Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Smythe posted:

NHD Podcast

I miss NHD and I want to know how his transgender wife is doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Al! posted:

whats this thread's take on jon gabrus? love the guy myself

never heard his own pods, but he’s a great guest on others. and he’s got that travel show with Adam Pally. he’s good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

tokin opposition posted:

If u want help on computer toucherfication lmk. It worked for me and now I'm normal

i appreciate the offer but id like to not work ever for anyone, but still receive a paycheck

KORNOLOGY
Aug 9, 2006
Being gay owns but cost more money.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Al! posted:

i appreciate the offer but id like to not work ever for anyone, but still receive a paycheck

Landlord! Landlord!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

i say swears online posted:

for anyone that doesn't wanna do therapy but know they're hosed up in the head I strongly recommend the book The Body Keeps The Score. it's listed on the front page of the mental health thread and it changed my life because before that I had no idea what PTSD actually was and it explained so much of my behavior in adulthood

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/trauma-bessel-van-der-kolk-the-body-keeps-the-score-profile.html
the New York Magazine article on the author is entertaining

quote:

At the retreat, I asked van der Kolk if he finds it notable that his firing was justified using therapyspeak — the “trauma creep” that The Body Keeps the Score is sometimes accused of having facilitated. “I’m a clinician,” he said. “I’m not really interested in these kinds of sociological or political questions.” When I pressed, he got annoyed. “This stuff about cancel culture, or people saying they’re traumatized for any little thing — that’s not what my book is about. If people happen to use it for that, that’s their problem, but leave me out of it.” As in the debacle of the memory wars, he is adamant that he not be held responsible for whether, or how, his work is being misused.

Throughout the weeklong retreat, it sometimes seemed as if no event was too geopolitically vast or historically complex to be apprehended through trauma. On the first night, van der Kolk’s staff gathered with him in his suite. There was the woman who ran an international branch of the TRF focused on developing trauma workshops in the Global South, and a psychotherapist who told me she had invented the concept of “sexual grief.” Night one had gone great, they agreed, as the conversation whirled out to the Trauma Foundation’s vital work worldwide and the work remaining to be done: the war in Ukraine, global warming, the refugee crisis, famine, guerrilla violence, the great wheel of history screaming out for increased trauma intervention. It was hard to think of a problem to which trauma therapy wouldn’t be the answer.

Over the course of six days, in small groups, in evening exercises, over lunch, many people described their pain. One night, we stood in a circle as everyone took turns stepping into the center; then the group would say their name “with delight at their existence.” It was supposed to replicate the feeling of being a child basking in their parents’ love. People cried. I cried. The next day, Licia Sky led us outside to walk across a field toward a partner while keeping eye contact. One man thanked his activity partner, whom he’d hugged at the end, for a healing experience. When his partner took the mic, she said she had felt coerced into the hug, then burst into tears. It was like something else had happened to her, she said. Later, I chatted with a Canadian minister who was there to improve his counseling skills. “The science is interesting,” he said, lowering his voice. “But I’m starting to wonder if I’m … traumatized enough to be here.”

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Landlord! Landlord!

i was more thinking about the embezzlement route

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Karach posted:

this book + TITs got the ball rolling for me on figuring out how cptsd had made me into a mess of a human being. I wasn't going to cogitate my way out of it with cbt.

reading this as a tokin post

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

got tits and it helped me with my cock ball torture technique

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Homeless Friend posted:

reading this as a tokin post

High praise coming from you

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Atrocious Joe posted:

quote:

Later, I chatted with a Canadian minister who was there to improve his counseling skills. “The science is interesting,” he said, lowering his voice. “But I’m starting to wonder if I’m … traumatized enough to be here.”

Canadian who apologizes for his very existence: I wonder if I'm hosed up a little bit?

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
And that minister's name? Don Hughes.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Al! posted:

got tits and it helped me with my cock ball torture technique

(that govt benefits guy that wearing the riddler suit) The Government might owe YOU tits. Get my book and find out TODAY.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
i do say that going to a psych helped me out greatly a few years ago. don't trust the therapists who just talk but the ones who give you meds are more legit

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
only therapist I need is Frasier

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

these people need medication

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

my body doesn't keep "scores" but it's good there's a book for the ones that do

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Al! posted:

i was more thinking about the embezzlement route
rent expensive stuff to shoot some commercials about being a big successful guru and start hustling hucking bullshit to young money finance & tech retards

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
i unironically think that's one of the best waya to become successful these days
just lie and say you'll help other people become successful too for a fee

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

FirstnameLastname posted:

rent expensive stuff to shoot some commercials about being a big successful guru and start hustling hucking bullshit to young money finance & tech retards

being a scammer seems like just as much work as a normal job for less payout, unless you get lucky and rip off some old person's life savings I guess. it's just not for me - too honest.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

this has been suggested to me repeatedly but it doesn't have any spaceships or lasers in it afaict

Yeah can we get a thinly veiled ripoff of it where the main character is a Kroot?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

my bony fealty posted:

being a scammer seems like just as much work as a normal job for less payout, unless you get lucky and rip off some old person's life savings I guess. it's just not for me - too honest.

all the normal jobs that pay the best are scamming though

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

let the bodies keep the score
let the bodies keep the
scoooooooooooore

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
lol I hate to put myself out there but I’m an actual therapist. I’m gonna give the most therapy-rear end answer that everyone is right. I will say that I hate the “everyone should get therapy” the same way I hate the “everyone should travel abroad” maxim. It’s expensive and what’s reasonably available differs. Therapy that bills insurance requires you to have a diagnosed mental illness meaning that the definition of mental illness has expanded to fit the needs or insurance companies rather than the needs of actual people.

As mentioned, poo poo Life Syndrome is absolutely a thing and I deeply wish insurance companies would just pay the therapy and medication fees directly to the client (also, gently caress the idea of referring to them as “consumers,” Jesus Christ) and that extra money would do far more loving good than an hour a week.

Someone mentioned therapy as being a racket of paid friends and…yeah. Kind of. Good therapists have training in the clusters of symptoms we call mental illnesses and in how to help people open up and explore themselves. I was told that seeing a client once a week for an hour for several sessions likely makes you one of the most significant relationships in their life. Several hours of a person being able to do the majority of the talking and just be listened to. It’s an unnatural but significant thing, and that’s kind of the power of therapy.

The job is to give someone basically all the space they want without judgement and with limited empathetic challenge. That relationship often helps open the door to someone reconsidering their thoughts and behaviors. And yes this can be seen as a deeply cynical way of exploiting human tendencies and desires to steer people toward more socially desirable behavior.

Folks mentioned CBT and DBT; I have training in both. CBT was pretty accurately identified for its benefits of being quick, surface level, self-responsible (or self empowering), and a way to learn how to deal with life through rationalization and thought exercises. It's very effective. it also lends itself the most to research studies and has a lobby contributing to them. DBT is also helpful. lots of research showing it can treat borderline personality (aka Nick Mullen defined bad person disorder) effectively. lt's already been described well. But in general it helps deal with that splitting all or nothing attitude as well as emotional regulation using the good old dialectic. It has also had a huge legal battle over rights to terms and training. Because money.

What really sticks through any kind of therapy is that the most effective therapy is based on a really good “working alliance” aka the people like each other and work well together. It does have to be both. You can’t just like your therapist and you can’t hate them but do what they say. It’s gotta be a real relationship born through these deeply artificial means. And that’s incredibly difficult. but when it works, wow how great it works. In an ideal world therapists could get trained to quickly figure out of the relationship is working and then quickly refer out. But even that suffers the issue of a client having to start over with someone. that’s the shittiest part of therapy. The key factor is relationship and there’s no good way of predicting that. Or at least, insurance companies haven’t figured out some dehumanizing way to “match” you with a therapist, but I’m sure garbage services like better help are working toward it.

Anyway that’s my spiel. The system sucks on every end and our solutions are often blocked by money. Take care of yourselves. Don’t feel bad about things not working out with a therapist. It doesn’t mean you’re bad and it doesn’t mean you’re incurable. It means that relationship couldn’t do it. The one thing I hold to is that there is hope for almost everyone. That almost everyone can change on the individual level.

majour333
Mar 2, 2005

Mouthfart.
Fun Shoe
I really really really appreciate this post

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

majour333 posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

good post

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Yeah that's a good description of what I got out of therapy. In so much of my life I feel like I'd never really been seen as a human being. But here, finally, was somebody who didn't look at me as a joke, who said my feelings mattered and should be taken seriously. Something which I had literally never heard before. It was a relationship where, for once, I didn't feel the time the other person was giving me was conditional on me trying to "act normal." I spoke, they listened, and the advice they gave me seemed to actually take my life experiences into account. They opened my eyes to pain I had that I hadn't allowed myself to recognize, pain that had hobbled me my whole life, and gave me tools to start dealing with that pain.

But I had to go through several therapists to find somebody who could meet me where I was at.

Karach has issued a correction as of 05:08 on Feb 21, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

The chaplain referred me to mental health because I was going to confession weekly, in his view hadn’t done anything particularly bad, but felt awful, and also I kept getting stuck on the fifth spiritual exercise of Saint Ignatius, and doing it over and over again every morning trying to get out of what I thought was desolation. (As opposed to a mental health condition)

Saint Ignatius of Loyola posted:

It contains in it, after the Preparatory Prayer and two Preludes, five Points and one Colloquy: Prayer. Let the Preparatory Prayer be the usual one.

First Prelude. The first Prelude is the composition, which is here to see with the sight of the imagination the length, breadth and depth of Hell.

Second Prelude. The second, to ask for what I want: it will be here to ask for interior sense of
the pain which the damned suffer, in order that, if, through my faults, I should forget the love of the Eternal Lord, at least the fear of the pains may help me not to come into sin.

First Point. The first Point will be to see with the sight of the imagination the great fires, and the souls as in bodies of fire.

Second Point. The second, to hear with the ears wailings, howlings, cries, blasphemies against Christ our Lord and against all His Saints.

Third Point. The third, to smell with the smell smoke, sulphur, dregs and putrid things.

Fourth Point. The fourth, to taste with the taste bitter things, like tears, sadness and the worm of conscience.

Fifth Point. The fifth, to touch with the touch; that is to say, how the fires touch and burn the souls.

Colloquy. Making a Colloquy to Christ our Lord, I will bring to memory the souls that are in Hell, some because they did not believe the Coming, others because, believing, they did not act according to His Commandments; making three divisions:

First, Second, and Third Divisions. The first, before the Coming; the second, during His life; the third, after His life in this world; and with this I will give Him thanks that He has not let me fall into any of these divisions, ending my life

Likewise, I will consider how up to now He has always had so great pity and mercy on me.

I will end with an Our Father.

Apparently if you have trauma induced OCD, you can get yourself into a bit of trouble if you understand feeling bad = have done something to feel bad about.

Idk, I was doing everything right… :shrug:

✅ interior sense of the pain which the damned suffer

✅ see with the sight of the imagination bodies on fire

✅ hear with the ears wailings, howlings, cries,

✅ smell with the smell smoke, sulphur,

✅ taste with the taste bitter things, like tears, sadness and the worm of conscience.

Considering Saint Ignatius had been grievously wounded in a battle, which we would today call “a traumatic experience”, probably the pattern of thought isn’t unrelated.

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 05:16 on Feb 21, 2024

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

majour333 posted:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Therapist??? But I've never even been to the White House!

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The chaplain referred me to mental health because I was going to confession weekly, in his view hadn’t done anything particularly bad, but felt awful, and also I kept getting stuck on the fifth spiritual exercise of Saint Ignatius, and doing it over and over again every morning trying to get out of what I thought was desolation. (As opposed to a mental health condition)

Apparently if you have trauma induced OCD, you can get yourself into a bit of trouble if you understand feeling bad = have done something to feel bad about.

Idk, I was doing everything right… :shrug:

✅ interior sense of the pain which the damned suffer

✅ see with the sight of the imagination bodies on fire

✅ hear with the ears wailings, howlings, cries,

✅ smell with the smell smoke, sulphur,

✅ taste with the taste bitter things, like tears, sadness and the worm of conscience.

Considering Saint Ignatius had been grievously wounded in a battle, which we would today call “a traumatic experience”, probably the pattern of thought isn’t unrelated.

for what it’s worth, I think a good therapist is gonna be willing to go through this with you line by line word by word but then also challenge you line by line word by word.

with the end goal of resolving each word and each line

fr0id has issued a correction as of 06:23 on Feb 21, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if you want to to taste bitter things i suggest lil lemon sours candies. they rock

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my therapist told me to get a lavender oil diffuser for bedtime and actually helps me sleep

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Homeless Friend posted:

if you want to to taste bitter things i suggest lil lemon sours candies. they rock

the warheads soda is the most amazing soda I’ve found for sour lovers. also albanese sour worms. the GOATs of sour candy.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dreylad posted:

let the bodies keep the
scoooooooooooore

lmfao

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I am extremely mad about how safe space has been taken from healthcare folks. such a great phrase just stolen by the worst loving people. now I have to use phrases like “comfortable zone” so I don’t anger anyone. god drat it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

fr0id posted:

I am extremely mad about how safe space has been taken from healthcare folks. such a great phrase just stolen by the worst loving people. now I have to use phrases like “comfortable zone” so I don’t anger anyone. god drat it.

what do you think of that new yorker article and van der kolk? are trauma-trenders obnoxious or is it just another cry for help from the suffering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

i say swears online posted:

what do you think of that new yorker article and van der kolk? are trauma-trenders obnoxious or is it just another cry for help from the suffering?

which one? could you link?