Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Waffleman_ posted:

I know they usually like to wait a good bit before doing more than a HG of a show, but I do wonder if how fuckin' gangbusters a lot of the WfM kits sold might convince them to fast track some higher grade kits

They’re all busy with Seed Freedom kits probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

wdarkk posted:

They’re all busy with Seed Freedom kits probably.

Seed Freedom kits were probably having molds cut and decal dies made back when they were still doing storyboarding.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nerobro posted:

Seed Freedom kits were probably having molds cut and decal dies made back when they were still doing storyboarding.

Considering they're at the current cutting edge of HG engineering, it's safe to assume they're Bandai's most recent project. Don't want the toys for the box office smash to disappoint the fans, after all.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Got caught with their pants down on Armored Core though. :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Well, I need to buy the hg lfrith bc my partner's aerial needs a friend.

And I need the MG nu Gundam bc my 1/144 needs a big brother.

Whoops.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Me and my son aren't for show

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Is it possible to cut out pieces without leaving a mark that needs to be sanded and painted? The dark blues used in the titans color scheme seem really bad about it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Me and my son aren't for show

i know most of the guys at the local spot, but there was a new guy behind the counter and after i picked up a base, the Lfirth, and the mg nu gundam he says "That is a dangerous pile you're building!"

"yeah, but after i finished the perfect grade rx78 i needed something new."

":o"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brand engager posted:

Is it possible to cut out pieces without leaving a mark that needs to be sanded and painted? The dark blues used in the titans color scheme seem really bad about it.

Cut away from the end of the sprue, then make a second cut flush against the piece to remove that excess sprue. :eng101:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I have a heavier cutter I use to clip a piece of sprue off with the piece then use my precision cutters to clip the sprue off, which minimizes the tension. a little bit of follow up filling and you're usually golden

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

the two cut method is the way and the light

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

brand engager posted:

If you're getting white marks those are stress marks from the cutting process and it is possible to mostly avoid them by cutting a bit further from flush with the surface and sanding/shaving the remaining nub down (use a glass file for faster easier sanding, or a hobby knife) or by using really sharp single-bladed nippers like god hands or the dspiae one.

e: And yeah follow the advice above, cut the nub off the sprue first and then do a second closer cut to take the nub off the part.

If it's a darker blue spot on blue plastic then that's not related to cutting and is an artifact of the injection molding process itself, the plastic/pigment is just denser around the injection location. You can't avoid that except by covering it up with paint.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 21, 2024

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah I'm already doing two cuts, it doesn't completely get rid of marks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Single edge nippers produce a cleaner cut that double edged ones which just crush the plastic in the middle.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

brand engager posted:

In that case yeah the fix is cutting a bit further from the surface. That way the stress mark will end up in the remaining bit of nub you then sand off or shave away with a hobby knife.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/G_Witch_goods/status/1760079348630200493?t=GoAKp89dfJwOHMGTlIl9jA&s=19

A robot spirits Aerial rebuild with Quiet Zero parts. And P-Bandai.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

brand engager posted:

Are the marks a lighter or darker color than the surrounding plastic?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Always an almost white color, so it's not as visible on lighter plastic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

brand engager posted:

Have you embraced the power of the Godhand?

Seriously, they are GOOD nippers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Are you sanding after? Either with a sanding stick or glass file?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cUbcIrhZU&t=92s

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 21, 2024

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

brand engager posted:

Dark plastic is the absolute worst for stress marks. Two cuts won't cut (:dadjoke:) it. You need to leave enough on the part and sand it down with a file.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Are you sanding after? Either with a sanding stick or glass file?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4cUbcIrhZU&t=92s

Do this.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Honestly, sometimes if the plastic is dark enough and the nub flat enough, I just use my marker to cover the stress marks

i should probably get a file at some point though

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
if i have a marker that's a close enough color I'll just do that, yeah.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
My pet theory is that Bandai has had the technology to make red feet that don’t get stress marks for years, but have suppressed it on behalf of the hobby tools and paints lobbyists.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Got caught with their pants down on Armored Core though. :(

It's weird how long that's taking, yeah. Data we have suggest that a year and a third goes from idea to shelves, and since AC came out in August, I'd think we'd at least see a grey prototype by now.

As for the mention of Kyoukai Senki, I still think it's strange that something that appeared to be a shelfwarmer is getting four new kits at retail months after the anime ended. Usually, I'd expect that P-Bandai if it was made at all.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

As for the mention of Kyoukai Senki, I still think it's strange that something that appeared to be a shelfwarmer is getting four new kits at retail months after the anime ended. Usually, I'd expect that P-Bandai if it was made at all.

It''s not really that hard to understand if you look at the kits - they're reusing existing molds and pivoting to the 30MM customization crowd to try and salvage the line. If they actually cared about Kyokukai Senki as A Line/property, we'd have seen more than one genuinely original mould (That Bunyip Custom) since the show's run ended.

Or even filled out the missing lineup of mechs that actually appeared predominantly in the show and never got a kit. It's not a great look for your kit-focused series when you have four factions vying for dominance and only three get kits.

That and only one faction getting mid-season mechs, but that's more a failing (One of many) of the show proper.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/hobbynotoriko2/status/1758800265426469167

People are really enjoying the Chu chu figure

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8YOqdvLtVA

WE'RE BACK BABY!!!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'd say every nation only having one model of robot was more of an issue, since the Brady upgrades are basically just palette swaps that perform better. If they'd managed to luck into how America upgraded its robots in the show the other nations probably would have done the same thing. Which is realistic, but pretty boring.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Justin_Brett posted:

I'd say every nation only having one model of robot was more of an issue, since the Brady upgrades are basically just palette swaps that perform better. If they'd managed to luck into how America upgraded its robots in the show the other nations probably would have done the same thing. Which is realistic, but pretty boring.

True, but it's a kit-driven show. They set up a whole inter-factional conflict ripe for milking the HG line with kits galore in various styles, and sidelined all of it for More Brady's.

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Preorders open tomorrow - I've never placed a p-bandai order, how likely is this to sell out in 15 min? I'd rather not get up at 2 am if I don't need to.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Given the influx of p-bandai stuff lately, I am so glad my parents are snowbirds who go to Arizona for six months of the year. I can get it delivered to their condo there and they will bring it back with them.

Although if some p-bandai thing I want get's released from May to September, I'm completely hosed.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
I just ordered the Sword Calamity last night from pBandai. I fell in love with that suit from the short with Blue Astray from… ‘05? So I was stoked when I saw it pop up. I heard the 1/100 Calamity was pretty good even if it was FM instead of MG.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

hopefully it's not garbage poo poo from a butt like new gundam breaker

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The hotswap mechanic and PvP focus from New are confirmed gone and they're very explicit in saying it's a follow up to 3

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

The hotswap mechanic and PvP focus from New are confirmed gone and they're very explicit in saying it's a follow up to 3

Mobile also had a lot of dialogue taking the piss out of the school letting you get away with bad grades if you were good with Gunplay, which might have been a way of making fun of New. Writing in Mobile was better than you might expect.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

what about the part where you had to be a boy and hit on your classmates

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Space Opera posted:

Preorders open tomorrow - I've never placed a p-bandai order, how likely is this to sell out in 15 min? I'd rather not get up at 2 am if I don't need to.

In my experience - which is to say only using p-bandai for less than a year - poo poo doesn't just sell out in a blink like that anymore? Or, it does but then they'll usually put it back up after a few hours for a second round or two depending on how popular the item is. There have been a few posts in this thread talking about how fast something sold out, but when I'd go to check it'd be available to pre-order.

The biggest thing to remember about p-bandai is that it takes loving forever for them to actually ship your stuff. They just shipped something I pre-ordered back in like december, and I'm still waiting for something I'd ordered even earlier than that.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The gunpla sells out quickly, usually everything else does not.

Unless its a metal structure, but I think they only have 2 of them anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Opera
Jun 5, 2011

That rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll get up early (but not 2 am early).