Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Wiltsghost posted:

Also that they aren't fully giving up on physical.
I don't think that's right. It sounds to me like he's saying "we're not giving up on physical, our customers have."

quote:

I asked Spencer if Xbox would commit to supporting games on discs. It wasn’t a random query.

Spencer wouldn't talk to me last week about that leaked all-digital Series X, but said Microsoft will "follow what the customers are doing."

"We are supportive of physical media, but we don't have a need to drive that disproportionate to customer demand," he told me.

"We ship games physically and digitally, and we're really just following what the customers are doing. And I think our job in running Xbox is to deliver on the things that a majority of the customers want. And right now, a majority of our customers are buying games digitally."

He also hinted at some economic concerns. “Gaming consoles themselves have kind of become the last consumer electronic device that has a drive,” he said. “And this is a real issue, just in terms of the number of manufacturers that are actually building drives and the cost associated with those. And when you think about cogs that we're going to go put in a console—and as you have fewer suppliers and fewer buyers—the cost of the drive does have an impact.

“But I will say our strategy does not hinge on people moving all-digital,” he said. “And getting rid of physical, that's not a strategic thing for us.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
It gonna go away on every platform, get used to it

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Probably do an all digital console but sell a separate drive then. Pretty sure Sony is going this route as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Seltzer posted:

It gonna go away on every platform, get used to it

counterpoint: Nintendo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TheScott2K posted:

This is from 4 years ago.

https://www.thegamer.com/nintendo-digital-sales-more-than-physical/

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That was a lockdown trend, the balance of Switch game sales tilted back toward physical afterward, but digital is up to 48% in 2023 according to some poo poo I googled.

And publishers cheaping out on cartridge size means a lot of Switch carts really are just physical license keys for a digital download, there may not even be an unpatched game there. The physical media situation for Switch 2 is gonna be interesting. 4K graphics are only gonna make the cart problem worse, and I don't see Nintendo ever putting an optical drive on a handheld. Something has to give.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
If carts just become physical license keys and you have to also download the game that will probably work for Nintendo.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

TheScott2K posted:

nintendo is like 2 gens behind on everything so it's not really a counter point. Theyre about to release a new console in 2025 specced at ps4 levels.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nintendo should stay at the PS3.5 level where they are currently lest they stop making games like sony did during the PS4 generation

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Just like the PS3, you can link multiple switch 2s together to create a super computer

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

External Organs posted:

Just like the PS3, you can link multiple switch 2s together to create a super computer

Do not tell North Korea about this one neat trick!

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

Wiltsghost posted:

Says all Actiblizz games will be day one on game pass, including Cod. Also that they aren't fully giving up on physical.

https://twitter.com/stephentotilo/status/1760054821816500434?t=6lrEeM3dG6GS2xh0h7nAyg&s=19

Thank goodness. If physical media dies, that's less control and options consumers have and more control and power companies have. The same companies that couldn't give less of a poo poo about preservation and are much more interested in selling you less for more until doomsday.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Charles Martel posted:

Thank goodness. If physical media dies, that's less control and options consumers have and more control and power companies have. The same companies that couldn't give less of a poo poo about preservation and are much more interested in selling you less for more until doomsday.

That's a quote from the guy who came up with the Series S. Preservation -- don't most Series physical games have a last-gen copy on the disc due to smart delivery? Paging univbee. Phil's just saying he'll let let the trend play out and physical die a natural death rather than try to push it along.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Charles Martel posted:

Lmao

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Seltzer posted:

nintendo is like 2 gens behind on everything so it's not really a counter point. Theyre about to release a new console in 2025 specced at ps4 levels.

everything but sales lol

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages

acksplode posted:

That's a quote from the guy who came up with the Series S. Preservation -- don't most Series physical games have a last-gen copy on the disc due to smart delivery? Paging univbee. Phil's just saying he'll let let the trend play out and physical die a natural death rather than try to push it along.

Well yeah. I'm not saying Phil Spencer is a shining white knight of physical media preservation and Microsoft is an exception to capitalism or something, but it's nice to know that people who still prefer discs are still at least being acknowledged. The whole aforementioned "we're really just following what the customers are doing" stance makes sense from a business standpoint, but if customers just shrug with the whole "discs are dying anyway so what's the point in buying them", they are going to die off even faster.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Anyway, does anybody else remember Gigantic?

It's a Hero-based third-person action MOBA that came out back in 2017 (from being in beta starting in 2015) as a F2P game, but developer Motiga went belly-up by the end of 2017 and the game shut down in 2018. Then out of nowhere one weekend in October of last year, there was a throwback event / playtest on PC which had a decent turnout. That momentum is what is leading it to be resurrected and re-released as Gigantic: Rampage Edition on April 9th. Turns out the publisher for the game merged with Gearbox and are working with developer Abstraction who did some stuff for Baldur's Gate 3. From what I have gathered, it will have all of the original content, plus two new characters, two new maps, and a new Rush mode to start. Cross-play between Xbox, PlayStation, and PC. No F2P monetization and instead will just sell for a flat $19.99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Bdc38DNUM

I've always loved the art style, the characters, and the combat of this game and thought it died too soon after it's official release. Out of all the F2P games I've played that have shut down, Gigantic was my favorite. I'm psyched.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Charles Martel posted:

Emulation is the way to preserve video games. Ultimately it will be the only way. Your precious discs will crumble to dust eventually, as will you.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

John F Bennett posted:

Emulation is the way to preserve video games. Ultimately it will be the only way. Your precious discs will crumble to dust eventually, as will you.

I've got bad news for you about the storage media for those emulators and ROMs.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best
I will last forever, as will my Xbox (both physical)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Game companies forcing the player to fill up their homes with meaningless plastic tchotchkes that don't do anything except go to the internet and download the actual game could be considered another form of control.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

lines posted:

I've got bad news for you about the storage media for those emulators and ROMs.

Where we're going we don't need storage media to play games.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Charles Martel posted:

The same companies that couldn't give less of a poo poo about preservation and are much more interested in selling you less for more until doomsday.

Braindead take considering everything Xbox has done

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Phil would kiss me on the forehead at bedtime but that booty guy gets jealous.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Halo 5 has a so-so story but I’m enjoying the maps and action set pieces.

I spent the last two weeks getting used to the halo style of controls and then in halo 5 they rearrange the buttons to be like most other fps games. Pressing the scanner button and throwing a grenade instead

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Don't a lot of modern Xbox discs still require some kind of online connection to get themselves set up for first run? And don't a lot of Switch games require a download on first run because properly-sized cartridges are crazy expensive to manufacture?

I understand and get the appeal, but having a physical chunk of plastic on your bookshelf is no longer a guarantee that you'll be able to Game Hard after a solar flare or gigantic EMP knocks out all telecommunications activity across the entire globe forever.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Piracy solves this problem. Piracy is the best.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thats why I haven’t bothered getting discs of games that do that

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

And don't a lot of Switch games require a download on first run because properly-sized cartridges are crazy expensive to manufacture?

I'd say they're the exception rather than the rule

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
didn't it take until 2020 for 64GB cards to be released and almost no game uses it so large games you always end up downloading half of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

switch doesnt have lazy devs so you mostly get optimised games

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Don't a lot of modern Xbox discs still require some kind of online connection to get themselves set up for first run? And don't a lot of Switch games require a download on first run because properly-sized cartridges are crazy expensive to manufacture?

https://www.doesitplay.org/

The rule (for now) is that most PS4 and Switch games can be beaten offline without even need patching. This has a higher % if you get indie games releases since they tend to release on disc later so the game in some cases is complete and patched if it needed to.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Speaking of, there's a Nintendo Direct in about 3.5 hours from now. Maybe we'll see Hifi Rush there.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

a Nintendo Direct

We call these "xbox funerals" now.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

https://x.com/Ian_Fisch/status/1759960809818477054?s=20

This looks cool! Will be coming to Xbox later too.

Make sure to watch the video until at least 00:21s

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

grounded and pentiment just got announced for switch

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You skipped ahead in the video......

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Physical games just need to become worth owning.

The industry has collectively whittled down physical gaming to its most pointless form over the years. At this point you're buying a disc, which may or may not actually have any of the game on it, in some flimsy plastic case and that's it.

There will always be a segment of customers who value a physical product, even it becomes a niche minority. The industry just has to do better at producing something people give a poo poo about owning. Look at the resurgence of vinyl. Limited Run Games seem to do OK for themselves (although I appreciate their print runs are likely pretty small?)

Personally I'd bring back the PC big box as the physical standard for all platforms. A nice big chunky box with proper artwork front and center, with the return of well produced manuals/art books. No need for all those garbage plastic statues to come back. Just give me a nice big box and a good manual to look through with some nice art etc in there.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

More importantly, so did Blast Corps for Nintendo Switch Online. I guess it wasn't just four games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the beginning of the end……