Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

I backed Radio the Universe. You Hollow Knight fans can wait your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How’s the switch port of Deedlit?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
5 hours into afterimage and it's quite strange because it's generally a little janky and unpolished and has a million obvious flaws but none of that really matters because everything works just well enough and it understands exploration so well? i think it can get away with things like the areas being absolutely gigantic and the combat being not much more than serviceable because the default difficulty is so low - i'd probably like it to be a little bit harder but if it were too much harder there'd be a lot more friction from everything and all the minor flaws would become gigantic ones. it is funny though how tame the difficulty is because when it gives you a warning that an enemy is too high-level, this can mean 'this enemy will one shot you' or 'this is just enough of a threat to be interesting' or even 'this is still no threat at all' and you have no real idea of which it will be.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I got bored in afterimage because the attacks are simple to the point of repetitive but every enemy seems to take too many of them before going down. If the enemies were a little more frail and I was moving through them faster maybe I'd enjoy it more. Or maybe I'm bad at making a build?

For whatever reason I was thinking about MegaMan Legends recently, a fully 3d MegaMan adventure game for the OG playstation. It has a lot of underground dungeons, big and small, and they were all interconnected in unexpected ways. In retrospect it made the game kinda feel like a metroidvania before the word was in wide use.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

sudonim posted:

For whatever reason I was thinking about MegaMan Legends recently, a fully 3d MegaMan adventure game for the OG playstation. It has a lot of underground dungeons, big and small, and they were all interconnected in unexpected ways. In retrospect it made the game kinda feel like a metroidvania before the word was in wide use.
Legends was spooky and weird in a very special way. I'd love a remaster or something but it'll probably never happen

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

beer gas canister posted:

Legends was spooky and weird in a very special way. I'd love a remaster or something but it'll probably never happen

Just FYI to everyone that Humble Bundle currently has a Mega Man Bundle. I'm not sure if it includes Legends but it includes a ton of other Mega Man games for $20.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Medullah posted:

I'm not sure if it includes Legends

It doesn't, there's no way to get Legends on Steam or something. There's a PC version out there but it's just an old port that isn't built for modern systems and barely functions. The series has been effectively abandoned compared to the other Megas Men.

No, I'm not bitter.

I'm INCREDIBLY bitter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

It doesn't, there's no way to get Legends on Steam or something. There's a PC version out there but it's just an old port that isn't built for modern systems and barely functions. The series has been effectively abandoned compared to the other Megas Men.

No, I'm not bitter.

I'm INCREDIBLY bitter.

That is the unfortunate side effect of the game selling like complete garbage every time. Like they're barely making new Mega Man stuff at all because Mega Man only rarely sold great and MML was the worst selling Mega Man by a significant degree.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

That is the unfortunate side effect of the game selling like complete garbage every time. Like they're barely making new Mega Man stuff at all because Mega Man only rarely sold great and MML was the worst selling Mega Man by a significant degree.

This is society's fault.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm replaying Aria of Sorrow atm, and I just unlocked the ultimate ring in the game. Now I know Castlevania has had super rare drops and whatnot, and while unlocking Aria's ultimate gear takes a completionist streak, it's still relatively straightforward and intuitive to figure out what you need to do and where you need to go to get it. 100% Souls, in the very final late-game dungeon. Pretty simple.

So now I'm curious about secrets in this genre in general, Castlevania or otherwise. How about the not-straightforward stuff? Whether that's because it's just a little too abstract or it's some real off-the-wall nonsense, what are some goofy Metroidvania secrets you can think of?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was playing through some old games, and I got hit by a surprise Metroidvania: Wario Land 3.

Seriously, every level you get a treasure that plays into unlocking something new, unlocking new locations or altering the landscape of older locations so you constantly go back to them to unlock new treasures, and there's even a lot of ability upgrades (which actually are mostly just Wario's abilities he had from Wario Land 2, but sliced up into little bits for you to gradually unlock). This game was made by the same people who made Metroid 1 and 2, so there's a clear line of taking the ideas to use for a puzzle platformer instead.

...and it's not very good. Like it's okay, sure, but it kinda drags out a long time, and the puzzle platforming gets frustrating at times, wandering around areas that you don't have the upgrades for yet. The innovation where Wario has no health and can't die, only get knocked back, means that there's a whole lot of challenges that knock you way back if you fail them, so you have to repeat them all over again.

I enjoyed Wario Land 2 more, because on top of having more abilities, I just liked the world design more, Areas can look more like purposeful settings if they're not designed entirely around four parallel puzzle platforming segments, and the cutscenes telling the story of Wario getting robbed and having to get his money back are more interesting to me. Wario Land 3 has nonsensical cutscenes about how the world changes when you get treasures, but that gets old over time. The whole forked level paths is more interesting to me as well.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I've done 3 loops in Ultros.
I have no real idea what the story is.
The planting mechanic is neat I guess and it has some puzzles uses but I have no idea if I should just be planting seeds willy nilly when there's no obvious puzzle nearby.
The loop concept is alright, you aren't that far from getting your upgrades back but I can see it starting to wear thin because it breaks up the flow of the game.

I feel like I'm missing something.

thark
Mar 3, 2008

bork

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The planting mechanic is neat I guess and it has some puzzles uses but I have no idea if I should just be planting seeds willy nilly when there's no obvious puzzle nearby.
The loop concept is alright, you aren't that far from getting your upgrades back but I can see it starting to wear thin because it breaks up the flow of the game.

You will eventually (probably pretty soon, I don't 100% remember the order of things and there may be some freedom in order of tackling them) be able to unroot planted seeds and also have a clearer reason for planting them. (The pre-tool part of the loop does also eventually get a shortcut.)

lih
May 15, 2013

sudonim posted:

I got bored in afterimage because the attacks are simple to the point of repetitive but every enemy seems to take too many of them before going down. If the enemies were a little more frail and I was moving through them faster maybe I'd enjoy it more. Or maybe I'm bad at making a build?

there are a bunch of weapon types with multihit attacks that just melt enemies unless you're underlevelled/underequipped for an area and even then they generally die pretty quick, i haven't found enemies to be damage sponges much at all

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Ender Lillies got a sequel(?) announcement on today's Nintendo Direct
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNySUAfvrg4

The first was pretty solid if nothing special or revolutionary, I'll certainly pick this up.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Nice! I liked Ender Lilies a lot. This is a Switch trailer though, I hope for PC as well.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was playing through some old games, and I got hit by a surprise Metroidvania: Wario Land 3.

Seriously, every level you get a treasure that plays into unlocking something new, unlocking new locations or altering the landscape of older locations so you constantly go back to them to unlock new treasures, and there's even a lot of ability upgrades (which actually are mostly just Wario's abilities he had from Wario Land 2, but sliced up into little bits for you to gradually unlock). This game was made by the same people who made Metroid 1 and 2, so there's a clear line of taking the ideas to use for a puzzle platformer instead.

...and it's not very good. Like it's okay, sure, but it kinda drags out a long time, and the puzzle platforming gets frustrating at times, wandering around areas that you don't have the upgrades for yet. The innovation where Wario has no health and can't die, only get knocked back, means that there's a whole lot of challenges that knock you way back if you fail them, so you have to repeat them all over again.

I enjoyed Wario Land 2 more, because on top of having more abilities, I just liked the world design more, Areas can look more like purposeful settings if they're not designed entirely around four parallel puzzle platforming segments, and the cutscenes telling the story of Wario getting robbed and having to get his money back are more interesting to me. Wario Land 3 has nonsensical cutscenes about how the world changes when you get treasures, but that gets old over time. The whole forked level paths is more interesting to me as well.

How does it feel to have the wrongest opinion in the history of posting?

For real though the Wario Land games have to get at least some credit because they are the closest relatives of the R&D1 metroid games, and with R&D1 metroid being a dead lineage that's the best you're going to get if you want more

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

TeaJay posted:

Nice! I liked Ender Lilies a lot. This is a Switch trailer though, I hope for PC as well.

How difficult is it? I have been looking for a casual Steam Deck Metroidvania, I started Blashphemous and while I like it I'm not a big fan of Souls like Metroidvanias. I love Bloodstained so something around that level of challenge is what I'm looking for.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's a little more difficult than Bloodstained but not overly so.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Non Compos Mentis posted:

you can do whatever with the seeds until you reach a very obvious point where placement now matters.

I'd been working towards the good ending myself but took a break few days ago because it was getting exhausting.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Medullah posted:

How difficult is it? I have been looking for a casual Steam Deck Metroidvania, I started Blashphemous and while I like it I'm not a big fan of Souls like Metroidvanias. I love Bloodstained so something around that level of challenge is what I'm looking for.

It's fair for a metroidvania but it almost completely comes down to your moveset (there's a lot of 'spells' you can take in your load out but you can only take a mix of 6 at a time and there's a lot more than six to get. Bosses will likely take a few tries)

Always take some good ranged options and you'll be fine.

The ender magnolia website mentions all platforms so it's not just switch.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Medullah posted:

The game is heavily built around dodge and punish combat, the level of difficultly is relatively high, the game throws way, way too many enemies at you to the point that it becomes a slog and the first boss is just Vicar Amelia ripped straight from Bloodborne and the aesthetic continues from there. If you don't like Soulslike metroidvanias I couldn't recommend it

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown: Is there enough ingots and coins to do all the upgrades at the forge, or do I have to be judicious about it?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No Dignity posted:

The game is heavily built around dodge and punish combat, the level of difficultly is relatively high, the game throws way, way too many enemies at you to the point that it becomes a slog and the first boss is just Vicar Amelia ripped straight from Bloodborne and the aesthetic continues from there. If you don't like Soulslike metroidvanias I couldn't recommend it

Are you mixing Ender Lillies up with Last Faith?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Speaking of, Last Faith is on sale did it ever get a balance do over patch? I remember everyone saying it got worse the further in you got.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that doesn't describe Ender Lillies at all.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Medullah posted:

Easy to medium. a couple bosses took me a few tries, but I beat most of them on the first try and dying doesn’t make you lose anything besides booting you back to checkpoint (you keep all your exp/map progress) so it’s easy to make steady progress through the rest of it. it’s really good overall, one of my favorites.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Are you mixing Ender Lillies up with Last Faith?

No...? I think that's a pretty fair description of Ender Lillies

Sakurazuka posted:

Speaking of, Last Faith is on sale did it ever get a balance do over patch? I remember everyone saying it got worse the further in you got.

People also said that about Ender Lillies!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing different games to some of you guys on here I swear. I stopped playing because the enemy spam was too annoying and didn't go with the fairly dull, rigid combat and big HP bars on everything

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I enjoyed Last Faith, even though it felt frustrating at times. A major part was getting a good weapon. As a dex user I struggled with the gunblade, switched to the whip and got off much easier, and finally unlocked the scythe (Severance reaper) and everything just melted from there on.

Looks like they did a fairly big balance patch (and even buffed the whip (nighttide rout) more!) in January so I'd recommend it. Even with jankiness and some frustrating parts (winter areas suck until you get a good weapon) I still enjoyed Last Faith a lot. Combat felt good and it looks incredible.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
To me, Ender Lillies was one of those games with a brutal start because your lack of options limits you to one “playstyle” that rapidly gets much easier as you start unlocking all the alternate move sets that let you play how you want to.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
My only real memory of Ender Lilies is how bad the final boss was.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Sometimes I feel like I'm playing different games to some of you guys on here I swear. I stopped playing because the enemy spam was too annoying and didn't go with the fairly dull, rigid combat and big HP bars on everything

I honestly can't imagine thinking Ender Lilies has enemy spam. It's got fewer enemies than a good number of Metroidvanias and most of them melt pretty easy. You have a ton of different combat options and while enemies have large HP bars you get plenty of ways to absolutely fuckin' melt them.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

galagazombie posted:

To me, Ender Lillies was one of those games with a brutal start because your lack of options limits you to one “playstyle” that rapidly gets much easier as you start unlocking all the alternate move sets that let you play how you want to.

Sounds a lot like Bloodstained where the hardest boss is the first one.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most of the spirits that don’t have infinite uses can be cast instantly, and you get frequent enough refills on them that there’s really no reason not to throw spirits like Siegrid at normal enemies while you’re hitting them with your infinite use spirit. they stagger/die quickly enough if you do this. also the first few spirits you get are viable for the whole game if you upgrade them.

lih
May 15, 2013

No Dignity posted:

yeah i had the same experience, i didn't get more than a few hours in because the combat was terrible, doing the soulslike thing of committed attack animations but your defensive options are terrible and the enemies are all damage sponges and do non-trivial damage. maybe people are right that you can become OP before too long and start melting through enemies but i certainly wasn't there yet and it was miserable

i certainly wouldn't compare it to a pretty easy game like bloodstained

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

One of the issues with ender lilies is that there's not really enough spirit upgrade items in the game to max them out but if you don't do the final tier you can get plenty to level 3.

The first few spirits are some of the strongest too, so just upgrade those and don't hoard their usage. They refill easily enough.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ender Lilies was my jam with that hammer that hits like a truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Ender Lilies was my jam with that hammer that hits like a truck.

Yeah, maybe people finding random enemies spongey didn’t give the giant Viking club spirit a fair shake, it hit like a drat truck and stunned things easily, plus it sent things flying and the game had absurd fall damage for enemies.

I finished EL up a few days ago and really enjoyed it, happy for a sequel. There were a few hard bosses but they all came at a point where you could look at your spirits and find some sort of loadout that would do the trick.