Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, but he also wrote 28 Days Later and Dredd (including uncredited directing work), and did Ex_Machina.

Even the best directors can have a clunker or two in their oeuvre. If it’s poo poo, it’s poo poo, and in that case so be it, you were right, you’re a brain genius and it turns out your name was Alfred Einstein, but making declarative statements about the quality of the film largely sight unseen and criticising it based on speculation doesn’t seem particularly fair on someone who’s body of work has largely been largely solid.

Yeah, almost every great director has had a poo poo movie. Any who hasn't just hasn't made that many movies yet. 1941 very well could have killed Spielberg's career early on.

And I know people are now going to say 1941 is an under-appreciated classic, but you know what I mean. It's largely hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

Yeah, but he also wrote 28 Days Later and Dredd (including uncredited directing work), and did Ex_Machina.

Even the best directors can have a clunker or two in their oeuvre. If it’s poo poo, it’s poo poo, and in that case so be it, you were right, you’re a brain genius and it turns out your name was Alfred Einstein, but making declarative statements about the quality of the film largely sight unseen and criticising it based on speculation doesn’t seem particularly fair on someone who’s body of work has largely been largely solid.

alfred einstein would never predict a movie is bad.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
1941 is as appreciated as it should be (not), and even that's probably too much.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

Nearly 2 years after the film wrapped initial filming. Movie is going to be bad.

It's been in post for almost 3 years. Roth either gave up or was asked by the studio to go home after he turned in whatever he turned in, then Tim Miller took over to direct reshoots. He's been finishing the edit & VFX for over a year and a half, Roth has nothing to do with it any more.

And if we're talking about disappointing directors here, Roth is way way ahead of Garland in that department.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was wondering where I've recently seen Tim Miller's name and then remembered he directed Terminator: Dark Fate, which I watched yesterday. lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, did you see his last movie?

Men ruled.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Shageletic posted:

Men ruled.
no

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I love Men!

I love watching Men all day, from front to back!

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Dillbag posted:

It's been in post for almost 3 years. Roth either gave up or was asked by the studio to go home after he turned in whatever he turned in, then Tim Miller took over to direct reshoots. He's been finishing the edit & VFX for over a year and a half, Roth has nothing to do with it any more.

And if we're talking about disappointing directors here, Roth is way way ahead of Garland in that department.

Yeah this originally wrapped filming in June 2021 (Blanchett shot it before Tár). The PR line when Miller stepped in was that Roth was unavailable because he was working on Thanksgiving, but I don’t think that happened in that order

to be fair, it’s not completely unprecedented for a movie to turn out well in spite of this sort of mess, but it’s pretty rare

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

it is funny to think of the Borderlands movie being Tár canon

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I hope she does the score.

Also Tim Miller has been disowned by two big Hollywood guys at this point (Ryan Reynolds and James Cameron). He's not even a bad director so I wonder what happened there.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s a loose canon who doesn’t play well with others!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The MSJ posted:

I hope she does the score.

Also Tim Miller has been disowned by two big Hollywood guys at this point (Ryan Reynolds and James Cameron). He's not even a bad director so I wonder what happened there.

Isn't it the other way around? Miller said he left Deadpool 2 because Reynolds wouldn't give him creative control. James Cameron said he'd work with Miller again even though they frequently disagreed on Dark Fate, and that the clashing was just the "creative process." Miller on the other hand said he'd "never work with Cameron again" because he found the creative conflict exhausting, but nothing personal is held against Cameron.

Are there some quotes in which Reynolds and Cameron actually disowned Miller? I think he just wants complete creative control and doesn't want to be part of projects where he's wrestling for that.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

for some reason reading "(Blanchett shot it before Tár). " immediately made me think "borderlands is a prequel to Tar" so I'm glad this idea was not unique to me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Borderlands should end with a reveal that this was all taking place in Tár's head while she conducts an orchestra playing Borderlands music at the same gamer conference.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bugblatter posted:

Are there some quotes in which Reynolds and Cameron actually disowned Miller? I think he just wants complete creative control and doesn't want to be part of projects where he's wrestling for that.

He shouldn’t work on franchises and or passion projects then lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Men was a mixed bag. Annihilation was mixed. Ex Machina was great.

I think Alex Garland’s hits were usually when someone else was directing, and am a little worried that it will turn out to be a pattern

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Deadpool was as much Tim’s passion project as Ryan’s. They had both been pushing for a film for ages. It was Miller’s short film that got the successful iteration made. He also had full control over the first film and was happy with the experience. He just didn’t want to continue on the second film as Reynolds had managed to take creative ownership of the series.

Franchises allowing creative control very much depends on the studio and production team. Lightstorm had creative final say on Dark Fate, which could hypothetically have been in Miller’s favor. From what I’ve heard, he did have full creative control during photography and Cameron didn’t start stepping in until post. I believe Miller has said he did win the “battles” and the final film is what he wanted. But I can get that he wouldn’t want to go through that with Cameron again.

I believe he got what he wanted out of both films but didn’t believe the same would be true if he continued, so he didn’t. Which is fair enough? Some articles seem to try to spin it into more dramatic beef, but it seems to be baseless and designed to get clicks.

He and Fincher seem to continue to get along. I’d like to see that collaboration continue as it’s produced some cool stuff.

Steve Yun posted:

Men was a mixed bag. Annihilation was mixed. Ex Machina was great.

I think Alex Garland’s hits were usually when someone else was directing, and am a little worried that it will turn out to be a pattern

Hmm? Dredd, Annihilation, Ex Machina, Devs, and Men are the ones he wrote and directed. 28 Days Later, The Beach, and Sunshine are the ones he only wrote. (He doesn’t have a directors credit on Dredd, but the producers and cast say he did it and he’s only uncredited due to weird legal issues). Unless you’re one of the few who likes The Beach, the bating average seems similar?

Also, I just now realized we’ve only seen his writing directed by himself and Danny Boyle. I guess I do have to agree that he doesn’t have the same chops as Boyle.

And yeah, Civil War looks bad. Stick to weird scifj, Garland.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 21, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess my point is if he wants creative control he should create something himself from the ground up.

Idk I wasn’t there. But if I remember correctly miller wanted DP2 to be bigger and reynolds didn’t. Of those two choices I think reynolds is correct. Deadpool stories have gotten big and giant in some of the comics, but as someone who only read Deadpool and nothing else, I enjoyed the tales that were just, Deadpool’s story isolated from any larger narrative

But I don’t know what his idea for dp2 was.

I don’t think he’s a bad dude or anything but he definitely seems like a very opinionated person with a vision and that’s totally fine, but it’s hard to collaborate if you are like that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bugblatter posted:

(He doesn’t have a directors credit on Dredd, but the producers and cast say he did it and he’s only uncredited due to weird legal issues).

Learned something new today!

So I guess it’s now fair to say his directed films are a coin toss

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

Or take over directing and editing on someone else's project? Seems a weird thing to dedicate two years of your professional life to if you want complete creative control of everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Just putting this out there, but in the Dredd world there are three Mega-Cities. Dredd works in Mega-City One, which covers the entire east coast. The others are Mega-City Two, which is (was) California and the third is Texas City - the two states that have separated in Civil War. And the status quo of Dredd was established after a civil war where the people of the Mega-Cities rose up against the corrupt president.

TL;DR - Garland has made a stealth prequel to Dredd.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Jedit posted:

Just putting this out there, but in the Dredd world there are three Mega-Cities. Dredd works in Mega-City One, which covers the entire east coast. The others are Mega-City Two, which is (was) California and the third is Texas City - the two states that have separated in Civil War. And the status quo of Dredd was established after a civil war where the people of the Mega-Cities rose up against the corrupt president.

Kirsten Dunst unexpectedly having to fight Judge Death at the end would be fantastic, I'm in.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I guess my point is if he wants creative control he should create something himself from the ground up.

Yeah, ideally. Lot easier to get greenlights and money for known franchises though. He's got a lot of original stuff that was pitched for ages without getting picked up. Some of it has wound up in short form in Love, Death & Robots.

Under his CG Studio Blur, he's spent most of his career directing CG shorts for... every major video game ever, just about. I imagine the developing studios have a fair amount of creative input, so he can't be totally terrible at collaboration. Or maybe spending so long directing other people's visions is the reason why he's adamant about calling shots on his recent live action projects.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Steve Yun posted:

Learned something new today!

So I guess it’s now fair to say his directed films are a coin toss

Or better than a coin toss. Dredd, Annihilation, devs are all great. Ex Machina is good but not great. That's a solid batting average

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the manpreg scene in men is pretty fun

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

Or better than a coin toss. Dredd, Annihilation, devs are all great. Ex Machina is good but not great. That's a solid batting average

For me, Dredd and Ex Machina were excellent and Annihilation and Men were mixed. Haven’t seen Devs

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Steve Yun posted:

For me, Dredd and Ex Machina were excellent and Annihilation and Men were mixed. Haven’t seen Devs

Devs might be my favorite work of his. Ex Machina was beautiful but had a pretty cliched story. Annihilation was an excellent adaptation of an impossible to adapt book.

In conclusion people are a land of contrasts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jedit posted:

Amazing

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jedit posted:

I know this won't be true...but please be true.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I don't get the revulsion to Civil War

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Peccadillo posted:

I kind of agree. I don't think it looks very good, but I don't get the "unapologetically ‘Murica" takes. The Rebels don't look like the good guys, nor does the government. It looks like the downfall of America, from the point of view of journalists.

Like I said, I think it still doesn't look great, but more that it looks a bit meh than pro fascist or something like that.

One commenter said they thought it looked like it was ghost written by Ben Shapiro. That first trailer had Jesse Plemons secessionist character come off as a horrific person, which would not happen in a Shapiro story about a Civil War, where he'd be a hero.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 21, 2024

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
No it doesn't look great. But gently caress you guys, go ham

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know that revulsion is exactly right, but there's definitely an aversion to something like Civil War just simply because of the climate it's being released into. Like, to say "This is the worst political climate we've ever seen in this country!" is obviously hyperbolic (there was a whole real civil war, after all), but there is a grain of truth in the sense that it's not great, and maybe even outright bad. Doesn't help that the election is shaping up to be a 2020 rematch featuring arguably the most odious political figure of the modern era. I think a lot of people are just really frightened of the idea that society might be fracturing around them, and having an entire movie with that as the point is deeply upsetting to them.

It's probably unfair to judge Civil War on these merits since there was no way Garland and everyone else involved could have foreseen the timeline playing out this way when they were filming this in 2022, but, well, them's the breaks.

Edit: now watch it be actually really good

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 21, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

It's probably unfair to judge Civil War on these merits since there was no way Garland and everyone else involved could have foreseen the timeline playing out this way when they were filming this in 2022, but, well, them's the breaks.

I think most people were predicting exactly this back in 2022?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

I kind of agree. I don't think it looks very good, but I don't get the "unapologetically ‘Murica" takes. The Rebels don't look like the good guys, nor does the government. It looks like the downfall of America, from the point of view of journalists.

Like I said, I think it still doesn't look great, but more that it looks a bit meh than pro fascist or something like that.

One commenter said they thought it looked like it was ghost written by Ben Shapiro. That first trailer had Jesse Plemons secessionist character come off as a horrific person, which would not happen in a Shapiro story about a Civil War, where he'd be a hero.

My concern is that even if this is some incisive anti-fascist commentary, it'll still be used as agitprop by actual fascists who don't see that it's a critique of them (see: Starship Troopers). It may be that you know Garland and have some context and preconceptions that you're bringing to bear on this that help guide you to an understanding of the authors intent, but imagine if you did show this as an ad during Ben Shapiro's program. What do you think his audience would make of it? Granted, some people say that you can't control how people will respond to your art, but also making it uselessly non-partisan can serve the ends of your enemies.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I think most people were predicting exactly this back in 2022?

You could be right. My hazy recollection of 2022 was that most conservative outlets were excited about the prospect of Desantis running (lol) and a big "will-he, won't-he" on whether Biden would run again. But I also really only dip my occasional toes into politics for the sake of my own mental health.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Peccadillo posted:

I can only speak for myself, but if it gives any talking points for our current political climate its going to be horrible. Like that trafficking movie that came out and they started showing to all the politicians and now they're all taking trips down to South and Central America. It loving sucks dumb poo poo like a terrible movie can steer politics for 1/3 of the country.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 21, 2024

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU_NKNZljoQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I have zero objection to the apparent content of Civil War, it's just funny that it seems to be A24's The Purge but somehow both dumber and taking itself way more seriously. But if you didn't get all pearl clutching "but our political climate!" about The Purge movies i dunno why you would about this