess of Supremacy, but finally settled on the much more entertaining SES Fist of Mercy

SES Diamond of Gold, the most fabulous ship.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Is it annoying, disappointing, or frustrating to not be able to play a great game because of technical issues? Yeah. But the people earnestly going "can't believe I don't get to play the game I spent FORTY DOLLARS on" or whatever are insane. It's not a concert or a plane ticket. The game will still be here next week, and the week after, and so on. It's not going away. You aren't missing out on your one chance to play. Relax

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

SES Princess of Twilight. (Formerly the Comptroller of Wrath.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

hobbez posted:

that's just not how any of this poo poo works
if you have that level of magic wand you'd be making 7+ figures

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

isk posted:

Yep, I'm interested in the details. Like, did they lose a lead server engineer (who doesn't document their code) halfway through development, is it an off-by-1 error that's hard to find, would things have been OK with 10x the playerbase of the 1st game (which still would've been an enormous gain), etc. Estimates only get you so far

Supposedly they prepared for a Hail Mary of 250k launch players.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

They should probably separate the bonus perks from the cosmetics of armor, they can keep light/medium/heavy separation, but let you freely swap between the rest once unlocked.

much like dark souls, the correct answer is to ignore the stats and just go with whatever looks baller because that's what's really important

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

johnny park posted:

Is it annoying, disappointing, or frustrating to not be able to play a great game because of technical issues? Yeah. But the people earnestly going "can't believe I don't get to play the game I spent FORTY DOLLARS on" or whatever are insane. It's not a concert or a plane ticket. The game will still be here next week, and the week after, and so on. It's not going away. You aren't missing out on your one chance to play. Relax

I think there is some FOMO going on that once things level out the game won't be as popular as other games come out or in the public conscious anymore and not worth their time which might be stoking the flames a bit.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i think it would be cool if i could play this game

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Harlock posted:

I think there is some FOMO going on that once things level out the game won't be as popular as other games come out or in the public conscious anymore and not worth their time which might be stoking the flames a bit.

Yeah I didn't buy the game yet but also hope the server issues are fixed before most of the people I know have moved on to the next fun thing.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
SES Panther of Law.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

To be fair, a lot of games like this are at their most fun when they are new and the min maxers and turbo nerds haven't got the entire game figured out yet. Like it sucks in a lot of games when you try to pick it up down the line and people do poo poo like throw a fit because you didn't know all the poopoo man ambushes, it was clearly your job to deal with them since you brought the peepee rifle. That's if they don't immediately quit when they see a not maxed level player join the game.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Aphrodite posted:

Supposedly they prepared for a Hail Mary of 250k launch players.

Helldivers 1 never exceeded 7k players simultaneously. Their estimates were 7k for 'baseline 'we did good' success', 50k for 'crazy good performance of game exceeds our expectations', and 250k for 'won the Powerball game goes viral but that will never happen haha...unless...'. They did actually code a system that could handle 250k. But then had it go super-mega-hit with 4 times the craziest estimate hammering the servers 2 weeks after launch.

The patch they put in today is working out, I had all black screens yesterday, but got in twice this evening for my first few games. Started solo, but then had some fellow patriots drop in, and it was a really fun experience.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

SES Song of Super Earth. Super Earth, gently caress yeah!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sushibandit posted:

You don't have to physically get in the shuttle to take samples with you, you just can't die while carrying them.

I just tested this. And if this isn't a case of confusion over who had what samples on extract, they've since changed it. This does not work.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

On a mission today we found a port-a-potty just, like, chilling out in the middle of a field.

Also, I had no idea that this was a thing! :aaaaa:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I Greyhound posted:

Helldivers 1 never exceeded 7k players simultaneously. Their estimates were 7k for 'baseline 'we did good' success', 50k for 'crazy good performance of game exceeds our expectations', and 250k for 'won the Powerball game goes viral but that will never happen haha...unless...'. They did actually code a system that could handle 250k. But then had it go super-mega-hit with 4 times the craziest estimate hammering the servers 2 weeks after launch.

The patch they put in today is working out, I had all black screens yesterday, but got in twice this evening for my first few games. Started solo, but then had some fellow patriots drop in, and it was a really fun experience.

this is insane, HD1 was a top down twin stick shooter, not a major release squad shooter, they never should have expected it to only barely exceed HD1

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Game devs have the shittiest clients

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

WoodrowSkillson posted:

this is insane, HD1 was a top down twin stick shooter, not a major release squad shooter, they never should have expected it to only barely exceed HD1

Sorry but how is catering for 30x the population considered to be barely exceeding the previous game lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

did the PC side even have all that much marketing, because i was not seeing any hype for it at all before launch, anywhere, this thread aside

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Hope this helps your confusion.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Most major releases are either free-to-play or $59.99+. AAs frequently get grinded in between the fully accessible and the overmarketed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Hope this helps your confusion.

Man Palworld fell off exactly as hard as I expected to.