Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Finally, Camp Is Dead

Functioning Mirrors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sdrawkcab nettirw si trihs taht

decent joke if done right though

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 21, 2024

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics
I thought the Conan story would have something to do with the fact there's a family of Conan the Barbarian sendups in Tackleford. I did not expect Shailey.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Olive & Popeye

Our Boarding House (March 26-28, 1925)

Out Our Way: Cowboys Revisited (March 27, 1925; timg'd out of caution)

Okay, the reason I didn't do the night deposit yesterday was primarily because Toonerville Folks was missing for an entire week in my main source. So I went looking in several other papers, and it was also missing from the ones that kept up-to-date. So presumably Mr. Fox took a week off for some reason, and if I find out anything different you'll hear it first. (skipping ahead to June 12-14, 1922)

THE RADIO CRAZE IS PRETTY TOUCH ON GRANDPA: Grandpa Botts, who is very deaf and has to wear an earphone, is getting mighty sick and tired of youngsters coming up and asking questions about his "portable radio".

THE TOONERVILLE TROLLEY THAT MEETS ALL THE TRAINS: Chip Wedge, the village decorator, was on the rear of the platform last week with a lot of paint when the car jumped the track and the Skipper seized the chance to put a coat of paint on the car roof.

PATHETIC FIGURES: The youngster whose dog attacked a stray cat and got the worst of it.

Dok's Dippy Boom-Boom (February 7, 1915)

Little Lefty will be back tomorrow-ish.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

thus far we've been mercifully spared the husband feeding the wife

not to mention the twee gremlinoid

Yeah the chubby chasing and the cousins were both pretty awful.

I do like Meemaw a little because she is like the only competent person in the world.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F MInus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

This guy is going to go on a killing spree.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Heart-pounding boot explaining!

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Oh no she broke her neck!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

I swear, this substitute artist is tripping balls constantly.

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Heart-pounding boot explaining!
Surprised 'ol Murph didn't pop in to start singing, "Muddy Boots"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Murdstone posted:

Oh no she broke her neck!

Is... is this Loss

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Grandaddy of Loss

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Antivehicular posted:

Is... is this Loss

Oh my god, it IS

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

Is... is this Loss

good lord

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:aaaaa:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The culmination of decades of these threads, finally revealed.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Yes, part one is missing. Yes, it's like that on gocomics. No, I don't know why, and neither do the commenters:

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

This guy is going to go on a killing spree.

:patriot:

The audience is also still in the dark about Brad.

But I think Ham Beefington here means that like... during the two decades that they never spoke, Kitty neglected to get in touch with him and inform him that she had exchanged names and had a conversation with another man.

Antivehicular posted:

Is... is this Loss

Baby don't hurt me

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Selachian posted:

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/14-16/77

Can someone tase Marty in the balls

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's the full date on that Apartment 3-G strip that prefigured Loss?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

El Santo:

El Santo's debut on MST3K, timestamped to his first entrance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJDkuBeV_QA&t=2756s

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 20, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Mexikid Stories

Yes, part one is missing. Yes, it's like that on gocomics. No, I don't know why, and neither do the commenters:

i found it on the webpage, but it only shows one panel at a time so i'm too :effort: to post it. weird that it's not on gocomics though!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

someone awful. posted:

i found it on the webpage, but it only shows one panel at a time so i'm too :effort: to post it. weird that it's not on gocomics though!

I stitched it together. Not as good as the gocomics versions, but better than nothing:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

someone awful. posted:

it's never been anywhere near 9CWL levels of bad in its entire history. the original artist was just very obviously into fat women and there were some strips with the thinner Rose compared negatively to her larger mother, stuff about her needing to eat more/feeding her stuff, that gave off some seriously horny vibes (in that repressed Catholic way it does all emotions, anyway)

In addition to this, and the baby who speaks in full adult sentences that are rendered in an annoying eye dialogue, the strip is kind of like Macanudo in that it has a lot of trite cutesy stuff in it that's presented as being profound. I don't really hate it myself, but I do find it hard to connect with most of the time. The guardian angel, Rose acting like enjoying jalapenos makes her a rebel, the weird thing with everyone acting like garlic is poison, etc. It has a very "stereotype of people from the midwest" approach to food in particular.

I think the only part of the strip I actually genuinely dislike though is how it often depicts the teacher as relaxing on a beach during her very long and luxurious vacations away from her very easy job. The strip presents the teacher as a good person, but it really leans into some bad ideas about what teaching is like that have real consequences in the US, where half our voting public seem to want to eliminate public schooling or whatever.

It's perfect.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I stitched it together. Not as good as the gocomics versions, but better than nothing:

Thank you!

Vintage Valiant (Nov. 12, 1961)

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Boltar :allears:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Flash Gordon

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

Yeah the chubby chasing and the cousins were both pretty awful.

I do like Meemaw a little because she is like the only competent person in the world.

Strong disagree here. I hate her the most. She's absolute wish fulfillment for the old ladies who make up the core audience of the strip- a 300 pound elderly woman who is such a badass that shes always easily doing physical feats that literally leave the healthy young people gasping for breath. It's like a super hero fantasy for the retirement home crowd.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I know what Happy Families is but I don't get this one.

Boti

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/20/04

Brenda Starr 9/4-6/52

Smokey Stover 11/29/59

Everyday Movies 4/7/37

"9:06! 9:11! 9:08! Gee, Stell must be going to be married -- she don't care if she's fired or not."

I was curious what that thing is, and it turns out to be an early model punch clock, one of the first products of the company that would become IBM. It'd have been a bit of an antique even in 1937.

Count Bluggy of Bathsville? 3/4-6/43

Closer Than We Think! 11/29/59

I suppose we have this now, although I don't know how many Philadelphians are studying the Buenos Aires want ads.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Selachian posted:

I know what Happy Families is but I don't get this one.

The butcher's wife cheated on him with the postman and both kids were actually fathered by the postman

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

There is no way this guy hasn't sprained his ankle before and had to have some sort of support on it while it healed (and presumably while he worked through it at exactly the same rate)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

There is no way this guy hasn't sprained his ankle before and had to have some sort of support on it while it healed (and presumably while he worked through it at exactly the same rate)

If he's an old pro wrestler, he's probably used to treating ankle sprains with fistfuls of high-test painkillers he bought off some guy in a locker room.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Feb 21, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

50% MORE ABSORBENT COMIX/THORN, February 7-9, 1984
Bonus comic today because it's the last strip in Winter 1984

Note 15:

quote:

Where's the Beef Lady from Wendy's Commercials
A 1984 commercial campaign for the hamburger chain Wendy's featured a cantankerous little old lady, buying a burger in a competitor's shop, who, peeling back the bun, demands with outrage: Where's the beef?! The commercials were very popular and the actor, Clara Peller, was well known to anyone who watched TV. She guest starred in TV shows and movies as the "Where's the beef" character.
Note 16:

quote:

Brutus Buckeye
A giant buckeye headed character with a Block "O" baseball hat, is the mascot for The Ohio State University.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Haven't been following this too closely, but speaking as an introvert myself, working hard to "bring me out of my shell" is only going to make me retreat further into it; especially if you're as annoyingly chipper as she is.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Haven't been following this too closely, but speaking as an introvert myself, working hard to "bring me out of my shell" is only going to make me retreat further into it; especially if you're as annoyingly chipper as she is.

but she is a psychologist so she is amazing at telling you what is wrong with you and how to treat it!

narration: no, she is not.

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(2/4/1994)

(2/5/1994)

Ziggy

(9/11/1971)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley