Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

TacoNight posted:

What's a newspaper?

I think it’s a sort of Mardu deck???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateNu posted:

Maaaan. Patrick lookin' rough.

Time is undefeated.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sickening posted:

Youtube does not reward the content most of you are stating you want. Its just the way things are.

I know :negative:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I think it’s a sort of Mardu deck???

This is incredible and I want you to know.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

TacoNight posted:

What's a newspaper?

Nothing much, what's a newpaper with you?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy poo poo, Spice8Rack put out a 4 hour 20 minute video about Tarkir, the cards, sets, lore, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAksq3bCjLY&hd=1

the video is also a fundraiser for palestinian support, which rules.

quote:

At time of writing over 12,000 children have been killed in Gaza & the West Bank in the last 4 months, more than were killed in all conflict zones throughout the world in 2023. EuroMed estimates that more than 24,000 children have lost one, or both, of their parents, and almost a quater of a million have lost their homes. For the sake of humanity, give what you can.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

put down money for the 4 Fallout commander packs

commander night gonna be boppin

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

put down money for the 4 Fallout commander packs

commander night gonna be boppin

I mentioned in the commander thread, the survivor deck has some hilarious synergy with the paradox Doctor Who deck, since the junk counters just straight-up have Yasmin Khan's effect.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

I mentioned in the commander thread, the survivor deck has some hilarious synergy with the paradox Doctor Who deck, since the junk counters just straight-up have Yasmin Khan's effect.

I gotta check that out but i only bought the 13th dr box i kind of lost steam on buying these limited boxes after wh40k and lotr but fallout sucked me back in

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Was in the lgs last night and looking at their secret lair display there were a bunch of them that I didn't even know existed. So much product.

Won a bunch of store credit though, that was fun. Maybe it's finally time to get new sleeves

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
holy poo poo i didn't expect an aradesh card

Aradesh the Founder

Legendary creature - human, soldier

Enlist

Whenever a creature you control attacks, if it enlisted a creature this combat, the creature that attacked gains Double Strike until end of turn. If that creature's power is 4 or more, draw a card.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kurtofan posted:

holy poo poo i didn't expect an aradesh card

I know I was certainly hoping for an Aradesh card, but I had no idea what he'd actually do. But that's largely because when I was trying to spitball how I'd do the Fallout precons, I was stuck on 'the NCR probably deserves one, but they don't have any strong names to put down' in a way that the Enclave has Frank Horrigan and John Henry Eden.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Feb 21, 2024

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
they made the decks to fit themes rather than specific factions
the mardu deck is made up of military factions from throughout the games, so it includes ceasar's legion but also the ncr, the enclave probably (except frank horrigan who was put into the mutant sultai deck, which includes mutants and mutated from throughout the series)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
my wants from each decks:

-caesar/mardu: boone, the khans, benny
-mutants/sultai: the master, goris, harold, raul, lily, marcus
-science!/jeskai: the think tank, ede, arcade gannon

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kurtofan posted:

they made the decks to fit themes rather than specific factions
the mardu deck is made up of military factions from throughout the games, so it includes ceasar's legion but also the ncr, the enclave probably (except frank horrigan who was put into the mutant sultai deck, which includes mutants and mutated from throughout the series)

Yeah, I know, and my spitballing ideas ultimately went in the same direction, although I landed on different ones.

My angle was a Vault-Tec/salvaged tech deck built around the Vault Dweller, the Enclave with Frank Horrigan as the face will a full-bore scorched earth policy (they can probably also fit military/raider sorts like Caesar's Legion), a 'taming the wasteland' deck with Mr. House as the face, and then a deck of the wasteland itself, with maybe Three Dog as the commander just to sell the notion that nobody's in control of this nonsense, you're just watching. No idea what colors those would've been, but it's generally where I would've gravitated; I get that it's basically the decks we have with a few bits shuffled around.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Captain Invictus posted:

holy poo poo, Spice8Rack put out a 4 hour 20 minute video about Tarkir, the cards, sets, lore, etc

that's a lot of hours

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBS_yHXShiY

He doesn't miss

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Welp this is playing in the background for the rest of my work day. Definitely donating.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, I know, and my spitballing ideas ultimately went in the same direction, although I landed on different ones.

My angle was a Vault-Tec/salvaged tech deck built around the Vault Dweller, the Enclave with Frank Horrigan as the face will a full-bore scorched earth policy (they can probably also fit military/raider sorts like Caesar's Legion), a 'taming the wasteland' deck with Mr. House as the face, and then a deck of the wasteland itself, with maybe Three Dog as the commander just to sell the notion that nobody's in control of this nonsense, you're just watching. No idea what colors those would've been, but it's generally where I would've gravitated; I get that it's basically the decks we have with a few bits shuffled around.

My main objection to that is that would mean making a card depicting one of the protagonists, and that's a pretty lame idea, nailing down them exactly and defining their capabilities and methods.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

boone gently caress yes

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No! Dark Confidant, don't wear that hat!!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

boone gently caress yes

I'm stupid, does this only generate 2 quest counters every attack? so you could generate 4 quest counters a turn if you had something that allowed you to have two attack phases?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not limited to once per turn, so 2 per attack phase you get as long as you attack with 2 creatures each time.

Boone doesn't even have to be one of them.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

There are so many pretty decent attack trigger dudes in Mardu colors in the set, I just hope they're all going to be in the Caesar deck so I can just buy that to upgrade Isshin.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

It's kind of funny they went with this alternate wincon:

Because it's so insanely low chance to actually hit the win, the only practical way people will every get it to work is by assembling an infinite combo. And because WotC decided to make this an alternate wincon, a LOT more people would try to assemble the infinite combo than otherwise if it just made a ton of treasure tokens or gave some other big advantage.

Except that due to it being tied to rolling a lot of dice with random outcomes, it leads to a 4 horsemen scenario where you can't just say "I have this infinite loop, I'll do it until I win." You actually have to manually play out every single activation. If you set up an infinite loop with 7 bobbleheads, the chance is 1/280,000 each time you roll the dice to win. I saw that mathematically you have the highest chance at 41 dice, not sure on the exact percent chance to win at 41 but no matter how you do it, winning with this card is going to be tedious as all gently caress and not able to be shortcutted.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
See below

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 21, 2024

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Please rephrase this because on the face of it it's nonsense

The % chance to roll exactly 7 6s when rolling any number of D6es goes up until it hits a peak at 41 or 42 dice, and then goes down as you add more dice to it. I think I saw a ~16% figure thrown around? But I haven't done any calculations myself or saw confirmation. Intuitively you'd expect the chance to roll exactly 7 6s to be best around 42, since you'd have ~7 of each outcome, and of course if you roll 2000 dice then you'd expect the chance to get exactly 7 6s to be extremely low.

E: That was a previous edit, here's the latest at time of writing this:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's not how rolling multiple dice work in magic, the ones you exclude don't count as having been rolled so more is always better

Nothing on the card allows you to exclude any dice.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

^^^ this is what I get for posting before thinking

Ultima66 posted:

The % chance to roll exactly 7 6s when rolling any number of D6es goes up until it hits a peak at 41 or 42 dice, and then goes down as you add more dice to it. I think I saw a ~16% figure thrown around? But I haven't done any calculations myself or saw confirmation. Intuitively you'd expect the chance to roll exactly 7 6s to be best around 42, since you'd have ~7 of each outcome, and of course if you roll 2000 dice then you'd expect the chance to get exactly 7 6s to be extremely low.

Yeah, 41 or 42 have a 0.163 chance of rolling exactly 7, which is maximal.

But that's only going to be the case if you generate more dice rolls by creating more bobbleheads and not generating more dice rolls through something like Berserker Class or Pixie Guide, which instruct you to ignore the lowest results. If you're going to try to win through dice rolls, you probably want to include those effects (and Delina) and maximise your chances that way.

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 21, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MrL_JaKiri posted:

^^^ this is what I get for posting before thinking

Yeah, 41 or 42 have a 0.163 chance of rolling exactly 7, which is maximal.

But that's only going to be the case if you generate more dice rolls by creating more bobbleheads and not generating more dice rolls through something like Berserker Class or Pixie Guide, which instruct you to ignore the lowest results. If you're going to try to win through dice rolls, you probably want to include those effects (and Delina) and maximise your chances that way.

Unless you have exactly seven bobbleheads and all the rest of your rolls are from those other effects, you have exactly the same odds of going over and not getting your win.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
This is why God invented mechanized production.
Also in this set.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

So unkicked this is a 2/2, kicked once you get the 2/2 and a 4/4 token. Two kicks and you get the 2/2 and two 5/5s

But it scales both dimensions of doubling season. Nuts with panharmonicon and junk too.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fun squad card fact: if you copy the spell you copy how many times Squad was paid as it's copyable information (like kicker)

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Even the contest-winning goon gets a card.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Ultima66 posted:

It's kind of funny they went with this alternate wincon:

Because it's so insanely low chance to actually hit the win, the only practical way people will every get it to work is by assembling an infinite combo. And because WotC decided to make this an alternate wincon, a LOT more people would try to assemble the infinite combo than otherwise if it just made a ton of treasure tokens or gave some other big advantage.

Except that due to it being tied to rolling a lot of dice with random outcomes, it leads to a 4 horsemen scenario where you can't just say "I have this infinite loop, I'll do it until I win." You actually have to manually play out every single activation. If you set up an infinite loop with 7 bobbleheads, the chance is 1/280,000 each time you roll the dice to win. I saw that mathematically you have the highest chance at 41 dice, not sure on the exact percent chance to win at 41 but no matter how you do it, winning with this card is going to be tedious as all gently caress and not able to be shortcutted.

Are they asking for 7 resolved dice or does anytime a dice is rolled count? What if you have Goblin Bookie, Barbarian Class, Pixie Guide, Wyll, Blade of Frontiers and the like that lets you reroll or roll X+1 dice and lets you drop one of the results. Based on the language of this card it seems that extra roll would still "count" as one of the rolls here.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Everyone arguing about how to optimize their chance at the Luck Bobblehead's victory, meanwhile I'm just gonna use its mountain of treasure tokens to win by Mechanized Production.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

johnny 5 aces is in the art of a magic: the gathering card

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
That’s great

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

I need this signed by Josh Sawyer and whoever drew the original.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

President Ark posted:

...are all these in the survivors deck?

Because good lord this might make it a must-buy for me. Finally, a solution for the main problem of Thirteen's game plan: that sometimes I'm casting cards that are in my hand!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

President Ark posted:

This might go in my Zedru deck.